Old 02-10-2003, 10:50 PM
Ken Wilson

Default Whether to Stir or not

england or ivo van putten in holland will ship if you get desperate.

the uk popcorn roaster (standard trial machine until you get Serious) is the
prima popcorn thing.

that whirly blade grinder you have is good enough for cafeteiere. don't
grind so fine and shake every few seconds - you are aiming for a consistency
between salt and sugar. even the best burr grinders will give fines - try
cutting a a spheroid into equal sized bits. and anyway the (illy?)
microphoto of topquality burr shavings shows more valleys and peaks than the
mountains of mourne

of course a burr grinder is easier and more consistant - the big marks and
spensers have a 20 at the moment.
--
Ken Wilson
Hampshire, UK

"Mark L. Breen" wrote in message
Hello to All,

thanks for your advice, that sounds great, I am now off to investigate
roasting my own beans, I love the idea of that,

I wonder will I be able to buy 'non roasted beans in Ireland'

Thanks again

Mark

"Mark L. Breen" wrote in message
Hello All,

This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

somewhere,
I would appreciate a pointer.

My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee

itself
acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the

beans
and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy

ground
coffee.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time

Mark Breen
Ireland

Old 03-10-2003, 04:56 AM
Miles

Ken Wilson wrote:
[...]

Think you missed that he is using a plunger -- in my terminology a
French press. In that event, the coffee needs to be coarser than your
suggestion in order for it not to pass through the holes in the metal
plate or through the metal spring on it's circumference.
Miles

Old 03-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Ken Wilson

"Miles"

Think you missed that he is using a plunger -- in my terminology a
French press. In that event, the coffee needs to be coarser than your
suggestion in order for it not to pass through the holes in the metal
plate or through the metal spring on it's circumference.
Miles

Hmm. Had me worried and then i checked my cafetieres. The plastic one I
use at work (cleaning staff proof.......) has a plastic seal to scrape down
the side of the container - not the spring type. The holes in the wire mesh
are too small for salt let alone the "between salt and sugar" i suggested.
My work grinder (my old Petra) is set for the grind i suggested.

The bodums i have at home have the spring circumference thing - but again
the mesh are too fine for salt and the mesh scrapes the wall so the spring
is not relevant. The home grinder (the 166/aka *$ barrista etc) is set
slightly coarser presumably becuase i haven't changed it since i last did
napolitain or Cona

The grounds of this size doesn't go through - sludge does but i reckon that
is inevitable and you just don't drink the last dribble.

anyway - the alt.coffee church is broad - the important thing as barry
recently said is to "just drink it".

:-)

ken

Old 04-10-2003, 08:36 AM
Miles

Ken Wilson wrote:

"Miles"

[...]

Not familiar with the plastic seals, but surprised you find the holes in
the wire mesh are sufficiently fine. Mind you, I also enjoy heavy
bodied coffee (and wine), and if all can settle to the bottom of the
cup, that's great, providing you drink it quickly so that the particles
in the cup do not continue to give up the stuff they should not.

Miles

Old 30-10-2003, 04:10 AM
froglamp

froglamp studying hard...

Scott wrote in message ...
In article ,
(froglamp) wrote:

What is a burr grinder? I have a Braun coffee grinder...

http://homepage.mac.com/scott_r/coffeeFAQ.htm#whatkindof

Old 30-10-2003, 04:10 AM
froglamp

froglamp studying hard...