Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

Default hot coffee

I recently purchased a French press unit, which I love. But it's not
insulated, so the coffee cools quickly. Any suggestions? I thought
about a warming plate, but all that seems to be available is mug size.
Haylp!

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

"Chris" > writes:

> I recently purchased a French press unit, which I love. But it's not
> insulated, so the coffee cools quickly. Any suggestions? I thought
> about a warming plate, but all that seems to be available is mug size.

Obvious idea: wrap it in an insulator? A bendy sheet of foam, perhaps?
(Test it with hot water first to make sure it doesn't melt or
something.)

-- Mark
Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

Chris ¼g¹D¡G

> I recently purchased a French press unit, which I love. But it's not
> insulated, so the coffee cools quickly. Any suggestions? I thought
> about a warming plate, but all that seems to be available is mug size.
> Haylp!

well
i would suggest you pour some hot water into your press first to warm
the press
then pour out the hot water just before brewing,that's should be better

you may try use a fast-reacting thermometer to see what's the temp of
the glass, it should be very high, mine is around 50'C
well, you can also see how fast does the temperature of hot water drop
in your press, try to maintain it around 92-94'C in most of the brewing
time

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

"Chris" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I recently purchased a French press unit, which I love. But it's not
> insulated, so the coffee cools quickly. Any suggestions? I thought
> about a warming plate, but all that seems to be available is mug size.
> Haylp!

The Bodum Columbia may do the job :-
http://tinyurl.com/yg4hek
http://tinyurl.com/yd7pwq
Shop around if interested. Seems expensive, but I know someone who broke 2
of the regulation glass types, before buying one.

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

Brilliant! Many thanks.
Bertie Doe wrote:
> "Chris" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I recently purchased a French press unit, which I love. But it's not
> > insulated, so the coffee cools quickly. Any suggestions? I thought
> > about a warming plate, but all that seems to be available is mug size.
> > Haylp!
> >

> The Bodum Columbia may do the job :-
> http://tinyurl.com/yg4hek
> http://tinyurl.com/yd7pwq
> Shop around if interested. Seems expensive, but I know someone who broke 2
> of the regulation glass types, before buying one.
>
> Bertie

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

Your best bet is to pour the coffee out of the press into a thermos
right after brewing. Even after you push down the filter screen, the
coffee is still in contact with the grounds at the bottom and will
continue to extract. Eventually, it may get bitter. Pouring it into
an insulated thermos will keep it hot for quite some time and will
prevent any bitterness.

Of course, the solution in our office is just to drink it faster ;-)

Alex

============================
"Join the quest for better office coffee"
http://www.cubiclecoffee.com

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I recently purchased a French press unit, which I love. But it's not
insulated, so the coffee cools quickly. Any suggestions? I thought
about a warming plate, but all that seems to be available is mug size.
Haylp!
I know some coffee lovers who would be thrilled with that gift! Especially if there’s something a little bit special about the beans (organic / imported / exotic in some other way… but not flavoured if they’re coffee snobs).