Old 30-01-2004, 02:27 AM
dmreed

Default Strange ebay Gaggia offers

I wrote something similar to my auctioneer mentioning that both his paypal
id was no longer valid and his ebay id was suspended after a couple of
emails from him and I have not heard any back from him!!!! and I did not
pay.

wish I had thought of the photo request!!!

those email addresses and ebay id do look familiar

"Billy" wrote in message
om...
Once again, I am the purchaser of the most likely "imaginary" Innova
grinder. Luckily, sibosyl didn't get my money.

At the recommendation of Paypal, I have submitted a request to e-bay
with the user names listed in this thread to see if any of them can be
connected to previously canceled accounts. Supposedly, they
investigate those within 24 hours. In the meantime, I sent this
response to the seller (I like how his name in the e-mail is
"Brandon," his yahoo username to send the paypal money to is
, and the other e-mail account listed on paypal
(which is accessible to me if I go partially through the payment
process)is
):

Old 30-01-2004, 02:55 AM
dmreed

Default Strange ebay espresso machine offers (continued)

done, I just bid $1.50 but I was outbid..........oh no :(

I will let you know if I get an offer to buy outside ebay

"Jack Denver" wrote in message
news
HMM. description seems to be pieced together from other sites, photo is
stock commercial photo.

Overall, a little less obvious. If the others were 10 on the scam scale,
I'd
give this one about an 8. Money order/bank transfer payment only puts it

up
to about a 9.

Anyone care to bid $1.25 and see if you get the "I'll sell it to you

outside
of ebay" email? Betcha you do.

"dmreed" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
this one is really unbelievable...recent registrant from ITALY and

shipping
is $15!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:SS:US:1

what a bargain!

Old 30-01-2004, 12:29 PM
SnakeOi1

looking at his other stuff. It isnt along the same lines as the other
scammers. Id suggest this may be a new seller. But as they say Caveat
emptor!
Buyer beware!!!!!!

Snake"Whats this plank doing in my eye?"Oil

Australia One Nation Under America ;o)

news:[email protected]

Old 30-01-2004, 12:29 PM
SnakeOi1

looking at his other stuff. It isnt along the same lines as the other
scammers. Id suggest this may be a new seller. But as they say Caveat
emptor!
Buyer beware!!!!!!

Snake"Whats this plank doing in my eye?"Oil

Australia One Nation Under America ;o)

news:[email protected]

Old 30-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Billy

I am not sure if you are still interested in getting an Innova but I bought
mine 6 months ago from Caffesolo. They send it to me within a few days and
have been working fine ever since (outstanding grind control). They have
even been nice enough to send a hopper replacement free of charge.

I just bought an Innova i1d in polished aluminum from Caffesolo. They
(Peter in particular) were great. He gave me an excellent deal on a
demo model and is shipping it today. He has a shipment of new ones on
the way from Barcelona, but I was too impatient and still liked the
idea of getting a deal, even though my e-bay thing didn't work out.

I'll post the results of the e-bay investigation when I receive them.
I understand that they don't give out many details, but I'll share
what they do provide.

Also, I did slip up and forget to delete my contact info on one of my
posts after copying and pasting the chain of e-mails, so just make
sure none of you call and harass me (unless you want to join the Navy
ROTC or talk about nuclear-powered submarines or something).

Old 30-01-2004, 08:29 PM
dmreed

just the test Jack recommended...so far no outside emails

"SnakeOi1" wrote in message
looking at his other stuff. It isnt along the same lines as the other
scammers. Id suggest this may be a new seller. But as they say Caveat
emptor!
Buyer beware!!!!!!

Snake"Whats this plank doing in my eye?"Oil

Australia One Nation Under America ;o)

news:[email protected]

Old 30-01-2004, 08:29 PM
dmreed

"SnakeOi1" wrote in message
looking at his other stuff. It isnt along the same lines as the other
scammers. Id suggest this may be a new seller. But as they say Caveat
emptor!
Buyer beware!!!!!!

Snake"Whats this plank doing in my eye?"Oil

Australia One Nation Under America ;o)

news:[email protected]

Old 02-02-2004, 01:45 PM
DFN

"Jack Denver" wrote in message
Your response does not compute - the email from the scammer specifically
asked that the scammee use Western Union money transfer, not Paypal . Even
if Paypal didn't exist, the scam could go on.

Oops, I agree just re-read OP.
You are right though, consumer need to exersice caution in their every
business transcation (buyer beware) since scammers are very adaptive and
evolving creatures.
Ah these times of ours!
Oh tempora oh mores.

Nor is this WU's fault either. The WU money transfer system is

specifically
for sending cash to known recipients such as family members. It is not

meant
to be a system for merchandise payments. They don't require that you have
ID, just to know the pickup #. This is because the reason many WU money
transfer happen in the 1st place is because the recipient has lost his
wallet while traveling and has no ID or cash.

If you mail the scammer a check, is it your bank's fault?

Trust me, if there was no WU and no Paypal, the scammers would figure some
other way to have the gullible pay them. They are endlessly inventive and
can think up endless lies and schemes.

The real problem lies with credulous purchasers who have forgetten the

maxim
"buyer beware". We live in a society with (what we hope) is an effective
system of law enforcement, so merchants usually do not feel free to cheat
and lie with impugnity. If they do, eventually the legal system may catch

up
with them. This has conditioned us to have a certain level of trust. When

we
mail the check off to L.L. Bean, we expect that they will mail us back

some
hunting boots and this is a reasonable expectation. However, "rumenah2000"
or "sibosyl" is not L.L. Bean and it is ultimately the buyer's
responsibility to figure that out. Not Paypal's, not ebays, not visa's,

not
WU's. You've got to make your own judgment and in this case, if your eyes
and ears are open, there are red lights flashing and alarms sounding like
crazy.

OTOH, these scammers live in semi-lawless "Wild West" type societies such
as Romania, Nigeria, Albania, etc. In addition, there is often desperate
poverty and no alternative legal employment that would net you as much as
scamming. Add to that the availability of internet connections that give

you
a pipeline to Americans with bulging wallets and slim common sense and you
have an irresistable combination.

"DFN" wrote in message
Yes and we have Paypal to thank in part as they have made it infinitely
easier to perpetuate scams like that.
At least with a real credit card vendor you have some recourse.

Gaggia steam problem Sla#s[_3_] Coffee 2 30-07-2011 03:21 AM
New 'pid' kit avail for Gaggia or Rancilio, etc. -- $125.00 edna713 Coffee 0 31-12-2006 01:04 AM
gaggia machines London Chap Coffee 0 25-01-2006 04:18 PM
Gaggia question Judy Konopka Coffee 0 11-10-2005 10:46 AM
gaggia expresso machines Smokeyone Coffee 5 02-11-2004 05:18 PM