FoodBanter.com

-   Coffee (https://www.foodbanter.com/coffee/)
-   -   Starbucks Workers Join IWW (https://www.foodbanter.com/coffee/25653-starbucks-workers-join-iww.html)

Stan de SD 30-05-2004 11:53 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"Paragon" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> link.net...

> LABOUR

> > BUNCH

> > MAKING

> > > Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
> > > know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
> > > single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
> > > can point out the most.

> > OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will

> soon
> > be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions?

How
> > many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
> > benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?
> >
> > Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
> > scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues.

> Suckering
> > in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
> > much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
> > play... :O|

> Hmmmm......what do I get out my union...? Let me think: regular raises

not
> based on favortism, recognized seniority for schedule picks and vacations,
> overtime (no, it not all covered by the Federal law), better working
> conditions, paid holidays,
> health benefits (after I finished my probationary period of 90 days), jury
> duty pay, bereavement pay, a grievance procedure for when the boss screws

me
> over (and he will), meal periods (no, the state and federal law don't

really
> touch that, either), report pay (so they don't call me in for 20 minutes

of
> work after a 30 minute drive), premium pay for certain jobs, transfer
> guidelines, protection against managers doing my work and taking my hours,
> guidelines for drug testing.......

I'm currently self-employed, and even with a lukewarm economy, my monthly
income is 3-4 times what I earned at the only union job I ever worked.
Again, the same question applies - given that benefits are aimed towards
long-term career employees, how will the average college-age student benefit
when he or she is going to move down the road in a year or two?

Michael Legel 31-05-2004 01:17 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> >
> > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > link.net...

> LABOUR

> > > BUNCH
> > > MAKING

> > > OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will

> soon
> > > be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions?

> How
> > > many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
> > > benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?
> > >
> > > Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
> > > scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues.

> Suckering
> > > in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
> > > much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
> > > play... :O|
> > >

> > Stan your rant is typical, outdated and so ludicrous it would be sad if

> not
> > for the fact that you probably actually believe it yourself. Do you have

> any
> > clue as to how miniscule union dues are compared to the benefits received?

> Once again, how are most individuals who are only going to work at Starbucks
> for a year or two going to receive "benefits"?
>
> In addition, if the benefits received are such to make the dues "miniscule",
> who's paying for them?
>
> Answer those questions before you lecture me about doing my "homework", OK?

I don't have to answer your questions. It would be pointless to do so anyway
.... you are not going to be convinced by me. Thus I suggest you really
research these questions for yourself, only then will you realize the truth
that unions have provided far more benefit to employers, employees and
consumers than any other fraternal group in history. That is the fact that
you will not believe unless you read it for yourself. I suspect you don't do
the research because you simply WON'T believe this is possible. You probably
believe the eight hour work day, overtime, child labor laws, sweat shop laws,
etc. were all "given" to workers out of the intrinsic goodness of employers?
We all paid for those benefits ... employer, employee and consumer ... and we
all benefit because at some time in our lives we are each employer, employee
and consumer. So simple really.

Michael Legel 31-05-2004 01:17 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

G*rd*n 31-05-2004 03:27 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"rebelguy" >:
> > > I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
> > > UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A BUNCH
> > > OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
> > > 50-60,000 A YEAR

"G*rd*n":

"Stan de SD" >:
> Yet he's right. Starbucks jobs are for the most part "entry-level" - 90% of
> the people working there will move on to bigger and better things within a
> year or two. These people won't see a penny of the so-called "pension" and
> "retirement" schemes they will be forced into paying with their dues, which
> is exactly what the union bosses are hoping for.

How do you know? Do you have the particulars of the contract
and the union's management and financial affairs at hand?

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{ }"{

G*rd*n 31-05-2004 03:27 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"rebelguy" >:
> > > I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WERE DUPED BY A MAXIST LABOUR
> > > UNION AND NOW WILL BE TURNING OVER LARGE PARTS OF WHAT THEY MAKE TO A BUNCH
> > > OF FAT,LAZY WHITE HAIRED UNION BOSS'S WHO SIT ON THEIR ASS'S ALL DAY MAKING
> > > 50-60,000 A YEAR

"G*rd*n":

Barnacle Bill 31-05-2004 03:41 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

In article m>, Michael Legel wrote:

"You probably believe the eight hour work day, overtime, child labor laws,
sweat shop laws, etc. were all "given" to workers out of the intrinsic
goodness of employers?"

The 'eight hour day' was an invention of Henry Ford. He instituted it,
along with unprecedented high wages, because he needed to eliminate the
rampant absenteeism and turnover in his plants. A stable, happy workforce
was absolutely key in the success of Ford. Unions had zero to do with it,
desire for profits everything.

BB

Dan Clore 31-05-2004 11:18 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Barnacle Bill wrote:
> In article m>, Michael Legel wrote:
>
> "You probably believe the eight hour work day, overtime, child labor laws,
> sweat shop laws, etc. were all "given" to workers out of the intrinsic
> goodness of employers?"
>
> The 'eight hour day' was an invention of Henry Ford. He instituted it,
> along with unprecedented high wages, because he needed to eliminate the
> rampant absenteeism and turnover in his plants. A stable, happy workforce
> was absolutely key in the success of Ford. Unions had zero to do with it,
> desire for profits everything.

He instituted the eight hour workday only after labor
activists had been fighting for it for decades.

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
_Detective Comics_ #608

Dan Clore 31-05-2004 11:18 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

[email protected] 31-05-2004 01:18 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Stan de SD wrote:

> Once again, how are most individuals who are only going to work at Starbucks
> for a year or two going to receive "benefits"?

Hmmm... let's see...I know! 13 days after the contract, Suzie goes to
the doctor and uses her medical card (*DING*) and gets a prescription,
goes to the drug store and pays a $5 co-pay (*DING*) instead of $47. A
couple days later Jimmy goes to the dentist for an semi-annual check-up
(*DING*). Paulie opened up a 401k account (transferrable to his next
job) and he explained the plan to Kathy on their 30 minute break one
Saturday (*DING*), when they were both working a time and one half pay
(*DING*). She would have opened her account Monday, but she was called
in and ASKED to work (*DING*) an extra shift, since Lew needed to take a
personal day 'cause his kid was sick (*DING*). Mary missed this all,
tho', 'cause she was on a two week paid vacation (*DING*).

"Benefits" are a LOT more than retirement accounts.

> In addition, if the benefits received are such to make the dues "miniscule",
> who's paying for them?

The IWW is not the sort of union that runs it's own pension funds or
medical plans (those unions are usually in the construction field or
other industries were employees often work for a number of different
employers). If a contract is signed with Starbucks, Starbucks would pay
for the benefits.

> Answer those questions before you lecture me about doing my "homework", OK?

Well, you really should do some homework on what the IWW is before you
use your cliche arguments against it. Your replies are particularly
amusing to those who know the IWW...

[email protected] 31-05-2004 01:18 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Dan Clore 31-05-2004 01:53 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Stan de SD wrote:
> "Dan Clore" > wrote in message
>>G*rd*n wrote:

> BUNCH

> MAKING
>>>>
>>>Your cliché key is stuck.

>>Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
>>know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
>>single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
>>can point out the most.

> OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will soon
> be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions? How
> many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
> benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?
>
> Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
> scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues. Suckering
> in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
> much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
> play... :O|

I'm afraid we'll have to disqualify Stain's entry in the
contest. The challenge was to find as many falsehoods as
possible in rebelguy's post, not to brainlessly repeat some
of them. Come on, people: I'll bet there's at least ten
distinct falsehoods in there.

Dan Clore 31-05-2004 01:53 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Stan de SD 31-05-2004 07:32 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > > Stan your rant is typical, outdated and so ludicrous it
> > > would be sad if not for the fact that you probably
> > > actually believe it yourself. Do you have any clue
> > > as to how miniscule union dues are compared to the
> > > benefits received?

> > Once again, how are most individuals who are only going to work at

Starbucks
> > for a year or two going to receive "benefits"?
> >
> > In addition, if the benefits received are such to make the dues

"miniscule",
> > who's paying for them?
> >
> > Answer those questions before you lecture me about doing my "homework",

OK?

> I don't have to answer your questions.

Because you can't, right?

> It would be pointless to do so anyway
> ... you are not going to be convinced by me.

Given that you can't answer my questions.

> Thus I suggest you really
> research these questions for yourself,

I have researched them myself, and it appears that union dues paid by people
who don't draw benefits go to subsidize somebody else. That's a no-brainer.

> only then will you realize the truth
> that unions have provided far more benefit to employers, employees and
> consumers than any other fraternal group in history.

Proof?

> That is the fact that
> you will not believe unless you read it for yourself.

I'm asking for proof, not a bunch of pro-union rhetoric.

> I suspect you don't do
> the research because you simply WON'T believe this is possible. You

probably
> believe the eight hour work day, overtime, child labor laws, sweat shop

laws,
> etc. were all "given" to workers out of the intrinsic goodness of

employers?

Unions can't give away what isn't made possible by a higher standard of
living brought on by increasing wealth and technological development.

Stan de SD 31-05-2004 07:32 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

G*rd*n 31-05-2004 08:02 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"Stan de SD" >:
> Because you can't, right?

No, because someone else answered the questions.

It's truly sad to see someone of even limited intelligence
wasting precious electrons like this. Why don't you get
together with Barnacle Bill and at least read the relevant
material? Get a few facts? BB seems to be in even worse
shape than you. You could help each other. Then, when
you wanted to abuse the lower classes, you could do it
with a little style, anyway.

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{ }"{
{
http://www.etaoin.com | latest new material 5/10/04 <-adv't

G*rd*n 31-05-2004 08:02 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Paragon 31-05-2004 10:06 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Paragon" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> >
> > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > link.net...

> > LABOUR

> > > BUNCH

DAY
> > > MAKING

> > > OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they

will
> > soon
> > > be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions?

> How
> > > many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
> > > benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?
> > >
> > > Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their

Ponzi
> > > scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues.

> > Suckering
> > > in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any

"benefits",
> > > much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
> > > play... :O|

> > Hmmmm......what do I get out my union...? Let me think: regular raises

> not
> > based on favortism, recognized seniority for schedule picks and

vacations,
> > overtime (no, it not all covered by the Federal law), better working
> > conditions, paid holidays,
> > health benefits (after I finished my probationary period of 90 days),

jury
> > duty pay, bereavement pay, a grievance procedure for when the boss

screws
> me
> > over (and he will), meal periods (no, the state and federal law don't

> really
> > touch that, either), report pay (so they don't call me in for 20 minutes

> of
> > work after a 30 minute drive), premium pay for certain jobs, transfer
> > guidelines, protection against managers doing my work and taking my

hours,
> > guidelines for drug testing.......

> I'm currently self-employed, and even with a lukewarm economy, my monthly
> income is 3-4 times what I earned at the only union job I ever worked.
> Again, the same question applies - given that benefits are aimed towards
> long-term career employees, how will the average college-age student

benefit
> when he or she is going to move down the road in a year or two?

Better working conditions, breaks, regular raises, sick pay, paid
holidays.....My company has a lot of college-age people, and they do benefit
from those things, even in the short term. I would like to know exactly
what brought on the desire for a union in this NY Starbucks. I doubt
someone woke up one day and said "hey, let's organize." Many times, it not
the unions who go in to try to organize, it's the employees who make the
first contact after putting up with all sorts of abuse from the employer.

Anyone know what precipitated this particular push?

Paragon 31-05-2004 10:06 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

ink.net...

yossarian 31-05-2004 11:52 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Good for the workers at Starbucks. I don't know about them but my dues
are only $12 bucks a month. And, what do you have against a marxist
labor union? Although, in all honesty, one of the reasons I joined was
to irritate the anti-union folks. A lot of what I do is only to irritate
others. Socrates was my hero you see.

volantus4 01-06-2004 01:27 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

I go to Starbucks a great deal for coffee. The barristas are, almost
without exception, very courteous,pleasant, and refined in their
behavior which makes going to Starbucks such a pleasure.
They deserve the best in my opinion!

Ernesto Nevarez 01-06-2004 04:38 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

> LABOUR

> > BUNCH

> > MAKING

What is a "MAXIST" ? (sic) chuckle!

Stupid? The pot calling the kettle black.

Sorry, couldn't avoid it.

ernie

Ernesto Nevarez 01-06-2004 04:38 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Stan de SD 01-06-2004 05:45 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"G*rd*n" > wrote in message

LABOUR

A BUNCH

MAKING

> "G*rd*n":
> > > Your cliché key is stuck.

> "Stan de SD" >:
> > Yet he's right. Starbucks jobs are for the most part "entry-level" - 90%

of
> > the people working there will move on to bigger and better things within

> > year or two. These people won't see a penny of the so-called "pension"

and
> > "retirement" schemes they will be forced into paying with their dues,

which
> > is exactly what the union bosses are hoping for.

> How do you know? Do you have the particulars of the contract
> and the union's management and financial affairs at hand?

Because unlike you, G*r*n, not everybody spends their entire life working in
the fast-food industry. Others are far more motivated than you...

Stan de SD 01-06-2004 05:45 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

G*rd*n 01-06-2004 12:44 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

rebelguy" >:
> [...]

"G*rd*n":

"Stan de SD" >:
> Because unlike you, G*r*n, not everybody spends their entire life working in
> the fast-food industry. Others are far more motivated than you...

In other words, you don't know what you're talking about.
I'm just shocked.

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{ }"{

G*rd*n 01-06-2004 12:44 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

rebelguy" >:
> [...]

"G*rd*n":

michael price 02-06-2004 12:41 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message ws.com>...
> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> > >
> > > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > > link.net...

> LABOUR

> BUNCH

> MAKING

> soon

> How

> Suckering
> > > >

> > > Stan your rant is typical, outdated and so ludicrous it would be sad if

> not
> > > for the fact that you probably actually believe it yourself. Do you have

> any
> > > clue as to how miniscule union dues are compared to the benefits received?

> > Once again, how are most individuals who are only going to work at Starbucks
> > for a year or two going to receive "benefits"?
> >
> > In addition, if the benefits received are such to make the dues "miniscule",
> > who's paying for them?
> >
> > Answer those questions before you lecture me about doing my "homework", OK?
> >

> I don't have to answer your questions. It would be pointless to do so anyway
> ... you are not going to be convinced by me. Thus I suggest you really
> research these questions for yourself, only then will you realize the truth
> that unions have provided far more benefit to employers, employees and
> consumers than any other fraternal group in history. That is the fact that
> you will not believe unless you read it for yourself.

In other words you can't find any evidence but you want him to.

> I suspect you don't do the research because you simply WON'T believe
> this is possible. You probably believe the eight hour work day,
> overtime, child labor laws, sweat shop laws, etc. were all "given" to
> workers out of the intrinsic goodness of employers?

The eight hour day was "given" because people stopped being prepared
to work longer. To get the best workers employers had to offer 8 hour
days. The fact that the union was there at the time had nothing to
do with it. Child labour laws were not given out of the goodness
of anyone's heart. They were brutal impositions on the lives of
children, forcing them back to the family home to work harder, longer
in worse conditions so that the elders didn't have to compete with
them.

> We all paid for those benefits ... employer, employee and consumer
> ... and we all benefit because at some time in our lives we are
> each employer, employee and consumer. So simple really.

Well no it's not. For a start I've never been an employer so you
are wrong. For a second thing I don't know any benefit of unions
to employers except that they can cripple opposition businesses,
which is hardly good for the consumer.

michael price 02-06-2004 12:41 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Michael Legel 02-06-2004 03:59 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"michael price" > wrote in message
om...
> The eight hour day was "given" because people stopped being prepared
> to work longer. To get the best workers employers had to offer 8 hour
> days. The fact that the union was there at the time had nothing to
> do with it. Child labour laws were not given out of the goodness
> of anyone's heart. They were brutal impositions on the lives of
> children, forcing them back to the family home to work harder, longer
> in worse conditions so that the elders didn't have to compete with
> them.

You really have no education of what child labor was like in America before
those laws. Your ignorance is astounding.

> Well no it's not. For a start I've never been an employer so you
> are wrong. For a second thing I don't know any benefit of unions
> to employers except that they can cripple opposition businesses,
> which is hardly good for the consumer.

I suspect you have never realized how many times you have directly employed
someone to mow your grass, deliver your paper, baby-sit your children, install
carpet, work on plumbing, put up siding, etc. It is indeed a rare person in
America who has not at some time "employed" someone else to do a service.

A union provides a huge benefit to employers by providing ONE point of
negotiation for all employees. No longer does the boss have to deal alone
with the barrage of complaint, grief and just plain whining of employees. The
union also helps to shoulder that burden and provides a convenient scapegoat
at times. At one time pattern bargaining also provided a level playing field
in wages, but with the demise of unions everybody now gets the same low wage.

Since you refuse to honestly research the facts of union history in America
you can't learn from the mistakes of the present economy. There is no
organization today with enough clout to represent the worker today and today
we call Wallymart, MickeyD, Harpees, etc. .... jobs. There was a time (that
I can remember) when one working person could bring home a paycheck large
enough to support one family of 7 people. Now two wage earners are hard
pressed to support a smaller family. This is not progress.

Michael Legel 02-06-2004 03:59 PM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Christopher Browne 03-06-2004 12:55 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

After a long battle with technology, "Michael Legel" >, an earthling, wrote:
> A union provides a huge benefit to employers by providing ONE point of
> negotiation for all employees. No longer does the boss have to deal alone
> with the barrage of complaint, grief and just plain whining of employees. The
> union also helps to shoulder that burden and provides a convenient scapegoat
> at times. At one time pattern bargaining also provided a level playing field
> in wages, but with the demise of unions everybody now gets the same low wage.

I worked one place where unions provided their 'huge benefit' to the
employer by providing SEVENTEEN POINTS of negotiation spread across
the employees, thereby meaning that there were 17 sources of
grievances, where "agreement" requires that each of the (competing!)
unions decide to agree.

It was _not_ evident that it led to any diminishment of the "barrage"
of complaints.

I'd have to agree that the unions could use one another as scapegoats
when needed, though...
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/emacs.html

Christopher Browne 03-06-2004 12:55 AM

Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Dan Clore 03-06-2004 10:02 AM

Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

Starbucks Obstructing First US Union Vote
posted by IU/660 on Tuesday June 01 2004 @ 11:44AM PDT
June 1, 2004
Contact:
Starbucks Obstructing First US Union Vote

Workers to Schultz: What are you so scared of?

New York, NY--The Starbucks Baristas Union and community
members across the country have condemned repeated attempts
by the company to deny workers a fair vote on the Union.
While paying lip-service to respecting the choice of
employees, Starbucks has deployed a variety of crude tactics
in an effort to defeat the IWW IU/660, which would be the
first union certified in the United States at the mammoth chain.

Supporters around the country and internationally are
contacting Starbucks demanding they live up to their
rhetoric. If Starbucks really is a bastion of worker
benefits, what is Chairman Howard Schultz, who raked in over
$17 million last year, so scared of? The truth is Starbucks,
with its poverty wages and rampant repetitive-stress
dangers, resembles a sweatshop more than it does a decent
place to work.

The IWW released today the text they obtained of a voice
mail Howard Schultz sent to employees around the company
regarding the Union which Schultz calls, "very disappointing
and disturbing."

"What we have here is classic union busting plain and
simple," said Benjamin Ferguson, an IWW member working on
the campaign. "They are using the same down and dirty tricks
we see time and time again from highly successful
corporations unwilling to give their workers a fair shake."

One the legal front, Starbucks has hired corporate law firm
Akin Gump to argue that the workers in the store aren't
entitled to a vote. Mr. Shultz is fond of saying the
Starbucks Mission Statement requires respect and dignity for
employees but apparently that does not include exercising
the right to form a union. The IWW will face off with
Starbucks on June 2 at a formal hearing at the National
Labor Relations Board.

"Single stores within retail chains have long been presumed
appropriate bargaining units," said Stuart Lichten of
Kennedy, Schwartz, and Cure, the firm representing the
Union. "We are confident we will prevail on the merits."

The company is also using scare tactics to intimidate
workers. Management has been interrogating certain workers
about the union while spreading misinformation about
joining. At the same time, senior executives are in and out
of the store constantly making sure workers feel the heat.

Starbucks earned a record $268 million last year on revenues
of more than $4 billion. The company admits that Baristas
add tremendous value to the enterprise yet refuses to pay
them a wage that would bring them out of poverty.

Starbucks workers in New York City announced last month that
they had formed a union with the IWW IU/660. The IWW is a
union for all workers, dedicated to organizing on the job
and in the community. IU/660 represents retail workers.

###

Text of Voicemail Sent by Howard Schultz, Wednesday 5/19

Hello partners, this is Howard Schultz with a message for
all of you. I wanted to take a moment and reach out to you
regarding information that the company recently received. A
local union in New York claims that some of our partners at
the 36th and Madison location in New York City have
expressed an interest in being represented by them.

While I recognize that this is related to only one store,
this news is very disappointing and disturbing. Over the
last 25 years, we have worked together to build a great
company based on our core values and as a result have built
great trust in one another. We always strive to live by our
mission statement and guiding principles. And when we wrote
the guiding principles, we very deliberately put creating a
great work environment and treating everyone with dignity
and respect as our highest priority.

Back in the earliest days of Starbucks, we did what others
said could not be done -- together we built a profitable
company while integrating a social conscience into
everything we do. We began offering comprehensive health
care coverage and ownership in the company in the form of
Bean Stock to full- and part-time partners. Those decisions
were landmark events in our company history and our
compassion for one another truly differentiates us. We have
succeeded beyond everyone's wildest expectations. Today, we
employ more than 80,000 partners around the world. And our
commitment to our core values is as strong today as it was
in those very early days of our company.

Because of the way we work together, we receive many
accolades from the outside world for what we do -- we're on
the Fortune 100 Best Places to work list, the Most Admired
Companies list, and much more. That recognition is great,
but what's more important is that we have a caring and
supportive culture. So please, if you ever have any concerns
about our company, reach out to your local leadership, write
to Mission Review, or use any of the many means we have to
discuss and resolve issues and create a comfortable culture
for everyone.

I want to conclude by simply thanking you for everything you
do each day, and for being the real heart and soul of
Starbucks. Thank you.

Related at Infoshop:
http://www.infoshop.org/octo/matrix/index.php/Starbucks

Wm James 04-06-2004 04:53 PM

Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 02:02:29 -0700, Dan Clore
> wrote:

>News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>
>Starbucks Obstructing First US Union Vote
>posted by IU/660 on Tuesday June 01 2004 @ 11:44AM PDT
>June 1, 2004
>Contact:
>Starbucks Obstructing First US Union Vote
>
>Workers to Schultz: What are you so scared of?
>
>New York, NY--The Starbucks Baristas Union and community
>members across the country have condemned repeated attempts
>by the company to deny workers a fair vote on the Union.
>While paying lip-service to respecting the choice of
>employees, Starbucks has deployed a variety of crude tactics
>in an effort to defeat the IWW IU/660, which would be the
>first union certified in the United States at the mammoth chain.

Why would any company want their employees following organized crime
thugs?

>Supporters around the country and internationally are
>contacting Starbucks demanding they live up to their
>rhetoric. If Starbucks really is a bastion of worker
>benefits, what is Chairman Howard Schultz, who raked in over
>$17 million last year, so scared of? The truth is Starbucks,
>with its poverty wages and rampant repetitive-stress
>dangers, resembles a sweatshop more than it does a decent
>place to work.

Hey, here's an idea.... DON'T WORK THERE! If it's a bad job, sell
your labor elsewhere! I know that's a difficult concept for morons to
grasp, but if you can't find a sucker willing to pay you better then
just mayby you arealready overpaid and you should be happy to get it.

>The IWW released today the text they obtained of a voice
>mail Howard Schultz sent to employees around the company
>regarding the Union which Schultz calls, "very disappointing
>and disturbing."
>
>"What we have here is classic union busting plain and
>simple," said Benjamin Ferguson, an IWW member working on
>the campaign. "They are using the same down and dirty tricks
>we see time and time again from highly successful
>corporations unwilling to give their workers a fair shake."

For example?

>One the legal front, Starbucks has hired corporate law firm
>Akin Gump to argue that the workers in the store aren't
>entitled to a vote. Mr. Shultz is fond of saying the
>Starbucks Mission Statement requires respect and dignity for
>employees but apparently that does not include exercising
>the right to form a union. The IWW will face off with
>Starbucks on June 2 at a formal hearing at the National
>Labor Relations Board.

You can make or join whatever private club you want. In a free
society, the employer shouldn't have to associate with it. What if the
bread makers union wanted to force you to pay more for bread and
demanded that you couldn't stop buying it or shop elsewhere?

>"Single stores within retail chains have long been presumed
>appropriate bargaining units," said Stuart Lichten of
>Kennedy, Schwartz, and Cure, the firm representing the
>Union. "We are confident we will prevail on the merits."

ROTFLMAO! Lawyers and unions talking about "merits"? That's funny!

>The company is also using scare tactics to intimidate
>workers. Management has been interrogating certain workers
>about the union while spreading misinformation about
>joining. At the same time, senior executives are in and out
>of the store constantly making sure workers feel the heat.

Having been an employee where a union was attempting to infiltrate, I
can tell you the attempts at intimidation are virtually unisersally on
the part of the crime bosses sheep trying to organize a union. The
company has it's hands tired by the goofy regulations. If a union
threatens the company to the poit that they will have to close the
doors if the thungs get in, they aren't even allowed to tell the
employees.

>Starbucks earned a record $268 million last year on revenues
>of more than $4 billion. The company admits that Baristas
>add tremendous value to the enterprise yet refuses to pay
>them a wage that would bring them out of poverty.

So what? When you buy something, is it your responsibility to take
care of the seller's family?

>Starbucks workers in New York City announced last month that
>they had formed a union with the IWW IU/660. The IWW is a
>union for all workers, dedicated to organizing on the job
>and in the community. IU/660 represents retail workers.

Ynions represent the crime boss, not the sheep.

He sounds reasonable.

William R. James

Wm James 04-06-2004 04:53 PM

G*rd*n 04-06-2004 08:06 PM

Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

:
> Why would any company want their employees following organized crime
> thugs?

One modest regular payment to the OCTs, and, voilà!
Labor peace. Did you really need to ask?

I don't think this has much to do with the subject at hand,
however.

--