Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

Default Topical coffee for skin cancer, green coffee extract to lose weight

Link to article: http://www.greenbean-store.com/Blog/archives/106

Topical coffee for skin cancer, green coffee extract to lose weight
*by Sandy
December 28, 2008
Caffeine for Skin Cancer

Recent studies on laboratory mice are indicating caffeine, when
applied topically to the skin, can prevent the occurrence of skin
cancer caused by UV radiation.

Dr. Conney, Professor of Pharmacology at the University of New Jersey,
and his team conducted clinical trials using a caffeinated lotion on
mice. They also used another active ingredient, EGCG (epigallocatechin
gallate), a natural chemical found in green tea. These research
findings reaffirm the beneficial effects of caffeine in preventing
skin cancer, as shown by other scientific experiments starting the the
1970’s (Scientists Zaidela and Latarjet, 1973 and 1978; Huang, et al,
1997; Lu, et al, 2002). At the time, the hypothesis presented was that
caffeine was slowing down DNA repair after the damage produced by UV
irradiation and, by slowing it down, was allowing the repair to be
more precise, avoiding the mutations that lead to cancer. Caffeine has
also been found to be an effective antioxidant, scavenging OH
radicals, thus producing another mechanism for its anticancer
properties.

These investigators measured how many tumors the mice developed within
the clinical trials. Mice treated with caffeinated lotion developed
44% fewer non-cancerous tumors and 72% fewer cancerous tumors than
those given the inactive treatment. Mice that received the EGCG-filled
lotion had a reduction in their non-cancerous and cancerous tumors of
55% and 65%, respectively.

In addition to these clinical surveys, coffee has been used for
centuries to detoxify and distress. The Japanese soak in large vats of
coffee grounds, expressly for this reason. Coffee scrubs and salts
have been the rage in recent years due to its ability to exfoliate,
soothe, deodorize, and heal. There are coffee aficionados who claim
that rubbing coffee grounds on the scalp will cure dandruff and can
actually regrow hair (although no clinical data has been reported to
prove this). As a matter of fact, creams sold in the US to reduce
cellulite have as their primary ingredient…you guessed it…caffeine.

Of course these test are in mice. Human clinical trials will be next,
but could be years away.
_____________________________
Green Coffee Extract to Lose Weight

There is already a lot of hype about Green Coffee Bean Extract ( aka
GCBE) to lose weight and no doubt it will be popping up on the local
shelves with a lot of claims. You can forget that for now. Probably
another false-hope for chronic dieters.

However there are scientific studies underway that may actually
validate some of the other claims specifically related to the key
component of Green Coffee Beans, CGA.

The Journal of Nutrition released a study in July, 2008 that said the
following:

Chlorogenic acids (CGA) are cinnamic acid derivatives with biological
effects mostly related to their antioxidant and antiinflammatory
activities. Caffeoylquinic acids (CQA) and dicaffeoylquinic acids
(diCQA) are the main CGA found in nature. Because green coffee is a
major source of CGA, it has been used for production of
nutraceuticals….This study shows that the major CGA compounds present
in green coffee are highly absorbed and metabolized in humans.

"Chlorogenic acids, or CGA, are the key. You will read ads for
tablets with GCBE, which is nothing more than a marketing acronym for
Green Coffee Bean Extract and not the scientific name."

Claims are that CGA turns on the body’s natural fat burning ability
while limiting fat absorption (storing of fat). Studies with
volunteers have come to this conclusion but they were not controlled
scientific tests, but rather tests by nutraceutical manufacturers. So
I’d take that with a grain of salt.

However, we do know this: CGA is highly bioavailable ( i.e. easily
absorbed by the body and not just passed in urine and feces) which is
good and we do know it is a powerful antioxidant.

Bottom line: More and more evidence to support more and more claims
that coffee is in fact good for the body whether green or roasted,
regular or decaffeinated. Bottoms up!

*Source: http://www.imunews.com/2008/12/28/yo...zz-12-28-2008/

-LH
www.greenbean-store.com < ------ We have over 100 coffees and teas!
Or see this and other articles like it at our blog:
www.greenbean-store.com/Blog
Experienced Member

Thank you for an informative post. I had no idea you could use coffee on your skin for healing purposes. I do know there have been more updates about coffee being good for your health instead of all the hype about how bad it is. It's good to hear because I love my Hawaiian coffee and drink it everyday. I order pure Kona coffee from https://konaluna.com because it never get stuck with blends. Now I'm considering using coffee on my skin, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBean View Post
Link to article: GreenBean-Store.com Blog » Topical coffee for skin cancer, green coffee extract to lose weight

[...]

*Source: Your Morning Coffee Buzz - I'munews | stuff about stuff we like

-LH
The GreenBean Coffee Espresso & Tea LLC - Coffee and Tea Compendium & Resource ------ We have over 100 coffees and teas!
Or see this and other articles like it at our blog:
GreenBean-Store.com Blog