Michael_Rv_12

Default Question about Coffee Grinders

Is it necessary to roast your own beans before grinding them? I would
like better tasting coffee beside the usual Maxwell House in the can
which I normally drink but from what I've read about roasting the beans,
it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Thanks.

Skenzer

What does this post have to do with coffee grinders? anyway, don't
bother roasting your own beans for god's sake.
Find a local coffee shop that sells FRESH roasted beans and take them
home and use a coffee MILL, not a grinder. A mill will produce much
more consistent grinds than a grinder ever can. Plus with most mills
you pretty much set it and forget it.
Skenz
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:29:48 -0500 (EST),
(Michael_Rv_12) wrote:

>Is it necessary to roast your own beans before grinding them? I would
>like better tasting coffee beside the usual Maxwell House in the can
>which I normally drink but from what I've read about roasting the beans,
>it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Thanks.

Skenzer

(Michael_Rv_12) wrote:

>Is it necessary to roast your own beans before grinding them? I would
>like better tasting coffee beside the usual Maxwell House in the can
>which I normally drink but from what I've read about roasting the beans,
>it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Thanks.

Tim Heaney

(Michael_Rv_12) writes:

> Is it necessary to roast your own beans before grinding them? I would
> like better tasting coffee beside the usual Maxwell House in the can
> which I normally drink but from what I've read about roasting the beans,
> it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Thanks.

I don't think so. Buying the beans already roasted, but not yet
ground, and grinding just the amount you need right before brewing
should give you a much better cup of coffee. Buying the beans green
and roasting them yourself might give you a little improvement over
that, but not nearly as much.

I've been roasting my own coffee for a little over a year now. It's
great fun buying different kinds of beans from all over the world and
roasting them different ways, but I can't say it's dramatically better
coffee. At best, it's marginally better. And if I screw up a batch,
it's actually worse.

If you are lucky enough to have a good coffee roaster in your
neighborhood, then buying just the amount you need of roasted whole
beans, say once or twice a week, would give you about as good a cup of
coffee as you could expect. Roasting it yourself would offer no
improvement at all, unless you prefer it roasted a certain way. Buying
whole beans from a coffee shop, supermarket or some other situation
requiring transportation and storage after roasting means the coffee
won't be quite as good. But those vacuum bags help and I believe they
help the whole beans a whole lot more than the already ground coffee.

But that's just my opinion. I think you'll find a lot more activity in
alt.coffee; you might wish to post your question there.

Tim
Tim Heaney