Dan Clore

Default Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Starbucks Workers Move to Unionize
NewsMax Wires
Wednesday, May 19, 2004

New York, NY -- Starbucks workers here have organized a
union with the Industrial Workers of the World IU/660 and
have submitted union cards today to the NLRB for a
certification election.

The workers are poised to become the first Starbucks
Baristas union certified in the country. Starbucks Baristas
at the 36th and Madison location in Midtown Manhattan have
come together in an effort to raise themselves out of
poverty as well as to achieve respect and dignity on the
job. The workers are calling on Starbucks to obey the law as
the election approaches.

"Behind the green aprons and smiles are individuals living
in serious poverty," said Daniel Gross, a worker at the
store. "Baristas are the cornerstone of a Starbucks coffee
shop, we just deserve better. Starbucks cashes in on a
community friendly image but it certainly doesn't extend to
their workers or coffee farmers. That's why we went Union."

Starbucks is a $15 billion company with over 7,500 locations
around the world, but workers have most emphatically not
shared in their success. In New York City with one of the
highest costs of living in the world, Starbucks workers
start at $7.75 an hour and eventually receive raises
amounting to merely a few cents.

Starbucks has also developed a scheme whereby all Baristas
work on a part-time basis and are not guaranteed any amount
of hours per week thus making it exceedingly difficult for
workers to budget for necessities like rent, utilities, and
food.

"I come to work and I work hard," said Maureen Medianero,
23, who has worked at Starbucks for almost 2 years. "But I'm
still hanging on by a shoe string not knowing if I can make
ends meet to support my daughter. It's frightening."

Although Starbuck workers serve an enormous volume of
beverages, many of them extremely hot, in order to save
money management refuses to schedule enough workers to do
the required work safely. Instead, workers are forced to
perform their duties at unsafe speeds with an undue level of
physical exertion.

"A Starbucks coffee shop is an ergonomic minefield. The
stores are supposed to mimic an Italian cafe without
considering the uncomfortable bending and reaching we have
to do," explained Barista Anthony Polanco. "This isn't your
mom and pop coffee shop, we're talking McDonald's busy every
day. Starbucks talks about 'Creating Warmth' but the only
warmth I feel is the heat pad at the end of the day."

The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), founded in 1905,
is a union dedicated to workplace democracy. IWW IU/660
represents workers in the retail industry.

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
_Detective Comics_ #608

Peter Foster

Default Starbucks' _Baristas_?

Dan Clore > wrote in message >...
"The workers are poised to become the first Starbucks Baristas
union... Baristas are the cornerstone of a Starbucks coffee"

Baristas?

Is he alluding to those people who push a button on a *$s-modified
Thermoplan 'Black and White' Automatic to generate an 'espresso'-style
coffee beverage?

Dan, you should get off your high horse! These people work their asses
off to provide a product that a lot of people want. I, for one, am happy
to see them start to organize. I can only hope that the corporate office
doesn't squash their early attempts. I know that bashing Starbucks is the
trendy thing to do here, but these are people too, and they deserve just
as much respect as you do. The next time you feel the need to feel
superior to someone who's trade you find below you, just remember that they
are people too, just trying to make a living.

--Brett

In alt.coffee Peter Foster > wrote:
> Dan Clore > wrote in message >...
> "The workers are poised to become the first Starbucks Baristas
> union... Baristas are the cornerstone of a Starbucks coffee"

> Baristas?

> Is he alluding to those people who push a button on a *$s-modified
> Thermoplan 'Black and White' Automatic to generate an 'espresso'-style
> coffee beverage?

Dan, you should get off your high horse! These people work their asses
off to provide a product that a lot of people want. I, for one, am happy
to see them start to organize. I can only hope that the corporate office
doesn't squash their early attempts. I know that bashing Starbucks is the
trendy thing to do here, but these are people too, and they deserve just
as much respect as you do. The next time you feel the need to feel
superior to someone who's trade you find below you, just remember that they
are people too, just trying to make a living.

--Brett

In alt.coffee Peter Foster > wrote:
> Dan Clore > wrote in message >...
> "The workers are poised to become the first Starbucks Baristas
> union... Baristas are the cornerstone of a Starbucks coffee"

> Baristas?

> Is he alluding to those people who push a button on a *$s-modified
> Thermoplan 'Black and White' Automatic to generate an 'espresso'-style
> coffee beverage?

Jack Denver

"Starbucks workers ,,,,,have submitted union cards today to the NLRB for a
certification election."

This means that the union has not yet been certified and may never be
certified. Even if it is, it will be at this one *$ branch. What are the
odds that *$ will renew the lease on this location if they go union? Or
perhaps this will become the first, experimental self-service *$?

"The workers are calling on Starbucks to obey the law as the election
approaches."

What law is *$ violating?

"Starbucks cashes in on a community friendly image but it certainly doesn't
extend to their workers or coffee farmers. That's why we went Union."

So joining the union will help coffee farmers? How?

"Starbucks has also developed a scheme whereby all Baristas
work on a part-time basis and are not guaranteed any amount
of hours per week ."

Yes, they've even given a name to this fiendish evil "scheme". They call a
it a "part time job". Bwahahahahah

Other things unmentioned:

Beside the wages, *$ workers receive tip income.

A *$ job is not supposed to be a career - they are intended as a short term
stepping stone jobs for students, actors, people with nose rings, etc. and
not meant for you to be able to support a family on.

"Peter Foster" > wrote in message
om...
> Dan Clore > wrote in message

> "The workers are poised to become the first Starbucks Baristas
> union... Baristas are the cornerstone of a Starbucks coffee"
>
> Baristas?
>
> Is he alluding to those people who push a button on a *$s-modified
> Thermoplan 'Black and White' Automatic to generate an 'espresso'-style
> coffee beverage?

Jack Denver

"Starbucks workers ,,,,,have submitted union cards today to the NLRB for a
certification election."

This means that the union has not yet been certified and may never be
certified. Even if it is, it will be at this one *$ branch. What are the
odds that *$ will renew the lease on this location if they go union? Or
perhaps this will become the first, experimental self-service *$?

"The workers are calling on Starbucks to obey the law as the election
approaches."

What law is *$ violating?

"Starbucks cashes in on a community friendly image but it certainly doesn't
extend to their workers or coffee farmers. That's why we went Union."

So joining the union will help coffee farmers? How?

"Starbucks has also developed a scheme whereby all Baristas
work on a part-time basis and are not guaranteed any amount
of hours per week ."

Yes, they've even given a name to this fiendish evil "scheme". They call a
it a "part time job". Bwahahahahah

Other things unmentioned:

Beside the wages, *$ workers receive tip income.

A *$ job is not supposed to be a career - they are intended as a short term
stepping stone jobs for students, actors, people with nose rings, etc. and
not meant for you to be able to support a family on.

"Peter Foster" > wrote in message
om...
> Dan Clore > wrote in message

> "The workers are poised to become the first Starbucks Baristas
> union... Baristas are the cornerstone of a Starbucks coffee"
>
> Baristas?
>
> Is he alluding to those people who push a button on a *$s-modified
> Thermoplan 'Black and White' Automatic to generate an 'espresso'-style
> coffee beverage?

D. Ross

| certified. Even if it is, it will be at this one *$ branch. What are the
| odds that *$ will renew the lease on this location if they go union?

At 36th and Madison? I'm guessing 100%.

| "The workers are calling on Starbucks to obey the law as the election
| approaches."
|
| What law is *$ violating?

I don't see any claim that they are currently violating a law. I assume
they are trying to preempt Starbucks from using intimidation tactics against
the workers engaged in organizing. I have no idea if the NYC *$ management
would be inclined to break the law in this way, evidently the employees
involved (who know them best) have determined that a little reminder might
be useful.

| A *$ job is not supposed to be a career - they are intended as a short term
| stepping stone jobs for students, actors, people with nose rings, etc. and
| not meant for you to be able to support a family on.

Isn't this what the auto magnates and coal mine owners used to say?-)

- David R.

--
http://www.demitasse.net
D. Ross

| certified. Even if it is, it will be at this one *$ branch. What are the
| odds that *$ will renew the lease on this location if they go union?

At 36th and Madison? I'm guessing 100%.

| "The workers are calling on Starbucks to obey the law as the election
| approaches."
|
| What law is *$ violating?

I don't see any claim that they are currently violating a law. I assume
they are trying to preempt Starbucks from using intimidation tactics against
the workers engaged in organizing. I have no idea if the NYC *$ management
would be inclined to break the law in this way, evidently the employees
involved (who know them best) have determined that a little reminder might
be useful.

| A *$ job is not supposed to be a career - they are intended as a short term
| stepping stone jobs for students, actors, people with nose rings, etc. and
| not meant for you to be able to support a family on.

Isn't this what the auto magnates and coal mine owners used to say?-)

- David R.

--
http://www.demitasse.net
JR

I didn't know the "wobblies" still existed.

JR

Dan Clore > wrote in message >...
> [...]
> to do," explained Barista Anthony Polanco. "This isn't your
> mom and pop coffee shop, we're talking McDonald's busy every
> day. Starbucks talks about 'Creating Warmth' but the only
> warmth I feel is the heat pad at the end of the day."
>
> The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), founded in 1905,
> is a union dedicated to workplace democracy. IWW IU/660
> represents workers in the retail industry.
>
> --
> Dan Clore
>
> Now available: _The Unspeakable and Others_
> http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
> Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
> http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>
> "It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
> *anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
> -- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in

JR

Dan Clore > wrote in message >...
> [...]
> to do," explained Barista Anthony Polanco. "This isn't your
> mom and pop coffee shop, we're talking McDonald's busy every
> day. Starbucks talks about 'Creating Warmth' but the only
> warmth I feel is the heat pad at the end of the day."
>
> The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), founded in 1905,
> is a union dedicated to workplace democracy. IWW IU/660
> represents workers in the retail industry.
>
> --
> Dan Clore
>
> Now available: _The Unspeakable and Others_
> http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
> Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
> http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>
> "It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
> *anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
> -- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in

Ernesto Nevarez

if the poster in this newsgroup could forward to the above ng's as I'm not
listed in them. thanx.

In the Los Angeles harbor there are 10,000 troqueros who are probably
organizing as wobblies without even knowing it. It is not a question as to
whether the IWW exist but rather as to whether the conditions for wobbly
style organizing exist or are coming back. The recent spike in truck driver
"troquero" activity in California will be a major test of the need for
wobbly style organizing. Los Angeles troqueros have been very receptive but
will it go nationwide? Is the "big bang" really gonna happen?

Below is a recent IWW flyer being circulated to California troqueros;

żQuíenes son los Trabajadores Industriales del Mundo?

Los Trabajadores Industriales del Mundo (IWW en inglés) es un sindicato
internacional para todos los trabajadores. Los miembros del IWW se organizan
para obtener mejores condiciones laborales hoy y construir un mundo con
democracia económica mañana. Queremos que nuestros puestos de trabajo y que
el mundo entero sean para beneficio de los trabajadores y sus comunidades en
vez de beneficiar a unos cuantos patronos solamente.

Desde 1905 hemos tomado parte en muchas luchas, incluyendo los sucesos en el
Puerto de San Pedro que determinaron la fundación del ILWU.

Creemos que los troqueros de Long Beach y Los Angeles necesitan un sindicato
que unifique su poder colectivo para obtener sus demandas. El sindicato
deberá mantener y fortalecer la organización que los troqueros han
construído
a lo largo de muchos años. El sindicato contribuirá a organizar a los
trabajadores y creará un frente unido para confrontar a los patronos.

En el IWW creemos en:
Sindicalismo industrial: Una ofensa a uno es una ofensa a todos. Nosotros no
nos organizamos separadamente por oficios, nosotros organizamos a todos los
trabajadores. Con organización y solidaridad en el trabajo, a través de
todas
las industrias, nuestras demandas son mucho más efectivas.

Sindicalismo democrático. El sindicato está bajo el control de los
trabajadores. No potenciamos burócratas. Todos los oficiales del sindicato
son elegidos democráticamente, y solamente hay un empleado a sueldo en toda
la organización internacional. Nos ayudamos mutamente para aprender cómo
debemos combatir al patrón para ganar.

Acción directa. Dependemos de nuestra propia fuerza para obtener nuestras
demandas. No damos dinero a ningún politico ni a ningún partido. Los
troqueros han demonstrado recientemente el poder de la acción directa cuando
cerraron una terminal hasta obtener el re-empleo de los trabajadores que
fueron despedidos.

El trabajador en control. El mundo no se mueve sin nuestra labor. Los
trabajadores tenemos el poder de decidir nuestro futuro si nos organizamos y
luchamos juntos. Los troqueros demonstraron ese poder el 30 de abril cuando
pararon el sistema de transportación de California.

!Únete a nosotros! No es necesario que tu puesto de trabajo esté afiliado al
IWW para poder hacerte miembro. Nuestras cuotas van de $6 a $18 mensuales
dependiendo de tu sueldo. La mitad de tus cuotas van a la oficina
internacional y la otra mitad a tu ramo local para financiar la labor de
organización. Ponte en contacto con un delegado o por Internet: http://
www.iww.org

!Trabajadores Unidos!
Los Angeles Flores Magón General Membership Branch
PO Box 91691, Pasadena CA 91109

I.W.W. Oficina Internacional
PO Box 13476, Philadelphia, PA 19101
(215) 222-1905

To Subscribe, send a blank message to

Para enviar un mensaje,háganlo a

Para salir del grupo envíe un mensaje en blanco a

"JR" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

> > to do," explained Barista Anthony Polanco. "This isn't your
> > mom and pop coffee shop, we're talking McDonald's busy every
> > day. Starbucks talks about 'Creating Warmth' but the only
> > warmth I feel is the heat pad at the end of the day."
> >
> > The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), founded in 1905,
> > is a union dedicated to workplace democracy. IWW IU/660
> > represents workers in the retail industry.
> >
> > --
> > Dan Clore
> >
> > Now available: _The Unspeakable and Others_
> > http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
> > Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
> > http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
> > News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> >
> > "It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
> > *anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
> > -- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in

Ernesto Nevarez

[...]

"JR" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

> > to do," explained Barista Anthony Polanco. "This isn't your
> > mom and pop coffee shop, we're talking McDonald's busy every
> > day. Starbucks talks about 'Creating Warmth' but the only
> > warmth I feel is the heat pad at the end of the day."
> >
> > The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), founded in 1905,
> > is a union dedicated to workplace democracy. IWW IU/660
> > represents workers in the retail industry.
> >
> > --
> > Dan Clore
> >
> > Now available: _The Unspeakable and Others_
> > http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
> > Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
> > http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
> > News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> >
> > "It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
> > *anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
> > -- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in

bodi

The freaks at the local starbucks are already way too wobbly for my liking.

bodi

The freaks at the local starbucks are already way too wobbly for my liking.

G*rd*n

"bodi" >:
> The freaks at the local starbucks are already way too wobbly for my liking.

Yeah, stick to Aunt Emma's Tea Room. Starbucks -- there's a
seriously weird venue, eh? You wouldn't expect to see things
like that this side of Bangkok.

"No, put it _in_ the espresso. Yeah, right in. Yeah, like
that. Oooh. Aaaaaaah."

And it's only 3 in the afternoon....

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{ }"{
G*rd*n

"bodi" >:
> The freaks at the local starbucks are already way too wobbly for my liking.

Yeah, stick to Aunt Emma's Tea Room. Starbucks -- there's a
seriously weird venue, eh? You wouldn't expect to see things
like that this side of Bangkok.

"No, put it _in_ the espresso. Yeah, right in. Yeah, like
that. Oooh. Aaaaaaah."

And it's only 3 in the afternoon....

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{ }"{
{
http://www.etaoin.com | latest new material 5/10/04 <-adv't
Dan Clore

http://www.iww.org/

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
_Detective Comics_ #608

Dan Clore

JR wrote:
> I didn't know the "wobblies" still existed.

http://www.iww.org/

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
_Detective Comics_ #608

rebelguy

I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A BUNCH
OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
50-60,000 A YEAR

"JR" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

> > to do," explained Barista Anthony Polanco. "This isn't your
> > mom and pop coffee shop, we're talking McDonald's busy every
> > day. Starbucks talks about 'Creating Warmth' but the only
> > warmth I feel is the heat pad at the end of the day."
> >
> > The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), founded in 1905,
> > is a union dedicated to workplace democracy. IWW IU/660
> > represents workers in the retail industry.
> >
> > --
> > Dan Clore
> >
> > Now available: _The Unspeakable and Others_
> > http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
> > Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
> > http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
> > News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> >
> > "It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
> > *anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
> > -- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in

rebelguy

I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A BUNCH
OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
50-60,000 A YEAR

"JR" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

> > to do," explained Barista Anthony Polanco. "This isn't your
> > mom and pop coffee shop, we're talking McDonald's busy every
> > day. Starbucks talks about 'Creating Warmth' but the only
> > warmth I feel is the heat pad at the end of the day."
> >
> > The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), founded in 1905,
> > is a union dedicated to workplace democracy. IWW IU/660
> > represents workers in the retail industry.
> >
> > --
> > Dan Clore
> >
> > Now available: _The Unspeakable and Others_
> > http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
> > Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
> > http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
> > News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> >
> > "It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
> > *anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
> > -- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in

G*rd*n

"rebelguy" >:

> I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
> UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A BUNCH
> OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
> 50-60,000 A YEAR

Your cliché key is stuck.

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{ }"{
G*rd*n

"rebelguy" >:

> I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
> UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A BUNCH
> OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
> 50-60,000 A YEAR

Your cliché key is stuck.

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{ }"{
Dan Clore

G*rd*n wrote:
> "rebelguy" >:

>>I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
>>UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A BUNCH
>>OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
>>50-60,000 A YEAR
>>

> Your cliché key is stuck.

Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
can point out the most.

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
_Detective Comics_ #608

Dan Clore

rebelguy wrote:

> I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
> UNION

F*ckin' MAXISTS! Hasn't Max's been proven wrong yet in the eyes of
these people. Goddam Max!

> AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE

Well, most dues these days are based on around 2 hours pay a month,
which, for full-time, 40 hour work comes in at around 1-2% of pay. (IWW
dues are between $6-18 a hour-based on monthly income- a relative bargain).

TO A BUNCH
> OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
> 50-60,000 A YEAR

I'm sure this got quite a laugh from all the Wobbly "union
bosses"...<g>... (PS- 50-60,000 WHAT a year?)

rebelguy wrote:

> [...]

>>>to do," explained Barista Anthony Polanco. "This isn't your
>>>mom and pop coffee shop, we're talking McDonald's busy every
>>>day. Starbucks talks about 'Creating Warmth' but the only
>>>warmth I feel is the heat pad at the end of the day."
>>>
>>>The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), founded in 1905,
>>>is a union dedicated to workplace democracy. IWW IU/660
>>>represents workers in the retail industry.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Dan Clore
>>>
>>>Now available: _The Unspeakable and Others_
>>>http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
>>>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
>>>Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
>>>http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
>>>News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>>>
>>>"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
>>>*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
>>>-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in

Hawth Hill

in article , rebelguy at
wrote on 05/30/2004 1:56 AM:

> I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
> UNION

Who's the "dupe"? Or should I say "stupe"? . . . If you'd bothered to read
the newstory that was pasted to your rant, you'd have seen what is obvious -
- - - those "stupid people" haven't yet selected the union for anything.
All they've done is file the necessary paperwork with the NLRB to support
their petition that the Board conduct an election. . . . See where the story
speaks of their having submitted cards to the Board for the purpose of a
certification election?

"Marxist?" . . . Since when has Marxism permitted affairs to be managed by
free elections? All pursuant to law?

No, you flat don't know what you're talking about.

It's good ol' American law that happens to be in control here. Not Marxism.
Passed decades and decades ago by freely elected representatives in
congress. Since then affirmed by the courts, and left in place by both
liberals and conservatives alike.

NLRB regulations require that, before the Board will even begin the process
of conducting an election, there must first be what is known as a "showing
of interest." In the Board's view, that means that the Board won't even get
involved unless at least 30% of the people who might someday be in the
"unit" of workers that would be affected by the election first signify that
they want to do so by signing what are known as "union authorization cards".
If they do, then the Board's processes are followed, and an election almost
always results. If the parties and the Board are convinced that the
election was run fairly then the Board will issue a certification of its
results. If the union has won, then the employer is required to engage in
bargaining with it in good faith for a reasonable time.

In cases where the voting has been unfairly interfered with by one of the
parties, then the Board will not issue a certification. Instead, it
normally orders that the election be re-run.

Some American you are! You don't even believe in democracy in action!
Don't trust workers to vote freely for what THEY want! (Of course, I don't
suppose that you know that the Board also conducts elections by workers to
get rid of unions. Well, they do. Don't you support the right of workers
to vote in THOSE elections?)

Depending upon the precise wording on such cards, it is possible that those
cards might someday be used as a basis for a demand that the employer
voluntarily recognize and bargain collectively with the union. Some
employers honor such demands where it is shown that a majority of their
employees favor having a union. That's been the law in the U.S. for decades.

Indeed, there are even cases where those cards may be used as a basis for
the Board to issue an order that an employer recognize and bargain. Such
instances are limited to cases where there was once a majority of employees
shown to have supported the union, and where the union's majority was
destroyed by virtue of intimidation and coercion by the employer, plus the
Board's determination that the nature and severity of the employer's unfair
labor practices has made the likelihood of a free and fair election dubious
at best. That's been the law in the U.S. for decades.

> AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A BUNCH
> OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
> 50-60,000 A YEAR

Whatever they "turn over" will be the result of their own free choice. And
will be continued only so long as the employees continue to so choose. . . .
But, of course, hating democracy as you do, you're positive that you know
what's good for them better than they know themselves.

I don't know whether or not these employees will vote to have a union. I
don't even care. . . . But, I'm absolutely certain that it's a great thing
that they have that free choice to make for themselves. And that their free
choice is backed up by the law.

HH

> [...]

>>> to do," explained Barista Anthony Polanco. "This isn't your
>>> mom and pop coffee shop, we're talking McDonald's busy every
>>> day. Starbucks talks about 'Creating Warmth' but the only
>>> warmth I feel is the heat pad at the end of the day."
>>>
>>> The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), founded in 1905,
>>> is a union dedicated to workplace democracy. IWW IU/660
>>> represents workers in the retail industry.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dan Clore
>>>
>>> Now available: _The Unspeakable and Others_
>>> http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
>>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
>>> Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
>>> http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
>>> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>>>
>>> "It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
>>> *anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
>>> -- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in

Hawth Hill

in article , rebelguy at
wrote on 05/30/2004 1:56 AM:

> [...]

>>> to do," explained Barista Anthony Polanco. "This isn't your
>>> mom and pop coffee shop, we're talking McDonald's busy every
>>> day. Starbucks talks about 'Creating Warmth' but the only
>>> warmth I feel is the heat pad at the end of the day."
>>>
>>> The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), founded in 1905,
>>> is a union dedicated to workplace democracy. IWW IU/660
>>> represents workers in the retail industry.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dan Clore
>>>
>>> Now available: _The Unspeakable and Others_
>>> http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
>>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
>>> Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
>>> http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
>>> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>>>
>>> "It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
>>> *anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
>>> -- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in

Stan de SD

"G*rd*n" > wrote in message
> "rebelguy" >:
> >
> > I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
> > UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A

BUNCH
> > OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY

MAKING
> > 50-60,000 A YEAR
> >

> Your cliché key is stuck.

Yet he's right. Starbucks jobs are for the most part "entry-level" - 90% of
the people working there will move on to bigger and better things within a
year or two. These people won't see a penny of the so-called "pension" and
"retirement" schemes they will be forced into paying with their dues, which
is exactly what the union bosses are hoping for.

Stan de SD

"G*rd*n" > wrote in message
> "rebelguy" >:
> >
> > I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
> > UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A

BUNCH
> > OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY

MAKING
> > 50-60,000 A YEAR
> >

> Your cliché key is stuck.

Yet he's right. Starbucks jobs are for the most part "entry-level" - 90% of
the people working there will move on to bigger and better things within a
year or two. These people won't see a penny of the so-called "pension" and
"retirement" schemes they will be forced into paying with their dues, which
is exactly what the union bosses are hoping for.

Stan de SD

"Dan Clore" > wrote in message
> G*rd*n wrote:
> > "rebelguy" >:

> >>I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
> >>UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A

BUNCH
> >>OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY

MAKING
> >>50-60,000 A YEAR
> >>

> > Your cliché key is stuck.

> Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
> know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
> single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
> can point out the most.

OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will soon
be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions? How
many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?

Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues. Suckering
in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
play... :O|

Stan de SD

"Dan Clore" > wrote in message
> G*rd*n wrote:
> > "rebelguy" >:

> >>I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
> >>UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A

BUNCH
> >>OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY

MAKING
> >>50-60,000 A YEAR
> >>

> > Your cliché key is stuck.

> Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
> know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
> single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
> can point out the most.

OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will soon
be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions? How
many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?

Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues. Suckering
in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
play... :O|

Michael Legel

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Dan Clore" > wrote in message
> > G*rd*n wrote:

> BUNCH

> MAKING
> > >>
> > > Your cliché key is stuck.

> > Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
> > know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
> > single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
> > can point out the most.

> OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will soon
> be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions? How
> many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
> benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?
>
> Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
> scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues. Suckering
> in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
> much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
> play... :O|

Stan your rant is typical, outdated and so ludicrous it would be sad if not
for the fact that you probably actually believe it yourself. Do you have any
clue as to how miniscule union dues are compared to the benefits received? Do
some homework if you are truly concerned ... and if all you want to do is
repeat the same antiquated rhetoric ... do it somewhere else. Please.

Michael Legel

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Dan Clore" > wrote in message
> > G*rd*n wrote:

> BUNCH

> MAKING
> > >>
> > > Your cliché key is stuck.

> > Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
> > know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
> > single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
> > can point out the most.

> OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will soon
> be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions? How
> many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
> benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?
>
> Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
> scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues. Suckering
> in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
> much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
> play... :O|

Stan your rant is typical, outdated and so ludicrous it would be sad if not
for the fact that you probably actually believe it yourself. Do you have any
clue as to how miniscule union dues are compared to the benefits received? Do
some homework if you are truly concerned ... and if all you want to do is
repeat the same antiquated rhetoric ... do it somewhere else. Please.

Paragon

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Dan Clore" > wrote in message
> > G*rd*n wrote:

LABOUR

> BUNCH

> MAKING
> > >>
> > > Your cliché key is stuck.

> > Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
> > know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
> > single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
> > can point out the most.

> OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will

soon
> be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions? How
> many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
> benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?
>
> Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
> scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues.

Suckering
> in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
> much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
> play... :O|

Hmmmm......what do I get out my union...? Let me think: regular raises not
based on favortism, recognized seniority for schedule picks and vacations,
overtime (no, it not all covered by the Federal law), better working
conditions, paid holidays,
health benefits (after I finished my probationary period of 90 days), jury
duty pay, bereavement pay, a grievance procedure for when the boss screws me
over (and he will), meal periods (no, the state and federal law don't really
touch that, either), report pay (so they don't call me in for 20 minutes of
work after a 30 minute drive), premium pay for certain jobs, transfer
guidelines, protection against managers doing my work and taking my hours,
guidelines for drug testing.......

and I never even had to mention "pension".

I admit to not knowing much about IWW, but where I work, I'm damn glad there
is a union that helps me out. Let's hope Starbucks employees choose a good
union.

Paragon

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Dan Clore" > wrote in message
> > G*rd*n wrote:

LABOUR

> BUNCH

> MAKING
> > >>
> > > Your cliché key is stuck.

> > Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
> > know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
> > single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
> > can point out the most.

> OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will

soon
> be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions? How
> many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
> benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?
>
> Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
> scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues.

Suckering
> in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
> much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
> play... :O|

Hmmmm......what do I get out my union...? Let me think: regular raises not
based on favortism, recognized seniority for schedule picks and vacations,
overtime (no, it not all covered by the Federal law), better working
conditions, paid holidays,
health benefits (after I finished my probationary period of 90 days), jury
duty pay, bereavement pay, a grievance procedure for when the boss screws me
over (and he will), meal periods (no, the state and federal law don't really
touch that, either), report pay (so they don't call me in for 20 minutes of
work after a 30 minute drive), premium pay for certain jobs, transfer
guidelines, protection against managers doing my work and taking my hours,
guidelines for drug testing.......

and I never even had to mention "pension".

I admit to not knowing much about IWW, but where I work, I'm damn glad there
is a union that helps me out. Let's hope Starbucks employees choose a good
union.

Stan de SD

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> link.net...

LABOUR

> > BUNCH

> > MAKING

> > > Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
> > > know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
> > > single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
> > > can point out the most.

> > OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will

soon
> > be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions?

How
> > many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
> > benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?
> >
> > Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
> > scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues.

Suckering
> > in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
> > much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
> > play... :O|
> >

> Stan your rant is typical, outdated and so ludicrous it would be sad if

not
> for the fact that you probably actually believe it yourself. Do you have

any
> clue as to how miniscule union dues are compared to the benefits received?

Once again, how are most individuals who are only going to work at Starbucks
for a year or two going to receive "benefits"?

In addition, if the benefits received are such to make the dues "miniscule",
who's paying for them?

Answer those questions before you lecture me about doing my "homework", OK?

Stan de SD

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> link.net...

LABOUR

> > BUNCH

> > MAKING

> > > Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
> > > know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
> > > single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
> > > can point out the most.

> > OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will

soon
> > be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions?

How
> > many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
> > benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?
> >
> > Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
> > scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues.

Suckering
> > in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
> > much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
> > play... :O|
> >

> Stan your rant is typical, outdated and so ludicrous it would be sad if

not
> for the fact that you probably actually believe it yourself. Do you have

any
> clue as to how miniscule union dues are compared to the benefits received?

Once again, how are most individuals who are only going to work at Starbucks
for a year or two going to receive "benefits"?

In addition, if the benefits received are such to make the dues "miniscule",
who's paying for them?

Answer those questions before you lecture me about doing my "homework", OK?

Stan de SD

"Paragon" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> link.net...

> LABOUR

> > BUNCH

> > MAKING

> > > Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
> > > know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
> > > single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
> > > can point out the most.

> > OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will

> soon
> > be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions?

How
> > many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
> > benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?
> >
> > Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
> > scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues.

> Suckering
> > in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
> > much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
> > play... :O|

> Hmmmm......what do I get out my union...? Let me think: regular raises

not
> based on favortism, recognized seniority for schedule picks and vacations,
> overtime (no, it not all covered by the Federal law), better working
> conditions, paid holidays,
> health benefits (after I finished my probationary period of 90 days), jury
> duty pay, bereavement pay, a grievance procedure for when the boss screws

me
> over (and he will), meal periods (no, the state and federal law don't

really
> touch that, either), report pay (so they don't call me in for 20 minutes

of
> work after a 30 minute drive), premium pay for certain jobs, transfer
> guidelines, protection against managers doing my work and taking my hours,
> guidelines for drug testing.......

I'm currently self-employed, and even with a lukewarm economy, my monthly
income is 3-4 times what I earned at the only union job I ever worked.
Again, the same question applies - given that benefits are aimed towards
long-term career employees, how will the average college-age student benefit
when he or she is going to move down the road in a year or two?