Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Default molded chocolates

Hi all,

I am going to try to do molded, filled chocolates for the first time.
I have made truffles for years, but wanted to try something new.

I'm going to use some Callebaut dark & bitter 60.3% chocolate that I
have for the shells. I bought 2 inexpensive molds to play around with.
Any tips for using that particular chocolate for the shells?

I also need some help with the fillings. I want to start with a soft
center that I can flavor as I please. Something about the consistency
of a "butter cream" that you'd buy at a candy store.

Does anyone have a basic recipe they could share? Again, this is my
first try and I'd like to make a batch of basic filling, then divided
it into 3 or 4 parts and do different flavors to test the results.

Thanks,

Debra
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

at Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:18:08 GMT in <kt9su1t9qeclojjjs3g3o34uvlv9fm7vs2@
4ax.com>, (Debra Fritz) wrote :

>Hi all,
>
>I am going to try to do molded, filled chocolates for the first time.
>I have made truffles for years, but wanted to try something new.
>
>I'm going to use some Callebaut dark & bitter 60.3% chocolate that I
>have for the shells. I bought 2 inexpensive molds to play around with.
>Any tips for using that particular chocolate for the shells?

Callebaut 6040 - which is I believe what you've got, is excellent for
moulding. But you do need to temper it. I've posted many times the
instructions for chocolate tempering so it should be easy enough to look it
up on DejaNews.

It's best to fill shells with multiple, thin coatings instead of trying to
get all the chocolate for the shells in at once. 6040 is pretty low
viscosity, and as with any low-viscosity couverture, if you put too much in
a shell at any one time, the excess will pool down at the bottom. Result:
very thick top, very thin sidewalls. Also, you will need to temper each
batch for each coating separately. Tempered chocolate solidifies fast, so
work quickly.

Be sure to tap and shake your moulds carefully with each pass, to get rid
of any bubbles and make sure the chocolate fills all the crevices. This is
particularly critical on the first pass.

For the bottom, there are 2 possible approaches:

Either you can make a template of the bottom, pour a thin sheet of
couverture, and cut to the template, then, once the bottom is solid, *very
carefully* warm the edges of the chocolate shell and press lightly
together.

Or you can pour over tempered chocolate directly onto the filled shells.

The first way does leave a noticeable seam but tends to yield a better
temper and doesn't risk slightly melting the filling.

The second way gives you a seamless chocolate - very pretty - but it can
start to melt the filling, not to mention the sidewalls.

Whichever method you use, chilling the centres is a good precaution.
However, beware of condensation when you do this.

>I also need some help with the fillings. I want to start with a soft
>center that I can flavor as I please. Something about the consistency
>of a "butter cream" that you'd buy at a candy store.

The classic filling base is ganache. The standard firm ganache is simply
hot cream mixed with grated chocolate at a ratio of 1 part cream to 2 parts
chocolate. You can go softer by upping the cream amount - 2:3 will be
considerably softer, almost like peanut butter, and 1:1 is very soft -
enough that it will need to be piped in with a pastry bag. I've also
written numerous times on the subject of ganache, look up under both this
word and truffles. Not so long ago there was also a good discussion as to
how to flavour it with various ingredients - different items call for
different tactics.

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:18:08 GMT in <kt9su1t9qeclojjjs3g3o34uvlv9fm7vs2@
> 4ax.com>, (Debra Fritz) wrote :
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am going to try to do molded, filled chocolates for the first time.
>>I have made truffles for years, but wanted to try something new.
>>
>>I'm going to use some Callebaut dark & bitter 60.3% chocolate that I
>>have for the shells. I bought 2 inexpensive molds to play around with.
>>Any tips for using that particular chocolate for the shells?

> Callebaut 6040 - which is I believe what you've got, is excellent for
> moulding. But you do need to temper it. I've posted many times the
> instructions for chocolate tempering so it should be easy enough to look
> it
> up on DejaNews.
>
> It's best to fill shells with multiple, thin coatings instead of trying to
> get all the chocolate for the shells in at once.

I don't think this is necessary, or even desirable, unless the chocolate you
are working with is over-thinned. If you set the mold upside down on some
kind of support such as chopsticks after filling it, tapping/shaking it,
dumping it, and scraping the excess, nothing will pool at the bottom. When
the chocolate is setting but still soft--this usually takes only a minute or
two--turn the mold over and scrape off the excess neatly with a bench
scraper. You should achieve a proper coat that is even.

> Either you can make a template of the bottom, pour a thin sheet of
> couverture, and cut to the template, then, once the bottom is solid, *very
> carefully* warm the edges of the chocolate shell and press lightly
> together.
>
> Or you can pour over tempered chocolate directly onto the filled shells.
>
> The first way does leave a noticeable seam but tends to yield a better
> temper and doesn't risk slightly melting the filling.
>
> The second way gives you a seamless chocolate - very pretty - but it can
> start to melt the filling, not to mention the sidewalls.

The second method is what I use--I'd never heard of the first--and I've
never melted the sidewalls or the filling. The chocolate for the bottoms
need only be at about 86F. A more likely source of melting is filling the
shells when the ganache is too warm. Make sure it is under 85F.

> Whichever method you use, chilling the centres is a good precaution.
> However, beware of condensation when you do this.

I prefer to let them set up in a cool, but not chilled, environment for that
reason. Making chocolates by hand is a multi-step process that takes some
time, and trying to rush it usually causes problems, in my experience.

>>I also need some help with the fillings. I want to start with a soft
>>center that I can flavor as I please. Something about the consistency
>>of a "butter cream" that you'd buy at a candy store.

> The classic filling base is ganache. The standard firm ganache is simply
> hot cream mixed with grated chocolate at a ratio of 1 part cream to 2
> parts
> chocolate. You can go softer by upping the cream amount - 2:3 will be
> considerably softer, almost like peanut butter, and 1:1 is very soft -
> enough that it will need to be piped in with a pastry bag. I've also
> written numerous times on the subject of ganache, look up under both this
> word and truffles. Not so long ago there was also a good discussion as to
> how to flavour it with various ingredients - different items call for
> different tactics.
>
> --
> Alex Rast
>

> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 01:05:14 -0000,
(Alex Rast) wrote:

>The classic filling base is ganache. The standard firm ganache is simply
>hot cream mixed with grated chocolate at a ratio of 1 part cream to 2 parts
>chocolate. You can go softer by upping the cream amount - 2:3 will be
>considerably softer, almost like peanut butter, and 1:1 is very soft -
>enough that it will need to be piped in with a pastry bag. I've also
>written numerous times on the subject of ganache, look up under both this
>word and truffles. Not so long ago there was also a good discussion as to
>how to flavour it with various ingredients - different items call for
>different tactics.

This is where I'm getting a little confused. I use ganache for my
truffles and understand how to control the consistency and how to use
various things to flavor it...but is that what I should use for these?

My goal is to get the basic filling that is akin to the "butter cream"
filling used in the better commercial candies. That soft, creamy
center....that is then colored/flavored. And, I want it white so I
can color it using some flavoring agents.... Like the raspberry creams
that are pink and the orange creams that are orange...

Yes, I will do some fillings using a chocolate center with flavorings,
but I want that basic white filling and I'm wondering if that is a
ganache....or some variation of ganache.

A friend and I were just talking about using ganache, but putting that
into my mixer and beating it for a while (after it's cooled and
flavored) to "lighten" the texture. Will that work?

Thank you so much for your help....

Debra
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:38:13 GMT, "Janet Puistonen"
> wrote:

>I don't think this is necessary, or even desirable, unless the chocolate you
>are working with is over-thinned. If you set the mold upside down on some
>kind of support such as chopsticks after filling it, tapping/shaking it,
>dumping it, and scraping the excess, nothing will pool at the bottom. When
>the chocolate is setting but still soft--this usually takes only a minute or
>two--turn the mold over and scrape off the excess neatly with a bench
>scraper. You should achieve a proper coat that is even.

That's what I am going to do. I think trying to use multiple thin
coats is going to lead me to disaster! This is my first time trying to
use a mold, and your method sounds like it will work best for me.

>The second method is what I use--I'd never heard of the first--and I've
>never melted the sidewalls or the filling. The chocolate for the bottoms
>need only be at about 86F. A more likely source of melting is filling the
>shells when the ganache is too warm. Make sure it is under 85F.

I'm going to chill the ganache/filling before filling the shells at
room temp overnight...which will also take care of potential
condensation problems...and I will be careful about the temp of the
chocolate... Should it also be at 86F for the initial filling of the
molds?

I'm still looking for a basic "white butter cream" filling that I can
play with for color/flavor, if you happen to know of one, other than
ganache.

Thank you for all your help.

Debra

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Debra Fritz wrote:
> I'm going to chill the ganache/filling before filling the shells at
> room temp overnight...which will also take care of potential
> condensation problems...and I will be careful about the temp of the
> chocolate... Should it also be at 86F for the initial filling of the
> molds?

I think you are going to have a problem here. It is this: in order to fill
the shells smoothly, the filling must be sufficiently runny to smooth out to
some degree, either on its own, or with the help of some moderate sideways
shaking or table tapping by you. It should then firm up sufficiently to
allow you to cover the back. If you let the filling sit overnight or chill
it before putting it in the shells, you will have to melt it all over again
in order to achieve a state that is liquid enough to fill the shells. So
what you want to do is make the filling, keep an eye on it until it cools
sufficiently (ie, under the melting point of chocolate) and then immediately
fill the shells. The easiest way is generally to us a disposable plastic
icing cone.

The chocolate should be within the working temperature specified for it.
With my equipment, though, I generally find that keeping it at the lowest
end of that range works best. When I was hand tempering, that was not
generally the case. You'll find what works best by trial and error.

By the way, I though I had posted something earlier, but it never appeared.
In it, I said that the cheap, bendable molds were much harder to work with
than the more expensive rigid professional molds. If you really get into
this, you might want to spring for a couple of good molds. you can get them
on the web at Chocolat-Chocolat and JB Prince, amongst other places.
(Zillions of sites carry the cheap molds, which are usually used by people
who use candy melts to make their "chocolates.")

> I'm still looking for a basic "white butter cream" filling that I can
> play with for color/flavor, if you happen to know of one, other than
> ganache.
>
> Thank you for all your help.
>
> Debra

I don't use that kind of filling, but you can find the ingredients for it,
and probably recipes, at www.sugarcraft.com.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Debra Fritz wrote:

> My goal is to get the basic filling that is akin to the "butter cream"
> filling used in the better commercial candies. That soft, creamy
> center....that is then colored/flavored. And, I want it white so I
> can color it using some flavoring agents.... Like the raspberry creams
> that are pink and the orange creams that are orange...
>
> Yes, I will do some fillings using a chocolate center with flavorings,
> but I want that basic white filling and I'm wondering if that is a
> ganache....or some variation of ganache.

No, it is based on fondant. Try Sugarcraft.

> A friend and I were just talking about using ganache, but putting that
> into my mixer and beating it for a while (after it's cooled and
> flavored) to "lighten" the texture. Will that work?

No--it will be too thick to fill the shells evenly. To fill shells, you want
it to be more liquid, not light and stiff. The style of filling you are
talking about is made of fondant, often with added condensed milk and
flavorings of various sorts. (There are some recipes out there that use
fondant and white chocolate or egg. I've never used them, either.)

> Thank you so much for your help....
>
> Debra

Have fun!

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

at Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:38:13 GMT in <FDIHf.960$g9.29@trndny07>,
(Janet Puistonen) wrote :

>"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
.. .
>> at Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:18:08 GMT in
>> <kt9su1t9qeclojjjs3g3o34uvlv9fm7vs2@ 4ax.com>,

>> (Debra Fritz) wrote :
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I am going to try to do molded, filled chocolates for the first time.
>>>I have made truffles for years, but wanted to try something new.

>> It's best to fill shells with multiple, thin coatings instead of
>> trying to get all the chocolate for the shells in at once.

>I don't think this is necessary, or even desirable, unless the chocolate
>you are working with is over-thinned. If you set the mold upside down on
>some kind of support such as chopsticks after filling it,
>tapping/shaking it, dumping it, and scraping the excess, nothing will
>pool at the bottom.

Nifty idea. I'd never thought of that one. However, it seems to me that if
you're doing that, your shells are really quite thin. My personal
preference is for shells that are sufficiently thick that you actually have
some bite to them. This is unlike the situation for the classic dipped
truffle where a thin shell, if indeed, anything at all, is IMHO better, but
for a moulded piece, my style has always been that it should lean heavily
towards the shell in terms of amounts.

I'm curious - what chocolate do you usually work with? I tend to be using
fairly fluid high-cocoa-butter formulations - generally in the 40% cocoa
butter range.

> When the chocolate is setting but still soft--this
>usually takes only a minute or two--turn the mold over and scrape off
>the excess neatly with a bench scraper. You should achieve a proper coat
>that is even.
>
>> Whichever method you use, chilling the centres is a good precaution.
>> However, beware of condensation when you do this.

>I prefer to let them set up in a cool, but not chilled, environment for
>that reason. Making chocolates by hand is a multi-step process that
>takes some time, and trying to rush it usually causes problems, in my
>experience.

One thing I wish is that someone would make a controlled-temperature
chiller for storage and creation of chocolate and chocolates in small
volumes. Something about the size of a half fridge should do it. As it is,
however, at least in a home setting generally the only practicable cool
environment when the weather is warm is the fridge.

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

at Mon, 13 Feb 2006 04:58:07 GMT in <zlUHf.3600$Nj7.366@trndny09>,
(Janet Puistonen) wrote :

>Debra Fritz wrote:
>> I'm going to chill the ganache/filling before filling the shells at
>> room temp overnight...which will also take care of potential
>> condensation problems...and I will be careful about the temp of the
>> chocolate... Should it also be at 86F for the initial filling of the
>> molds?

>I think you are going to have a problem here. It is this: in order to
>fill the shells smoothly, the filling must be sufficiently runny to
>smooth out to some degree, either on its own, or with the help of some
>moderate sideways shaking or table tapping by you. It should then firm
>up sufficiently to allow you to cover the back. If you let the filling
>sit overnight or chill it before putting it in the shells, you will have
>to melt it all over again in order to achieve a state that is liquid
>enough to fill the shells.

Which, furthermore, would risk breaking the ganache - indeed, it probably
would unless you were very careful with temperature control. I did mention
chilling the centres earlier - just to clarify, this means after you've
filled the shells and before you put on the bottom.

>> I'm still looking for a basic "white butter cream" filling that I can
>> play with for color/flavor, if you happen to know of one, other than
>> ganache.

A white chocolate ganache is a good neutral base, if that's what you're
looking for. Note that with white chocolate the cream should be slightly
cooler than with dark chocolate - definitely keep it below bubbling, even
slightly.

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

>>> I'm still looking for a basic "white butter cream" filling that I
>>> can play with for color/flavor, if you happen to know of one, other
>>> than ganache.

> A white chocolate ganache is a good neutral base, if that's what
> you're looking for. Note that with white chocolate the cream should
> be slightly cooler than with dark chocolate - definitely keep it
> below bubbling, even slightly.

I'm interested in how you would make a white chocolate ganache. I have tried
several different approaches, but always find the texture not what I would
wish.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Alex Rast wrote:
>> I don't think this is necessary, or even desirable, unless the
>> chocolate you are working with is over-thinned. If you set the mold
>> upside down on some kind of support such as chopsticks after filling
>> it, tapping/shaking it, dumping it, and scraping the excess, nothing
>> will pool at the bottom.

> Nifty idea. I'd never thought of that one. However, it seems to me
> that if you're doing that, your shells are really quite thin. My
> personal preference is for shells that are sufficiently thick that
> you actually have some bite to them. This is unlike the situation for
> the classic dipped truffle where a thin shell, if indeed, anything at
> all, is IMHO better, but for a moulded piece, my style has always
> been that it should lean heavily towards the shell in terms of
> amounts.

Yes, my shells are definitely thinner than yours in that case.

> I'm curious - what chocolate do you usually work with? I tend to be
> using fairly fluid high-cocoa-butter formulations - generally in the
> 40% cocoa butter range.

For shells that will be filled, I use El Rey Mijao almost exclusively. It's
a 61%. I occasionally use their milk (Caoba) and white (Icoa) for shells,
mostly around Easter. I do find that one coat of the white tends to be
marginal in terms of thickness. If for no other reason, simply because dark
fillings tend to show through.

The one preparation where I always do at least two coats--often three--is
bonbonnieres. I make a heart for Valentine's Day, and an egg at Easter. I
find that those require a buildup of layers in order to achieve a strong
shell, especially at the edge.

>> When the chocolate is setting but still soft--this
>> usually takes only a minute or two--turn the mold over and scrape off
>> the excess neatly with a bench scraper. You should achieve a proper
>> coat that is even.
>>
>>> Whichever method you use, chilling the centres is a good precaution.
>>> However, beware of condensation when you do this.

>> I prefer to let them set up in a cool, but not chilled, environment
>> for that reason. Making chocolates by hand is a multi-step process
>> that takes some time, and trying to rush it usually causes problems,
>> in my experience.

> One thing I wish is that someone would make a controlled-temperature
> chiller for storage and creation of chocolate and chocolates in small
> volumes. Something about the size of a half fridge should do it. As
> it is, however, at least in a home setting generally the only
> practicable cool environment when the weather is warm is the fridge.

I heartily second that. I have one room that can be air conditioned, and
that is what I use when it is warm. And of course air conditioning helps
with the humidity also. Last summer, I found that a/c plus a fan directed at
the cooling truffles gave good results. I've looked into cooling cabinets,
but they are a pricey proposition.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

at Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:01:51 GMT in <P32If.1402$U2.280@trndny08>,
(Janet Puistonen) wrote :

>Alex Rast wrote:

>Yes, my shells are definitely thinner than yours in that case.
>
>> I'm curious - what chocolate do you usually work with? I tend to be
>> using fairly fluid high-cocoa-butter formulations - generally in the
>> 40% cocoa butter range.

>For shells that will be filled, I use El Rey Mijao almost exclusively.
>It's a 61%.

38.92 % cocoa butter. A little less than what I usually use, although Mijao
is definitely designed for fluidity.

>The one preparation where I always do at least two coats--often
>three--is bonbonnieres. I make a heart for Valentine's Day, and an egg
>at Easter. I find that those require a buildup of layers in order to
>achieve a strong shell, especially at the edge.

Especially with the bigger pieces, whose weight can in fact collapse a
shell that's too thin.

>> A white chocolate ganache is a good neutral base, if that's what
>> you're looking for.

>I'm interested in how you would make a white chocolate ganache. I have
>tried several different approaches, but always find the texture not what
>I would wish.

I use the same approach I use for dark ganache. I grate the chocolate with
a box grater, heat the cream, and pour the hot cream over the grated
chocolate. With white chocolate the cream should be really quite cool, in
relative terms. That's what I've found is critical - if you heat it up to
the high temperatures you might use with a dark chocolate, the ganache
immediately becomes grainy.

Are you melting the chocolate before adding the cream? This is the biggest
mistake. If dark chocolate is already sensitive with this technique, white
chocolate just won't work.

Chopping the chocolate also doesn't work very well, because you can't get a
good fine particle size, and with the cream being only moderately hot, it
can't melt through the chocolate.

I use very heavy cream - 43%+ milkfat. I fold the cream into the chocolate
pretty carefully, using the minimum number of strokes and a very gentle
movement. Like you I use El Rey Icoa (really, is there any other white
chocolate to use?)

There's a certain minimum amount you have to make in order for the white
chocolate ganache to work well. I've found that 1 kg (2/3 kg chocolate, 1/3
kg cream), is about the minimum. Not that this is that big of an amount,
though. One final "trick" - if you want to make a white chocolate truffle
that's like the classic dark chocolate truffle - ganache coated with cocoa,
no shell, you can use non-instant powdered milk for the coating. Works
great.

One of my favourite uses for white chocolate ganache is as a filling for
Oreo-style cookies. With a good cocoa biscuit recipe, it just blows away
the standard Oreo.

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Alex Rast wrote:
<snip>

>> I'm interested in how you would make a white chocolate ganache. I
>> have tried several different approaches, but always find the texture
>> not what I would wish.

> I use the same approach I use for dark ganache. I grate the chocolate
> with a box grater, heat the cream, and pour the hot cream over the
> grated chocolate. With white chocolate the cream should be really
> quite cool, in relative terms. That's what I've found is critical -
> if you heat it up to the high temperatures you might use with a dark
> chocolate, the ganache immediately becomes grainy.

Do you bring the cream to a boil and let it cool, or not boil it at all? Do
you have any idea what temperature the cream is when you combine it with the
chocolate? And have you experimented with adding other flavorings? I
originally wanted a key lime ganache that would resemble key lime pie
filling in flavor, with the white chocolate standing in for the condensed
milk. (I started with a truffle ganache, then moved to a filling ganache
because the texture wasn't good enough. I've now stopped making that also
because I just wasn't happy with the flavor and texture, although other
people liked it.) I've thought about infusing the cream with lime peel and
adding lime oil instead of using the juice, in order to avoid cutting the
fat content of the liquid.

> Are you melting the chocolate before adding the cream? This is the
> biggest mistake. If dark chocolate is already sensitive with this
> technique, white chocolate just won't work.

I tried it once, having seen it recommended somewhere. I don't recall
precisely what the results were, but obviously I wasn't impressed, since I
didn't do it again! <G>

> Chopping the chocolate also doesn't work very well, because you can't
> get a good fine particle size, and with the cream being only
> moderately hot, it can't melt through the chocolate.

In the food processor you can get it to almost a powder, but it certainly
wouldn't compare to grating. Unfortunately, I only have discos on hand.
Maybe I'll buy a block and give it a try.

> I use very heavy cream - 43%+ milkfat.

I think I'll try either reducing the cream I usually use or adding butter.
RLB does the latter to achieve a heavier cream in The Cake Bible.

> I fold the cream into the
> chocolate pretty carefully, using the minimum number of strokes and a
> very gentle movement. Like you I use El Rey Icoa (really, is there
> any other white chocolate to use?)

There's certainly nothing like Icoa. I actually refer to it as "ivory"
rather than white in my descriptions. Many people have a prejudice against
white chocolate. I like it, but I don't think of it as "chocolate"
precisely. It can add a delightfully creamy note to confections if used
judiciously.

> There's a certain minimum amount you have to make in order for the
> white chocolate ganache to work well. I've found that 1 kg (2/3 kg
> chocolate, 1/3 kg cream), is about the minimum. Not that this is that
> big of an amount, though. One final "trick" - if you want to make a
> white chocolate truffle that's like the classic dark chocolate
> truffle - ganache coated with cocoa, no shell, you can use
> non-instant powdered milk for the coating. Works great.
>
> One of my favourite uses for white chocolate ganache is as a filling
> for Oreo-style cookies. With a good cocoa biscuit recipe, it just
> blows away the standard Oreo.

Whoa--that sounds fabulous! I use a much lighter white chocolate
ganache--more like a whipped cream--as a filling for a black and white
chocolate mousse cake. It has the advantage of being very stable, and won't
"water out." It can also make a delicious charlotte, with layers of dark
chocolate ganache and raspberry sauce on the side

Thanks for the information. I really would like to have a white truffle with
a good texture.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Alex Rast wrote:

> One thing I wish is that someone would make a controlled-temperature
> chiller for storage and creation of chocolate and chocolates in small
> volumes. Something about the size of a half fridge should do it.

That sounds just like a wine refrigerator.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-wine-refrigerator.htm

Is 55F too cool? Too warm?
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Alex Rast wrote:
>>
>> One thing I wish is that someone would make a controlled-temperature
>> chiller for storage and creation of chocolate and chocolates in small
>> volumes. Something about the size of a half fridge should do it.

> That sounds just like a wine refrigerator.
>
> http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-wine-refrigerator.htm
>
> Is 55F too cool? Too warm?

It sounds about right, but it also ideally has very low humidity and some
airflow.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

>Don't waste your money using Callebaut as a shell. Use a product
>called Melt n' Mold for your shell. Save the good stuff (Callebaut)
>for other uses. Melt 'N Mold works great and is very cheap. I have a
>question..

It should be cheap...
..Its a compoud coating, and not a real chocolate...just sugar Cocoa
powder, cocoa butter replacer( lecithn , antibloom agents and
flavor),...
It cannot compare with the quality of real chocolates...
However it depends also upon your market.....If your clients are used
to cheapo chocolates they will not mind the imitation chocolates nor
even know if they are eating the real thing....

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

at Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:08:02 GMT in <S7oIf.8387$C02.5096@trndny02>,
(Janet Puistonen) wrote :

>Alex Rast wrote:
><snip>
>
>>> I'm interested in how you would make a white chocolate ganache. I
>>> have tried several different approaches, but always find the texture
>>> not what I would wish.

>> I use the same approach I use for dark ganache. I grate the chocolate
>> with a box grater, heat the cream, and pour the hot cream over the
>> grated chocolate. With white chocolate the cream should be really
>> quite cool, in relative terms....

>Do you bring the cream to a boil and let it cool, or not boil it at all?

I don't let it boil at all.

> Do you have any idea what temperature the cream is when you combine it
>with the chocolate?

It's in the range of 75-85C/167-185F. I don't get too obsessed over *exact*
temperature but I've always kept it short of bubbling.

> And have you experimented with adding other
>flavorings?

A few, mostly mild, subtle flavourings.

> I originally wanted a key lime ganache that would resemble
>key lime pie filling in flavor, with the white chocolate standing in for
>the condensed milk. (I started with a truffle ganache, then moved to a
>filling ganache because the texture wasn't good enough. I've now stopped
>making that also because I just wasn't happy with the flavor and
>texture, although other people liked it.) I've thought about infusing
>the cream with lime peel and adding lime oil instead of using the juice,
>in order to avoid cutting the fat content of the liquid.

I would *definitely* infuse with lime peel. The acidity would certainly
interfere with the texture of the ganache. That's the real problem about
using lime and/or lemon juice. Besides, the peel gives a more robust and
pleasant flavour.

In actual fact, I would use the Indian sort of super-condensed milk called
khoya to make something like you claim. Khoya, milk-fudge, is made by
taking whole milk and condensing it using a reduction method, stirring
constantly, until it becomes very thick and is tan in colour. You could
introduce lime peel somewhere about halfway into the process. OTOH, making
this product takes a LOT of time - 1 hour for every 1/2 liter, which
condenses down to scarcely 100 ml or less.

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Alex Rast wrote:
> I would *definitely* infuse with lime peel. The acidity would
> certainly interfere with the texture of the ganache. That's the real
> problem about using lime and/or lemon juice. Besides, the peel gives
> a more robust and pleasant flavour.

I haven't had a problem making a lemon ganache with milk chocolate and lemon
juice, etc. But I add the lemon juice at the end.

> In actual fact, I would use the Indian sort of super-condensed milk
> called khoya to make something like you claim. Khoya, milk-fudge, is
> made by taking whole milk and condensing it using a reduction method,
> stirring constantly, until it becomes very thick and is tan in
> colour. You could introduce lime peel somewhere about halfway into
> the process. OTOH, making this product takes a LOT of time - 1 hour
> for every 1/2 liter, which condenses down to scarcely 100 ml or less.

This sounds very much like dulce de leche.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Janet Puistonen > wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Alex Rast wrote:
> >>
> >> One thing I wish is that someone would make a controlled-temperature
> >> chiller for storage and creation of chocolate and chocolates in small
> >> volumes. Something about the size of a half fridge should do it.

> > That sounds just like a wine refrigerator.
> >
> > http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-wine-refrigerator.htm
> >
> > Is 55F too cool? Too warm?

> It sounds about right, but it also ideally has very low humidity and some
> airflow.

A good wine fridge should be humidity controlled. We have an old pastry
display display case which is both temperature and humidity controlled,
but of course way bigger than a half-fridge like the wine cabinets, but
if you have the room you can find them used for reasonable prices.

In general, in my wife's shop we depend on AC and fans, and some regular
refrigerators. A timer helps to keep from leaving stuff in the fridge
too long. I have been thinking about building a cooling room that would
hold a couple of tray trucks.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

> I have been thinking about building a cooling
> room that would hold a couple of tray trucks.

A cooling room for chocolates is IMO and expensive use of limited
space. in the long term.

The room for chocolate work should be cool anyway....but
Its better to have cooling tunnel inside it and then install other
equipments needed for the chocolate work.in that particular room.
There is no need to run between two rooms as there is wasted effort and
working efficiency running between rooms from the point of time and
motion study..

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Chembake wrote:
>> I have been thinking about building a cooling
>> room that would hold a couple of tray trucks.

> A cooling room for chocolates is IMO and expensive use of limited
> space. in the long term.
>
> The room for chocolate work should be cool anyway....but
> Its better to have cooling tunnel inside it and then install other
> equipments needed for the chocolate work.in that particular room.
> There is no need to run between two rooms as there is wasted effort
> and working efficiency running between rooms from the point of time
> and motion study..

I've read, in the Wybauw book, that the temperature differential between
chocolate and item to be dipped should not be more than 18F. This means that
if the working temp of the chocolate is 86F at the lowest, that the coolest
the room should be is 68F. This is not what I would consider a "cool"
room--at least not in the winter.

Any comments?

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

>I've read, in the Wybauw book, that the temperature differential between
>chocolate and item to be dipped should not be more than 18F. This means that
>if the working temp of the chocolate is 86F at the lowest, that the coolest
>the room should be is 68F. This is not what I would consider a "cool"
>room--at least not in the winter.

Well based on practical experience...If I dipped centers more t han 8
degree C cooler( equivalent to 18F) the chocolate tends to harden
undevenly....sometimes moisture condensation can even occur and that
can affect the quality of the coaitng.and the resulting product
In many cses if the centers are too cold the chocolate coating tends to
loosen up and flake off.

Therefore if the centers are kept under refrigeration I allow it to
thaw in the chocolate room ambient before I enrobed it to minimize the
temperature differential.
Besides the coating can bind better if the center is a bit warm.

If I back up filled shells with chocolate I even warm gently and
quickly the centers with a heat gun before I place the final coating.
to ensure a good adhesion

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Janet Puistonen > wrote:
> > controlled, but of course way bigger than a half-fridge like the wine
> > cabinets, but if you have the room you can find them used for
> > reasonable prices.

> Any advice on good sources of used equipment?

There is a used restaurant supply place in Roanoke, Va.
Is that close enough to be helpful? If so, contact me
by e-mail and I'll look up the number. We actually got
ours from a restaurant that was out of business, but
we've bought other stuff from the guy in Roanoke.

If you are in another area, check the yellow pages for
"restaurant equipment, used" and you should find some
sources.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Chembake > wrote:
> > I have been thinking about building a cooling
> > room that would hold a couple of tray trucks.

> A cooling room for chocolates is IMO and expensive use of limited
> space. in the long term.

> The room for chocolate work should be cool anyway....but
> Its better to have cooling tunnel inside it and then install other
> equipments needed for the chocolate work.in that particular room.
> There is no need to run between two rooms as there is wasted effort and
> working efficiency running between rooms from the point of time and
> motion study..

I'm not talking about a separate room, but more of a closet within
the main room. I'm not convinced it is the way to go, but way
cheaper and less space taken up than a cooling tunnel. Those
beasts can be pricey, at least the ones I've looked at.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

>I'm not talking about a separate room, but more of a closet within
>the main room. I'm not convinced it is the way to go, but way
>cheaper and less space taken up than a cooling tunnel. Those
>beasts can be pricey, at least the ones I've looked at.

I understand....its more like a cabinet where you can store your
chocolates.

That is good if you are just looking for a hobby or a very small home
business and have no option for expansion...in the future
A cooling tunnel do cost more but is for a long term business with
option for expansion....Besides it produces consistency in results
regardless of the product that is run through it.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Janet Puistonen > wrote:

> I live in Maine, and I've never seen any used chocolate equipment for sale
> here, unfortunately. Too small, population-wise.

Well, the display case I was talking about is a "pastry"
case. It's like a deli case except the temperature range
is not as low. Some deli cases might be adjustable enough
to be used for chocolate cooling. You want something around
55 to 65 degrees, and humidity control around 50% if I
remember correctly. Pastry cases are set up for just
that range.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Janet Puistonen > wrote:

> I live in Maine, and I've never seen any used chocolate equipment for sale
> here, unfortunately. Too small, population-wise.

Oh, another thing I've found is to try to find things
that work for chocolate but are not advertised as such.
For example, a vibrator for getting air bubbles out of
chocolate in the mold is handy, but the models sold as
being for chocolate are expensive compared to dental
laboratory vibrators. They are a little small, but good
enough for low volume production.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

>For example, a vibrator for getting air bubbles out of
>chocolate in the mold is handy, but the models sold as
>being for chocolate are expensive compared to dental
>laboratory vibrators. They are a little small, but good
>enough for low volume production

The vibrator is part of the tempering machine. It has another
attachment which can be used to fill spun products like easter eggs,
bunnes and other large molds .But for chocolate shells It can handle
usually two molds at a time, but if you are skilled at using it you
can prepare shells a minute-or two per pair of polycarbonate molds in
sequence....In half an hour you can fill roughly 50-60 molds for
shells and run it in the cooling tunnel continuously.
The backing off ( covering the filled shells with chocolates )takes
approximately the same time.

If you look closely at the construction( an if you have good hands in
doing mechanical things )
You can always improvise by making your own vibrator where you can
allow it to fit in more molds, The platform is supported by strong
spring with an electic motor that transfer the motion to a form of
contraption that creates the shaking action which is converted to
vibratinga action by the supporting springs. The rate of vibration can
be modified by turning a screw or nut to tighten or loosen up
vibrating know which will equate with different intensity of vibration
you need.

Molded Chocolate W General Cooking 16 28-01-2015 02:23 AM
What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on cookies, etc.? Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 43 06-07-2012 04:35 PM
Molded Lime Mango with Pineapple DVG2000 Recipes (moderated) 0 16-02-2008 04:44 PM
Molded candies frood Chocolate 1 25-02-2004 05:57 PM