Default Grinder help

As the recently former owner of a Solis Maestro Plus (repeatedly
jammed, unreliable grind [varied from 15 sec to 60 sec drip time],
required multiple cleaning out) I am going to buy a new grinder.

To avoid another mishap I thought Id seek help here.

It seems like the most recommended grinders are the Mazzer, Rocky, and
Gaggia MDF - (?others in price range).

I just want a reliable grinder that doesnt have a bunch of rules (dont
accidentally run on empty! dont change setting unless grinder running!)
and will do both espresso and drip grinds, allow me to (relatively)
easily change beans, and fill a hopper with enough coffee to dump into
my drip machine.

Does such a beast exist?

Do the doser MDF or ROcky allow you to remove the ground bean bin to
pour a mess of ground coffee into a drip machine?
Thanks in advance -

(why is this so darn complicated!)

Java Man

In article .com>,
says...
> As the recently former owner of a Solis Maestro Plus (repeatedly
> jammed, unreliable grind [varied from 15 sec to 60 sec drip time],
> required multiple cleaning out) I am going to buy a new grinder.
>
> To avoid another mishap I thought Id seek help here.

I think a Maestro plus should last for years if you're using it only for
drip coffee. Drip isn't so fussy that the superior precision of an
expensive burr grinder is needed.

> It seems like the most recommended grinders are the Mazzer, Rocky, and
> Gaggia MDF - (?others in price range).

All overkill for drip, IMHO.

> I just want a reliable grinder that doesnt have a bunch of rules (dont
> accidentally run on empty! dont change setting unless grinder running!)
> and will do both espresso and drip grinds, allow me to (relatively)
> easily change beans, and fill a hopper with enough coffee to dump into
> my drip machine.

These aren't rules, but cautions to help you avoid damaging your
grinder.

> Does such a beast exist?

Think about how a burr grinder works, and the reason for the "rules"
becomes obvious. I am not aware of any burr grinder that should be
adjusted finer unless it is running, or unless the hopper is empty and
there are no beans between the burrs.

> Do the doser MDF or ROcky allow you to remove the ground bean bin to
> pour a mess of ground coffee into a drip machine?

No. But they DO allow you to dose grinds into another container, and to
pour the contents of that container into your drip machine. This is
what most doser-grinder owners do when making drip.

Personally, I my tastebuds not convinced a burr grinder is necessary for
drip coffee, possibly because I prefer to use a paper filter to
eliminate sludge. Some people say drip coffee made from beans ground in
a burr grinder tastes better than coffee made from beans ground in a
blade grinder, but I think the difference is small.

Rick

Hey thanks for notes above - but please read original post;

I wrote "will do BOTH espresso and drip grinds"

Let me try to ask my question again.

1) I got a very bad Solis Maestro that clogged frequently and had
extremely variable grind on espresso.

2) I would like to get a grinder that does not do the above (and is not
so temperamental re changing settings etc).

3) Said grinder would be good for drip AND espresso.

What would people recommend?

My question about the grinders with dosers (and the gaggia MDF)
related to whether the ground coffee bin could be removed so that
coffee could be poured into a paper cone for drip. It seems
impractical to "dose" the coffee into a cone for a pot of coffee.
clearer?

Bradley B.

On 15 Dec 2004 12:30:48 -0800, wrote:

>As the recently former owner of a Solis Maestro Plus (repeatedly
>jammed, unreliable grind [varied from 15 sec to 60 sec drip time],
>required multiple cleaning out) I am going to buy a new grinder.
>
>To avoid another mishap I thought Id seek help here.
>
>It seems like the most recommended grinders are the Mazzer, Rocky, and
>Gaggia MDF - (?others in price range).
>
>I just want a reliable grinder that doesnt have a bunch of rules (dont
>accidentally run on empty! dont change setting unless grinder running!)
>and will do both espresso and drip grinds, allow me to (relatively)
>easily change beans, and fill a hopper with enough coffee to dump into
>my drip machine.
>
>Does such a beast exist?
>
>Do the doser MDF or ROcky allow you to remove the ground bean bin to
>pour a mess of ground coffee into a drip machine?
>Thanks in advance -
>
>(why is this so darn complicated!)

Yeah, I remember your first post about the SMP. Changing is a good
move. What is your budget--to some extent you'll get what you pay
for. If modest, look at the reviews for the Capresso Infinity. It
should be serviceable for the Gaggia, and, if you're on the upward
spiral that is common here, it should keep you happy as long as the
Gaggia does ;-) And, if your espresso aspirations ascend, you could
always keep the Infinity as your drip/press grinder--it *really* can
be functional to have a separate espresso grinder. If you want more
than the Infinity, you might want to look at the Rocky Doserless. You
can more or less pre-measure your beans and just grind what you need
directly into a portofilter or into a cup for your drip coffees,
without measures of going stale sitting in the doser. I don't know if
the Gaggia MDF can function without a doser; others here may weigh in
on this one.

Good luck, Bradley B.

o b b m a i l PUT-@-HERE v e r i z o n AND-dot-HERE n e t
remove the spaces and the obvious to reply

> Yeah, I remember your first post about the SMP. Changing is a good
> move. What is your budget--to some extent you'll get what you pay
> for. If modest, look at the reviews for the Capresso Infinity. It
> should be serviceable for the Gaggia, and, if you're on the upward
> spiral that is common here, it should keep you happy as long as the
> Gaggia does ;-)

Bradley B!

Thanks - actually helpful! After your note and some more noodling
around settled on the Rocky Doserless and we'll see. GOtta say - not
too happy with WLL on this one. As they mailed it out, I called and
expressed my concern about the SMP - they said "Dont worry if it werent
great we wouldnt sell it". It wasnt. Sending it back but Im paying
for shipping (and prob get billed for the shipping out to me!).

If they paid for the shipping would have gotten my rocky from them and
my next espresso machine.
Oh well, their loss is 1st-line's gain.

thanks for info,

D. Ross

| My question about the grinders with dosers (and the gaggia MDF)
| related to whether the ground coffee bin could be removed so that
| coffee could be poured into a paper cone for drip.

As Rick said, what you do is stick a container under the doser and dose into
that, then dump into the drip cone. This is neither slow nor difficult,
though perhaps very marginally less convenient than a grinder like the Solis
that grinds into a built-in container.

- David R.
--
Less information than you ever thought possible:
http://www.demitasse.net
D. Ross

| My question about the grinders with dosers (and the gaggia MDF)
| related to whether the ground coffee bin could be removed so that
| coffee could be poured into a paper cone for drip.

As Rick said, what you do is stick a container under the doser and dose into
that, then dump into the drip cone. This is neither slow nor difficult,
though perhaps very marginally less convenient than a grinder like the Solis
that grinds into a built-in container.

- David R.
--
Less information than you ever thought possible:
http://www.demitasse.net
D. Ross

| around settled on the Rocky Doserless and we'll see. GOtta say - not
| too happy with WLL on this one. As they mailed it out, I called and
| expressed my concern about the SMP - they said "Dont worry if it werent
| great we wouldnt sell it". It wasnt.

Judging from similar stories that have been posted here, the people who man
the phones at WLL are not the brightest lights in the sky. However, the
store as a whole does seem to be reasonably concerned with customer
satisfaction.

- David R.
--
Less information than you ever thought possible:
http://www.demitasse.net

D. Ross

| around settled on the Rocky Doserless and we'll see. GOtta say - not
| too happy with WLL on this one. As they mailed it out, I called and
| expressed my concern about the SMP - they said "Dont worry if it werent
| great we wouldnt sell it". It wasnt.

Judging from similar stories that have been posted here, the people who man
the phones at WLL are not the brightest lights in the sky. However, the
store as a whole does seem to be reasonably concerned with customer
satisfaction.

- David R.
--
Less information than you ever thought possible:
http://www.demitasse.net
Dennis M. Reed \Califa\

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> As the recently former owner of a Solis Maestro Plus (repeatedly
> jammed, unreliable grind [varied from 15 sec to 60 sec drip time],
> required multiple cleaning out) I am going to buy a new grinder.
>
> To avoid another mishap I thought Id seek help here.
>
> It seems like the most recommended grinders are the Mazzer, Rocky, and
> Gaggia MDF - (?others in price range).
>
> I just want a reliable grinder that doesnt have a bunch of rules (dont
> accidentally run on empty! dont change setting unless grinder running!)
> and will do both espresso and drip grinds, allow me to (relatively)
> easily change beans, and fill a hopper with enough coffee to dump into
> my drip machine.

is running on empty a problem on the Rocky? I have run it to empty to use up
the last of some beans and I have not had a problem. I change the grind
setting with the Rocky turned off. changing beans is not difficult with the
Rocky except for the weight...I put in just enough beans for a pot (Krups
Moka).

> Does such a beast exist?
>
> Do the doser MDF or ROcky allow you to remove the ground bean bin to
> pour a mess of ground coffee into a drip machine?
> Thanks in advance -

I have a doser Rocky and I use a 1/3 plastic measuring cup which take 3
doses.

> (why is this so darn complicated!)

D. Ross

| is running on empty a problem on the Rocky?

No.

- David R.
--
Less information than you ever thought possible:
http://www.demitasse.net
D. Ross