Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Mildew in potscrubbers and sponges

I'm having a real problem with mildew building up in my potscrubbers. I keep
them out of standing water, but usually within a week or two a new scrubber
will start to smell. Running them through the dishwasher gets rid of the
smell for a few days, but then it's back. Does anyone have any ideas for
keeping them mildew free for long periods? FYI, we live in a fairly humid
climate.

Remsleep

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Stu Stu is offline

Try putting a spot of antibactrial wasing up liquid on it and srunching
up to distribute whilst damp. I do this whan I leave sponge overnight
as well as chucking them in the dishwasher (when I remember). Surely
your DW must be on frequently, maybe have 2 lots and alternate in DW.

Stu
http://www.cateringappliancesltd.co.uk

Posted to rec.food.equipment
sd sd is offline

In article . net>,
"Remsleep" > wrote:

> I'm having a real problem with mildew building up in my potscrubbers. I keep
> them out of standing water, but usually within a week or two a new scrubber
> will start to smell. Running them through the dishwasher gets rid of the
> smell for a few days, but then it's back. Does anyone have any ideas for
> keeping them mildew free for long periods? FYI, we live in a fairly humid
> climate.

You need to make sure your "scrubbie" is clear of food particles,
especially those which may have worked their way into inner layers
of the scrubbie.

Something else you might try is to microwave your scrubbie for 60
seconds or so (depending on how powerful your oven is). Watch it the
first couple of times you do it to make sure it's not melting -- and
it _will_ be hot when you take it out of the microwave. But I do
something similar with cellulose sponges and I can't recall the last
time I had to toss one because of mildew.

sd
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Remsleep wrote:
> I'm having a real problem with mildew building up in my potscrubbers. I keep
> them out of standing water, but usually within a week or two a new scrubber
> will start to smell. Running them through the dishwasher gets rid of the
> smell for a few days, but then it's back. Does anyone have any ideas for
> keeping them mildew free for long periods? FYI, we live in a fairly humid
> climate.
>
> Remsleep

Assuming your pots aren't contaminated <grin> with Teflon, I'd
recommend trying the copper "Chore Boy" scrubbers. Copper has natural
anti-microbial properties. Plus, Chore Boy is a top-rated scouring pad
that rinses out cleanly and easily and cleans pots and pans
aggressively. Its open structure should breathe nicely, and I've never
had any scent-related problems with mine.

(2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges ChattyCathy General Cooking 54 30-09-2010 06:39 PM
Powdery Mildew Strongarm Winemaking 6 03-09-2009 07:37 PM
Sponges OldGreyBob Sourdough 1 29-10-2006 12:48 AM
powdery mildew Jeff Chorniak Winemaking 2 30-08-2005 11:57 PM
Powdery mildew Darwin Vander Stelt Winemaking 5 24-08-2004 04:21 PM