Joe

Default [totally OT] Battlestar G and Starbuck's

[OT and probably all very silly. You were warned. Proceed no further if
you don't like to be annoyed.]

This has always prodded my curiosity since it all began, and the previous
thread leads me to . . .

"The Original Inspiration"

Ever since Starbucks first made its way north, the name has always prodded
me to think of the BG character "Starbuck" and whether or not this was where
the company name originated. Of course, the original business may pre-date
the movie, thus rendering the point moot. But then again, maybe not.

Now a thread on alt.tv.star-trek.enterprise says the Starbuck character in
the new TV movie is "a dyke". (I missed the show and can't even confirm if
this is true). Cross-reference this to the decor, atmosphere, and
especially, the staff at Starbucks and I think you have a case for a
full-blown conspiracy/cult phenomenon in our very urban midst.

So you have Starbucks and its very distinctive image. How to describe?
Start with the icon. Female, goddess-like, iconographic. Perhaps the name
leads back somewhere in mythology? The names for the products. They force
you to say "extra hot no-whipped caramalized machiatto" instead of "medium
chocolate thingie", so many times you cease to question the rationale. The
names of the snacks. Their choice of music. The observation that if a guy
is working the counter there, he probably could pass for ***.

The whole thing leans towards an atmosphere your average upscale,
***-leaning urbanite would find comfortable. Not that there's anything
wrong with that. But does this correlate to the entire sea change in
attitudes towards gays and *** culture? Is it a response, or the catalyst?
Is it all subtle and subliminal social engineering? Would your average
redneck homophobe deign to cross the threshold of a Starbucks? Would they
feel threatened?

All I know is a generation ago, a place like Starbucks could not get
established in most North American cities. People wouldn't know what to
make of it. Now they're everywhere and I can't go three days without a
latte.

Kweeg

"Joe" > wrote in message
> [OT and probably all very silly. You were warned. Proceed no further if
> you don't like to be annoyed.]
>

> This has always prodded my curiosity since it all began, and the previous
> thread leads me to . . .
>
> "The Original Inspiration"
>
> Ever since Starbucks first made its way north, the name has always prodded
> me to think of the BG character "Starbuck" and whether or not this was

where
> the company name originated. Of course, the original business may

pre-date
> the movie, thus rendering the point moot. But then again, maybe not.
>
> Now a thread on alt.tv.star-trek.enterprise says the Starbuck character in
> the new TV movie is "a dyke". (I missed the show and can't even confirm if
> this is true). Cross-reference this to the decor, atmosphere, and
> especially, the staff at Starbucks and I think you have a case for a
> full-blown conspiracy/cult phenomenon in our very urban midst.
>
> So you have Starbucks and its very distinctive image. How to describe?
> Start with the icon. Female, goddess-like, iconographic. Perhaps the

name
> leads back somewhere in mythology? The names for the products. They

force
> you to say "extra hot no-whipped caramalized machiatto" instead of "medium
> chocolate thingie", so many times you cease to question the rationale.

The
> names of the snacks. Their choice of music. The observation that if a

guy
> is working the counter there, he probably could pass for ***.
>
> The whole thing leans towards an atmosphere your average upscale,
> ***-leaning urbanite would find comfortable. Not that there's anything
> wrong with that. But does this correlate to the entire sea change in
> attitudes towards gays and *** culture? Is it a response, or the

catalyst?
> Is it all subtle and subliminal social engineering? Would your average
> redneck homophobe deign to cross the threshold of a Starbucks? Would they
> feel threatened?
>
> All I know is a generation ago, a place like Starbucks could not get
> established in most North American cities. People wouldn't know what to
> make of it. Now they're everywhere and I can't go three days without a
> latte.

ROTFLMAO!
we're doomed......

--

Qa'pla
Kweeg

Wouter Valentijn

"Kweeg" > schreef in bericht
> "Joe" > wrote in message
> > [OT and probably all very silly. You were warned. Proceed no further

if
> > you don't like to be annoyed.]
> >

> > This has always prodded my curiosity since it all began, and the

previous
> > thread leads me to . . .
> >
> > "The Original Inspiration"
> >
> > Ever since Starbucks first made its way north, the name has always

prodded
> > me to think of the BG character "Starbuck" and whether or not this was

> where
> > the company name originated. Of course, the original business may

> pre-date
> > the movie, thus rendering the point moot. But then again, maybe not.
> >
> > Now a thread on alt.tv.star-trek.enterprise says the Starbuck character

in
> > the new TV movie is "a dyke". (I missed the show and can't even confirm

if
> > this is true). Cross-reference this to the decor, atmosphere, and
> > especially, the staff at Starbucks and I think you have a case for a
> > full-blown conspiracy/cult phenomenon in our very urban midst.
> >
> > So you have Starbucks and its very distinctive image. How to describe?
> > Start with the icon. Female, goddess-like, iconographic. Perhaps the

> name
> > leads back somewhere in mythology? The names for the products. They

> force
> > you to say "extra hot no-whipped caramalized machiatto" instead of

"medium
> > chocolate thingie", so many times you cease to question the rationale.

> The
> > names of the snacks. Their choice of music. The observation that if a

> guy
> > is working the counter there, he probably could pass for ***.
> >
> > The whole thing leans towards an atmosphere your average upscale,
> > ***-leaning urbanite would find comfortable. Not that there's anything
> > wrong with that. But does this correlate to the entire sea change in
> > attitudes towards gays and *** culture? Is it a response, or the

> catalyst?
> > Is it all subtle and subliminal social engineering? Would your average
> > redneck homophobe deign to cross the threshold of a Starbucks? Would

they
> > feel threatened?
> >
> > All I know is a generation ago, a place like Starbucks could not get
> > established in most North American cities. People wouldn't know what to
> > make of it. Now they're everywhere and I can't go three days without a
> > latte.

> ROTFLMAO!
> we're doomed......

Err, wasn't there also a Starbuck in Moby Dick?

--
Wouter Valentijn

www.zeppodunsel.nl www.nksf.nl

"That's right. I'm back. And I'm a BLOODY ANIMAL!"

Spike in "Doomed" ("Buffy The Vampire Slayer", 4x11)

Ragnar

Joe wrote:

> Now a thread on alt.tv.star-trek.enterprise says the Starbuck character in
> the new TV movie is "a dyke".

I've seen the show, and the new Stabuck character may be a tough chick,
but she had an affair with Adama's son in flight school. So she's not a
"dyke".

Sorta makes the rest of your fevered imaginings pointless.

http://www.usenet.com
Wouter Valentijn

"Straker" > schreef in bericht
.. .
> In article >, Wouter Valentijn
> > wrote:
>
> > Err, wasn't there also a Starbuck in Moby Dick?

> Must you wreck perfectly good rants by bringing in literary precedents?

That was a perfectly good rant?

--
Wouter Valentijn

www.zeppodunsel.nl www.nksf.nl

"That's right. I'm back. And I'm a BLOODY ANIMAL!"

Spike in "Doomed" ("Buffy The Vampire Slayer", 4x11)

Wouter Valentijn

"Straker" > schreef in bericht
.. .
> In article >, Wouter Valentijn
> > wrote:
>
> > Err, wasn't there also a Starbuck in Moby Dick?

> Must you wreck perfectly good rants by bringing in literary precedents?

That was a perfectly good rant?

--
Wouter Valentijn

www.zeppodunsel.nl www.nksf.nl

"That's right. I'm back. And I'm a BLOODY ANIMAL!"

Spike in "Doomed" ("Buffy The Vampire Slayer", 4x11)

Mark Nobles

Joe > wrote:

> Now they're everywhere and I can't go three days without a
> latte.

Shockingly, I've managed to go 52 years without one.

OTOH, I've heard they are so many Starbucks now that they recently
opened a new Starbucks inside a Starbucks.
Mark Nobles

Wouter Valentijn > wrote:

> "Straker" > schreef in bericht
> .. .
> > In article >, Wouter Valentijn
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Err, wasn't there also a Starbuck in Moby Dick?

> > Must you wreck perfectly good rants by bringing in literary precedents?

> That was a perfectly good rant?

For small values of "perfectly good".