Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

Default Nice machine

My trusty old Braun KF187B died a couple of weeks ago so I set about
looking for a replacement. My initial tendency was to order another
Braun model since I've had good luck with them in the past.

However, I decided I wanted a machine with a stainless steel caraffe
rather than a glass pot with a warming plate, and that narrowed list
produced fewer candidates, none of them from Braun.

I settled on a Zojiruchi EC-BD15 and I am very pleased with it. The
coffee it produces is full-bodied and aromatic without a hint of any
bitterness or an oily texture. I assume that's due to optimal water
temperature, but I haven't measured it.

The shower style head does a good job of involving all of the ground
coffee in the basket, which is a bit oddly shaped but accepts the #4
filters I use if I fold the bottoms a bit more than usual.

I like my coffee hot and the caraffe keeps it that way for more than
enough time for me to finish a batch. It's nice to be able to bring
it to my desk so I don't have to keep going downstairs for a refill.

It's also a very handsome machine with a graceful black pedestal set
off by the stainless basket liner and caraffe. It is fully program-
able for those who like to set things up the evening before.

I'd never heard of the make (and don't even know how to pronounce it
properly), but this is a very nice machine. Highly recommended!