FoodBanter.com

-   Coffee (https://www.foodbanter.com/coffee/)
-   -   What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US? (https://www.foodbanter.com/coffee/25408-what-your-favorite-mass.html)

Clark Griswold 08-11-2003 02:00 PM

What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

Afficionados: for the purpose of this post, assume you are not at home, you
traveling in Nowheresville, and don't have access to a good cafe. You want
a good cup of brewed coffee to keep you awake at the wheel.... what is your
favorite mass market coffee?

I like Dunkin Donuts best, but sometimes are hard to find.

I'm not very pleased with 7-11, but maybe if I got a fresh brew I'd change
my mind. 7-11 downfall might be that the pots sit on the burners forever
and a day.

McDonalds gets kudos for high temp, but again, sometimes the brew has been
on the burner too long.

I think Burger King uses coffe concentrate (yuck).

I liked Mister Donut... but believe they are out of business.

My Nasty Coffee Vote: Sonic Drive In.

r,
clark

[email protected] 08-11-2003 04:07 PM

In alt.coffee Clark Griswold > wrote:
> Afficionados: for the purpose of this post, assume you are not at home, you
> traveling in Nowheresville, and don't have access to a good cafe. You want
> a good cup of brewed coffee to keep you awake at the wheel.... what is your
> favorite mass market coffee?

> I like Dunkin Donuts best, but sometimes are hard to find.

Yep. DD. After that, Green Mountain.

But really, all of it is swill. Just add cream and try not to taste it.
None of it is enjoyable, it is just a drug outside of home.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

[email protected] 08-11-2003 04:07 PM

Stephen Bargdill 08-11-2003 04:20 PM

"Clark Griswold" > wrote in message
> Afficionados: for the purpose of this post, assume you are not at home,

you
> traveling in Nowheresville, and don't have access to a good cafe. You

want
> a good cup of brewed coffee to keep you awake at the wheel.... what is

your
> favorite mass market coffee?

My wife prefers Burger King. Most of the Nowheresvilles we visit don't know
what a Dunkin Donuts is.

Lucky Steer is a local chain restaurant that serves a pretty good cup of
plain joe. Otherwise, there is my own coffee pot and Maxwell House. Or
Mountain Dew. :(

Stephen Bargdill 08-11-2003 04:20 PM

HarryM 08-11-2003 04:55 PM

What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

"Clark Griswold" > wrote in message
> Afficionados: for the purpose of this post, assume you are not at home,

you
> traveling in Nowheresville, and don't have access to a good cafe. You

want
> a good cup of brewed coffee to keep you awake at the wheel.... what is

your
> favorite mass market coffee?
> clark

I seldom drink coffee away from home, unless I have brewed it myself. In
our area, the LaRue Coffee Service provides good coffee and brewers to
offices and restaurants, but unless they install a water filter, it will be
a scummy mess. My wife had their service at her office and used bottled
water and it was fine. The water is the secret. Without good water, no
mass market coffee will be good. But to answer your question, I drink Coke
to stay awake. Coffee doesn't keep me awake. I drink several cups late at
night and go right to sleep. harrym

HarryM 08-11-2003 04:55 PM

Roger Shoaf 08-11-2003 06:03 PM

What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

I think I would disagree with you about Burger King, while they do use a
liquid concentrate, the taste in the cup is not bad.

Krispy Kream makes a reasonably decent americano.

--
Roger Shoaf

Roger Shoaf 08-11-2003 06:03 PM

Darryl Rehr 08-11-2003 07:09 PM

What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

I have new appreciation on the filtered water point.

A few days ago, I stopped using filtered (Brita) water when I had to
dispose of the filter (and haven't had time to replace it).

I surely taste the difference.

As for the best road coffee... Burger King gets my vote. "Yuck" to
conentrated coffee? True, it's a concentrate, but I STILL find it to
be a tasty alternative to just about anything else I can get out in
the "cruel real world." The product... Douwe Egbert's "Cafitesse"
also works great at home, if you can get a commercial coffee
distributor to sell you some (and you can make it stronger than BK
does). However, it is expensive when compared to home roasting green
beans.

DR

DT 08-11-2003 07:52 PM

What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

1. Starbucks - they are everywhere now so I have to call them mass
produced.
2. Third Cup
3. Tim Horton Donuts
4. McDonalds if desperate

A saw that Dunkin Donuts has been nominated but the last time I was in
Dunkin Donuts it was in FT Lauderdale and the shop was in disgusting
condition and the coffee... I'm not sure what it was but it was not coffee!

"Roger Shoaf" > wrote in message
> I think I would disagree with you about Burger King, while they do use a
> liquid concentrate, the taste in the cup is not bad.
>
> Krispy Kream makes a reasonably decent americano.
>
> --
> Roger Shoaf
> If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the

solvent.

DT 08-11-2003 07:52 PM

Jack Denver 09-11-2003 09:13 PM

What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

The BK product is not "yuck" - it is probably the most consistently fresh
mass market cup. The concentrate method insures that each cup is freshly
brewed at the time of service. In other places, the coffee sometimes starts
out better, but after sitting on the hot plate for 1/2 hour or more,
fugetttaboutit.

Part of the fun of being a true coffee snob is you can puncture the
pretensions of lesser coffee snobs. Thus, when someone says "robusta - yuck"
you can point out Malabar Gold.

Jack Denver 09-11-2003 09:13 PM

Scott 10-11-2003 03:24 AM

What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

In article >,
"Jack Denver" > wrote:

> The BK product is not "yuck" - it is probably the most consistently fresh
> mass market cup. The concentrate method insures that each cup is freshly
> brewed at the time of service. In other places, the coffee sometimes starts
> out better, but after sitting on the hot plate for 1/2 hour or more,
> fugetttaboutit.

But what are the effects of creating the concentrate? That is, how is
the concentrate made? If it's boiled down, then I don't think that
subsequent fresh brewing (or, more specifically, dilution and reheating)
is that much of a blessing.

> Part of the fun of being a true coffee snob is you can puncture the
> pretensions of lesser coffee snobs. Thus, when someone says "robusta - yuck"
> you can point out Malabar Gold.

Which, of course, is not 100% robusta, so it doesn't quite dispel the
"yuck" factor of a 100% robusta brew.

please mail OT responses only

Scott 10-11-2003 03:24 AM

Jack Denver 10-11-2003 04:14 AM

What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

I'm not sure if its a cold brew or hot brew process. I know the concentrate
is kept frozen for freshness. I don't think concentrate is ever made by
"boiling down" regular brewed coffee...that would indeed be yucky. Rather
you make a concentrate by brewing an extra strength coffee with less water.
You can remove even more water thru reverse osmosis or vacuum evaporation.
Not only would boiling at atmospheric pressure damage the product but
boiling is an energy inefficient method.Again the extra processing steps add
cost and I would not want to compare it to freshly roasted home roast brewed
in a vac pot, but compared to the typical mass market offering of stale
preground that has been "resting" on a hot plate, it is often better, much
much better. You only have to taste this product to know it does not taste
boiled or reheated. Diluted is another question because Americans do expect
weak coffee, but that could be easily adjusted by adding less water. It's
not a perfect product, but it's not the "instant" product that it appears to
be at first glance.

In effect, straight espresso is a coffee concentrate which can you dilute
with hot water to make brewed strength "Americanos". If you took fresh
espresso, froze it immediately after brewing and used it to make Americanos,
I think the result would not be bad, nor would mixing it with hot water give
it a "reheated" taste.

Jack Denver 10-11-2003 04:14 AM

Scott 10-11-2003 09:44 PM

"Jack Denver" > wrote:

> I'm not sure if its a cold brew or hot brew process. I know the concentrate
> is kept frozen for freshness. I don't think concentrate is ever made by
> "boiling down" regular brewed coffee...that would indeed be yucky. Rather
> you make a concentrate by brewing an extra strength coffee with less water.
> You can remove even more water thru reverse osmosis or vacuum evaporation.
> Not only would boiling at atmospheric pressure damage the product but
> boiling is an energy inefficient method.Again the extra processing steps add
> cost and I would not want to compare it to freshly roasted home roast brewed
> in a vac pot, but compared to the typical mass market offering of stale
> preground that has been "resting" on a hot plate, it is often better, much
> much better. You only have to taste this product to know it does not taste
> boiled or reheated. Diluted is another question because Americans do expect
> weak coffee, but that could be easily adjusted by adding less water. It's
> not a perfect product, but it's not the "instant" product that it appears to
> be at first glance.

If brewed at concentrated strength, doesn't that effect quality--i.e.,
it's being brewed at a less than optimal water:ground coffee ratio?

When I used the term dilution, I wasn't refering to the creation of weak
coffee per se (though I don't doubt it's weaker than what I brew), but
to the dilution of the concentrate with water to a drinkable level.

Can't say that I've been in a Burger King in the last 10-15 years.

> In effect, straight espresso is a coffee concentrate which can you dilute
> with hot water to make brewed strength "Americanos". If you took fresh
> espresso, froze it immediately after brewing and used it to make Americanos,
> I think the result would not be bad, nor would mixing it with hot water give
> it a "reheated" taste.

Is espresso really a concentrate? My understanding was that the chief
difference between it and brewed coffee was not in the comparative
concentration of the dissolved compounds that each share, but in the
emulsified oils that only espresso has (to any signficant degree).

please mail OT responses only

Scott 10-11-2003 09:44 PM

Clark Griswold 11-11-2003 01:17 AM

What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

I'll have to re-visit BK coffee.

Related to coffee concentrate, how do you think this coffee is made:
http://www.keurig.com/two/index.asp

Clark Griswold 11-11-2003 01:17 AM

Jack Denver 11-11-2003 04:20 AM

What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

IIRC, Keurig is not a concentrate system. Instead inside each little K-cup
is a little mini cone filter filled with preground coffee. The brewing
machine pokes a hole at the top thru which hot water is injected and a drain
hole at the bottom that the coffee comes out of. Theoretically the ground
coffee in the cup remains fresh because it is sealed with a plastic cup on
bottom and foil on top - like an oversized version of the cream portion
capsules that you get at diners or a miniature yogurt container Basically a
pod system for brewed coffee, along the same lines as Melitta's new javapod
system, but more oriented to the office setting and more expensive because
the k-caps are fairly elaborately constructed for something that goes in the
trash.

Jack Denver 11-11-2003 04:20 AM

Dee Randall 12-11-2003 11:36 PM

What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

Boy, that's a tough one.
When traveling to CT from Washington DC on I-95, you will find off-ramps
that will include the fast-food restaurants. In some of these complexes,
they will have sort of a wagon that will have coffee that will be up-scale
(up-ed prices also) coffee which will cost a lot in comparison to McDonald's
or Burger King. I've tried them a couple of times, but the coffee is too
"thick" tasting for me. So I stick with McDonald's, although I'd prefer to
have it fresh -- and when they say, I'll make you a fresh pot, I'd prefer to
have a fresh "clean" pot -- but both conditions are just too much to wish
for.

If you include Starbucks in this survey, I'll have to pass. But my husband
will go there. I don't like the atmosphere of Starbucks. I've tried their
other drinks, but have found none to my liking.

Dee

Dee Randall 12-11-2003 11:36 PM

Dee Randall 13-11-2003 05:28 PM

What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

Last night I was listening to Ralley James (sp?) on 1210 Philadelphia and
she was reading the news about a Burger King that I believe was on Highway
90 that personnel (1 or more?) had put some sort of spray chemical on a
policeman's food, there was quite a few incidences of spitting, etc.
I haven't seen it on-line. Would be interesting to read about the case.
Dee

Dee Randall 13-11-2003 05:28 PM