Old 10-11-2003, 02:24 AM
Scott

Default What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

In article ,
"Jack Denver" wrote:

The BK product is not "yuck" - it is probably the most consistently fresh
mass market cup. The concentrate method insures that each cup is freshly
brewed at the time of service. In other places, the coffee sometimes starts
out better, but after sitting on the hot plate for 1/2 hour or more,
fugetttaboutit.

But what are the effects of creating the concentrate? That is, how is
the concentrate made? If it's boiled down, then I don't think that
subsequent fresh brewing (or, more specifically, dilution and reheating)
is that much of a blessing.

Part of the fun of being a true coffee snob is you can puncture the
pretensions of lesser coffee snobs. Thus, when someone says "robusta - yuck"
you can point out Malabar Gold.

Which, of course, is not 100% robusta, so it doesn't quite dispel the
"yuck" factor of a 100% robusta brew.

please mail OT responses only

Old 10-11-2003, 03:14 AM
Jack Denver

I'm not sure if its a cold brew or hot brew process. I know the concentrate
is kept frozen for freshness. I don't think concentrate is ever made by
"boiling down" regular brewed coffee...that would indeed be yucky. Rather
you make a concentrate by brewing an extra strength coffee with less water.
You can remove even more water thru reverse osmosis or vacuum evaporation.
Not only would boiling at atmospheric pressure damage the product but
boiling is an energy inefficient method.Again the extra processing steps add
cost and I would not want to compare it to freshly roasted home roast brewed
in a vac pot, but compared to the typical mass market offering of stale
preground that has been "resting" on a hot plate, it is often better, much
much better. You only have to taste this product to know it does not taste
boiled or reheated. Diluted is another question because Americans do expect
weak coffee, but that could be easily adjusted by adding less water. It's
not a perfect product, but it's not the "instant" product that it appears to
be at first glance.

In effect, straight espresso is a coffee concentrate which can you dilute
with hot water to make brewed strength "Americanos". If you took fresh
espresso, froze it immediately after brewing and used it to make Americanos,
I think the result would not be bad, nor would mixing it with hot water give
it a "reheated" taste.

Old 10-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Scott

In article ,
"Jack Denver" wrote:

[...]

If brewed at concentrated strength, doesn't that effect quality--i.e.,
it's being brewed at a less than optimal water:ground coffee ratio?

When I used the term dilution, I wasn't refering to the creation of weak
coffee per se (though I don't doubt it's weaker than what I brew), but
to the dilution of the concentrate with water to a drinkable level.

Can't say that I've been in a Burger King in the last 10-15 years.

In effect, straight espresso is a coffee concentrate which can you dilute
with hot water to make brewed strength "Americanos". If you took fresh
espresso, froze it immediately after brewing and used it to make Americanos,
I think the result would not be bad, nor would mixing it with hot water give
it a "reheated" taste.

Is espresso really a concentrate? My understanding was that the chief
difference between it and brewed coffee was not in the comparative
concentration of the dissolved compounds that each share, but in the
emulsified oils that only espresso has (to any signficant degree).

please mail OT responses only

Old 11-11-2003, 12:17 AM
Clark Griswold

I'll have to re-visit BK coffee.

Related to coffee concentrate, how do you think this coffee is made:
http://www.keurig.com/two/index.asp

"Jack Denver" wrote in message
The BK product is not "yuck" - it is probably the most consistently fresh
mass market cup. The concentrate method insures that each cup is freshly
brewed at the time of service. In other places, the coffee sometimes

starts
out better, but after sitting on the hot plate for 1/2 hour or more,
fugetttaboutit.

Part of the fun of being a true coffee snob is you can puncture the
pretensions of lesser coffee snobs. Thus, when someone says "robusta -

yuck"
you can point out Malabar Gold.

"Clark Griswold" wrote in message
Afficionados: for the purpose of this post, assume you are not at home,

you
traveling in Nowheresville, and don't have access to a good cafe. You

want
a good cup of brewed coffee to keep you awake at the wheel.... what is

your
favorite mass market coffee?

I like Dunkin Donuts best, but sometimes are hard to find.

I'm not very pleased with 7-11, but maybe if I got a fresh brew I'd

change
my mind. 7-11 downfall might be that the pots sit on the burners

forever
and a day.

McDonalds gets kudos for high temp, but again, sometimes the brew has

been
on the burner too long.

I think Burger King uses coffe concentrate (yuck).

I liked Mister Donut... but believe they are out of business.

My Nasty Coffee Vote: Sonic Drive In.

r,
clark

Old 11-11-2003, 03:20 AM
Jack Denver

IIRC, Keurig is not a concentrate system. Instead inside each little K-cup
is a little mini cone filter filled with preground coffee. The brewing
machine pokes a hole at the top thru which hot water is injected and a drain
hole at the bottom that the coffee comes out of. Theoretically the ground
coffee in the cup remains fresh because it is sealed with a plastic cup on
bottom and foil on top - like an oversized version of the cream portion
capsules that you get at diners or a miniature yogurt container Basically a
pod system for brewed coffee, along the same lines as Melitta's new javapod
system, but more oriented to the office setting and more expensive because
the k-caps are fairly elaborately constructed for something that goes in the
trash.

Old 12-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Dee Randall

Boy, that's a tough one.
When traveling to CT from Washington DC on I-95, you will find off-ramps
that will include the fast-food restaurants. In some of these complexes,
they will have sort of a wagon that will have coffee that will be up-scale
(up-ed prices also) coffee which will cost a lot in comparison to McDonald's
or Burger King. I've tried them a couple of times, but the coffee is too
"thick" tasting for me. So I stick with McDonald's, although I'd prefer to
have it fresh -- and when they say, I'll make you a fresh pot, I'd prefer to
have a fresh "clean" pot -- but both conditions are just too much to wish
for.

If you include Starbucks in this survey, I'll have to pass. But my husband
will go there. I don't like the atmosphere of Starbucks. I've tried their
other drinks, but have found none to my liking.

Dee

Old 13-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Dee Randall

Last night I was listening to Ralley James (sp?) on 1210 Philadelphia and
she was reading the news about a Burger King that I believe was on Highway
90 that personnel (1 or more?) had put some sort of spray chemical on a
policeman's food, there was quite a few incidences of spitting, etc.
I haven't seen it on-line. Would be interesting to read about the case.
Dee