Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

Default Goffee storage

We just got our first 5 pound bag of Costa Rican coffee beans and are faced
with a storage issue.
We plan to grind 1 pound or less at a time and store the remainder as whole
beans.
What do you coffee guru's use for (roasted) bean storage?

Thanks,

Geezer
New to the world of fresh coffee

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 17:55:23 GMT, "Geezer" >
wrote:

>We just got our first 5 pound bag of Costa Rican coffee beans and are faced
>with a storage issue.
>We plan to grind 1 pound or less at a time and store the remainder as whole
>beans.
>What do you coffee guru's use for (roasted) bean storage?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Geezer
>New to the world of fresh coffee

Freezer in an airtight container.

aloha,
beans
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

wrote:

> >> Freezer in an airtight container.
> >>
> >> aloha,
> >> beans

> >Cea, if one is going to grind only a pot's worth of beans at a time,
> >does one thaw the beans first (a short time, I presume) or just put them
> >from freezer into grinder and go?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >-B

> Hi Barb,
>
> Because coffee has so little moisture- it is reduced to 12% and then
> roasted at 400 something or other, the accepted method in my world,
> is take the beans from the freezer to the grinder, despite the
> condensation on the outside of the bag.

Good to know.
Thanks!

> Happy Holidays Barb.
>
> with aloha,
> Cea

Mele Kalikimaka, Cea. '-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

wrote:

>>> Cea, if one is going to grind only a pot's worth of beans at a time,
>>> does one thaw the beans first (a short time, I presume) or just put them
>> >from freezer into grinder and go?
>>> Thanks,
>>> -B

>> Hi Barb,
>>
>> Because coffee has so little moisture- it is reduced to 12% and then
>> roasted at 400 something or other, the accepted method in my world,
>> is take the beans from the freezer to the grinder, despite the
>> condensation on the outside of the bag.

> Good to know.
> Thanks!
>> Happy Holidays Barb.
>>
>> with aloha,
>> Cea

> Mele Kalikimaka, Cea. '-)

imho
Keep your beans in the freezer if you must but not necessary if you
drink as much coffee as I do :-) A pound barely lasts a week around here.
You should let cold beans warm a bit before grinding and definitely warm
before brewing. You want to be sure to release all the flavour. If the
hot water has to warm cold coffee first, it may not be able to extract
all the flavour - for espresso this is critical.
Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

wrote:

>>> Hi Barb,
>>>
>>> Because coffee has so little moisture- it is reduced to 12% and then
>>> roasted at 400 something or other, the accepted method in my world,
>>> is take the beans from the freezer to the grinder, despite the
>>> condensation on the outside of the bag.

>> Good to know.
>> Thanks!
>>> Happy Holidays Barb.
>>>
>>> with aloha,
>>> Cea

>> Mele Kalikimaka, Cea. '-)

> imho
> Keep your beans in the freezer if you must but not necessary if you drink
> as much coffee as I do :-) A pound barely lasts a week around here.
> You should let cold beans warm a bit before grinding and definitely warm
> before brewing. You want to be sure to release all the flavour. If the
> hot water has to warm cold coffee first, it may not be able to extract all
> the flavour - for espresso this is critical.

Just went out and bought some of those freezer bags with the vacuum pump
and they seem to be working just fine. We now keep the beans in the wine
cabinet.
Nice and cool and dark. We go through a pound in a week as well!

Geezer

Cheap Storage Boxes | Cheap Moving Boxes | Smart Storage Boxes rozy zenstin Cooking Equipment 0 25-10-2010 02:26 PM
The storage of tea Richard Zhang Tea 2 12-04-2010 08:30 AM
Jam storage Outlander-az Preserving 11 09-09-2009 08:43 PM
AGAIN - Storage of Tea hilltop Tea 13 23-06-2007 12:07 PM
Storage [email protected] Wine 1 02-10-2005 10:28 AM