Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

Default Is beer supposed to taste bitter?

all the beers that I'm trying are tasting really bitter.
Just as a few examples: amstel, heineken, guinness.
Are there any beers out there that taste good?
thanx

Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

On 2006-02-28, asdf > wrote:

> Are there any beers out there that taste good?

No ...now go away.

nb
Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

asdf wrote:
> all the beers that I'm trying are tasting really bitter.
> Just as a few examples: amstel, heineken, guinness.
> Are there any beers out there that taste good?
> thanx

http://tinyurl.com/f5j4l

Or you might like an ale...

http://tinyurl.com/l4hj3

Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

"Or you might like an ale..."

er..in the UK ale is commonly called "bitter", its usually much more
heavily hopped than lager.

On the original question. Yes. Beer is supposed to be bitter. The
only beers that aren't a

Belgian Lambics - which are sour

Dreadfull watery brews like "Bud" (the American, not the Czec version)
etc. But here you're better off with Perrier.

Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

"er..in the UK ale is commonly called "bitter", its usually much more
heavily hopped than lager. "

Did you click his links? You probably should click them before
"correcting" him.

Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

Yep - probably should have clicked them before!

Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

On 28 Feb 2006 02:06:48 -0800, "Toffeeman" >
wrote:

>"Or you might like an ale..."
>
>er..in the UK ale is commonly called "bitter", its usually much more
>heavily hopped than lager.

A good bitter is properly balanced.

>On the original question. Yes. Beer is supposed to be bitter. The
>only beers that aren't a
>
>Belgian Lambics - which are sour
>
>Dreadfull watery brews like "Bud" (the American, not the Czec version)
>etc. But here you're better off with Perrier.

And Scottish ales which are heavily malty.

German beers are nicely balanced.

American lagers are more dry than bitter.

Phil
======
visit the New York City Homebrewers Guild website:
http://www.hbd.org/nychg
Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

Try New Zealand Steinlager

Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

"Phil" > schreef in bericht
> On 28 Feb 2006 02:06:48 -0800, "Toffeeman" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Or you might like an ale..."
>>
>>er..in the UK ale is commonly called "bitter", its usually much more
>>heavily hopped than lager.

> A good bitter is properly balanced.
>

>>On the original question. Yes. Beer is supposed to be bitter. The
>>only beers that aren't a
>>
>>Belgian Lambics - which are sour
>>
>>Dreadfull watery brews like "Bud" (the American, not the Czec version)
>>etc. But here you're better off with Perrier.

> And Scottish ales which are heavily malty.
>
> German beers are nicely balanced.
>
> American lagers are more dry than bitter.

And Guinness - sorry, Guines - is very heavy, I suppose?
God, generalisations!

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

asdf a écrit :

>all the beers that I'm trying are tasting really bitter.
>Just as a few examples: amstel, heineken, guinness.
>Are there any beers out there that taste good?

Define "taste good", please.

Basically, bitterness is what most decent beers are about.

So if you idea of "taste good" can't include bitterness... well, come
back in ten year's time, your tastebuds may hav eevolved then.

--
Warning : you may encounter French language beyond this point.

Je cherche mon petit Liré...
(F'murrr)

Laurent Mousson, Berne, Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

Or burned off a mess of taste buds. I remember reading once that we are
born with thousands of them, and average about THREE in old age (bitterness
is sensed on the tongue). I have one relative who serves the cheapest
bordeaux from warehouse outlets, and half the guests, especially the young
ones, are keeling over with puckered faces and once they've crawled back to
their seats won't even attempt a second sip of these "walls of tannin" with
no possible penetration of any other flavors, but he and an equally elderly
relative are remarking about how quite nice the wine is, and writing down
the label.

Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

You can always brew your own.

"asdf" > wrote in message ...
> all the beers that I'm trying are tasting really bitter.
> Just as a few examples: amstel, heineken, guinness.
> Are there any beers out there that taste good?
> thanx

Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

grab a Schabenbrau, probably spelled wrong (sic), that's a good ol'
German beer.

Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

> schreef in bericht
oups.com...
> Guinness is NOT heavy for chrissake. Why do you think is floats on
> Harp? It's dark. Yes. Stout is dark. Can we all move along now?

sarcasm

. noun the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

- ORIGIN Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein 'tear flesh', later 'gnash the
teeth, speak bitterly'.