David

Default Filtration

I like to grind my coffee as fine as I can, toss it in an ibrik of
warm water, let it slowly boil once, turn off the (electric) stove
and let it sit on the burner for a bit, then pour it into my mug
through a filter cone (it tastes better if I use the plastic mesh
filter rather than disposable paper). When I tell coffee people
about my self-discovered method they look at me in horror -- why?
Is there a reason why my way is bad, or do I just defy tradition?

D.

--
"Winter is i-cumin in, Lhude sing goddamn!"
.................................................. ..................

David wrote:
> I like to grind my coffee as fine as I can, toss it in an ibrik of
> warm water, let it slowly boil once, turn off the (electric) stove
> and let it sit on the burner for a bit, then pour it into my mug
> through a filter cone (it tastes better if I use the plastic mesh
> filter rather than disposable paper). When I tell coffee people
> about my self-discovered method they look at me in horror -- why?
> Is there a reason why my way is bad, or do I just defy tradition?

Your technique is reminiscent of the old percolators that boiled
coffee. That coffee was atrocious. Your method, however, is slightly
different in that the grind is finer and you may not be boiling the
coffee as long as the old percolators did. So who knows, it might work
out ok.

On the other hand, it may still taste as bad as percolated coffee and
your taste buds can't tell. There's a teacher at one of the local high
schools who can't taste the difference between bottled water and the
local water supply. He's an anomoly as the local water is god awful and
few people will drink it. Since he can't taste the difference, he
brews his coffee using tap water.

Whoever gets to school first makes the first pot. He tends to get there
early which puts pressure on the other early arrivers to beat him lest
they have to plow through a pot of coffee he's brewed. Sometimes, if
he's brewed the first pot, the others will wait till he leaves the
faculty room and then they'll dump the pot. Like I said, he can't taste
the difference so he thinks everyone else is being overly fussy.

Drbob92031

> I like to grind my coffee as fine as I can, toss it in an ibrik of
>> warm water, let it slowly boil once, turn off the (electric) stove
>> and let it sit on the burner for a bit, then pour it into my mug
>> through a filter cone (it tastes better if I use the plastic mesh
>> filter rather than disposable paper). When I tell coffee people
>> about my self-discovered method they look at me in horror -- why?
>> Is there a reason why my way is bad, or do I just defy tradition?
>>

>Your technique is reminiscent of the old percolators that boiled
>coffee. That coffee was atrocious. Your method, however, is slightly
>different in that the grind is finer and you may not be boiling the
>coffee as long as the old percolators did. So who knows, it might work
>out ok.
>
>On the other hand, it may still taste as bad as percolated coffee and
>your taste buds can't tell. There's a teacher at one of the local high
>schools who can't taste the difference between bottled water and the
>local water supply. He's an anomoly as the local water is god awful and
>few people will drink it. Since he can't taste the difference, he
>brews his coffee using tap water.
>
>Whoever gets to school first makes the first pot. He tends to get there
>early which puts pressure on the other early arrivers to beat him lest
>they have to plow through a pot of coffee he's brewed. Sometimes, if
>he's brewed the first pot, the others will wait till he leaves the
>faculty room and then they'll dump the pot. Like I said, he can't taste
>the difference so he thinks everyone else is being overly fussy.

Sounds liky you reinvented Turkish coffee. My cousins wife (she is Turkish)
made coffee for us this way The coffee is any bean that is ground as fine as a
powder and boiled (a la hobo style coffee) I do not recall her pouring it thru
a filter. The coffee pot had a long spout to keep the powderd coffee in the
pot. One is just careful as the cup is tiped to get to the last bit of coffee.
The coffee is strong!!. The remaing dregs in the bottom of the cup are supposed
to be read for your fortune.(her mother did that)
Bob