Old 01-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Richard Butler

Default "boston coffee"

Has anyone heard this term for a mixture of half milk, half coffee? My
grandmother, who was born in Mississippi and lived her married life in
Arkansas, served me this when I was a child. I have never met anyone
who knew this term, even people from Boston.

Richard Butler

Old 01-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Steve Ackman

On 1 Nov 2003 07:47:04 -0800, Richard Butler wrote:
Has anyone heard this term for a mixture of half milk, half coffee? My
grandmother, who was born in Mississippi and lived her married life in
Arkansas, served me this when I was a child. I have never met anyone
who knew this term, even people from Boston.

In most of New England, if you just ask for "a coffee"
or "a regular" you get coffee with milk and sugar in it.
I'd bet the term "boston coffee" came out of that practice.

Old 08-11-2003, 01:00 PM
Richard Butler

Steve, a belated "Thank You" for the info!
Richard

Old 08-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Cheryl J

I wonder if what you described is also known as a "flat white"....

Old 08-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Cheryl J

I wonder if what you described is also known as a "flat white"....

Old 07-12-2003, 02:15 AM
Luers

In Spain, we were served "cafe con lecha" which was half hot milk, half hot
coffee. I thought is was great and have made it every once in a while since
(microwave milk first)

Phil