Mark L. Breen

Default Whether to Stir or not

Hello All,

This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's somewhere,
I would appreciate a pointer.

My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better to
stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
coffee.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time

Mark Breen
Ireland

Roger Shoaf

"Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

somewhere,
> I would appreciate a pointer.
>
> My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

> stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
> acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

Not all of the coffee will remain on top, the idea is to have it imersed in
the water.

A burr grinder will allow you to grind the beans just before brewing for
maximum flavor without pulverizing the beans. This is because the coffee
bean acts as a protective layer to retard staling. Once ground you expose a
greater surface area to oxygen and also a lot of the flavorful aromatic
components are lost.

Keep reading this news group and soon you will be roasting your own beans
for maximum freshness.

Welcome to alt.coffee.

--
Roger Shoaf

> Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
> opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
> and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
> coffee.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time
>
> Mark Breen
> Ireland

Roger Shoaf

"Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

somewhere,
> I would appreciate a pointer.
>
> My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

> stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
> acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

Not all of the coffee will remain on top, the idea is to have it imersed in
the water.

A burr grinder will allow you to grind the beans just before brewing for
maximum flavor without pulverizing the beans. This is because the coffee
bean acts as a protective layer to retard staling. Once ground you expose a
greater surface area to oxygen and also a lot of the flavorful aromatic
components are lost.

Keep reading this news group and soon you will be roasting your own beans
for maximum freshness.

Welcome to alt.coffee.

--
Roger Shoaf

> Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
> opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
> and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
> coffee.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time
>
> Mark Breen
> Ireland

Tony Jester

"Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

somewhere,
> I would appreciate a pointer.
>
> My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

> stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
> acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.
>
> Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
> opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
> and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
> coffee.

I think the standard procedure is to NOT stir the coffee at first. Then let
it sit for some certain amount of time. Then DO stir (or swirl the pot).
Then let it sit for some more time. Then press and drink. The wait times
would depend on how fine you grind the coffee, the finer the grind, the less
you let it sit.

For specific instructions on Press Pot brewing, see
http://www.sweetmarias.com/brewinstr.frenchpress.html

You really should grind your own coffee, but you need a burr grinder not a
whirly blade type.

-Tony-

Tony Jester

In alt.coffee Mark L. Breen > wrote:

> My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better to
> stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
> acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

It should not be on top of the water. It should swirl all through the
water.

> Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
> opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
> and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
> coffee.

Buy a decent burr grinder. Look at the Bodum for an inexpensive ne, or
buy one on eBay.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In alt.coffee Mark L. Breen > wrote:

> My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better to
> stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
> acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

It should not be on top of the water. It should swirl all through the
water.

> Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
> opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
> and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
> coffee.

Buy a decent burr grinder. Look at the Bodum for an inexpensive ne, or
buy one on eBay.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Miles

Mark L. Breen wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's somewhere,
> I would appreciate a pointer.
>
> My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better to
> stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
> acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.
>
> Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
> opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
> and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
> coffee.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time
>
> Mark Breen
> Ireland

And the coffee should be ground quite coarse such as an American
perculator grind -- if you have ever seen that garbage. This, of
course, is so it will not pass through the screen.

Miles

Miles

Mark L. Breen wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's somewhere,
> I would appreciate a pointer.
>
> My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better to
> stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
> acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.
>
> Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
> opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
> and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
> coffee.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time
>
> Mark Breen
> Ireland

And the coffee should be ground quite coarse such as an American
perculator grind -- if you have ever seen that garbage. This, of
course, is so it will not pass through the screen.

Miles

Mark L. Breen

Hello to All,

thanks for your advice, that sounds great, I am now off to investigate
roasting my own beans, I love the idea of that,

I wonder will I be able to buy 'non roasted beans in Ireland'

Thanks again

Mark

"Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

somewhere,
> I would appreciate a pointer.
>
> My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

> stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
> acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.
>
> Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
> opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
> and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
> coffee.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time
>
> Mark Breen
> Ireland

Mark L. Breen

Hello to All,

thanks for your advice, that sounds great, I am now off to investigate
roasting my own beans, I love the idea of that,

I wonder will I be able to buy 'non roasted beans in Ireland'

Thanks again

Mark

"Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

somewhere,
> I would appreciate a pointer.
>
> My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

> stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
> acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.
>
> Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
> opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
> and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
> coffee.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time
>
> Mark Breen
> Ireland

Stewart Bryant

..

> > My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland,(so sorry to hear that- my

regrets) and I wonder is it better to
> > stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> > better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee

itself
> > acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> > that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

Maybe you dont like the sediment in the brew.Have you tried a vacuum pot?
They have less sediment and though you still should stir a vac pot brew you
dont have to. Bodum makes a good one, and there are others out there. I
would definately buy a better grinder- Solis Maestro,Bodum Antigua etc.
Roasting your own is the next step up and I am sure you will be pleased with
the results. The learning curve is fast and it is well worth the time and
trouble IMHO.

Bon Chance

Stewart

Stewart Bryant

..

> > My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland,(so sorry to hear that- my

regrets) and I wonder is it better to
> > stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> > better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee

itself
> > acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> > that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

Maybe you dont like the sediment in the brew.Have you tried a vacuum pot?
They have less sediment and though you still should stir a vac pot brew you
dont have to. Bodum makes a good one, and there are others out there. I
would definately buy a better grinder- Solis Maestro,Bodum Antigua etc.
Roasting your own is the next step up and I am sure you will be pleased with
the results. The learning curve is fast and it is well worth the time and
trouble IMHO.

Bon Chance

Stewart

Miles

Mark L. Breen wrote:
> Hello to All,
>
> thanks for your advice, that sounds great, I am now off to investigate
> roasting my own beans, I love the idea of that,
>
> I wonder will I be able to buy 'non roasted beans in Ireland'
>
> Thanks again
>
> Mark
>

> "Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

> somewhere,
>
>>I would appreciate a pointer.
>>
>>My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

>>stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
>>better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
>>acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
>>that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.
>>
>>Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
>>opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
>>and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
>>coffee.
>>
>>All suggestions appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for your time
>>
>>Mark Breen
>>Ireland

Hopefully you will find them. Check the phone book commercial pages for
coffee roasters to see if there is a local small roaster near you that
would sell you a small quantity of beans -- also you will need to
experiment with blending which is three-quarters of the fun.
Miles

Miles

Mark L. Breen wrote:
> Hello to All,
>
> thanks for your advice, that sounds great, I am now off to investigate
> roasting my own beans, I love the idea of that,
>
> I wonder will I be able to buy 'non roasted beans in Ireland'
>
> Thanks again
>
> Mark
>

> "Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

> somewhere,
>
>>I would appreciate a pointer.
>>
>>My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

>>stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
>>better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
>>acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
>>that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.
>>
>>Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
>>opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
>>and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
>>coffee.
>>
>>All suggestions appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for your time
>>
>>Mark Breen
>>Ireland

Hopefully you will find them. Check the phone book commercial pages for
coffee roasters to see if there is a local small roaster near you that
would sell you a small quantity of beans -- also you will need to
experiment with blending which is three-quarters of the fun.
Miles

Ken Wilson

england or ivo van putten in holland will ship if you get desperate.

the uk popcorn roaster (standard trial machine until you get Serious) is the
prima popcorn thing.

that whirly blade grinder you have is good enough for cafeteiere. don't
grind so fine and shake every few seconds - you are aiming for a consistency
between salt and sugar. even the best burr grinders will give fines - try
cutting a a spheroid into equal sized bits. and anyway the (illy?)
microphoto of topquality burr shavings shows more valleys and peaks than the
mountains of mourne

of course a burr grinder is easier and more consistant - the big marks and
spensers have a £20 at the moment.
--
Ken Wilson
Hampshire, UK

"Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
> Hello to All,
>
> thanks for your advice, that sounds great, I am now off to investigate
> roasting my own beans, I love the idea of that,
>
> I wonder will I be able to buy 'non roasted beans in Ireland'
>
> Thanks again
>
> Mark
>

> "Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> >
> > This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

> somewhere,
> > I would appreciate a pointer.
> >
> > My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

> > stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> > better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee

itself
> > acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> > that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.
> >
> > Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
> > opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the

beans
> > and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy

ground
> > coffee.
> >
> > All suggestions appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your time
> >
> > Mark Breen
> > Ireland

Ken Wilson

england or ivo van putten in holland will ship if you get desperate.

the uk popcorn roaster (standard trial machine until you get Serious) is the
prima popcorn thing.

that whirly blade grinder you have is good enough for cafeteiere. don't
grind so fine and shake every few seconds - you are aiming for a consistency
between salt and sugar. even the best burr grinders will give fines - try
cutting a a spheroid into equal sized bits. and anyway the (illy?)
microphoto of topquality burr shavings shows more valleys and peaks than the
mountains of mourne

of course a burr grinder is easier and more consistant - the big marks and
spensers have a £20 at the moment.
--
Ken Wilson
Hampshire, UK

"Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
> Hello to All,
>
> thanks for your advice, that sounds great, I am now off to investigate
> roasting my own beans, I love the idea of that,
>
> I wonder will I be able to buy 'non roasted beans in Ireland'
>
> Thanks again
>
> Mark
>

> "Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> >
> > This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

> somewhere,
> > I would appreciate a pointer.
> >
> > My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

> > stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
> > better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee

itself
> > acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
> > that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.
> >
> > Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
> > opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the

beans
> > and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy

ground
> > coffee.
> >
> > All suggestions appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your time
> >
> > Mark Breen
> > Ireland

Miles

Ken Wilson wrote:
> england or ivo van putten in holland will ship if you get desperate.
>
> the uk popcorn roaster (standard trial machine until you get Serious) is the
> prima popcorn thing.
>
> that whirly blade grinder you have is good enough for cafeteiere. don't
> grind so fine and shake every few seconds - you are aiming for a consistency
> between salt and sugar. even the best burr grinders will give fines - try
> cutting a a spheroid into equal sized bits. and anyway the (illy?)
> microphoto of topquality burr shavings shows more valleys and peaks than the
> mountains of mourne
>
> of course a burr grinder is easier and more consistant - the big marks and
> spensers have a £20 at the moment.
> --
> Ken Wilson
> Hampshire, UK
>

> "Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
>
>>Hello to All,
>>
>>thanks for your advice, that sounds great, I am now off to investigate
>>roasting my own beans, I love the idea of that,
>>
>>I wonder will I be able to buy 'non roasted beans in Ireland'
>>
>>Thanks again
>>
>>Mark
>>

>>"Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello All,
>>>
>>>This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

>>somewhere,
>>
>>>I would appreciate a pointer.
>>>
>>>My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

>>>stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
>>>better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee

> itself
>
>>>acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
>>>that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.
>>>
>>>Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
>>>opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the

> beans
>
>>>and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy

> ground
>
>>>coffee.
>>>
>>>All suggestions appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for your time
>>>
>>>Mark Breen
>>>Ireland

Think you missed that he is using a plunger -- in my terminology a
French press. In that event, the coffee needs to be coarser than your
suggestion in order for it not to pass through the holes in the metal
plate or through the metal spring on it's circumference.
Miles

Miles

Ken Wilson wrote:
> england or ivo van putten in holland will ship if you get desperate.
>
> the uk popcorn roaster (standard trial machine until you get Serious) is the
> prima popcorn thing.
>
> that whirly blade grinder you have is good enough for cafeteiere. don't
> grind so fine and shake every few seconds - you are aiming for a consistency
> between salt and sugar. even the best burr grinders will give fines - try
> cutting a a spheroid into equal sized bits. and anyway the (illy?)
> microphoto of topquality burr shavings shows more valleys and peaks than the
> mountains of mourne
>
> of course a burr grinder is easier and more consistant - the big marks and
> spensers have a £20 at the moment.
> --
> Ken Wilson
> Hampshire, UK
>

> "Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
>
>>Hello to All,
>>
>>thanks for your advice, that sounds great, I am now off to investigate
>>roasting my own beans, I love the idea of that,
>>
>>I wonder will I be able to buy 'non roasted beans in Ireland'
>>
>>Thanks again
>>
>>Mark
>>

>>"Mark L. Breen" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello All,
>>>
>>>This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

>>somewhere,
>>
>>>I would appreciate a pointer.
>>>
>>>My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

>>>stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
>>>better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee

> itself
>
>>>acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
>>>that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.
>>>
>>>Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
>>>opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the

> beans
>
>>>and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy

> ground
>
>>>coffee.
>>>
>>>All suggestions appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for your time
>>>
>>>Mark Breen
>>>Ireland

Think you missed that he is using a plunger -- in my terminology a
French press. In that event, the coffee needs to be coarser than your
suggestion in order for it not to pass through the holes in the metal
plate or through the metal spring on it's circumference.
Miles

Ken Wilson

"Miles"

> Think you missed that he is using a plunger -- in my terminology a
> French press. In that event, the coffee needs to be coarser than your
> suggestion in order for it not to pass through the holes in the metal
> plate or through the metal spring on it's circumference.
> Miles

Hmm. Had me worried and then i checked my cafetieres. The plastic one I
use at work (cleaning staff proof.......) has a plastic seal to scrape down
the side of the container - not the spring type. The holes in the wire mesh
are too small for salt let alone the "between salt and sugar" i suggested.
My work grinder (my old Petra) is set for the grind i suggested.

The bodums i have at home have the spring circumference thing - but again
the mesh are too fine for salt and the mesh scrapes the wall so the spring
is not relevant. The home grinder (the 166/aka *$ barrista etc) is set
slightly coarser presumably becuase i haven't changed it since i last did
napolitain or Cona

The grounds of this size doesn't go through - sludge does but i reckon that
is inevitable and you just don't drink the last dribble.

anyway - the alt.coffee church is broad - the important thing as barry
recently said is to "just drink it".

:-)

ken

Ken Wilson

"Miles"

> Think you missed that he is using a plunger -- in my terminology a
> French press. In that event, the coffee needs to be coarser than your
> suggestion in order for it not to pass through the holes in the metal
> plate or through the metal spring on it's circumference.
> Miles

Hmm. Had me worried and then i checked my cafetieres. The plastic one I
use at work (cleaning staff proof.......) has a plastic seal to scrape down
the side of the container - not the spring type. The holes in the wire mesh
are too small for salt let alone the "between salt and sugar" i suggested.
My work grinder (my old Petra) is set for the grind i suggested.

The bodums i have at home have the spring circumference thing - but again
the mesh are too fine for salt and the mesh scrapes the wall so the spring
is not relevant. The home grinder (the 166/aka *$ barrista etc) is set
slightly coarser presumably becuase i haven't changed it since i last did
napolitain or Cona

The grounds of this size doesn't go through - sludge does but i reckon that
is inevitable and you just don't drink the last dribble.

anyway - the alt.coffee church is broad - the important thing as barry
recently said is to "just drink it".

:-)

ken

Miles

Ken Wilson wrote:

> "Miles"
>

>>Think you missed that he is using a plunger -- in my terminology a
>>French press. In that event, the coffee needs to be coarser than your
>>suggestion in order for it not to pass through the holes in the metal
>>plate or through the metal spring on it's circumference.
>>Miles

> Hmm. Had me worried and then i checked my cafetieres. The plastic one I
> use at work (cleaning staff proof.......) has a plastic seal to scrape down
> the side of the container - not the spring type. The holes in the wire mesh
> are too small for salt let alone the "between salt and sugar" i suggested.
> My work grinder (my old Petra) is set for the grind i suggested.
>
> The bodums i have at home have the spring circumference thing - but again
> the mesh are too fine for salt and the mesh scrapes the wall so the spring
> is not relevant. The home grinder (the 166/aka *$ barrista etc) is set
> slightly coarser presumably becuase i haven't changed it since i last did
> napolitain or Cona
>
> The grounds of this size doesn't go through - sludge does but i reckon that
> is inevitable and you just don't drink the last dribble.
>
> anyway - the alt.coffee church is broad - the important thing as barry
> recently said is to "just drink it".
>
> :-)
>

> ken

Not familiar with the plastic seals, but surprised you find the holes in
the wire mesh are sufficiently fine. Mind you, I also enjoy heavy
bodied coffee (and wine), and if all can settle to the bottom of the
cup, that's great, providing you drink it quickly so that the particles
in the cup do not continue to give up the stuff they should not.

Miles

Miles

Ken Wilson wrote:

> "Miles"
>

>>Think you missed that he is using a plunger -- in my terminology a
>>French press. In that event, the coffee needs to be coarser than your
>>suggestion in order for it not to pass through the holes in the metal
>>plate or through the metal spring on it's circumference.
>>Miles

> Hmm. Had me worried and then i checked my cafetieres. The plastic one I
> use at work (cleaning staff proof.......) has a plastic seal to scrape down
> the side of the container - not the spring type. The holes in the wire mesh
> are too small for salt let alone the "between salt and sugar" i suggested.
> My work grinder (my old Petra) is set for the grind i suggested.
>
> The bodums i have at home have the spring circumference thing - but again
> the mesh are too fine for salt and the mesh scrapes the wall so the spring
> is not relevant. The home grinder (the 166/aka *$ barrista etc) is set
> slightly coarser presumably becuase i haven't changed it since i last did
> napolitain or Cona
>
> The grounds of this size doesn't go through - sludge does but i reckon that
> is inevitable and you just don't drink the last dribble.
>
> anyway - the alt.coffee church is broad - the important thing as barry
> recently said is to "just drink it".
>
> :-)
>

> ken

Not familiar with the plastic seals, but surprised you find the holes in
the wire mesh are sufficiently fine. Mind you, I also enjoy heavy
bodied coffee (and wine), and if all can settle to the bottom of the
cup, that's great, providing you drink it quickly so that the particles
in the cup do not continue to give up the stuff they should not.

Miles

froglamp

<froglamp studying hard...>

Scott > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (froglamp) wrote:
>
> > What is a burr grinder? I have a Braun coffee grinder...

> <http://homepage.mac.com/scott_r/coffeeFAQ.htm#whatkindof>

froglamp

<froglamp studying hard...>