Old 08-11-2003, 01:00 PM
Clark Griswold

Default What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

Afficionados: for the purpose of this post, assume you are not at home, you
traveling in Nowheresville, and don't have access to a good cafe. You want
a good cup of brewed coffee to keep you awake at the wheel.... what is your
favorite mass market coffee?

I like Dunkin Donuts best, but sometimes are hard to find.

I'm not very pleased with 7-11, but maybe if I got a fresh brew I'd change
my mind. 7-11 downfall might be that the pots sit on the burners forever
and a day.

McDonalds gets kudos for high temp, but again, sometimes the brew has been
on the burner too long.

I think Burger King uses coffe concentrate (yuck).

I liked Mister Donut... but believe they are out of business.

My Nasty Coffee Vote: Sonic Drive In.

r,
clark

Old 08-11-2003, 03:07 PM

In alt.coffee Clark Griswold wrote:
Afficionados: for the purpose of this post, assume you are not at home, you
traveling in Nowheresville, and don't have access to a good cafe. You want
a good cup of brewed coffee to keep you awake at the wheel.... what is your
favorite mass market coffee?

I like Dunkin Donuts best, but sometimes are hard to find.

Yep. DD. After that, Green Mountain.

But really, all of it is swill. Just add cream and try not to taste it.
None of it is enjoyable, it is just a drug outside of home.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Old 08-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Stephen Bargdill

"Clark Griswold" wrote in message
Afficionados: for the purpose of this post, assume you are not at home,

you
traveling in Nowheresville, and don't have access to a good cafe. You

want
a good cup of brewed coffee to keep you awake at the wheel.... what is

your
favorite mass market coffee?

My wife prefers Burger King. Most of the Nowheresvilles we visit don't know
what a Dunkin Donuts is.

Lucky Steer is a local chain restaurant that serves a pretty good cup of
plain joe. Otherwise, there is my own coffee pot and Maxwell House. Or
Mountain Dew.

Old 08-11-2003, 03:55 PM
HarryM

"Clark Griswold" wrote in message
Afficionados: for the purpose of this post, assume you are not at home,

you
traveling in Nowheresville, and don't have access to a good cafe. You

want
a good cup of brewed coffee to keep you awake at the wheel.... what is

your
favorite mass market coffee?
clark

I seldom drink coffee away from home, unless I have brewed it myself. In
our area, the LaRue Coffee Service provides good coffee and brewers to
offices and restaurants, but unless they install a water filter, it will be
a scummy mess. My wife had their service at her office and used bottled
water and it was fine. The water is the secret. Without good water, no
mass market coffee will be good. But to answer your question, I drink Coke
to stay awake. Coffee doesn't keep me awake. I drink several cups late at
night and go right to sleep. harrym

Old 08-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Roger Shoaf

I think I would disagree with you about Burger King, while they do use a
liquid concentrate, the taste in the cup is not bad.

Krispy Kream makes a reasonably decent americano.

--
Roger Shoaf

Old 08-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Darryl Rehr

I have new appreciation on the filtered water point.

A few days ago, I stopped using filtered (Brita) water when I had to
dispose of the filter (and haven't had time to replace it).

I surely taste the difference.

As for the best road coffee... Burger King gets my vote. "Yuck" to
conentrated coffee? True, it's a concentrate, but I STILL find it to
be a tasty alternative to just about anything else I can get out in
the "cruel real world." The product... Douwe Egbert's "Cafitesse"
also works great at home, if you can get a commercial coffee
distributor to sell you some (and you can make it stronger than BK
does). However, it is expensive when compared to home roasting green
beans.

DR

Old 08-11-2003, 06:52 PM
DT

1. Starbucks - they are everywhere now so I have to call them mass
produced.
2. Third Cup
3. Tim Horton Donuts
4. McDonalds if desperate

A saw that Dunkin Donuts has been nominated but the last time I was in
Dunkin Donuts it was in FT Lauderdale and the shop was in disgusting
condition and the coffee... I'm not sure what it was but it was not coffee!

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
I think I would disagree with you about Burger King, while they do use a
liquid concentrate, the taste in the cup is not bad.

Krispy Kream makes a reasonably decent americano.

--
Roger Shoaf
If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the

solvent.

Old 09-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Jack Denver

The BK product is not "yuck" - it is probably the most consistently fresh
mass market cup. The concentrate method insures that each cup is freshly
brewed at the time of service. In other places, the coffee sometimes starts
out better, but after sitting on the hot plate for 1/2 hour or more,
fugetttaboutit.

Part of the fun of being a true coffee snob is you can puncture the
pretensions of lesser coffee snobs. Thus, when someone says "robusta - yuck"
you can point out Malabar Gold.