Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default knife sharpening stone

Another question about knife sharpening. I have some old knives I can
experiment with and want to try a stone. I've seen some (like the Lansky's)
that have 4 or 5 stones. I know I want one with a guide (for the sharpening
angle) but as for the stones, why do I need so many different honed stones?
Are there different stages of knife sharpening where you start with one
stone (i.e. the medium honed) and then go to the fine honed one? Should I
buy one stone with a guide?

Thanks!

Eddie G

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 20:30:05 -0500, Eddie G wrote:

> Another question about knife sharpening. I have some old knives I can
> experiment with and want to try a stone. I've seen some (like the Lansky's)
> that have 4 or 5 stones. I know I want one with a guide (for the sharpening
> angle) but as for the stones, why do I need so many different honed stones?
> Are there different stages of knife sharpening where you start with one
> stone (i.e. the medium honed) and then go to the fine honed one? Should I
> buy one stone with a guide?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eddie G

This oughta answer your question betther than I can.
http://users.ameritech.net/knives/index.htm

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Eddie, always buy a set with 3 or more stones.

Matthew, thanks for the plug.
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff
www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com
Remove REMOVE from address when replying

MatthewK wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 20:30:05 -0500, Eddie G wrote:
>
>> Another question about knife sharpening. I have some old knives I can
>> experiment with and want to try a stone. I've seen some (like the Lansky's)
>> that have 4 or 5 stones. I know I want one with a guide (for the sharpening
>> angle) but as for the stones, why do I need so many different honed stones?
>> Are there different stages of knife sharpening where you start with one
>> stone (i.e. the medium honed) and then go to the fine honed one? Should I
>> buy one stone with a guide?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Eddie G

> This oughta answer your question betther than I can.
> http://users.ameritech.net/knives/index.htm

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Peter A wrote:

> Not true. If you know what you are doing, one stone is all you need. If
> you do not know you are doing, 20 stones are not enough.

Sharpening is a process of grinding, honing and polishing with
progressively finer and finer abrasives. Light sharpening may be
accomplished with only one fine stone, but a complete job in a
reasonable time requires 3 or more stones AND knowing what you are doing.

Steve