Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

Default Broken Glass on Smoothtop range...replacing?

Hi, all.

I have a Whirlpool RC3024 ceran-top range. Yesterday, the glass top was
broken due to a minor accident.

Local suppliers quote replacement glass to be about $300, which is what
I was expecting, but I've not been able to find out details on how to
physically replace the glass.

If someone has any information on how to accomplish this, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
-intrepid

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

MY buddy dropped a hammer through one and we researched fixing it.
The cooktop is a factory sealed unit so the whole thing get's replaced.
As a result we replaced the entire range for about $150 more than the
repair would have cost.
Now when he remodels kitchens he plywoods over the tops!
wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I have a Whirlpool RC3024 ceran-top range. Yesterday, the glass top was
> broken due to a minor accident.
>
> Local suppliers quote replacement glass to be about $300, which is what
> I was expecting, but I've not been able to find out details on how to
> physically replace the glass.
>
> If someone has any information on how to accomplish this, I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -intrepid

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

wrote:
> MY buddy dropped a hammer through one and we researched fixing it.
> The cooktop is a factory sealed unit so the whole thing get's replaced.
> As a result we replaced the entire range for about $150 more than the
> repair would have cost.
> Now when he remodels kitchens he plywoods over the tops!

A friend of mine bought one of these for his part time vacation home
which he also rents out. It was only a few months old when some
renters put a nice big chip/crack in it. He didn't notice it until he
had returned their securtiy deposit.

I checked into the price of a replacement and it was ~$300. The whole
range only cost like $375. So, from a practical standpoint, he's
learned to live with it.

In looking at the online drawings, I came to the same conclusion as
Bamboo. It looked like the glass was part of the the whole top
assembly and it gets replaced as one.

wrote:
> > Hi, all.
> >
> > I have a Whirlpool RC3024 ceran-top range. Yesterday, the glass top was
> > broken due to a minor accident.
> >
> > Local suppliers quote replacement glass to be about $300, which is what
> > I was expecting, but I've not been able to find out details on how to
> > physically replace the glass.
> >
> > If someone has any information on how to accomplish this, I'd
> > appreciate it.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > -intrepid

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

All:

After I posted this, I discovered that the glass is captured onto the
unit via the top trim strip, which itself is secured to the sides of
the unit via a series of simple screws. I removed the screws, lifted
off the trim strip, and removed the broken pieces with no difficulty.
It is not sealed or glued in place; it merely rests atop the cooktop
box.

It turns out there was another entire shard of glass that had broken
through which was invisible until I started removing the pieces.

I did contemplate replacing the unit with a conventional cooktop, but
scheduling an installer for the electrical hookup is going to be more
of a hassle than it's worth (plus an extra hundred bucks apparently). I
can replace the glass myself in five minutes, so I plan to order the
replacement glass later today.

Thanks,
intrepid

Dave Bugg wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > If someone has any information on how to accomplish this, I'd
> > appreciate it.

> The whole top is replaced, not just the glass. Mine has developed cracks
> throughout the whole top; I've been ignoring it and will replace the whole
> unit when it no longer functions.
> --
> Dave

www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

All:

Don't know if anyone is even keeping up with this, but just in case....

I was able to order the replacement glass from Whirlpool, and installed
it as predicted in about 10 minutes. The stove is back in operation and
working perfectly.

-intrepid

www.davebbq.com