Old 05-01-2004, 04:41 AM
dmreed

Default Love my Buzzroaster (was What roaster to buy?)

thanks for the clarification...glad I am not responsible for a server :)

"Randy Rostie" wrote in message

"dmreed" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
what kind of firewall protection do you have? I have two kinds...a

physical
and a softwa Linksys and Norton Personal Firewall. I have had several
attempts made to get into my PC at home and they were all caught before
getting into my PC.

--
Aché

Dennis M. Reed "Califa" (http://dmreed.com)

A webserver has to keep it's ports open and respond to requests. A

physical
firewall or a well set up professional router (ie. Cisco,) is needed to
properly protect a webserver, a software solution will use too much server
resources or potentially block valid requests. (My previous job was as a
networking engineer.)

Randy R

Old 05-01-2004, 05:13 AM
BuzzRoaster

"dmreed" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
what kind of firewall protection do you have? I have two kinds...a

physical
and a softwa Linksys and Norton Personal Firewall. I have had several
attempts made to get into my PC at home and they were all caught before
getting into my PC.

I recommissioned an old Pentium II I had laying around and built a dedicated
Linux router. It runs a stripped down version of Linux called Smoothwall
(http://www.smoothwall.org) purposefully built to run as a router/firewall.
It basically functions just as the Linksys does but has some added
functionality.

Old 05-01-2004, 08:45 AM
Ed_Vinas

For those of you surfing from one of the blocked IP ranges you might
want to try this:

http://anon.free.anonymizer.com/http...zzroasters.com

Cheers
Ed

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:05:16 GMT, "BuzzRoaster"
wrote:

Hey Guys,

Sorry about the website issues. I'll tell you exactly what the problem is.
I've been having an unbelievable amount of hack attempts on the website
mostly from the Asia Pacific region and interestingly enough Amsterdam.

Normally this would not bother me but I run the web server from my own home
network. Usually I would just setup with a hosting company and let them
worry about the security but I wanted a little more freedom than most hosts
can offer plus it's free. My web server has all the latest patches and
updates but, I thought better to be safe than sorry so I have blocked
certain ranges of IP's in my firewall.

I'll see what I can do about freeing some of those up.

--Terry

"SnakeOil" wrote in message
Hi
Looks like the buzzroaster website is down or my suck ISP cant get it.
Does any of you have any pictures of it? and/or know where I can get one
shipped to australia?
Im waiting for my forst lot of green beans to arive to stick in my popper.
)

Cheers Snake

Old 07-01-2004, 01:50 AM
loring

Dave Vanness wrote in message . 9.81...
(Thomas Reat) wrote in
om:

Is the Alpenrost a good roaster, or is the $250-$300 better spent? Is
the HotTop worth the $600? Is a Zach and Dani's so much worse (at
about $150, though infomercials make me suspicious)? I don't care how
big a batch it makes, but I do want a very good one.

I have used Popperies, whirly-poppers, the Hearthware Gourmet and the
Zach and Dani's. Of those, I liked the Z&D best -- mostly because its
catalytic smoke converter works pretty well for indoor roasting. After
upgrading my espresso machine, I was finding myself going through a lot
of beans -- and the Z&D's volume was just too small.

So, I took the BBQ roaster plunge, and I'm thrilled with the results.
Here's the setup:

1) The 2lb Buzzroaster (
www.buzzroasters.com) drum at $125 is very nice,
2) driven with a Bodine 1/8 hp, 34RPM right-angle gearmotor
(www.surpluscenter.com $60, including shipping); plus about $10 for a
power cord, switch and boxes to hold the switch and starting capacitor;
3) a Kenmore gas grill (33K BTU with cast iron burners -- really nice
quality grill) on sale now for $199 from $349;
4) a $4 4' 1/2 inch cold rolled steel rod for mounting the roasting drum.
The whole unit turns very nicely in the grooves on the sides of the grill
bowl; but you do need to drill a small hole for a setscrew (see power
coupling below) and grind a couple of flat spots where the 2 ends of the
drum are attached to the rod. The Buzzroaster uses compression fittings
to mount to the rod, and they tend to slip on the round rod once heated.
Once I ground flat spots on the rod, I haven't had any slippage since;
5) a $20 3-piece flexible power coupler by Woods (one side is 5/8" with a
keyway for attaching to the motor's shaft, the other side is 1/2" with a
setscrew for attaching to the plain round steel rod, and there's a wide
rubber insert between the two of them, which mate the two ends together
nicely, but allows for minor misalignments that would be a PITA with a 1
piece rigid coupler). You can probably also use a 3 piece Lovejoy claw-
style coupling from surpluscenter.com (same principle -- you choose the
two ends to mate with your motor and the drum-rod, and an insert -- the
lovejoy inserts don't look to be as flexible as the Woods, but would
likely work just fine) total cost about $6 -- order it with your
gearmotor to save shipping $$.

So, the whole deal can be had for about $400 (half that if you already
have a nice gas grill). I love how I can control the roast profile with
the burners -- accelerating through first crack, and stretching out the
time to second crack. I also love the volume (2 lbs fits very easily; I
believe I could stretch to 3 lbs if I had to), and I believe that I am
achieving better body/mouthfeel for my espresso blend and a more defined
caramel-sweetness in my press-pot roasts.

Hi,
Sounds like you found some nice parts to make up your grill roaster.
I mounted the roaster on 1/2" allthread with nuts and washers to stop
the slide issue. I have used mine asbout 10 times now and am very
happy. I changed from a 3 rpm "stock" rotisserie motor to a 13 rmp
motor. I am starting to think 13 or so to be the minimum rpm. With
the 3 rpm motor I would notice a few beans with small burn holes. That
problem is gone and the roasts seem much more even with the 13 rpm
motor. Thanks BuzzRoaster, I like the product.

Loring

Old 07-01-2004, 02:35 AM
BuzzRoaster

"loring" wrote in message
m...

Hi,
Sounds like you found some nice parts to make up your grill roaster.
I mounted the roaster on 1/2" allthread with nuts and washers to stop
the slide issue. I have used mine asbout 10 times now and am very
happy. I changed from a 3 rpm "stock" rotisserie motor to a 13 rmp
motor. I am starting to think 13 or so to be the minimum rpm. With
the 3 rpm motor I would notice a few beans with small burn holes. That
problem is gone and the roasts seem much more even with the 13 rpm
motor. Thanks BuzzRoaster, I like the product.

Loring

Thanks Loring,

I've addressed the issue of the drum rod connectors by fabricating fittings
that bolt to the drum ends from the inside with two lock washers. If you
want to see a few pics I'll post them in alt.binaries.coffee

--Terry