FoodBanter.com

-   Coffee (https://www.foodbanter.com/coffee/)
-   -   Quiet coffee grinder??? (https://www.foodbanter.com/coffee/109843-re-quiet-coffee-grinder.html)

yetanotherBob 15-12-2006 03:51 PM

Quiet coffee grinder???

In article >, Alan
says...
> I got a Bodum burr grinder a couple of years ago, expecting
> it to be quieter than the small "blender" type of grinder.
>
> Boy! Was I wrong about that?
>
> Is there any brand/model of burr grinder that is not only a
> good grinder, but is QUIET??
>
> Thanks for your kind attention,
>
> Alan Moorman

The Capresso Infinity is pretty quiet. It has a geared-down set of
conical burrs that do a nice, even job, although they probably cannot be
set fine enough for a good espresso machine. More ground coffee remains
in the Capresso grinding chamber and exit chute than I would prefer to
see, but on the other hand it's pretty easy to get at those areas to
clean them out. It's probably as good a grinder as you can get for less
than $100.

A couple of weeks ago Amazon had a KitchenAid "Pro" grinder on sale for
$99, as I recall, a good discount. That's also supposed to be a good
grinder, with flat burrs that are billed as adjustable down to standard
espresso grind requirements. I've heard that it's not as quiet as the
Capresso, although it probably beats your Bodum.

If you're just doing drip, the Bodum whirly-blade grinder is the best of
the bunch, imo, producing a consistent, fine grind of about 50g of beans
in about 40 seconds, without too much fuss, noise or cleanup hassle.

Bob

chardinej 15-12-2006 06:09 PM

Quiet coffee grinder???

Of course the Mazzer grinders are very quiet. This is one of many
professional features you get for your money.

John

Kent 04-07-2007 06:58 AM

Quiet coffee grinder???

"chardinej" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Of course the Mazzer grinders are very quiet. This is one of many
> professional features you get for your money.
>
> John
>
> yetanotherBob wrote:
>> In article >, Alan
>> says...
>> > I got a Bodum burr grinder a couple of years ago, expecting
>> > it to be quieter than the small "blender" type of grinder.
>> >
>> > Boy! Was I wrong about that?
>> >
>> > Is there any brand/model of burr grinder that is not only a
>> > good grinder, but is QUIET??
>> >
>> > Thanks for your kind attention,
>> >
>> > Alan Moorman
>> >

>> The Capresso Infinity is pretty quiet. It has a geared-down set of
>> conical burrs that do a nice, even job, although they probably cannot be
>> set fine enough for a good espresso machine. More ground coffee remains
>> in the Capresso grinding chamber and exit chute than I would prefer to
>> see, but on the other hand it's pretty easy to get at those areas to
>> clean them out. It's probably as good a grinder as you can get for less
>> than $100.
>>
>> A couple of weeks ago Amazon had a KitchenAid "Pro" grinder on sale for
>> $99, as I recall, a good discount. That's also supposed to be a good
>> grinder, with flat burrs that are billed as adjustable down to standard
>> espresso grind requirements. I've heard that it's not as quiet as the
>> Capresso, although it probably beats your Bodum.
>>
>> If you're just doing drip, the Bodum whirly-blade grinder is the best of
>> the bunch, imo, producing a consistent, fine grind of about 50g of beans
>> in about 40 seconds, without too much fuss, noise or cleanup hassle.
>>
>> Bob

I got a Kitchenaid "pro grinder" at Costco for $100. It usually sells for
$200. It's a horizontal grinder, though I don't think it's conical[I haven't
looked inside yet]. It's very quiet. It doesn't wake the little woman. It
grinds a very uniform expresso grind. The only possible bitch is that once
you turn it on, you have to manually turn it off. At the same time, it
grinds quickly. After throwing out 4 self destructing grinders, I'm for the
first time in years grinding happily.

Kent