Merima

Default Turkish coffee?

Does anyone knows how to prepare a real Turkish coffee?
Thanks a lot.
InsomniaJava

Turkish coffee is pretty easy. You use a small pot with a long handle (so
you don't get burned) Add water, add coffee to the water, let it come to a
boil and remove, you do this three times bringing it to a boil and removing
it from the heat. Then gently pour the coffee into small cups the grounds
should stay at the bottom of the pot.

Ayoayo

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:30:16 GMT, "InsomniaJava"
> wrote:

>Turkish coffee is pretty easy. You use a small pot with a long handle (so
>you don't get burned) Add water, add coffee to the water, let it come to a
>boil and remove, you do this three times bringing it to a boil and removing
>it from the heat. Then gently pour the coffee into small cups the grounds
>should stay at the bottom of the pot.

Yup, that's pretty much it... just remember to have your coffee count
right... with Turkish coffee, needless to say, calls for small cups,
so you don't need all that much water... of course, you'd just measure
to the cup count.

Other than that, though, make sure the 1st water is boiled alone
before adding anything. I didn't think that was clear on the 1st
message

Enjoy.
Ayoayo

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:30:16 GMT, "InsomniaJava"
> wrote:

>Turkish coffee is pretty easy. You use a small pot with a long handle (so
>you don't get burned) Add water, add coffee to the water, let it come to a
>boil and remove, you do this three times bringing it to a boil and removing
>it from the heat. Then gently pour the coffee into small cups the grounds
>should stay at the bottom of the pot.

Yup, that's pretty much it... just remember to have your coffee count
right... with Turkish coffee, needless to say, calls for small cups,
so you don't need all that much water... of course, you'd just measure
to the cup count.

Other than that, though, make sure the 1st water is boiled alone
before adding anything. I didn't think that was clear on the 1st
message

Enjoy.

Ayoayo

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:30:16 GMT, "InsomniaJava"
> wrote:

>Turkish coffee is pretty easy. You use a small pot with a long handle (so
>you don't get burned) Add water, add coffee to the water, let it come to a
>boil and remove, you do this three times bringing it to a boil and removing
>it from the heat. Then gently pour the coffee into small cups the grounds
>should stay at the bottom of the pot.

Yup, that's pretty much it... just remember to have your coffee count
right... with Turkish coffee, needless to say, calls for small cups,
so you don't need all that much water... of course, you'd just measure
to the cup count.

Other than that, though, make sure the 1st water is boiled alone
before adding anything. I didn't think that was clear on the 1st
message

Enjoy.
Nathalie

Here's how I make mine:

Put two cups of water in a small pot. I use a 20 oz. briki (the coffee pot
with the tapered sides) to raise a lot of foam, but you can first try it and
get the hang of it in any old pot.

Prepare your coffee. You'll have to adjust your grind to as fine as
possible - on my Rocky I set it just above a squeal! Take 8 level teaspoons
of ground coffee and put it in a small side dish. Then crush 2 seeds of
cardamom (not pods, seeds!: if it's real fresh cardamom, you'll overpower
the coffee if you use more) in a mortar and pestle and
add that to the coffee.

Now turn the heat up high. At an almost boil, add 1 teaspoon of sugar and
mix it in.

As soon as the water is boiling, back off the heat to high (I drop it to 8
on my boiler). Let that sit for a few seconds to stop the boil.

Now add your coffee and cardamom - AND BE READY! As soon as you add the
coffee, it's going to foam up quickly, so be ready to take the pot off.
When it starts foaming up, mix it gently in an VERTICAL circle, not round
and round. The idea is to mix some air into it.

You want to caramelize the sugar and "cook" the coffee for 15 seconds or so
as it's foaming. Then take it off the heat and let it settle.

So after this, you'll get an idea of the taste and texture. You should aim
for a
real creamy mouth feel. You'll probably want to adjust how much sugar,
coffee and cardamom, etc. you put in the next batch.

You can also play with the spices. I've used cinnamon and cloves instead of
cardamom and the results were excellent too.

"Merima" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone knows how to prepare a real Turkish coffee?
> Thanks a lot.

Nathalie

[...]

"Merima" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone knows how to prepare a real Turkish coffee?
> Thanks a lot.

Nathalie

[...]

"Merima" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone knows how to prepare a real Turkish coffee?
> Thanks a lot.

Starsha

"InsomniaJava" > wrote

> Turkish coffee is pretty easy. You use a small pot with a long handle (so
> you don't get burned) Add water, add coffee to the water, let it come to a
> boil and remove, you do this three times bringing it to a boil and

removing
> it from the heat. Then gently pour the coffee into small cups the grounds
> should stay at the bottom of the pot.

The grind is very important for Turkish coffee. It is a VERY fine ground -
could even be called a powder. For more information, go to
www.sweetmarias.com and click on Ibrik or Turkish coffee.

Jean :~)

Starsha

"InsomniaJava" > wrote

> Turkish coffee is pretty easy. You use a small pot with a long handle (so
> you don't get burned) Add water, add coffee to the water, let it come to a
> boil and remove, you do this three times bringing it to a boil and

removing
> it from the heat. Then gently pour the coffee into small cups the grounds
> should stay at the bottom of the pot.

The grind is very important for Turkish coffee. It is a VERY fine ground -
could even be called a powder. For more information, go to
www.sweetmarias.com and click on Ibrik or Turkish coffee.

Jean :~)

Turkish Coffee - Is it good? Worth trying? tampaRoadie Coffee 2 05-02-2007 03:35 PM
x0x Turkish coffee T.R.H. General Cooking 2 30-01-2006 08:50 AM
x0x Turkish coffee T.R.H. Coffee 1 30-01-2006 08:50 AM
Turkish Coffee AYNUR Coffee 0 14-10-2005 03:27 PM
Turkish coffee Nexis General Cooking 13 08-03-2004 05:24 PM