Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Frigidaire gas range -- opinions needed

Hi all,

I am considering to buy a PLGFMZ96EC Frigidaire gas range. Has anybody
had any experience with this (or similar) model?

Also, while exploring the subject of convection, I figured one should
search for "true" convection (with the heated element). I was not able
to figure out if this specific (or any other Frigidaire) model has this
heated element, so if someone could help me in this regard it would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Arkadiy

Posted to rec.food.equipment
sd sd is offline

In article .com>,
"Arkadiy" > wrote:

> I am considering to buy a PLGFMZ96EC Frigidaire gas range. Has anybody
> had any experience with this (or similar) model?

I've had a Lowe's-specification GLGF388D for almost two years now.
It lacks the fifth burner and second oven of the one you mentioned,
and it's white. The grates are a little different, too, but no big
deal. I'm quite happy with mine. The 16,000-BTU burner is
significantly more powerful than most burners in this price range.
The rest of the range is pretty low on the annoyance quotient, too.

> Also, while exploring the subject of convection, I figured one should
> search for "true" convection (with the heated element). I was not able
> to figure out if this specific (or any other Frigidaire) model has this
> heated element, so if someone could help me in this regard it would be
> greatly appreciated.

In looking at the wiring diagram for this model, which can be
downloaded from the Frigidaire Web site, there is both a convection
fan and an "assist" element.

sd
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Arkadiy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I am considering to buy a PLGFMZ96EC Frigidaire gas range.

Any reason you don't want a better brand? Frigidaire is in the bottom half
of quality.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
sd sd is offline

In article > ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> Any reason you don't want a better brand? Frigidaire is in the bottom half
> of quality.

According to whom?

sd
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"sd" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
>> Any reason you don't want a better brand? Frigidaire is in the bottom
>> half
>> of quality.

> According to whom?
>
> sd

Don't take my word for it, do some research. 30 years ago Frigidaire was a
top quality brand, but they have lowered their standards for the mass
market. Check out reliability ratings.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
sd sd is offline

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "sd" > wrote in message
> > In article > ,
> > "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> >
> >> Any reason you don't want a better brand? Frigidaire is in the bottom
> >> half
> >> of quality.

> > According to whom?
> >
> > sd
> >

> Don't take my word for it, do some research. 30 years ago Frigidaire was a
> top quality brand, but they have lowered their standards for the mass
> market. Check out reliability ratings.

Like I said, according to whom? Frigidaire may have been a good
brand 30 years ago; 15 years ago (the White-Consolidated era) they
were cr@p; the current product line, loss-leaders aside, isn't bad
at all.

Sears (still the top appliance retailer in the country) does
business with every major appliance manufacturer in the U.S.,
including Frigidaire (Electrolux, actually). If Frigidaire were such
bad news, Sears would drop them like a rock. Instead, they let
Frigidaire build their top-of-the-line gas range (Kenmore Elite).
I'd say Frigidaire is at least "good enough".

If by "reliability ratings" you're referring to the spew in Consumer
Reports, their survey methodology is so flawed and oversimplified
that the information they provide is pretty near worthless. Don't
ever buy a product -- or refuse to buy one -- simply because CR
likes it or doesn't. There are too many questions behind their
conclusions.

sd
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"sd" > wrote in message

> Sears (still the top appliance retailer in the country) does
> business with every major appliance manufacturer in the U.S.,
> including Frigidaire (Electrolux, actually). If Frigidaire were such
> bad news, Sears would drop them like a rock. Instead, they let
> Frigidaire build their top-of-the-line gas range (Kenmore Elite).
> I'd say Frigidaire is at least "good enough".

I've been a part supplier to Frigidaire and we've made some of the parts for
the Sears specified appliances. Sears is as big an appliance whore as any
retailer. They are interested in profit, as is Frigidaire. As longs as you
keep buying, they will keep selling. Your money, your choice, but it is not
the brand I'd buy. I've been in their plants, worked with their engineers,
designers, QC people.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
sd sd is offline

In article > ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "sd" > wrote in message
>
> > Sears (still the top appliance retailer in the country) does
> > business with every major appliance manufacturer in the U.S.,
> > including Frigidaire (Electrolux, actually). If Frigidaire were such
> > bad news, Sears would drop them like a rock. Instead, they let
> > Frigidaire build their top-of-the-line gas range (Kenmore Elite).
> > I'd say Frigidaire is at least "good enough".

> I've been a part supplier to Frigidaire and we've made some of the parts for
> the Sears specified appliances. Sears is as big an appliance whore as any
> retailer. They are interested in profit, as is Frigidaire. As longs as you
> keep buying, they will keep selling. Your money, your choice, but it is not
> the brand I'd buy. I've been in their plants, worked with their engineers,
> designers, QC people.

*shrug* The Frigidaire products I own (washer, dryer, range) have
worked well over the last several years. The ultimate brand in any
category? No. But "good enough".

The Internet has made it far easier to pool the experiences of other
people with goods and services. Seems to me that if a product truly
has gone downhill, word gets around (Maytag, anyone?). Seems to me
that if Electrolux-sourced appliances were costing Sears in bad
publicity, warranty calls, and unhappy customers, Sears would
replace Electrolux with one of their other vendors, not promote them
to top-of-the-line. Whatever profit delta exists by sticking with a
poor product could not make up for the soft losses Sears would
experience.

So -- getting back to your original assertion -- who out there can
say credibly that Frigidaire "is in the bottom half of quality"?

sd
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"sd" > wrote in message
> So -- getting back to your original assertion -- who out there can
> say credibly that Frigidaire "is in the bottom half of quality"?
>
> sd

No one you'd believe. I can give you a list of names of their design
engineers that you can ask.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
sd sd is offline

In article > ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "sd" > wrote in message
> > So -- getting back to your original assertion -- who out there can
> > say credibly that Frigidaire "is in the bottom half of quality"?
> >
> > sd

> No one you'd believe. I can give you a list of names of their design
> engineers that you can ask.

So nobody with credible aggregate numbers, just people with opinions
(however informed)?

Yeah, I think this discussion is over.

sd

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"sd" > wrote in message
> So nobody with credible aggregate numbers, just people with opinions
> (however informed)?
>
> Yeah, I think this discussion is over.
>
> sd

The numbers are there. Look at some of the frequency of repair figures that
are readily available.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "sd" > wrote in message
> > So nobody with credible aggregate numbers, just people with opinions
> > (however informed)?
> >
> > Yeah, I think this discussion is over.
> >
> > sd

> The numbers are there. Look at some of the frequency of repair figures that
> are readily available.

Actually, according to consumerreports.org, Frigidaire is one of the
most reliable brands as far as gas ranges are concerned. The only ones
who are slightly better are Hotpoint and GE... Kenmore, Whirlpool,
Maytag, Amanta, KitchenAid, and Viking all have much higher problem
rate than Frigidaire. Again, according to consumerreports.org, for gas
ranges.

Regards,
Arkadiy