FoodBanter.com

-   Coffee (https://www.foodbanter.com/coffee/)
-   -   Coffee Brewing Temperature Test, Manual Pour-Over (https://www.foodbanter.com/coffee/64645-coffee-brewing-temperature-test.html)

[email protected] 06-07-2005 08:10 PM

Coffee Brewing Temperature Test, Manual Pour-Over

The Fifth victim in my coffee brewing temperature test is a combination of
an assortment of gadgets, assembled to test the temperature drop one might
get in a real-world setup when brewing a standard-sized travel mug of coffee
using a Melitta-style No. 2 filter cone positioned over the travel mug.

The heat source is provided by a 15-year-old Sunbeam Hot-Shot Hot Water
dispenser, a device which claims to deliver 16 ounces of water heated enough
for tea, coffee, or soup, in 90 seconds. The cavity under the drip spout
can accommodate a mug up to about 5 inches in diameter, and at least
4-and-one-half inches tall, easily accommodating 16 ounces of capacity.

It's a simple little beast. You pour water into the top section onto a
heater element, place the catch mug underneath, plug it in, and press a
little paddle-like switch above your cup, under the front of the water tank
section. about 90 seconds to two minutes later, press the other little
paddle on the front to raie up a rocker arm containing the rubber gasket
stopper, opening up a hole for the water to drip into your waiting mug.
There is no warmer plate to or coil to assist in keeping the water hot after
the heater element has shut off.

The catch mug is a 500ML-capacity Yi Xing clay mug, which has been warmed up
by being rinsed in hot water from the kitchen sink faucet. The filter cone
is the no. 2-size Melitta-style modified cone and its holder from the Black
and Decker Brew-'N-Go one-cup coffeemaker, and it will be placed atop a
stainless-steel double-walled travel mug with its lid on so its restricted
drink opening can assist in backing up the water in the filter cone. I
won't be able to pour more than about 1/3 of the hot water into the cone at
one time. I elected to Not use any ground coffee in this test. All items
that will catch and hold water have been pre-warmed for the test.

ON the first pass, we run water through the Hot-Shot beginning with a cold
start. After it has been thus warmed up, the Hot-Shot got a second run of
water, while it was still very warm, although not the same water that was
already heated.

The pour-over process was added as part of the third brew run of the
Hot-Shot.
The whole test session took less than 30 minutes.

First Brew:

HOt-Shot is at room temp; water is "cold" from the faucet; catch mug has not
been warmed up in advance.

Air temperature, 77.9 degrees Fahrenheit
Thermometer goes into the water in the tank, lid is closed, with only the
minimal opening necessary for the barrel of the thin probe to pass, leaving
the thermometer's electronics, outside the water.
Stopwatch is activated:
5 seconds, press switch on Hot-Shot
10 seconds, 79.7 degrees, heating begins
20 seconds, 90 degrees
30 seconds, 107.1 degrees
40 seconds, 117.4 degrees
50 seconds, 121.1 degrees
1 minute, noise increases to a roar, 133 degrees
1 minute 4 seconds, 138.2 degrees
1 minute 12 seconds, 144.2 degrees
1 minute 15 seconds, 156.3 degrees
1 minute 24 seconds, 161.5 degrees
1 minute 31 seconds, 174.3 degrees
1 minute 36 seconds, 179.3 degrees
1 minute 44 seconds, 183 degrees
1 minute 53 seconds, switch clicks, 197.3 degrees Fahrenheit

2 minutes 11 seconds, move thermometer into catch mug, press to drip
2 minutes 48 seconds, tank empty, mug full
2 minutes 55 seconds, 181.9 degrees
3 minutes 2 seconds, 181.5 degrees

3 minutes 16 seconds, 179.3 degrees
3 minutes 27 seconds, 178.6 degrees
3 minutes 34 seconds, 178.4 degrees
3 minutes 41 seconds, 178.2 degrees
3 minutes 48 seconds, 177.8 degrees
3 minutes 55 seconds, 177.4 degrees
4 minutes 5 seconds, 177.2 degrees
4 minutes 12 seconds, 176.9 degrees
4 minutes 21 seconds, 176.1 degrees
4 minutes 29 seconds, 175.9 degrees
4 minutes 46 seconds, 175.1 degrees
5 minutes, 174.7 degrees Fahrenheit.

I had left the mug in the HOt-Shot's cradle, so the top would flow the
escape of heat to the outside air.

POuring hot water from mug into a bowl:
5 minutes 35 seconds, 171.5 degrees
Pour into the bowl:
6 minutes, 158 degrees
POur more into bowl:
6 minutes 9 seconds, 158.5 degrees

POur more water from mug into bowl:
6 minutes 18 seconds, 160.6 degrees

Pour rest of water into bowl:
6 minutes 25 seconds, 159.6 degrees Fahrenheit.

There was a second brewing of cold-faucet-temperature water through the
Hot-Shot, resulting in a slightly lower maximum reading that on the first
run.

Manual Pour-over brew test, (No coffee)
Warm Hot-Shot
Faucet temp water added to warm Hot-Shot

Air temperature in kitchen, 79.9 degrees Fahrenheit
Temp of water in tank, 82.7 degrees

5 seconds, Hit switch
20 seconds, heating begins
40 seconds, Roaring, 144 degrees
50 seconds, 165 degrees
1 minute 26 seconds, 194.3 degrees
1 minute 32 sedconds, 200.7 degrees
Machine shuts off.

1 minute 39 seconds, 198.3 degrees

2 minutes, drip water from Hot-Shot into prewarmed catch mug
2 minutes 23 seconds, 183 degrees, in the catch mug

3 minutes, begin dripping water into coffee filter, 172.6 degrees in filter
cone

POur more water:
4 minutes 22 seconds, 165.3 degrees
4 minutes 33 seconds, water still in cone
5 minutes, transfer thermometer to cup:
5 minutes 23 seconds, 162.1 degrees Fahrenheit
5 minutes 39 seconds, 161.6 degrees (inside the insulated stainless travel
mug.

Remove thermometer from mug, and measure drop toward room temperatu

6 minutes, 132 degrees
6 minutes 7 seconds, 99 degrees
6 minutes 12 seconds, 93.3 degrees
6 minutes 17 seconds, 89.1 degrees
6 minutes 22 seconds, 85.6 degrees
6 minutes 28 seconds, 183.2 degrees
6 minutes 32 seconds, 82.4 degrees
6 minutes 36 seconds, 81.6 degrees
6 minutes 47 seconds, 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

6 minutes 53 seconds, 79.1 degrees
7 minutes, 78.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

ON that test run, I did not use the full 16-ounce capacity of the Hot-Shot.
There may have been at least 14 ounces of water used. NOw I guess I"ll need
to get one of those real Melitta pour-over cones and matching carafe and run
this test again, this time with coffee in the filter cone. Who knows, I
might even do what would make old Melitta Benz proud and use one of her
company's paper filters instead of the permanent filters I prefer.

I knew there would be a temperature drop once I removed the water from the
heat source in the transfer to the filter cone and the ultimate drinking
mug, but I really did not expect to get readings that would show that much
temperature drop in that little time.

I have a small kitchen counter. The water heating device and the filter
cone and travel mug were not much more than one foot apart. I was actually
surprised to get a 200.7-degree F. reading out of that particular water
heating device, which makes the test profile even more interesting, since I
think we would all agree that 200 degrees Fahrenheit is a respectible
temperature at which to brew coffee. After all, the SCAA standard, and just
about everybody else's I've heard about in the last 35 years calls for an
optimum brewing temp of between 194 and 203 degrees Fahrenheit, that magical
90-95 degrees Celsius we all know so well.

Brent Reynolds, Atlanta, GA USA
Email: Phone: 1-404-814-0768