Default Brewing Temperature Test, Braun KF-157B Automatic Drip Coffeemaker

Tonight, July 7, I slid the FootLoose Clarity to the back of the counter to
make space for the next test victim. This is my Braun KF-157B drip
coffeemaker that I bought some time in 1998 from Turnpike Appliance in
Jeriko, New York. This machine has a claimed power consumption rating of
120V/AC, 60 Hz, and 1200 watts, and a claimed 12-cup capacity. Of course,
In most of the European continent, a coffee "cup" is considerably smaller
than what most Americans think of as a "cup" of coffee these days. A full
tank in the back means a little over 66 ounces or so. We're apparently
talking about something around, or slightly less than a 5-ounce cup. I did
not have one of Braun's carbon granule filter cartridges installed, so that
space was available for water, since I also did not plug in their "space
compensator" for when you don't have the water filter.

This is a simple beast, a small 2-position switch for On/Off,
and one just like it and positioned right under it, for
NOrmal brew or "small batch". A small batch is defined as
brewing four cups or less. I'll use the Normal switch setting.

All the stuff I used in the other tests are the same: Same voiced-output
cooking thermometer with the five-inch long, nail-like steel probe; same
Sony WM-SR1 cassette recorder to tape the action for later dictation; same
batch of Eight O'clock coffee beans, which would be ground fresh just before
brewing.

This KF-157B, (the <B> designated Black), was made in Mexico. Only the
design and the old-style top-reinforced carafe, were made in Germany.

I'm going to have two very small problems right away. The Flavor-Guard flap
over the flat-channeled spout in the carafe means the cover on the carafe
will need to be raised slightly when I insert the thermometer's probe to get
the water temperature in carafe on warmer plate a couple minutes after
brewing. Also, this design has a rather tight fit for the brew basket
under the top cover that contains the drip spout. To get that stiff probe
in there during brewing, I'll be leaving a fairly nice gap; which I"ll have
to keep as tightly closed as possible by using a finger to keep a steady
pressure on the basket to hold it in place, and to keep the thermometer's
business end positioned at a good angle so the tip is well inserted down
into the ground coffee in the filter. This model puts out some serious hot
and heavy steam in the last three or four minutes of its brewing cycle.

Temperature in the test chamber, (my kitchen): 71.4 degrees Fahrenheit
THe air conditioner is working nicely tonight. Maybe that's because it is
not so hot outside this evening.
Temperature of water in fill tank, 75.5 degrees
The coffee is a bit chilled, because it has been recently in the freezer:
Temperature in ground coffee in filter basket, 59.4 degrees.

Start watch:
5 seconds, throw switches on coffeemaker
10 seconds, 58.9 degrees
pumping noises
20 seconds, 92 degrees
30 seconds, the thermometer kept its voiced reading to itself, I can not see
to read the LCD readout;
40 seconds, 168.3 degrees
50 seconds, 177.3 degrees
1 minute, 180 degrees
1 minute 10 seconds, 181 degrees
1 minute 18 seconds, 180.9 degrees
1 minute 28 seconds, 177.3 degrees
Stronger pumping, heavy dripping of coffee into carafe
1 minute 37 seconds, 183.1 degrees
1 minute 44 seconds, 185.4 degrees
1 minute 51 seconds, no voiced reading
2 minutes 7 seconds, still no announcement
2 minutes 14 seconds, 188.1 degrees
2 minutes 22 seconds, 189.4 degrees
2 minutes 28 seconds, 190.2 degrees
2 minutes 34 seconds, no announcement
2 minutes 38 seconds, 190 degrees
2 minutes 45 seconds, 19.4 degrees
2 minutes 54 seconds, 190.9 degrees
3 minutes, 190.4 degrees
3 minutes 10 seconds, 190.9 degrees
3 minutes 19 seconds, 192 degrees
3 minutes 28 seconds, 193 degrees
3 minutes 35 seconds, 193 degrees
3 minutes 46 seconds, 194 degrees
3 minutes 57 seconds, 194 degrees
4 minutes 4 seconds, no announcement
4 minutes 9 seconds, 194.8 degrees
4 minutes 15 seconds, 195 degrees
4 minutes 22 seconds, no announcement
4 minutes 26 seconds, 194.1 degrees
4 minutes 32 seconds, ---;
4 minutes 36 seconds, 192.8 degrees
4 minutes 44 seconds, heavier sputtering
4 minutes 47 seconds, 192.4 degrees
4 minutes 54 seconds, 191.6 degrees
5 minutes 1 second, 190... the voice wimps out before finishing the readout
5 minutes 10 seconds, 191 (wimpout)
5 minutes 17 seconds, 192...(wimp-out)
5 minutes 27 seconds, 192...
5 minutes 38 seconds 193.1 degrees
5 minutes 45 seconds, 193.6 degrees
5 minutes 52 seconds, strong pumping, heavy gurgling, lots of steam
5 minutes 56 seconds, 193...
6 minutes 6 seconds, 193.7 degrees
6 minutes 12 seconds, no voice
6 minutes 16 seconds, 193?
6 minutes 25 seconds, 192?
6 minutes 43 seconds, 193.6 degrees
6 minutes 50 seconds, 193.9 degrees
7 minutes 2 seconds, 194.3 degrees
7 minutes 8 seconds, 195.3 degrees
7 minutes 18 seconds, 196.4 degrees
7 minutes 22 seconds, 196.3 degrees
7 minutes 34 seconds, this thing is hot to hold! 198.
7 minutes 43 seconds, 198.8 degrees
7 minutes 49 seconds, 198.
8 minutes, 199.1 degrees
8 minutes 9 seconds, 202 degrees Fahrenheit
8 minutes 13 seconds, 202 degrees
8 minutes 18 seconds, no voice
8 minutes 22 seconds, 202.4 degrees (heavy gurgling
8 minutes 28 seconds, 202.9 degrees, louder gurgling, near end
8 minutes 34 seconds, 205 degrees What a steamer!
8 minutes 48 seconds, 203.3 degrees, switch shuts off
8 minutes 59 seconds, 201.7 degrees, still gurgling
9 minutes 5 seconds, 202.4 degrees
9 minutes 12 seconds, 202.4 degrees, still dripping into carafe
9 minutes 21 seconds, 201.1 degrees
9 minutes 28 seconds, 200.7 degrees, still dripping
9 minutes 35 seconds, 200.7 degrees
9 minutes 41 seconds, 199.9 degrees, solid hot coffee grounds
This brew has essentially ended.
9 minutes 50 seconds, 199 degrees
10 minutes, remove thermometer from filter, wipe off, place into carafe
10 minutes 16 seconds, 180.9 degrees
10 minutes 24 seconds, 184.4 degrees
10 minutes 31 seconds, 185 degrees
10 minutes 37 seconds, 185.3 degrees
10 minutes 46 seconds, no voice
10 minutes 50 seconds, 185.4 degrees
10 minutes 58 seconds, 185.3 degrees
11 minutes 5 seconds, 185.4 degrees
11 minutes 12 seconds, 185.3 degrees.

It is a smooth brew, but not quite as strong as I like. This unit needs a
finer grind with this coffee than the Clarity likes; I also should have used
more coffee. It's not a sink drink, but this machine has done, and can do,
better. I think temps would have been higher inside the brewing basket had
the basket been propperly closed.

This KF-157B does take longer to reach brewing temps within that magical
194-203-degrees Fahrenheit range, (90 to 95 degrees Celsius) than do either
my Presto or my Clarity, but it still manages to hold its own in brew flavor
and quality once I fiddle out the optimum grind setting, something we also
must do with the other machines.

It's no joke, guys! Unless you like and can and will settle for the
pre-ground choice from the big food packaging companies and you usually use
and like their products, if you're going to experiment with different
varieties and roasts of whole-bean coffees, a good-quality grinder is
absolutely essential, even for brewed coffee.

A good-quality burr-type grinder is not important just for espresso. A
helicopter-blade-style chopper-type grinder really is not good enough, even
for drip coffee. It may not be as critical as for a mid-priced or higher
pump espresso machine, but if you skimp out on the grinder, you'll be
cheating yourself out of a coffee experience that will bee all that it can
be.

Brent Reynolds, Atlanta, GA USA
Email: Phone: 1-404-814-0768