Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

Default cost of producing a goblet of Montezuma's cocoa beverage?

Cortes reported that Montezuma drank 50 goblets of (non-sweetened)
cocoa beverage before entering his harem.

a goblet of cocoa was expensive to make in pre-mechanized society.
Even if the laborers were nominally slaves, they had to be fed,
clothed, housed, etc. In fact, the houseservants of a sovereign are
normally well kept.

Is it possible to estimate an equivelant 2007 value of a goblet of
Monteuma's cocoa drink?

Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

Why..????

Do you have a "Harem"..????

wayne ;-) george
============
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Cortes reported that Montezuma drank 50 goblets of (non-sweetened)
> cocoa beverage before entering his harem.
>
> a goblet of cocoa was expensive to make in pre-mechanized society.
> Even if the laborers were nominally slaves, they had to be fed,
> clothed, housed, etc. In fact, the houseservants of a sovereign are
> normally well kept.
>
> Is it possible to estimate an equivelant 2007 value of a goblet of
> Monteuma's cocoa drink?

Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

On Feb 11, 8:22 am, wrote:
> Cortes reported that Montezuma drank 50 goblets of (non-sweetened)
> cocoa beverage before entering his harem.

Leave it to a harem-keeper to think 'more is better'.

Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

oldwifetale wrote:
> On Feb 11, 8:22 am, wrote:
>> Cortes reported that Montezuma drank 50 goblets of (non-sweetened)
>> cocoa beverage before entering his harem.

> Leave it to a harem-keeper to think 'more is better'.

well, duh!
and yes, especially if my wife would let me get away with it!!!
Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

On Feb 11, 4:22 pm, wrote:
> Cortes reported that Montezuma drank 50 goblets of (non-sweetened)
> cocoa beverage before entering his harem.
>
> a goblet of cocoa was expensive to make in pre-mechanized society.
> Even if the laborers were nominally slaves, they had to be fed,
> clothed, housed, etc. In fact, the houseservants of a sovereign are
> normally well kept.
>
> Is it possible to estimate an equivelant 2007 value of a goblet of
> Monteuma's cocoa drink?

The cocoa would have contained a high proportion of cocaine.

Apart from being soporific, it would have caused erectile dysfunction.

He should have slept in the spare room.

Cormac

Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

cormac wrote:
> On Feb 11, 4:22 pm, wrote:
>> Cortes reported that Montezuma drank 50 goblets of (non-sweetened)
>> cocoa beverage before entering his harem.
>>
>> a goblet of cocoa was expensive to make in pre-mechanized society.
>> Even if the laborers were nominally slaves, they had to be fed,
>> clothed, housed, etc. In fact, the houseservants of a sovereign are
>> normally well kept.
>>
>> Is it possible to estimate an equivelant 2007 value of a goblet of
>> Monteuma's cocoa drink?

> The cocoa would have contained a high proportion of cocaine.
>
> Apart from being soporific, it would have caused erectile dysfunction.
>
> He should have slept in the spare room.
>
> Cormac

I can't find any referrence of cocaine being present in
cocoa. Caffein, yes, but not cocaine.
Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

> "dances_with_barka..." wrote:
> Cortes reported that Montezuma drank fifty goblets of
> (non-sweetened) cocoa beverage before entering his
> harem.

Cortes wasn't very good at "estimating" a lot of "facts"
about indigenous Mesoamerican cultures.

I'd also like to know how many ounces of beverage
the goblet contained.

This source says that he drank up to fifty cups in
the course of any given day, not in a concentrated
period immediately preceding intercourse with his
wives:

http://tinyurl.com/29t6py

> A goblet of cocoa was expensive to make in
> pre-mechanized society. Even if the laborers were
> nominally slaves, they had to be fed, clothed, housed,
> etc. In fact, the houseservants of a sovereign are
> normally well kept.
>
> Is it possible to estimate an equivelant 2007 value of
> a goblet of Montezuma's cocoa drink?

The Mexica and the Maya used cacao beans as one
form of currency, so in effect, Moctezuma The Second
(Motecuhzoma Xocoyotzin) was drinking money.

http://www.chocolatesource.com/trivia/index.asp

http://www.chocolate.org/montezuma.html

http://www.elcastillodelcacao.com/cacao.html

- - - - - -
TODD TAMANEND CLARK
Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Cultural Historian
The Monongahela River, Turtle Island
http://cdbaby.com/all/primalpulse
http://myspace.com/toddtamanendclark
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Todd_Clark

Posted to soc.history.ancient,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

VtSkier wrote:

> I can't find any referrence of cocaine being present in
> cocoa. Caffein, yes, but not cocaine.

The coke is in the leaf, not the seed.

Bob Kolker

Posted to soc.history.ancient,rec.food.chocolate
BK BK is offline

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:28:48 -0500, Bob Kolker wrote:

> VtSkier wrote:
>>

>> I can't find any referrence of cocaine being present in
>> cocoa. Caffein, yes, but not cocaine.

> The coke is in the leaf, not the seed.
>
> Bob Kolker

Um, guys? You're confusing two entirely different plants:

Coca (from whence comes cocaine) - Erythroxylum coca
Cocoa (from whence comes chocolate) - Theobroma cacao

BK (back to lurk mode)
Posted to soc.history.ancient,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

Bob Kolker wrote:
> VtSkier wrote:
>>

>> I can't find any referrence of cocaine being present in
>> cocoa. Caffein, yes, but not cocaine.

> The coke is in the leaf, not the seed.
>
> Bob Kolker

Uhm, you sure?

Cocaine is in the leaf of the coca plant.
Cocoa come from the cocoa plant. AFAIK
not the same plant.

Posted to soc.history.ancient,rec.food.chocolate

BK wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:28:48 -0500, Bob Kolker wrote:
>
>> VtSkier wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't find any referrence of cocaine being present in
>>> cocoa. Caffein, yes, but not cocaine.

>> The coke is in the leaf, not the seed.
>>
>> Bob Kolker

> Um, guys? You're confusing two entirely different plants:
>
> Coca (from whence comes cocaine) - Erythroxylum coca
> Cocoa (from whence comes chocolate) - Theobroma cacao
>
> BK (back to lurk mode)

That's what I was getting at, but thanks.
Posted to soc.history.ancient,rec.food.chocolate

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:11:38 -0500,VtSkier, wrote

> BK wrote:

> >> The coke is in the leaf, not the seed.
> >>
> >> Bob Kolker

> > Um, guys? You're confusing two entirely different plants:
> >
> > Coca (from whence comes cocaine) - Erythroxylum coca
> > Cocoa (from whence comes chocolate) - Theobroma cacao
> >
> > BK (back to lurk mode)

> That's what I was getting at, but thanks.

And I knew the difference and thank you too BK. This is
a fairly common misunderstanding because of the similarity
of the sound of the names. Also the amount of caffine in
cocoa or cacao is rather small and if Moctezuma drank it for
the caffiene he would have to go thru 50 cups a day.

As for drinking money when drinking cocoa that is the fact
with all beverages, Even water costs a lot these days.

later
bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
--from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

wrote:
> Cortes reported that Montezuma drank 50 goblets of (non-sweetened)
> cocoa beverage before entering his harem.

> a goblet of cocoa was expensive to make in pre-mechanized society.
> Even if the laborers were nominally slaves, they had to be fed,
> clothed, housed, etc. In fact, the houseservants of a sovereign are
> normally well kept.

> Is it possible to estimate an equivelant 2007 value of a goblet of
> Monteuma's cocoa drink?

One presumes what about the nature of the drink? Was it made from the bean? Did
it contain leaves? How was it prepared? One presumes it was whatever they
considered the best quality but we have no idea what they thought that was. If
we are just talking the bean the preparation is trivial independent of the
quality of the bean. Consider it like gourmet coffee. Other than civet coffee it
is all the same process.

And then who made it? The cost would be the cost of keeping that person
employed or alive or whatever. Clearly it would cost more if a priest made it
than a slave but it could have been a cheap apprentice priest and slave for
display who had to be kept in expensive clothing to show of the emperor wealth.

And a dozen other factors such as did the great beans grow in his backyard or
in the farthest reaches of the empire?

All of this means we may never know what it cost. And if my some miracle we
found all the factors above translating that into dollars would be near
impossible because the basis for the economy was entirely different. In a
well-run economy slaves cost more than share-croppers. In a hierarchical system
with great rewards at the top an apprentice priest may work for scraps for the
opportunity.

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed,
Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:02:37 -0500,Matt Giwer, wrote

> wrote:
> > Cortes reported that Montezuma drank 50 goblets of (non-sweetened)
> > cocoa beverage before entering his harem.

> > a goblet of cocoa was expensive to make in pre-mechanized society.
> > Even if the laborers were nominally slaves, they had to be fed,
> > clothed, housed, etc. In fact, the houseservants of a sovereign are
> > normally well kept.

> > Is it possible to estimate an equivelant 2007 value of a goblet of
> > Monteuma's cocoa drink?

> One presumes what about the nature of the drink? Was it made from
> the bean? Did it contain leaves? How was it prepared? One presumes it
> was whatever they considered the best quality but we have no idea what
> they thought that was. If we are just talking the bean the preparation
> is trivial independent of the quality of the bean. Consider it like
> gourmet coffee. Other than civet coffee it is all the same process.
>
> And then who made it? The cost would be the cost of keeping that
> person employed or alive or whatever. Clearly it would cost more if a
> priest made it than a slave but it could have been a cheap apprentice
> priest and slave for display who had to be kept in expensive clothing
> to show of the emperor wealth.
>
> And a dozen other factors such as did the great beans grow in his
> backyard or in the farthest reaches of the empire?
>
> All of this means we may never know what it cost. And if my some
> miracle we found all the factors above translating that into dollars
> would be near impossible because the basis for the economy was entirely
> different. In a well-run economy slaves cost more than share-croppers.
> In a hierarchical system with great rewards at the top an apprentice
> priest may work for scraps for the opportunity.

From the chocolate FAQ:

1.1 What is chocolate? Where does it come from?

Chocolate is a food made from the seeds of a tropical tree called
the cacao. These trees flourish in warm, moist climates. Most of the
world's cacao beans come from West Africa, where Ghana, the Ivory Coast
and Nigeria are the largest producers. Because of a spelling error,
probably by English traders long ago, these beans became known as cocoa
beans.

-=-=-=-=-

1.2 What is the history of chocolate?

(Excerpted with permission from the Godiva WWW site)

* In 600 A.D. the Mayans migrated into the northern regions of South
America, establishing the earliest known cocoa plantations in the Yucatan.
It has been argued that the Mayans had been familiar with cocoa several
centuries prior to this date. They considered it a valuable commodity,
used both as a means of payment and as units of calculation.

* Mayans and Aztecs took beans from the "cacao" tree and made a drink they
called "xocolatl." Aztec Indian legend held that cacao seeds had been
brought from Paradise and that wisdom and power came from eating the fruit
of the cacao tree..

* The word "chocolate" is said to derive from the Mayan "xocolatl"; cacao
from the Aztec "cacahuatl". The Mexican Indian word "chocolate" comes from
a combination of the terms choco ("foam") and atl ("water"); early
chocolate was only consumed in beverage form.

In addition it has been said that the Aztec preparation included
corn meal.

As for how much it cost it was a luxury on the order of
a fine wine for the Aztec and use was reserved to the powerful.

later
bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
--from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

bobbie sellers wrote:
> [...]

> from the Aztec "cacahuatl". The Mexican Indian word "chocolate" comes from
> a combination of the terms choco ("foam") and atl ("water"); early
> chocolate was only consumed in beverage form.
>
> In addition it has been said that the Aztec preparation included
> corn meal.
>
> As for how much it cost it was a luxury on the order of
> a fine wine for the Aztec and use was reserved to the powerful.
>
> later
> bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)
>
> --
> bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco
>
> "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
> It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
> the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
> It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
> --from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

How much of this can I believe since the quote doesn't even
get the geography right?

Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:32:05 -0500,VtSkier, wrote

> [...]

> > centuries prior to this date. They considered it a valuable commodity,
> > used both as a means of payment and as units of calculation.
> >
> > * Mayans and Aztecs took beans from the "cacao" tree and made a drink they
> > called "xocolatl." Aztec Indian legend held that cacao seeds had been
> > brought from Paradise and that wisdom and power came from eating the fruit
> > of the cacao tree..
> >
> > * The word "chocolate" is said to derive from the Mayan "xocolatl"; cacao
> > from the Aztec "cacahuatl". The Mexican Indian word "chocolate" comes from
> > a combination of the terms choco ("foam") and atl ("water"); early
> > chocolate was only consumed in beverage form.
> >
> > In addition it has been said that the Aztec preparation included
> > corn meal.
> >
> > As for how much it cost it was a luxury on the order of
> > a fine wine for the Aztec and use was reserved to the powerful.

snip of old sig file

> How much of this can I believe since the quote doesn't even get the
> geography right?

What is wrong with the geography?
Cacao started as a New World crop and imperial colonizers moved it
to Old World regions where it could be farmed with native labor. Most
likely originally with slave labor just underpaid children most often
today.
Curious thing is that most of the African children involved in
cacao cultivation have never tasted the end product. They couldn't
afford Western prices in any event.

later
bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
--from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

Posted to soc.history.ancient,rec.food.chocolate

On Feb 12, 1:02 pm, BK > wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:28:48 -0500, Bob Kolker wrote:
> > VtSkier wrote:

> >> I can't find any referrence of cocaine being present in
> >> cocoa. Caffein, yes, but not cocaine.

> > The coke is in the leaf, not the seed.

> > Bob Kolker

> Um, guys? You're confusing two entirely different plants:
>
> Coca (from whence comes cocaine) - Erythroxylum coca
> Cocoa (from whence comes chocolate) - Theobroma cacao
>
> BK (back to lurk mode)

Although the original post referred to cocoa, I assumed that he was
referring to a liquid extract from Erythroxylon coca, but if he is
quoting Cortez, it is unlikely that the latter would have known his
coca form his cocoa. (from cacao).

Cormac.

Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

bobbie sellers wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:32:05 -0500,VtSkier, wrote
>
>> bobbie sellers wrote:
>>> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:02:37 -0500,Matt Giwer, wrote

>>> From the chocolate FAQ:
>>>
>>> 1.1 What is chocolate? Where does it come from?
>>>
>>> Chocolate is a food made from the seeds of a tropical tree called
>>> the cacao. These trees flourish in warm, moist climates. Most of the
>>> world's cacao beans come from West Africa, where Ghana, the Ivory Coast
>>> and Nigeria are the largest producers. Because of a spelling error,
>>> probably by English traders long ago, these beans became known as cocoa
>>> beans.
>>>
>>> -=-=-=-=-
>>>
>>> 1.2 What is the history of chocolate?
>>>
>>> (Excerpted with permission from the Godiva WWW site)
>>>
>>> * In 600 A.D. the Mayans migrated into the northern regions of South
>>> America, establishing the earliest known cocoa plantations in the Yucatan.
>>> It has been argued that the Mayans had been familiar with cocoa several
>>> centuries prior to this date. They considered it a valuable commodity,
>>> used both as a means of payment and as units of calculation.
>>>
>>> * Mayans and Aztecs took beans from the "cacao" tree and made a drink they
>>> called "xocolatl." Aztec Indian legend held that cacao seeds had been
>>> brought from Paradise and that wisdom and power came from eating the fruit
>>> of the cacao tree..
>>>
>>> * The word "chocolate" is said to derive from the Mayan "xocolatl"; cacao
>>> from the Aztec "cacahuatl". The Mexican Indian word "chocolate" comes from
>>> a combination of the terms choco ("foam") and atl ("water"); early
>>> chocolate was only consumed in beverage form.
>>>
>>> In addition it has been said that the Aztec preparation included
>>> corn meal.
>>>
>>> As for how much it cost it was a luxury on the order of
>>> a fine wine for the Aztec and use was reserved to the powerful.

> snip of old sig file
>
>> How much of this can I believe since the quote doesn't even get the
>> geography right?

> What is wrong with the geography?

YUCATAN IS NOT IN THE NORTHERN PART OF SOUTH AMERICA!!!

> Cacao started as a New World crop and imperial colonizers moved it
> to Old World regions where it could be farmed with native labor. Most
> likely originally with slave labor just underpaid children most often
> today.
> Curious thing is that most of the African children involved in
> cacao cultivation have never tasted the end product. They couldn't
> afford Western prices in any event.
>
> later
> bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)
>
> --
> bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco
>
> "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
> It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
> the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
> It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
> --from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

bobbie sellers wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:02:37 -0500,Matt Giwer, wrote
>> wrote:
>>> Cortes reported that Montezuma drank 50 goblets of (non-sweetened)
>>> cocoa beverage before entering his harem.
>>> a goblet of cocoa was expensive to make in pre-mechanized society.
>>> Even if the laborers were nominally slaves, they had to be fed,
>>> clothed, housed, etc. In fact, the houseservants of a sovereign are
>>> normally well kept.
>>> Is it possible to estimate an equivelant 2007 value of a goblet of
>>> Monteuma's cocoa drink?

>> One presumes what about the nature of the drink? Was it made from
>> the bean? Did it contain leaves? How was it prepared? One presumes it
>> was whatever they considered the best quality but we have no idea what
>> they thought that was. If we are just talking the bean the preparation
>> is trivial independent of the quality of the bean. Consider it like
>> gourmet coffee. Other than civet coffee it is all the same process.
>> And then who made it? The cost would be the cost of keeping that
>> person employed or alive or whatever. Clearly it would cost more if a
>> priest made it than a slave but it could have been a cheap apprentice
>> priest and slave for display who had to be kept in expensive clothing
>> to show of the emperor wealth.
>> And a dozen other factors such as did the great beans grow in his
>> backyard or in the farthest reaches of the empire?
>> All of this means we may never know what it cost. And if my some
>> miracle we found all the factors above translating that into dollars
>> would be near impossible because the basis for the economy was entirely
>> different. In a well-run economy slaves cost more than share-croppers.
>> In a hierarchical system with great rewards at the top an apprentice
>> priest may work for scraps for the opportunity.

> From the chocolate FAQ:

> 1.1 What is chocolate? Where does it come from?

> Chocolate is a food made from the seeds of a tropical tree called
> the cacao. These trees flourish in warm, moist climates. Most of the
> world's cacao beans come from West Africa, where Ghana, the Ivory Coast
> and Nigeria are the largest producers. Because of a spelling error,
> probably by English traders long ago, these beans became known as cocoa
> beans.

Actually several non-beans came to be called beans before Linnaeus, coffee
beans for example.

--
How is sending 22,000 troops to Iraq a better plan than sending 130,000
troops to Iraq?
nizkor
http://www.giwersworld.org/nizkook/nizkook.phtml
Larry Shiff http://www.giwersworld.org/computers/newsagent.phtml a8
Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

On Feb 12, 8:02 pm, "bobbie sellers" >
wrote:
> [...]

> from the Aztec "cacahuatl". The Mexican Indian word "chocolate" comes from
> a combination of the terms choco ("foam") and atl ("water"); early
> chocolate was only consumed in beverage form.
>
> In addition it has been said that the Aztec preparation included
> corn meal.
>
> As for how much it cost it was a luxury on the order of
> a fine wine for the Aztec and use was reserved to the powerful.
>
> later
> bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)
>
> --
> bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco
>
> "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
> It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
> the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
> It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
> --from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.- Hide quoted text -

What comes closest to the elixer is putting several heaping
tablespoons of Ghiradelli cocoa powder in a blender with milk and
blend until frothy. Incredible!

Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

On 18 Feb 2007 21:54:19 ", wrote

> [...]

> > centuries prior to this date. They considered it a valuable commodity,
> > used both as a means of payment and as units of calculation.
> >
> > * Mayans and Aztecs took beans from the "cacao" tree and made a drink they
> > called "xocolatl." Aztec Indian legend held that cacao seeds had been
> > brought from Paradise and that wisdom and power came from eating the fruit
> > of the cacao tree..
> >
> > * The word "chocolate" is said to derive from the Mayan "xocolatl"; cacao
> > from the Aztec "cacahuatl". The Mexican Indian word "chocolate" comes from
> > a combination of the terms choco ("foam") and atl ("water"); early
> > chocolate was only consumed in beverage form.
> >
> > In addition it has been said that the Aztec preparation included
> > corn meal.
> >
> > As for how much it cost it was a luxury on the order of
> > a fine wine for the Aztec and use was reserved to the powerful.

snip of old sig files

> What comes closest to the elixer is putting several heaping tablespoons
> of Ghiradelli cocoa powder in a blender with milk and blend until
> frothy. Incredible!

Don't use too much milk, add hot water instead.
Use unsweetened cocoa with half as much sugar by volume or
equivalent amount of honey which was the sweetner used by Aztecs.
Don't forget the cayenne or the other traditional spices. Closer
to Moctezuma's drink would require the addition of corn meal to
thicken the liquid and add some more carbs to the elixir.

And beat it by hand with a Mexican tool sold at markets or
as I do with hachi(aka chopsticks).

later
bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
--from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

On Feb 11, 8:22 am, wrote:
> Cortes reported that Montezuma drank 50 goblets of (non-sweetened)
> cocoa beverage before entering his harem.
>
> a goblet of cocoa was expensive to make in pre-mechanized society.
> Even if the laborers were nominally slaves, they had to be fed,
> clothed, housed, etc. In fact, the houseservants of a sovereign are
> normally well kept.
>
> Is it possible to estimate an equivelant 2007 value of a goblet of
> Monteuma's cocoa drink?

It seems that, at the time, 10 beans was enough to purchase the
services of a prostitute. If the nib of each bean is one gram and it
takes 25 grams per cup, then each cup would cost the equivalent of 2.5
times a prostitute. Taking a guess that prostitutes today cost $100
(feel free to correct me on this if you have better information) then
a cup of chocolate would be $250.

Hmm, this also gives us the equation that chocolate is two and a half
times better than sex!

Posted to soc.history.ancient,soc.history.what-if,alt.native,sci.econ,rec.food.chocolate

On 8 Mar 2007 00:30:14 -0800,"mcdruid", wrote

> On Feb 11, 8:22 am, wrote:
> > Cortes reported that Montezuma drank 50 goblets of (non-sweetened)
> > cocoa beverage before entering his harem.
> >
> > a goblet of cocoa was expensive to make in pre-mechanized society.
> > Even if the laborers were nominally slaves, they had to be fed,
> > clothed, housed, etc. In fact, the houseservants of a sovereign are
> > normally well kept.
> >
> > Is it possible to estimate an equivelant 2007 value of a goblet of
> > Monteuma's cocoa drink?

> It seems that, at the time, 10 beans was enough to purchase the services
> of a prostitute. If the nib of each bean is one gram and it takes 25
> grams per cup, then each cup would cost the equivalent of 2.5 times a
> prostitute. Taking a guess that prostitutes today cost $100 (feel free
> to correct me on this if you have better information) then a cup of
> chocolate would be $250.

Cost is variable from less than 100 USD to more than 1000 USD not
counting possible alimony required by wife who learns you are playing
around and the salaries of at least two lawyers.

> Hmm, this also gives us the equation that chocolate is two and a half
> times better than sex!

Depending on who is having sex and who is eating/drinking cocao
derived confection/beverage it may last a lot longer too. Certainly
the weight gain will stick around longer (see tag).

Also 25 grams is nealy an ounce and it takes a lot less cocoa powder
(full fat) to make a good 4 oz. cuppa of god food. But the Aztecs were
all out imperialists and might have confined their decadence to cocao
and cannabilism so for the Emperor to spend a lot on cocao would be
expected,