Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

Default static from my grinder

help!

anyone know of a good way to reduce the static electricity that builds
up when i use my electric grinder? i know i really ought to get a
manual, hand grinder, but that's just not an option right now.

so, in the meantime, what can i do so the grounds don't go flying
everywhere when i open the lid?

thanks, and happy new year!
Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

In article -
media.com>, says...

> help!
>
> anyone know of a good way to reduce the static electricity that builds
> up when i use my electric grinder? i know i really ought to get a
> manual, hand grinder, but that's just not an option right now.
>
> so, in the meantime, what can i do so the grounds don't go flying
> everywhere when i open the lid?
>
> thanks, and happy new year!

Static charge is a fact of life in grinding coffee, especially in the
winter months, and especially with a grinder that has a plastic bin for
the grounds.

There is a device, shaped like a pistol, called a "ZeroStat" that, when
you squeeze the trigger, emits a stream of ions that will neutralize
static charge on plastic surfaces. These were sold originally to do
away with the static charge that attracted dust on vinyl LP record
surfaces, but they work just fine for neutralizing charge on coffee
grinders as well, if you have one or can find one.

Some people say that the piezo-electric elements that create a spark in
those butane lighters (e.g., oven, bbq and fireplace lighters) will also
dissipate static charge. You aim the working end of the lighter at the
area affected, and squeeze the trigger a few times. Make sure the thing
is out of butane, or risk melting the plastic and/or re-roasting your
coffee.

I've found that a good whack or two on the outside of the grounds
container with a plastic implement of some kind (e.g., the handle of the
brush I use to clean out the grinder) can also be quite effective at
getting things to settle down.

Moisture also serves to dissipate static charge. You could try wiping
around the lid of the grounds container with a damp paper towel, before
opening it up, to see if that helped.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

All the grinders I know of have static issues. But as the other poster
says, take the grounds container out and knock it against something a
few times, and you should be fine.

Don't know why you would prefer a manual. I don't know of any manuals
that have good quality burrs and make a grind with particles with sizes
as consistent as electric ones can give you. If you do, I'd be
interested to here about it/them.

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

thanks... maybe i just didn't know enough about the phenomenon to ask a
smart question *wink*

i'll try your suggestions...

thanks again!

Coffee grinder Klaus Totem Coffee 4 01-12-2011 10:52 PM
One Grinder or Two? aem General Cooking 34 19-12-2005 09:49 AM
Best One Cup Grinder? Philadelphia Frank Coffee 4 07-03-2005 02:02 AM
Grinder help [email protected] Coffee 13 20-12-2004 05:44 AM
OT - Curious Static tonite SportKite1 General Cooking 2 03-11-2003 05:26 AM