Richard Periut

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> Cotton Eyed Joe wrote:

>>>All borderline. Real chocolate comes from Mexico and a few points south
>>>of it.

>>The best chocolate in the world comes from South America. That is what
>>European candy makers use.

> That's the raw material, not the candy. Molé sauce is a great invention.

Chocolate comes from the cocoa tree. The seeds in the pod are sun dried,
roasted, and their peel is removed. Then a large type of rolling wheel
extracts the cocoa butter, and what is left is cocoa powder. When
remixed, the product is now called chocolate.

So chocolate is not the raw product. Cocoa seeds are.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Richard Periut

Richard Periut wrote:

> Peter T. Daniels wrote:
>
>> Cotton Eyed Joe wrote:

Africa is the major producer today. Brazil, probably second. If I'm not
mistaken, Ivory Coast is a big producer of cacao.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Richard Periut

Richard Periut wrote:

> Peter T. Daniels wrote:
>
>> Cotton Eyed Joe wrote:

Africa is the major producer today. Brazil, probably second. If I'm not
mistaken, Ivory Coast is a big producer of cacao.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Matthew Fields

In article >,
Peter T. Daniels > wrote:

>They're all just so inherently implausible -- kind of like, How did the
>eye evolve?
>--
>Peter T. Daniels

Ever seen planaria flatworms? or octopusses? Eyes have evolved
something like 8 separate times, including "half-an-eye" phases where
all they are is light-sensitive patches hooked up to the nervous
system. A fuller awareness of what's already been explored in the
natural world puts things like eyes into perspective as practically
guaranteed to arise, while leaving questions like how galaxies get
spiral structures unanswered (My current pet hypothesis is that almost
all spiral galaxies have arisen from mergers of smaller galaxies which
used to orbit each other, but the events take place on such a vast
scale of time and space and my grasp of numerical solutions to General
Relativity is too weak for me to simulate the hypothesis in a computer
and see what features of galaxies it might predict which nobody has
looked for before--but watching this game from the sidelines is
certainly exciting, see
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html for
a wonderful archive of visual aids on this kind of topic).

--
Matthew H. Fields http://personal.www.umich.edu/~fields
Music: Splendor in Sound

Cindy hamilton

Dave Smith > wrote in message >...
> neurocratic malfunction wrote:
>
> > over the weekend, i decided to be a little fancy and bought some
> > imported european chocolate cuz i heard it's so much better than
> > american stuff.
> >
> > bullshit. american stuff is much better. hershey almond is the best.

> Over the weekend you parents bought a computer and you decided to troll
> news groups

I believe the OP is Tony Gaza, infamous all over Usenet for this sort
of post. I'm not even sure he reads the replies.

Cindy Hamilton
Cindy hamilton

Dave Smith > wrote in message >...
> neurocratic malfunction wrote:
>
> > over the weekend, i decided to be a little fancy and bought some
> > imported european chocolate cuz i heard it's so much better than
> > american stuff.
> >
> > bullshit. american stuff is much better. hershey almond is the best.

> Over the weekend you parents bought a computer and you decided to troll
> news groups

I believe the OP is Tony Gaza, infamous all over Usenet for this sort
of post. I'm not even sure he reads the replies.

Cindy Hamilton
Matthew Fields

In article >,
Peter T. Daniels > wrote:
>Matthew Fields wrote:
>>
>> In article >,
>> Peter T. Daniels > wrote:
>>
>> >They're all just so inherently implausible -- kind of like, How did the
>> >eye evolve?
>> >--
>> >Peter T. Daniels

>> Ever seen planaria flatworms? or octopusses? Eyes have evolved
>> something like 8 separate times,

>Are you not aware that "How did the eye evolve?" is the standard
>Creationist challenge to evolutionists?
>
>Obviously both eyes evolved and butter was invented, but both processes
>got a lot of 'splainin' to do.

But at least for the eye, the explanation already exists in droves,
and the Creationist challenge hinges upon its hearer being completely
unaware of the evidence.

--
Matthew H. Fields
http://personal.www.umich.edu/~fields
Music: Splendor in Sound
To be great, do things better and better. Don't wait for talent: no such thing.
Brights have a naturalistic world-view. http://www.the-brights.net/

Matthew Fields

In article >,
Peter T. Daniels > wrote:
>Matthew Fields wrote:
>>
>> In article >,
>> Peter T. Daniels > wrote:
>>
>> >They're all just so inherently implausible -- kind of like, How did the
>> >eye evolve?
>> >--
>> >Peter T. Daniels

>> Ever seen planaria flatworms? or octopusses? Eyes have evolved
>> something like 8 separate times,

>Are you not aware that "How did the eye evolve?" is the standard
>Creationist challenge to evolutionists?
>
>Obviously both eyes evolved and butter was invented, but both processes
>got a lot of 'splainin' to do.

But at least for the eye, the explanation already exists in droves,
and the Creationist challenge hinges upon its hearer being completely
unaware of the evidence.

--
Matthew H. Fields
http://personal.www.umich.edu/~fields
Music: Splendor in Sound
To be great, do things better and better. Don't wait for talent: no such thing.
Brights have a naturalistic world-view. http://www.the-brights.net/
Peter T. Daniels

bobbie sellers wrote:

> > Obviously both eyes evolved and butter was invented, but both processes
> > got a lot of 'splainin' to do.

> Not really. The processes of evolution only require that acceptance
> of the time involved. Light sensitive organisms usually leave the
> light.
> but when the light dectection system is hooked up to a reactive nervous
> system it becomes an advantage for survival and hence for reproduction.

The Devil is in the details.
--
Peter T. Daniels
Nightingale

Matthew Fields wrote:
> certainly exciting, see http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html for
> a wonderful archive of visual aids on this kind of topic).

I've already got that one bookmarked, and there are some lovely photos.
I have yesterday's as the background on my desktop.

--
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions
To all musicians, appear and inspi
Wendy of NJ

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 03:13:00 GMT, "Matthew Fields" >
wrote:

>In article >,
>Peter T. Daniels > wrote:
>
>>They're all just so inherently implausible -- kind of like, How did the
>>eye evolve?
>>--
>>Peter T. Daniels

>Ever seen planaria flatworms? or octopusses? Eyes have evolved
>something like 8 separate times, including "half-an-eye" phases where
>all they are is light-sensitive patches hooked up to the nervous
>system. A fuller awareness of what's already been explored in the
>natural world puts things like eyes into perspective as practically
>guaranteed to arise, while leaving questions like how galaxies get
>spiral structures unanswered (My current pet hypothesis is that almost
>all spiral galaxies have arisen from mergers of smaller galaxies which
>used to orbit each other, but the events take place on such a vast
>scale of time and space and my grasp of numerical solutions to General
>Relativity is too weak for me to simulate the hypothesis in a computer
>and see what features of galaxies it might predict which nobody has
>looked for before--but watching this game from the sidelines is
>certainly exciting, see
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html for
>a wonderful archive of visual aids on this kind of topic).

There are some really interesting videos of supercomputer simulations
of colliding elliptical galaxies that give rise to many galactic
shapes seen in telescopes. I have this on video from a while back
(early 90's or late 80's - I don't really remember), so I don't know
if it's available on the net anywhere. I think they were done by JPL.

-Wendy
Wendy of NJ

wrote:

>In article >,
>Peter T. Daniels > wrote:
>
>>They're all just so inherently implausible -- kind of like, How did the
>>eye evolve?
>>--
>>Peter T. Daniels

>Ever seen planaria flatworms? or octopusses? Eyes have evolved
>something like 8 separate times, including "half-an-eye" phases where
>all they are is light-sensitive patches hooked up to the nervous
>system. A fuller awareness of what's already been explored in the
>natural world puts things like eyes into perspective as practically
>guaranteed to arise, while leaving questions like how galaxies get
>spiral structures unanswered (My current pet hypothesis is that almost
>all spiral galaxies have arisen from mergers of smaller galaxies which
>used to orbit each other, but the events take place on such a vast
>scale of time and space and my grasp of numerical solutions to General
>Relativity is too weak for me to simulate the hypothesis in a computer
>and see what features of galaxies it might predict which nobody has
>looked for before--but watching this game from the sidelines is
>certainly exciting, see
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html for
>a wonderful archive of visual aids on this kind of topic).

There are some really interesting videos of supercomputer simulations
of colliding elliptical galaxies that give rise to many galactic
shapes seen in telescopes. I have this on video from a while back
(early 90's or late 80's - I don't really remember), so I don't know
if it's available on the net anywhere. I think they were done by JPL.

-Wendy
Wendy of NJ

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:23:02 GMT, Wendy of NJ >
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 03:13:00 GMT, "Matthew Fields" >
>wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>Peter T. Daniels > wrote:
>>
>>>They're all just so inherently implausible -- kind of like, How did the
>>>eye evolve?
>>>--
>>>Peter T. Daniels

>>Ever seen planaria flatworms? or octopusses? Eyes have evolved
>>something like 8 separate times, including "half-an-eye" phases where
>>all they are is light-sensitive patches hooked up to the nervous
>>system. A fuller awareness of what's already been explored in the
>>natural world puts things like eyes into perspective as practically
>>guaranteed to arise, while leaving questions like how galaxies get
>>spiral structures unanswered (My current pet hypothesis is that almost
>>all spiral galaxies have arisen from mergers of smaller galaxies which
>>used to orbit each other, but the events take place on such a vast
>>scale of time and space and my grasp of numerical solutions to General
>>Relativity is too weak for me to simulate the hypothesis in a computer
>>and see what features of galaxies it might predict which nobody has
>>looked for before--but watching this game from the sidelines is
>>certainly exciting, see
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html for
>>a wonderful archive of visual aids on this kind of topic).

>There are some really interesting videos of supercomputer simulations
>of colliding elliptical galaxies that give rise to many galactic
>shapes seen in telescopes. I have this on video from a while back
>(early 90's or late 80's - I don't really remember), so I don't know
>if it's available on the net anywhere. I think they were done by JPL.
>
>-Wendy

Replying to myself to add: these aren't the videos I meant in the

http://www.astro.washington.edu/stinson/nbody/galform/

Wendy of NJ

wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 03:13:00 GMT, "Matthew Fields" >
>wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>Peter T. Daniels > wrote:
>>
>>>They're all just so inherently implausible -- kind of like, How did the
>>>eye evolve?
>>>--
>>>Peter T. Daniels

>>Ever seen planaria flatworms? or octopusses? Eyes have evolved
>>something like 8 separate times, including "half-an-eye" phases where
>>all they are is light-sensitive patches hooked up to the nervous
>>system. A fuller awareness of what's already been explored in the
>>natural world puts things like eyes into perspective as practically
>>guaranteed to arise, while leaving questions like how galaxies get
>>spiral structures unanswered (My current pet hypothesis is that almost
>>all spiral galaxies have arisen from mergers of smaller galaxies which
>>used to orbit each other, but the events take place on such a vast
>>scale of time and space and my grasp of numerical solutions to General
>>Relativity is too weak for me to simulate the hypothesis in a computer
>>and see what features of galaxies it might predict which nobody has
>>looked for before--but watching this game from the sidelines is
>>certainly exciting, see
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html for
>>a wonderful archive of visual aids on this kind of topic).

>There are some really interesting videos of supercomputer simulations
>of colliding elliptical galaxies that give rise to many galactic
>shapes seen in telescopes. I have this on video from a while back
>(early 90's or late 80's - I don't really remember), so I don't know
>if it's available on the net anywhere. I think they were done by JPL.
>
>-Wendy

Replying to myself to add: these aren't the videos I meant in the

http://www.astro.washington.edu/stinson/nbody/galform/

Richard Periut

Lady Chatterly wrote:
> In article > Richard Periut > wrote:
>
>>Richard Periut wrote:

>>Africa is the major producer today. Brazil, probably second. If I'm not
>>mistaken, Ivory Coast is a big producer of cacao.

> How long have you thought you were not mistaken?
>

>>Rich

> Are you kidding?
>
> --
> Lady Chatterly
>
> "So KK (he is almost smart enough to get his 3rd K) tell everyone
> what you really think of Lady Chatterly..." -- Aratzio

Probably never :P

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Richard Periut

Lady Chatterly wrote:
> In article > Richard Periut > wrote:
>
>>Richard Periut wrote:

>>Africa is the major producer today. Brazil, probably second. If I'm not
>>mistaken, Ivory Coast is a big producer of cacao.

> How long have you thought you were not mistaken?
>

>>Rich

> Are you kidding?
>
> --
> Lady Chatterly
>
> "So KK (he is almost smart enough to get his 3rd K) tell everyone
> what you really think of Lady Chatterly..." -- Aratzio

Probably never :P

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

La Donna Mobile

" Ian Pace" > wrote in message

> "La Donna Mobile" > wrote in

message

> > "neurocratic malfunction" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> over the weekend, i decided to be a little fancy and bought some
> >> imported european chocolate cuz i heard it's so much better than
> >> american stuff.
> >>
> >> bullshit. american stuff is much better. hershey almond is the best.

> > American chocolate is rubbish. Try Belgian. Or try Green & Black's
> > Organic.
> > Yum yum.
> >

> For those who don't know the place, some fantastic Belgian chocolate is
> available at a small shop in the Vaults, between the main station and
> underground area of London Bridge Station. Can't remember the brand names
> off hand, but everything there is uniformly excellent.
>
> Ian

I'm not sure whether I should thank you.

Many of my colleagues go to Leonidas on Victoria Street to procure the
obligatory birthday chocolates.

La Donna Mobile

"Janet Puistonen" > wrote in message

> "La Donna Mobile" > wrote in

message

> > "neurocratic malfunction" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> over the weekend, i decided to be a little fancy and bought some
> >> imported european chocolate cuz i heard it's so much better than
> >> american stuff.
> >>
> >> bullshit. american stuff is much better. hershey almond is the best.

> > American chocolate is rubbish.

> This statement is just as silly as the OP's. There are good American
> chocolates. There are bad American chocolates. Same thing holds true in
> Europe.

What is the good American chocolate?

La Donna Mobile

"Janet Puistonen" > wrote in message

> "La Donna Mobile" > wrote in

message

> > "neurocratic malfunction" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> over the weekend, i decided to be a little fancy and bought some
> >> imported european chocolate cuz i heard it's so much better than
> >> american stuff.
> >>
> >> bullshit. american stuff is much better. hershey almond is the best.

> > American chocolate is rubbish.

> This statement is just as silly as the OP's. There are good American
> chocolates. There are bad American chocolates. Same thing holds true in
> Europe.

What is the good American chocolate?

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Sat, 13
Nov 2004 10:50:59 +0000 (UTC), during the rec.food.chocolate Community
News Flash "La Donna Mobile" >
reported:

>"Janet Puistonen" > wrote in message
>>
>> "La Donna Mobile" > wrote in

>message
>> >
>> > "neurocratic malfunction" > wrote in message
>> > om...

>> > American chocolate is rubbish.

>> This statement is just as silly as the OP's. There are good American
>> chocolates. There are bad American chocolates. Same thing holds true in
>> Europe.
>>

>What is the good American chocolate?

Ghiradelli?

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Sat, 13
Nov 2004 10:50:59 +0000 (UTC), during the rec.food.chocolate Community
News Flash "La Donna Mobile" >
reported:

>"Janet Puistonen" > wrote in message
>>
>> "La Donna Mobile" > wrote in

>message
>> >
>> > "neurocratic malfunction" > wrote in message
>> > om...

>> > American chocolate is rubbish.

>> This statement is just as silly as the OP's. There are good American
>> chocolates. There are bad American chocolates. Same thing holds true in
>> Europe.
>>

>What is the good American chocolate?

Ghiradelli?

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Links to my published poetry - http://davidachazan.homestead.com/
~*~*~*~*~*~
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Thu, 11
Nov 2004 13:30:13 GMT, during the rec.food.chocolate Community News
Flash "Peter T. Daniels" > reported:

>neurocratic malfunction wrote:
>>
>> over the weekend, i decided to be a little fancy and bought some
>> imported european chocolate cuz i heard it's so much better than
>> american stuff.
>>
>> bullshit. american stuff is much better. hershey almond is the best.

>Europeans reportedly don't like Hershey's because it's made with
>buttermilk, and they perceive it to be sour-tasting.

Not true. Hershey's uses FRESH milk, but because milk is water based
and cocoa is oil based, the extremely high temperature that is needed
to get the oil and water to mix makes the fresh milk *almost* go sour.
This is ONLY done by Hershey - not by other manufacturers. All other
manufacturers use powdered milk to make their milk chocolate (starting
with Mr. Cadbury who met Mr. Nestle who invented powdered milk).

Hope that helps.

(I've removed rec.arts.movies.current-films and rec.music.classical
from the follow up list.)

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Links to my published poetry - http://davidachazan.homestead.com/
~*~*~*~*~*~
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Thu, 11
Nov 2004 13:30:13 GMT, during the rec.food.chocolate Community News
Flash "Peter T. Daniels" > reported:

>neurocratic malfunction wrote:
>>
>> over the weekend, i decided to be a little fancy and bought some
>> imported european chocolate cuz i heard it's so much better than
>> american stuff.
>>
>> bullshit. american stuff is much better. hershey almond is the best.

>Europeans reportedly don't like Hershey's because it's made with
>buttermilk, and they perceive it to be sour-tasting.

Not true. Hershey's uses FRESH milk, but because milk is water based
and cocoa is oil based, the extremely high temperature that is needed
to get the oil and water to mix makes the fresh milk *almost* go sour.
This is ONLY done by Hershey - not by other manufacturers. All other
manufacturers use powdered milk to make their milk chocolate (starting
with Mr. Cadbury who met Mr. Nestle who invented powdered milk).

Hope that helps.

(I've removed rec.arts.movies.current-films and rec.music.classical
from the follow up list.)

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Links to my published poetry - http://davidachazan.homestead.com/
~*~*~*~*~*~

bobbie sellers

Some inquiring mind got me started, Sorry if I missed his
handle but this is part at least of the answer to his
query.

[snip of previous posting]

> > > American chocolate is rubbish.

> > This statement is just as silly as the OP's. There are good American
> > chocolates. There are bad American chocolates. Same thing holds true in
> > Europe.
> >

> What is the good American chocolate?

Sharfen-Berger makes several varieties but some are only
for the hard core cocoa fans like the niblet bar with cocoa
beans in small pieces included.

Giradelli makes some adequate chocolate bars and it
is in nearly all larger super markets. Their unsweetened
cocoa is very good and economically priced.

Guittard also makes some very fine chocolate bars.
These are harder to find.

See's makes some very delicious chocolates and other
candies if they are in your neighborhood,

Hershey's is what I started out with and it makes the
worst cocoa powder except for Kroger's sold in Ralphs.
Hershey chocolate bars are below mediocre and even worse
than that were the bars supplied in field rations.

First 3 companies are in the San Francisco Bay Area and
See's is a California institution since the 1940s.

If you want to know more about the Hershey company just
look online.

later
bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

--
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,

bobbie sellers

Some inquiring mind got me started, Sorry if I missed his
handle but this is part at least of the answer to his
query.

[snip of previous posting]

> > > American chocolate is rubbish.

> > This statement is just as silly as the OP's. There are good American
> > chocolates. There are bad American chocolates. Same thing holds true in
> > Europe.
> >

> What is the good American chocolate?

Sharfen-Berger makes several varieties but some are only
for the hard core cocoa fans like the niblet bar with cocoa
beans in small pieces included.

Giradelli makes some adequate chocolate bars and it
is in nearly all larger super markets. Their unsweetened
cocoa is very good and economically priced.

Guittard also makes some very fine chocolate bars.
These are harder to find.

See's makes some very delicious chocolates and other
candies if they are in your neighborhood,

Hershey's is what I started out with and it makes the
worst cocoa powder except for Kroger's sold in Ralphs.
Hershey chocolate bars are below mediocre and even worse
than that were the bars supplied in field rations.

First 3 companies are in the San Francisco Bay Area and
See's is a California institution since the 1940s.

If you want to know more about the Hershey company just
look online.

later
bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

--
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
--from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

Walter Bushell

In article >,
Wendy of NJ > wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:32:21 GMT, "Peter T. Daniels"
> > wrote:
>
> >Wendy of NJ wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:59:43 GMT, "Peter T. Daniels"

> >> I find the entire chocolate thing slightly amazing, considering the
> >> amount of processing it takes to convert cocoa/cacao to chocolate (and
> >> that someone figured out how to do it in the 17th century).

> >I'm impressed by butter.
> >
> >And bread.
> >
> >And tapioca.
> >
> >And soufflé.
> >
> >And meringue.
> >
> >They're all just so inherently implausible -- kind of like, How did the
> >eye evolve?

> But, according to current knowledge, the eye evolved independently on
> Earth about 18 different times, and they are all quite similar to each
> other. (OK, maybe it's 4 instead of 18, but still).
>
> It's like, to me anyway, someone looking at a crab or a lobster and
> thinking this thing could possibly be edible.

Hunger. Now about oysters and clams! It was a brave (or hungry) man or
belike woman who first ventured upon eating an oyster.

--
Guns don't kill people; automobiles kill people.
Walter Bushell

In article >,
Wendy of NJ > wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:32:21 GMT, "Peter T. Daniels"
> > wrote:
>
> >Wendy of NJ wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:59:43 GMT, "Peter T. Daniels"

> >> I find the entire chocolate thing slightly amazing, considering the
> >> amount of processing it takes to convert cocoa/cacao to chocolate (and
> >> that someone figured out how to do it in the 17th century).

> >I'm impressed by butter.
> >
> >And bread.
> >
> >And tapioca.
> >
> >And soufflé.
> >
> >And meringue.
> >
> >They're all just so inherently implausible -- kind of like, How did the
> >eye evolve?

> But, according to current knowledge, the eye evolved independently on
> Earth about 18 different times, and they are all quite similar to each
> other. (OK, maybe it's 4 instead of 18, but still).
>
> It's like, to me anyway, someone looking at a crab or a lobster and
> thinking this thing could possibly be edible.

Hunger. Now about oysters and clams! It was a brave (or hungry) man or
belike woman who first ventured upon eating an oyster.

--
Guns don't kill people; automobiles kill people.
Peter T. Daniels

Walter Bushell wrote:

> > It's like, to me anyway, someone looking at a crab or a lobster and
> > thinking this thing could possibly be edible.

> Hunger. Now about oysters and clams! It was a brave (or hungry) man or
> belike woman who first ventured upon eating an oyster.

But they allegedly went on to make lots more oyster-eaters ...
--
Peter T. Daniels

Ralph Bartsch

notbob > schrieb:

>The other is Scharffen Berger, a California producer that is fanatical =

in
>its persuit of producing the best chocolate. Their plant uses "old =

world"
>equipment they've purchased from European companies that have tossed it =

off
>for a more cost efficient processes.
>
>I'm no choco expert, but SB is pretty much considered to be THE premier
>choco maker in the US and on par with best of the best of Euro choco =

makers.

Scharffen Berger chocolate is of much better quality than all european
supermarket chocolate. there are only a few very sophisticated brands
like Bonnat (FRance), Domori (Italy) or Ackermann's (London) which are
of better quality.

RB
Ralph Bartsch