Copterman

Default Superauto advice (UK based but any advice on machines appreciated)

Hi,

I'm in the UK looking out for a decent superauto machine, particularly interested in the Jura range and possibly the Saecos. 5-600 of your UK pounds is about the point my coffee geekiness vs. bank balance cries "enough" I think!

Currently using a cheapy Delonghi espresso/filter combined machine, with a Starbucks Barista grinder. With the aid of these forums and coffeegeek, I can actually get a reasonable tasting shot out of the current setup - the local Whittards manager is a real coffee enthusiast and has put us onto good beans from freshly roasted batches (Sumatra Blue Lingtong mmm-mmm). But it takes ages and seems too much like hard work, so I am put off going down the Silvia/Rocky route. And I've had some pretty reasonable shots out of a Jura superauto at one of the pubs I frequent.
Has anyone any suggestions/experience of these things?
And where to get them at a decent price from the UK? So far italy-outlet.com are the best UK spec prices and espressofactory.de are even cheaper if I don't mind refitting the plug and having to wrestle with non-english instructions.

PS in response to some of this evenings posts I really enjoyed Peets coffee in California on a recent trip; surprise of the trip though, was a place called Spliffs in Guerneville, just a shack on the edge of town that served really good coffee. Mill Valley had a good one as well.

TIA Mike
Col

Copterman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the UK looking out for a decent superauto machine, particularly
> interested in the Jura range and possibly the Saecos. 5-600 of your UK
> pounds is about the point my coffee geekiness vs. bank balance cries
> "enough" I think!

Although not my thing, Makro had a bean to cup last week around the
3-400 GBP mark poss the Saeco - bit ultra plastic, but prob ok for home use

Col

Copterman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the UK looking out for a decent superauto machine, particularly
> interested in the Jura range and possibly the Saecos. 5-600 of your UK
> pounds is about the point my coffee geekiness vs. bank balance cries
> "enough" I think!

Although not my thing, Makro had a bean to cup last week around the
3-400 GBP mark poss the Saeco - bit ultra plastic, but prob ok for home use

Ian Rawlings

On 2004-12-23, Copterman > wrote:

Grrr.... If you could turn off HTML posting that would be great
thanks.

> I'm in the UK looking out for a decent superauto machine,
> particularly interested in the Jura range and possibly the
> Saecos. 5-600 of your UK pounds is about the point my coffee
> geekiness vs. bank balance cries "enough" I think!

Try ebay, I was out at Drinks Problems in the UK recently getting my
coffee machine fixed and they had been given a Siemens home superauto
that turned out to be a rebadged Gaggia. They sold it on ebay but as
xmas was close they only got about 200 quid for it, they reckoned it
should have gone for quite a bit more.

I didn't think much of it myself to be honest, and wouldn't have
parted with 200 quid for it despite it being in brand new condition, I
have no idea how much these machines go for brand new but whatever it
is, it's way too much... Wet steam, vibro-pump, acres of plastic..

However if you want one or another superauto then ebay might work, or
try calling Drinks Problems directly, I bought my Visacreme FCX1 in
brand-new condition from them for 500 quid, just 100 quid more than
the Rancillo I was going to get.

Try www.drinksproblems.com for contact details.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Ian Rawlings

On 2004-12-23, Copterman > wrote:

Grrr.... If you could turn off HTML posting that would be great
thanks.

> I'm in the UK looking out for a decent superauto machine,
> particularly interested in the Jura range and possibly the
> Saecos. 5-600 of your UK pounds is about the point my coffee
> geekiness vs. bank balance cries "enough" I think!

Try ebay, I was out at Drinks Problems in the UK recently getting my
coffee machine fixed and they had been given a Siemens home superauto
that turned out to be a rebadged Gaggia. They sold it on ebay but as
xmas was close they only got about 200 quid for it, they reckoned it
should have gone for quite a bit more.

I didn't think much of it myself to be honest, and wouldn't have
parted with 200 quid for it despite it being in brand new condition, I
have no idea how much these machines go for brand new but whatever it
is, it's way too much... Wet steam, vibro-pump, acres of plastic..

However if you want one or another superauto then ebay might work, or
try calling Drinks Problems directly, I bought my Visacreme FCX1 in
brand-new condition from them for 500 quid, just 100 quid more than
the Rancillo I was going to get.

Try www.drinksproblems.com for contact details.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert

Ian Rawlings

SOS , Need Advice Dana L General 1 22-12-2008 11:00 PM
Advice on oil Bobo Bonobo® General Cooking 61 31-08-2007 12:29 PM
Need advice/help axe Wine 7 01-08-2005 08:08 AM
Pu Erh advice? Marlene Tea 26 17-02-2005 05:01 PM
Pu Erh advice? Marlene Tea 0 16-02-2005 11:57 AM