tom b.

Default Grinder to pair with a Gaggia Carezza?

> Which would you choose for this machine in particular and why?

I'd go for the Gaggia MDF, as I've seen it recommended over and over here at
alt. When I got a good grinder with 50 mm burrs, it was the real beginning
of espresso making for me - no more fine powder mixed with the grind, which
over-extracts and makes bitter espresso, and wasted money on beans &
machine.

I sent back a Maestro+ because of low grind quality, have seen reviews
questioning saeco's reliability, and don't know what kind of burrs the
capresso has but haven't seen good reviews on the brand in general. The MDF,
on the other hand, is recommended all the time, has nice 50mm burrs, is
reasonably well built and just plain owns the market for entry level
espresso grinders as far as I can see..

tom

tom b.

> Which would you choose for this machine in particular and why?

I'd go for the Gaggia MDF, as I've seen it recommended over and over here at
alt. When I got a good grinder with 50 mm burrs, it was the real beginning
of espresso making for me - no more fine powder mixed with the grind, which
over-extracts and makes bitter espresso, and wasted money on beans &
machine.

I sent back a Maestro+ because of low grind quality, have seen reviews
questioning saeco's reliability, and don't know what kind of burrs the
capresso has but haven't seen good reviews on the brand in general. The MDF,
on the other hand, is recommended all the time, has nice 50mm burrs, is
reasonably well built and just plain owns the market for entry level
espresso grinders as far as I can see..

tom

HarryM

"Brendan" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all!
>
> I am about to purchase a Gaggia Carezza espresso machine with the
> commercial portafilter basket. I am budget-conscious and need to pair
> it with as low cost as possible but high quality Grinder.
>
> I think I have narrowed it down to the Saeco MC2002, Gagggia MDF,
> Capresso Infinity or Solis Maestro (original). With the MDF obviously
> being the most expensive, I can't just assume that cost=quality. They
> are all close in price point.
>
> Which would you choose for this machine in particular and why?
>
> Thanks!
> Brendan

Among the four you list, there is no question that the Gaggia MDF does the
best job for espresso. If you read the Coffeegeek reviews or this
newsgroup, you will find more recommendations for the Gaggia than for the
other three combined. I have been very happy with mine. It produces a
consistent grind, and has no static problems. I wish there were more metal
and less plastic in the machine, but then it would be priced with the Rocky
or Mazzer Mini -- not at $149. harrym

HarryM

"Brendan" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all!
>
> I am about to purchase a Gaggia Carezza espresso machine with the
> commercial portafilter basket. I am budget-conscious and need to pair
> it with as low cost as possible but high quality Grinder.
>
> I think I have narrowed it down to the Saeco MC2002, Gagggia MDF,
> Capresso Infinity or Solis Maestro (original). With the MDF obviously
> being the most expensive, I can't just assume that cost=quality. They
> are all close in price point.
>
> Which would you choose for this machine in particular and why?
>
> Thanks!
> Brendan

Among the four you list, there is no question that the Gaggia MDF does the
best job for espresso. If you read the Coffeegeek reviews or this
newsgroup, you will find more recommendations for the Gaggia than for the
other three combined. I have been very happy with mine. It produces a
consistent grind, and has no static problems. I wish there were more metal
and less plastic in the machine, but then it would be priced with the Rocky
or Mazzer Mini -- not at $149. harrym

I GOT A BIG PAIR Brooklyn1 General Cooking 2 24-03-2011 11:48 PM
gaggia machines London Chap Coffee 0 25-01-2006 05:18 PM
Gaggia question Judy Konopka Coffee 0 11-10-2005 10:46 AM
gaggia expresso machines Smokeyone Coffee 5 02-11-2004 06:18 PM
What A Pair! PENMART01 General Cooking 0 21-04-2004 06:21 PM