Old 21-05-2004, 02:22 AM
G*rd*n

Default Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"bodi" :
The freaks at the local starbucks are already way too wobbly for my liking.

Yeah, stick to Aunt Emma's Tea Room. Starbucks -- there's a
seriously weird venue, eh? You wouldn't expect to see things
like that this side of Bangkok.

"No, put it _in_ the espresso. Yeah, right in. Yeah, like
that. Oooh. Aaaaaaah."

And it's only 3 in the afternoon....

--

() /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{ }"{

Old 21-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Dan Clore

JR wrote:
I didn't know the "wobblies" still existed.

http://www.iww.org/

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
_Detective Comics_ #608

Old 30-05-2004, 01:56 AM
rebelguy

I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A BUNCH
OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
50-60,000 A YEAR

"JR" wrote in message
om...
I didn't know the "wobblies" still existed.

JR

Starbucks Workers Move to Unionize
NewsMax Wires
Wednesday, May 19, 2004

New York, NY -- Starbucks workers here have organized a
union with the Industrial Workers of the World IU/660 and
have submitted union cards today to the NLRB for a
certification election.

The workers are poised to become the first Starbucks
Baristas union certified in the country. Starbucks Baristas
at the 36th and Madison location in Midtown Manhattan have
come together in an effort to raise themselves out of
poverty as well as to achieve respect and dignity on the
job. The workers are calling on Starbucks to obey the law as
the election approaches.

"Behind the green aprons and smiles are individuals living
in serious poverty," said Daniel Gross, a worker at the
store. "Baristas are the cornerstone of a Starbucks coffee
shop, we just deserve better. Starbucks cashes in on a
community friendly image but it certainly doesn't extend to
their workers or coffee farmers. That's why we went Union."

Starbucks is a $15 billion company with over 7,500 locations
around the world, but workers have most emphatically not
shared in their success. In New York City with one of the
highest costs of living in the world, Starbucks workers
start at $7.75 an hour and eventually receive raises
amounting to merely a few cents.

Starbucks has also developed a scheme whereby all Baristas
work on a part-time basis and are not guaranteed any amount
of hours per week thus making it exceedingly difficult for
workers to budget for necessities like rent, utilities, and
food.

"I come to work and I work hard," said Maureen Medianero,
23, who has worked at Starbucks for almost 2 years. "But I'm
still hanging on by a shoe string not knowing if I can make
ends meet to support my daughter. It's frightening."

Although Starbuck workers serve an enormous volume of
beverages, many of them extremely hot, in order to save
money management refuses to schedule enough workers to do
the required work safely. Instead, workers are forced to
perform their duties at unsafe speeds with an undue level of
physical exertion.

"A Starbucks coffee shop is an ergonomic minefield. The
stores are supposed to mimic an Italian cafe without
considering the uncomfortable bending and reaching we have
to do," explained Barista Anthony Polanco. "This isn't your
mom and pop coffee shop, we're talking McDonald's busy every
day. Starbucks talks about 'Creating Warmth' but the only
warmth I feel is the heat pad at the end of the day."

The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), founded in 1905,
is a union dedicated to workplace democracy. IWW IU/660
represents workers in the retail industry.

Old 30-05-2004, 02:12 AM
G*rd*n

"rebelguy" :

I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A BUNCH
OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
50-60,000 A YEAR

Your cliché key is stuck.

--

() /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{ }"{

Old 30-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Dan Clore

G*rd*n wrote:
"rebelguy" :

I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A BUNCH
OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
50-60,000 A YEAR

Your cliché key is stuck.

Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
can point out the most.

Old 30-05-2004, 03:31 PM
[email protected]

rebelguy wrote:

I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
UNION

F*ckin' MAXISTS! Hasn't Max's been proven wrong yet in the eyes of
these people. Goddam Max!

AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE

Well, most dues these days are based on around 2 hours pay a month,
which, for full-time, 40 hour work comes in at around 1-2% of pay. (IWW
dues are between $6-18 a hour-based on monthly income- a relative bargain).

TO A BUNCH
OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
50-60,000 A YEAR

I'm sure this got quite a laugh from all the Wobbly "union
bosses"...g... (PS- 50-60,000 WHAT a year?)

om...

Old 30-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Hawth Hill

in article , rebelguy at
wrote on 05/30/2004 1:56 AM:

I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
UNION

Who's the "dupe"? Or should I say "stupe"? . . . If you'd bothered to read
the newstory that was pasted to your rant, you'd have seen what is obvious -
- - - those "stupid people" haven't yet selected the union for anything.
All they've done is file the necessary paperwork with the NLRB to support
their petition that the Board conduct an election. . . . See where the story
speaks of their having submitted cards to the Board for the purpose of a
certification election?

"Marxist?" . . . Since when has Marxism permitted affairs to be managed by
free elections? All pursuant to law?

No, you flat don't know what you're talking about.

It's good ol' American law that happens to be in control here. Not Marxism.
Passed decades and decades ago by freely elected representatives in
congress. Since then affirmed by the courts, and left in place by both
liberals and conservatives alike.

NLRB regulations require that, before the Board will even begin the process
of conducting an election, there must first be what is known as a "showing
of interest." In the Board's view, that means that the Board won't even get
involved unless at least 30% of the people who might someday be in the
"unit" of workers that would be affected by the election first signify that
they want to do so by signing what are known as "union authorization cards".
If they do, then the Board's processes are followed, and an election almost
always results. If the parties and the Board are convinced that the
election was run fairly then the Board will issue a certification of its
results. If the union has won, then the employer is required to engage in
bargaining with it in good faith for a reasonable time.

In cases where the voting has been unfairly interfered with by one of the
parties, then the Board will not issue a certification. Instead, it
normally orders that the election be re-run.

Some American you are! You don't even believe in democracy in action!
Don't trust workers to vote freely for what THEY want! (Of course, I don't
suppose that you know that the Board also conducts elections by workers to
get rid of unions. Well, they do. Don't you support the right of workers
to vote in THOSE elections?)

Depending upon the precise wording on such cards, it is possible that those
cards might someday be used as a basis for a demand that the employer
voluntarily recognize and bargain collectively with the union. Some
employers honor such demands where it is shown that a majority of their
employees favor having a union. That's been the law in the U.S. for decades.

Indeed, there are even cases where those cards may be used as a basis for
the Board to issue an order that an employer recognize and bargain. Such
instances are limited to cases where there was once a majority of employees
shown to have supported the union, and where the union's majority was
destroyed by virtue of intimidation and coercion by the employer, plus the
Board's determination that the nature and severity of the employer's unfair
labor practices has made the likelihood of a free and fair election dubious
at best. That's been the law in the U.S. for decades.

AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A BUNCH
OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
50-60,000 A YEAR

Whatever they "turn over" will be the result of their own free choice. And
will be continued only so long as the employees continue to so choose. . . .
But, of course, hating democracy as you do, you're positive that you know
what's good for them better than they know themselves.

I don't know whether or not these employees will vote to have a union. I
don't even care. . . . But, I'm absolutely certain that it's a great thing
that they have that free choice to make for themselves. And that their free
choice is backed up by the law.

HH

om...

Old 30-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Stan de SD

"G*rd*n" wrote in message
"rebelguy" :

I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A

BUNCH
OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY

MAKING
50-60,000 A YEAR

Your cliché key is stuck.

Yet he's right. Starbucks jobs are for the most part "entry-level" - 90% of
the people working there will move on to bigger and better things within a
year or two. These people won't see a penny of the so-called "pension" and
"retirement" schemes they will be forced into paying with their dues, which
is exactly what the union bosses are hoping for.