Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

Default Florida microbrews?

I'm headed to the Orlando area next week and would like to quaff some local
brew if possible. I'm not familiar with any Florida-brewed beer. Can
anybody help me out?
Also, if you know of any good brewpubs and/or beer bars in the Orlando
vicinity.

Thanks much,

--
Henry Eichel

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

>>>Also, if you know of any good brewpubs and/or beer bars in the Orlando
>>>vicinity.

I really hope you get a decent response. When I go to Orlando the options
seem to be:

* British beers at the many British 'pubs' (like Old Speckled Hen or
Worthingtons on tap--easy to find);

* Going to someplace that sounds good like the "Orlando Ale House" only to
find that the best option is a Sam Adams on tap;

* Going to ABC liquors on Orange Blossom Train for the Chimay line, or some
Young's beers including the Old Nick Barleywine;

* Getting up to the WholeFoods in Winter Park for their semi-pricey
selection of Belgians, along with the nice Belgian-style beer brewed by
North Coast expressly for Whole Foods;

* The Old World Market on Sand Lake where you can get a few good (though
warm, with questionable shelf-time) micros including Dogfish.

* The yupscale Tu-Tu Tango tapas bar on International Drive tends to have a
couple decent micros on tap; sitting at the bar and having a couple of
tapas while trying the best they have managed to get from wholesalers is a
half-decent option.

Florida tends to be a "warm weather beer" state that keeps most people in
Bud or Corona country.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

"Douglas W. Hoyt" > wrote in message

> Florida tends to be a "warm weather beer" state that keeps most people in
> Bud or Corona country.

I was afraid of that. I live in South Carolina, which is much the same,
although we have a couple of drinkable micros -- Palmetto and New South.

* British beers at the many British 'pubs' (like Old Speckled Hen or
> Worthingtons on tap--easy to find);

That's probably where we'll head. Do you know anything about the
Cricketers' Arms?

> * Getting up to the WholeFoods in Winter Park for their semi-pricey
> selection of Belgians

Do you know if they (or anybody else in Orlando) carry Leffe?

Thanks much for the info!

--
Henry Eichel

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
KAB KAB is offline

Check out Big C liquors on University Blvd. in Winter Park for a great
Belgian selection with very reasonable prices. Lots of other micros
too.

Cheers,

KB

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

Thanks for the tip!

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

I was there a couple years back and it has really nice atmosphere (it's not
a cheesy cookie-cutter place like some of the corporate Irish pubs that are
popping up all over the U.S.) and decent British beers. Have a look at
the fourteen reviews at www.pubcrawler.com (where you can also read other
Orlando recommendations).

Here are the Cricketers reviews:
http://www.pubcrawler.com/Template/R.../BrewerID=2631

Here is the complete pubcrawler Orlando listing:
http://www.pubcrawler.com/Template/SearchWC.cfm

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

"hse_66" > wrote in
:

> I'm headed to the Orlando area next week and would like to
> quaff some local brew if possible.

We found the Big River Grille (franchise from TN) at Disney's
Boardwalk to be not bad at all. They had a Slipstream (or
somesuch - DC-3, Baby!) that at <2%abv was an acheivement all by
itself. And the Brown...also not bad at all. Stout, Red, PA,
none were sucky. The Brown was the winner in the "Dang!" dept,
though. Service/food: Good+. And the walking/looking
opportunities are nearly endless. Don't worry about The Mouse -
parking is free and convenient.

We didn't do the full Florida survey, but the best beer of the
trip (7/05) was to be had at the Tampa Bay Brewing Company. Bit
of a drive from Orlando (~1hr) but a good brewpub in a good area
that tries to have a bit of New Orleans (and does it well).
Bitchin' bridge on the way, too.

Scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

check out beeradvocate.com they have a part of the site called
beerfly...reviews of any place in any area that has any kind of craft
brew selection. stores restuarants and brewpubs

X-lg Florida avocado Janet B General Cooking 4 03-12-2014 05:37 AM
microbrews in India? John Smith[_3_] Beer 0 25-08-2009 02:36 AM
Q'ers in South Florida bk Barbecue 4 26-10-2004 01:49 AM
All Georgia and Florida AFB'ers Big Jim Barbecue 5 08-10-2004 08:36 PM
DAVES FARM FRESH FLORIDA PRODUCE BROOKSVILLE FLORIDA CHERRY PICKER Restaurants 0 09-06-2004 04:52 AM