Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
grifty

Default Worst Winter Beers (So Far)

I'm trying one right now called Weyerbacher Winter Ale. Nice label w/ a
snowman but the beer has a bitter taste, almost like a bad light beer
and no outstanding trait except unpleasant.

Any more so far? I'm wondering about the Sam Adams Winter mixer 12 pack.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
jazzkid

ive always like sam adams winter lager...its a nice malty strong
ale...but the mixer is just 2 of every kind...i like sammy cream stout
and octoberfest as well. we got beer up here in Maine
by Gearys called Hampshire Ale...7.9% it was a winter ale that was so
popular that they made it year round.
i havent tried the weyerbacher...i do remember liking their wheat
beer..
im writing an artical on beer now and ill soon be adding my favorite
beers now im done the intro section...ill be sure to add some winters
in there.
http://minstrelsculinaryendeavors.blogspot.com/
Samual Smith Winter Welcome is an excellent nut brown ale if you can
afford the price (4$ a bottle 20oz)\

i take it your in the PA area? Stoudts brewery always has some good
stuff

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

"jazzkid" > wrote in message
> ive always like sam adams winter lager...its a nice malty strong
> ale...but the mixer is just 2 of every kind...i like sammy cream stout
> and octoberfest as well. we got beer up here in Maine
> by Gearys called Hampshire Ale...7.9% it was a winter ale that was so
> popular that they made it year round.
> i havent tried the weyerbacher...i do remember liking their wheat
> beer..
> im writing an artical on beer now and ill soon be adding my favorite
> beers now im done the intro section...ill be sure to add some winters
> in there.
> http://minstrelsculinaryendeavors.blogspot.com/

Yeah... You guys should go there to read stuff like this:

When you visit a brew pub, it is usually ales that they are brewing. There
are Stouts and Porters (both black beers often with coffee overtones) IPA
(Indian pale ales get their name because Britain had to use extra HOPS, a
natural preservative, to help it survive the long boat journeys from England
to India) Pale Ales, Amber Ales (which are more color characteristics than
flavor)......and many countries produces flavors of both Lagers and Ales of
the same style that tastes ENTIRELY different depending on the ingredients.
The Belgians for instance take great pride in isolating their own yeast
strains that give Belgian beer its distinctive flavor. Their fruit beers
(called LAMBICS) are left to the wild yeasts in the open air that can only
be produced from the specific region of Belgium and limited areas of France.
the beers are the true 'champagne' of beers as they taste like fresh fruit
soda and often has a sourish flavor.!! The Belgian strong ales are called
DUBBEL, TRIPPEL and sometimes even QUADRUPPELS!!(referring to their strength
and malt)The Belgian Monks drink these strong 'Abbey ales' as liquid bread
while fasting.Fruit beers in the U.S taste different than other countries
because the (I have heard..) FDA passed a law that U.S. commercial breweries
had to use fruit syrups/extracts instead of fresh fruit...im still looking
for a source for this..

Amazing what you can learn on the Web.

--
Lew Bryson

"GOOD or SHITE?" -- Michael Jackson, "Thriller", 1982
www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Randal

>>ive always like sam adams winter lager...its a nice malty strong ale...

Haha - so is it an ale or a lager?

>>Samual Smith Winter Welcome is an excellent nut brown ale if you can
>>afford the price (4$ a bottle 20oz)

Well, I don't think Winter Welcome is a nut brown ale - I think they
classify it as a winter warmer.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Dan Iwerks

"Randal" > though dead, wrapped in plastic, said
oups.com:

>>>ive always like sam adams winter lager...its a nice malty strong
>>>ale...

> Haha - so is it an ale or a lager?
>
>>>Samual Smith Winter Welcome is an excellent nut brown ale if you can
>>>afford the price (4$ a bottle 20oz)

> Well, I don't think Winter Welcome is a nut brown ale - I think they
> classify it as a winter warmer.

Also, it's notorious for being lightstruck, thanks to those stupid clear
bottles. I gave up on it, because it was always nasty and skunky. --
Dan Iwerks is to be replaced by Dan Iwerks 2, Electric Boogaloo.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

Lew Bryson wrote:

> "jazzkid" > wrote in message

>>http://minstrelsculinaryendeavors.blogspot.com/

> Yeah... You guys should go there to read stuff like ...

I liked this one:

"The Budweiser recipe in fact was stolen (minus the corn!) from a very
popular Czech beer with the same name."

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joris Pattyn

"Lew Bryson" > pende neer:
> Amazing what you can learn on the Web.

Ah! That explains it.
JPP

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Alexander D. Mitchell IV

> ive always like sam adams winter lager...its a nice malty strong
> ale...but the mixer is just 2 of every kind...i like sammy cream stout
> and octoberfest as well. we got beer up here in Maine
> by Gearys called Hampshire Ale...7.9% it was a winter ale that was so
> popular that they made it year round.
> i havent tried the weyerbacher...i do remember liking their wheat
> beer..
> im writing an artical on beer now and ill soon be adding my favorite
> beers now im done the intro section...ill be sure to add some winters
> in there.

I truly pity any editor who gets your "artical".

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote in message
>> ive always like sam adams winter lager...its a nice malty strong
>> ale...but the mixer is just 2 of every kind...i like sammy cream stout
>> and octoberfest as well. we got beer up here in Maine
>> by Gearys called Hampshire Ale...7.9% it was a winter ale that was so
>> popular that they made it year round.
>> i havent tried the weyerbacher...i do remember liking their wheat
>> beer..
>> im writing an artical on beer now and ill soon be adding my favorite
>> beers now im done the intro section...ill be sure to add some winters
>> in there.

> I truly pity any editor who gets your "artical".

Blogger. He's his OWN editor. Lucky for both of them.

--
Lew Bryson

"As for talking shit in this NG, Lew, you're the undisputed king, and
that's no SHITE." -- Bob Skilnik, 1/31/02

www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Alexander D. Mitchell IV

> Blogger. He's his OWN editor. Lucky for both of them.

And lucky for us that we won't accidentally blunder into such a ramble in a
forum where it might pose as literate, competent thought.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joel

Dan Iwerks > wrote:

>> Well, I don't think Winter Welcome is a nut brown ale - I think they
>> classify it as a winter warmer.

>Also, it's notorious for being lightstruck, thanks to those stupid clear
>bottles. I gave up on it, because it was always nasty and skunky.

Me too!!!1!!11!

Seriously, it's been years since I've had a good one,
and I do try one every few years.
--
Joel Plutchak "Eat everything. Have fun." - Julia Child.
plutchak at [...]
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
The Submarine Captain

Dan Iwerks a écrit :

>Also, it's notorious for being lightstruck, thanks to those stupid clear
>bottles. I gave up on it, because it was always nasty and skunky. --

Right, so it's not just the batches exported to Switzerland that are
sunstruck...

At the minute I'm sipping a Young's Christmas Pudding Ale.
Surprisingly pleasant, not too thick, sweet or strong but quite intense
for its strength (5.5% ABV), and the yuletide flavours used venture away
from the beaten track : marzipan, coconut, some dried fruit (prunes, and
the like), on top of pretty subdued (but subtle) spices.
The general impression is it's "glowing inside", tough I suspect you
have to be in the mood for it.

So I wouldn't put that one in the "worst" list, for one.

Cheers !

Laurent

--
Warning : you may encounter French language beyond this point.

Vil exploiteur, Exclavagixte !
(F'murrr)

Laurent Mousson, Berne, Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Becker

I've had, knock on wood, pretty good luck with the WW.

"Dan Iwerks" > wrote in message
> "Randal" > though dead, wrapped in plastic, said
> oups.com:

>> Haha - so is it an ale or a lager?

>> Well, I don't think Winter Welcome is a nut brown ale - I think they
>> classify it as a winter warmer.

> Also, it's notorious for being lightstruck, thanks to those stupid clear
> bottles. I gave up on it, because it was always nasty and skunky. --
> ************************************************** ***************
> Dan Iwerks is to be replaced by Dan Iwerks 2, Electric Boogaloo.
> The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
> responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
> ************************************************** ***************

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Dan Iwerks

The Submarine Captain > though dead, wrapped
in plastic, said :

> Dan Iwerks a écrit :
>
>>Also, it's notorious for being lightstruck, thanks to those stupid
>>clear bottles. I gave up on it, because it was always nasty and
>>skunky. --
>>

> Right, so it's not just the batches exported to Switzerland that are
> sunstruck...
>
> At the minute I'm sipping a Young's Christmas Pudding Ale.
> Surprisingly pleasant, not too thick, sweet or strong but quite
> intense for its strength (5.5% ABV), and the yuletide flavours used
> venture away from the beaten track : marzipan, coconut, some dried
> fruit (prunes, and the like), on top of pretty subdued (but subtle)
> spices. The general impression is it's "glowing inside", tough I
> suspect you have to be in the mood for it.
>
> So I wouldn't put that one in the "worst" list, for one.

Haven't tried that one yet, sounds reasonably interesting. I'm fonder
of Young's Winter Warmer than most people I know, it's a glass of
liquidized toffee and butterscotch. Me like.

As for Samuel Smith's, I've given up. I doubt I'll ever buy one of
their beers again. --
Dan Iwerks is to be replaced by Dan Iwerks 2, Electric Boogaloo.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
The Submarine Captain

Dan Iwerks a écrit :

>Haven't tried that one yet, sounds reasonably interesting. I'm fonder
>of Young's Winter Warmer than most people I know, it's a glass of
>liquidized toffee and butterscotch. Me like.

Me too, very nice example of a spice-free Xmas beer, and at a reasonable
alcohol contents level too !

--
Warning : you may encounter French language beyond this point.

Battez-vous, égorgez-vous, nous gardons vos sous.
(F'murrr)

Laurent Mousson, Berne, Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
jazzkid

my, my i didnt realize how many know-it-all snobs are in this group!!
in my blog i gave an email addy for any opinions and corrections,
but i guess you opted to blasting openly instead....

as for the accident of calling the winter lager and ale..well...
i imagine you're one of the people who blasts people for
misssssppeelllling words as well...
for the bud coment, i corrected (happily) that its rice they use
and the name that was stolen
(i must have mistken that from the fact that ALOT of homebrewers use
corn sugar while bottling.

sorry for calling sammy smiths winter warmer a nut brown..god forbid,
but as the definition or winter warmer is VERY loose..
it CAN be BOTH a nut brown (which it is!) and a winter warmer.
though i do love fullers old winter ale (oH SORRY!! thats not a winter
WARMER!)

sorry for you poor suburbanites who get the skunked sammys,
ive always lived in the city and rarely get a skunked sammy
i still think sammys Oatmeal Stout is an excellent stout..
one of the best next to Brooklyns Black Choc. Stout
and the one and only Guiness Extra Stout.

and now that im thinking about it, i DONT like weyerbachers wheat
beer..
i remember it being bland and flavorless..almost like a pilsner with a
faint wheat flavor.

the article is to educate the average uneducated consumer,
not to dispute it with know it all beer snobs.
if anybody has CONSTRUCTIVE critisizm, just tell me, dont through out
yer
hollier than though ****ed off slams..corrections? always welcome as it
says on the web
page....just please make sure to play nice and give references so i
know its not just an
opinion....you know what they say about opinions right!!

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Dan Iwerks

"jazzkid" > though dead, wrapped in plastic, said
ups.com:

> my, my i didnt realize how many know-it-all snobs are in this group!!
> in my blog i gave an email addy for any opinions and corrections,
> but i guess you opted to blasting openly instead....

Gee, a blog and I missed it. Call me crazy, but I'm just not into the
blog revolution. I see no reason why I should think that people are
going to want regular updates of what I'm thinking or, for that matter,
why I should give even the vaguest shit about what a vaguely literate
twit like you thinks. I don't read blogs. Any of them. I prefer to
leave pseudo-intellectual masturbation to Usenet, where it truly belongs.

> sorry for calling sammy smiths winter warmer a nut brown..god forbid,
> but as the definition or winter warmer is VERY loose..
> it CAN be BOTH a nut brown (which it is!) and a winter warmer.
> though i do love fullers old winter ale (oH SORRY!! thats not a winter
> WARMER!)

Um . . . sure. It's a nut brown ale. I mean, it's never referred to
that way or recall it tasting like one and, while there's no real hard-
and-fast definition of what a "nut brown ale" is, the fact that some
asshole who thinks the world cares about his stupid-ass opinions of beer
believes that it's a "nut brown ale" has convinced me. Nut brown it is.

> sorry for you poor suburbanites who get the skunked sammys,
> ive always lived in the city and rarely get a skunked sammy

Um, yeah, because it takes so long for beer to make its way out to those
far-out suburbs. Yes, five miles outside the city is just enough time
for beer to skunk. Damn those distributors who send their beer out on
sloth-pulled trolleys whilst the beer is shamefully baked under heat
lamps! Oh, the tragedy.

I mean, I recently moved from the DC area where there's one decent bottle
shop in the District and a whole bunch in those poor suburbs, and here in
the Twin Cities the really good bottle shops are *gasp* all in the
suburbs. I mean, the fifteen minutes it takes me to get to downtown St.
Paul is one thing, but I'm pretty sure beer moves around here via
dogsled. Slow enough in winter, but boy, in summer those dogs just can't
pull over the grass worth a shit.

> i still think sammys Oatmeal Stout is an excellent stout..
> one of the best next to Brooklyns Black Choc. Stout
> and the one and only Guiness Extra Stout.

Yeah, and those are all so incredibly similar to each other. Good
measure of comparison there.

> the article is to educate the average uneducated consumer,
> not to dispute it with know it all beer snobs.
> if anybody has CONSTRUCTIVE critisizm, just tell me,

You are a complete and utter dumbshit.

That was the constructive version.

> dont through out yer
> hollier than though ****ed off slams..corrections? always welcome as it
> says on the web
> page....just please make sure to play nice and give references so i
> know its not just an
> opinion....you know what they say about opinions right!!

Yes, yes, I'm going to go to your site to up your hit count and thereby
help you increase whatever self-esteem you gain from having strangers
read about your thoughts. Gosh, sounds like fun.

You are a moron. Reference--rec.food.drink.beer.
Dan Iwerks is to be replaced by Dan Iwerks 2, Electric Boogaloo.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

jazzkid wrote:

> and the one and only Guiness Extra Stout.

Which "one and only" Guinness Extra Stout are you referring to? The
"real" version from Ireland, the contract-brewed one from Labatt that we
get in the US or some other brew?

(Sorry, just couldn't help it...).

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Douglas W. Hoyt

As a 10-year veteran of Usenet, I thank you for your kind acknowledgment.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Randal

>>as for the accident of calling the winter lager and ale..well...
>>i imagine you're one of the people who blasts people for
>>misssssppeelllling words as well...

Yeah that's me alright.

You seem to think you are being corrected because of minutiae, when in
reality - where do I begin? - you have broad swaths of inaccuracies,
falsehoods, half-understood explanations and probably an urban legend
or two wrapped up in there.

Say, I sure do like that Bock beer, but I am little worried because I
hear it comes from the bottom of the tanks which never get cleaned. In
your experience, do I have anything to be concerned about? Thanks!

_Randal

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Douglas W. Hoyt

>>>the article is to educate the average uneducated consumer...

They read?

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Douglas W. Hoyt

Only one so far, is the best so far--because it seems to have semi-BAILED as
a "winter" beer: SNCA.

It is the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale ueber-hopped. It is not dark, it is not
murky, it is not spiced. It is a knockout mega-pale, with all the dappling
floral freshness of the Dogfish Head 90-minute.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

"jazzkid" > wrote in message
> my, my i didnt realize how many know-it-all snobs are in this group!!

See, if you'd read the NG for a while before commenting, like USENETtiquette
recommends, you'd have KNOWN how many of us know-it-all snobs there were.
Let that be a lesson to you.

> in my blog i gave an email addy for any opinions and corrections,
> but i guess you opted to blasting openly instead....

You come to the NG, you post on the NG, you take your licks on the NG. What
do we owe your blog?

> as for the accident of calling the winter lager and ale..well...
> i imagine you're one of the people who blasts people for
> misssssppeelllling words as well...

Seems a bit more solid than that.

> for the bud coment, i corrected (happily) that its rice they use
> and the name that was stolen
> (i must have mistken that from the fact that ALOT of homebrewers use
> corn sugar while bottling.

Sure. Anheuser-Busch IS just a big homebrewer. You should go to St. Louis
sometime and see all the 5-gallon carboys they use, it's just fecking
amazing.

> the article is to educate the average uneducated consumer,
> not to dispute it with know it all beer snobs.

1. You're doing the average uneducated consumer no favors.
2. Once again: YOU came HERE. Disputing with know-it-all beer snobs is all
we do, and we're damned good at it. After fifteen years, we oughta be.

> if anybody has CONSTRUCTIVE critisizm, just tell me, dont through out
> yer
> hollier than though ****ed off slams..corrections? always welcome as it
> says on the web
> page....just please make sure to play nice and give references so i
> know its not just an
> opinion....you know what they say about opinions right!!

Constructive criticism. You mean where we make suggestions on how to improve
your "artical"? Okay, here's some.
Use punctuation, it really does help people to read your writing.
Use a spell-checker; plenty of programs have them; they help, too.
Organize your thoughts a LOT more; once again, makes it easier to read, and
if you're truly interested in educating the average consumer, it makes it
easier for them to learn. A lot easier than if you simply puke what you
think you know all over the screen in any order at all.
If you feel you don't have time for this stuff, why should the reader have
any time for you?

That's all editing, and since I am an editor, I guess I'm my own reference.
If you don't buy that, pick up pretty much any text on journalism.

As for what you said about beer, you really were wrong more often than you
were right. Don't believe everything you hear, don't believe everything you
read. A lot of it's bunkum. For instance, didja know that Budweiser is made
using all whole-flower hops, not pelletized hops or extracts? True, I've
been in the hop stores of two different A-B facilities and seen it. Didja
know that the so-called "real" Czech Budweiser was actually first brewed in
1895, almost 20 years after A-B's Budweiser? True, even the Czechs admit it
(the whole story of what's REALLY gone down with "Budweiser" is a lot more
complicated than almost every account you'll read on the Web).

Fact is, beer's pretty complicated stuff. But it's also just a glass of good
drink. So good that people get pretty passionate about it. I've been very
interested in the beer I'm drinking since 1981: April of 1981. I've made my
living in the beer industry since 1995. And the one thing I know for sure is
that there is ALWAYS more to learn, and there is often room to improve one's
knowledge. And you'll never do that by rushing into a group of people you've
just met and mouthing off about how damned much you know.

It looks like you're just getting excited about beer, maybe a few years into
it. That's great, and I'd hate to dissuade you. I don't mean to. Truth is, I
got smacked around some when I first got here back in 1994. But if you take
advantage of what you can learn here, you can learn a lot. The folks on the
NG know a lot about beer. Use it. Or don't, and write for yourself. Your
call.

--
Lew Bryson

"As for talking shit in this NG, Lew, you're the undisputed king, and
that's no SHITE." -- Bob Skilnik, 1/31/02

www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joel

jazzkid > wrote:
>my, my i didnt realize how many know-it-all snobs are in this group!!
>in my blog i gave an email addy for any opinions and corrections,
>but i guess you opted to blasting openly instead....

You opened the gate by spamming here, dude.
--
Joel Plutchak "Eat everything. Have fun." - Julia Child.
plutchak at [...]

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joel

Lew Bryson > wrote:
>"jazzkid" > wrote:
>> for the bud coment, i corrected (happily) that its rice they use
>> and the name that was stolen
>> (i must have mistken that from the fact that ALOT of homebrewers use
>> corn sugar while bottling.

>Sure. Anheuser-Busch IS just a big homebrewer. You should go to St. Louis
>sometime and see all the 5-gallon carboys they use, it's just fecking
>amazing.

You should see their wooden spoons! And it takes a whole
buttload of teamsters to stir all those 8-gallon enameled
canning pots.

>I've been very interested in the beer I'm drinking since 1981:
>April of 1981.

A mere child, you are.
--
Joel Plutchak "Eat everything. Have fun." - Julia Child.
plutchak at [...]
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Dan Iwerks

See, these sorts of calm and rational responses completely undermine what
Usenet is about. Your politeness shames me, Lew.
Dan Iwerks is to be replaced by Dan Iwerks 2, Electric Boogaloo.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
jazzkid

oooooohh..throwing stones...you guys are hard core.....
i used to be a beer snob...and i HAVE been brewing
beers for 15 years now as a HOME brewer..
ive worked in 3 breweries/friends with the brewers
and yet how much further they went than most of you beer gods out
there.

and hey editor in chief.....its My style of writing..stream of
conciousnes..
all of my readers who sent me positive feedback liked it and understood
it.

my style of writing comes from j.kerouacs stream of conciousness
writing/
similiar to jazz improvisation....why dont you go edit Allen Ginsbergs
'HOWL'
or Kerouac's 'ON THE ROAD' ....but be careful, you might have a
heartattack with
all the gramatical inconsistencies in there...
i wrote the artical in an intoxicated stream of thought,
practicing HTML.....as for spam....what am i selling? nothing..
people have found the links very educational.
you dont like it, you dont wanna hear it...eat shit!

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
jazzkid

ahhem.....where did i say Bud was a homebrewer?
corn HAS been an adjunct in beer since brewers arrived in the u.s.
since it IS a native grain..innocent mistake, burn a cross in my
yard...
You ****ers are the ones who killed jesus!"-h.thompson..

From: "Douglas W. Hoyt" > - Find messages by
this author
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:16:23 -0600
Subject: Worst Winter Beers (So Far)

Only one so far, is the best so far--because it seems to have
semi-BAILED as
a "winter" beer: SNCA.

It is the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale ueber-hopped. It is not dark, it is
not
murky, it is not spiced. It is a knockout mega-pale, with all the
dappling
floral freshness of the Dogfish Head 90-minute.

ahh...i love sierras celebration ale...
but i thought the topic was WORST winter beers?
i would have to throw Harpoons WINTER WARMER
as one of the shitty ones...what a WINTER WARMER..
as for spiced winter beers, the only one ive ever
been particular too is anchor steams christmas ale.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
jazzkid

and i was referring to the one and only Guiness Extra Stout from
Ireland (i believe they sell the same one in Jamaica) but i really like
the u.s Extra Stout as well...
i wasnt comparing the stouts, just relaying some of my favorites.

im not fond of the local Shipyards winter beer either.....
but i DO like Grittys Xmas ale (and not cause i worked there)
we made an xcellent barley coated fried chix sandwich to boot.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

"jazzkid" > wrote in
ups.com:

> oooooohh..throwing stones...you guys are hard core.....

I saw none of that. I saw very little other than reasoned

> i used to be a beer snob...

Huh?

> and i HAVE been brewing
> beers for 15 years now as a HOME brewer..

If we're wagging...I've been brewing at home from grain for 18
years. Your serve.

> ive worked in 3 breweries/friends with the brewers

Ah. "Friends." Blah.

I was joking about this with Brian of Telegraph Brewing at the
recent LA County Fair commercial beer competition (Hey Lew you
****ing asshole son of a what I'm certain is a lovely, wonderful
woman - come out next year, I'll pay your airfare (honest offer,
no shit). Hell, they let Dingus McAngus McJackson judge,
they'll probably break out the Nubians to carry you in on a
velvet couch.) I've seen more than a few homebrew competitions
where the "grand prize" is "A Day With the Brewer." Spend a
vacation day and haul your stinking ass into any brewpub and
offer to spend a day helping the brewer. They will fall over
themselves. They will feed you. They will get you drunk. You
will go home with at least one growler. But. You will shovel
grain. You will hose things off. You will work and work hard.

> and yet how much further they went than most of you beer
> gods out there.

Guessing not. Just a guess. Please define "further."

> and hey editor in chief.....its My style of writing..stream
> of conciousnes..
> all of my readers who sent me positive feedback liked it
> and understood it.

You CANNOT be that stupid. Nobody is that clueless, are they?
"Everyone who agrees with me agrees with me." That is in fact
what you are saying.

> my style of writing comes from j.kerouacs stream of
> conciousness writing/
> similiar to jazz improvisation....

I get it. You're an artist. Apologies. My mistake.

> why dont you go edit
> Allen Ginsbergs 'HOWL'
> or Kerouac's 'ON THE ROAD'

Because they are genius and you're not?

> i wrote the artical in an intoxicated stream of thought,

There you go. That should have been the first, last, and only
thing you said in response to the criticism you received. No
sarcasm intended. Welcome to the group. What's your name
again?

Scott Kaczorowski
Long Beach, CA
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Dan Iwerks

"jazzkid" > though dead, wrapped in plastic, said
ups.com:

> oooooohh..throwing stones...you guys are hard core.....
> i used to be a beer snob...and i HAVE been brewing
> beers for 15 years now as a HOME brewer..
> ive worked in 3 breweries/friends with the brewers
> and yet how much further they went than most of you beer gods out
> there.

I'm not being a beer snob. I'm being a "good lord, another moron wants
me to look at what he thinks" snob. I would have actually guessed you
were about fifteen, personally.

> and hey editor in chief.....its My style of writing..stream of
> conciousnes..
> all of my readers who sent me positive feedback liked it and understood
> it.
>
> my style of writing comes from j.kerouacs stream of conciousness
> writing/
> similiar to jazz improvisation....why dont you go edit Allen Ginsbergs
> 'HOWL'
> or Kerouac's 'ON THE ROAD' ....but be careful, you might have a
> heartattack with
> all the gramatical inconsistencies in there...

No, you didn't. Your writing style is not vaguely akin to Kerouac or
Ginsberg. One of the things in particular I loathe about those two
writers and that entire movement is that people think that since Ginsberg
could write free verse poetry that it means that any moron with access to
a pen or keyboard can do the same thing. Shitty writing is shitty
writing, regardless of whose literary legacy your *******izing at the
time. People like your writing style because it helps validate their own
shitty writing, like a bunch of teenagers praising each other's mopey
poetry about how the world just doesn't understand them. Kerouac's
writing was rhythmic and structured in its own way and wasn't just some
dork throwing misspelled words onto a page and proclaiming himself to be
a writer.

"It is not my fault that crtain so-called bohemian elements have found in
my writings something to hang their peculiar beatnik theories on."--Jack
Kerouac.

> i wrote the artical in an intoxicated stream of thought,
> practicing HTML.....as for spam....what am i selling? nothing..
> people have found the links very educational.
> you dont like it, you dont wanna hear it...eat shit!

Great, you were drunk and trying to figure out what you were doing.
Gosh, in that case, I retract. I want to be the subject of your
intoxicated self-education.
Dan Iwerks is to be replaced by Dan Iwerks 2, Electric Boogaloo.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joris Pattyn

>> my style of writing comes from j.kerouacs stream of conciousness
>> writing/
>> similiar to jazz improvisation....why dont you go edit Allen Ginsbergs
>> 'HOWL'
>> or Kerouac's 'ON THE ROAD' ....but be careful, you might have a
>> heartattack with
>> all the gramatical inconsistencies in there...

> No, you didn't. Your writing style is not vaguely akin to Kerouac or
> Ginsberg. One of the things in particular I loathe about those two
> writers and that entire movement is that people think that since Ginsberg
> could write free verse poetry that it means that any moron with access to
> a pen or keyboard can do the same thing. Shitty writing is shitty
> writing, regardless of whose literary legacy your *******izing at the
> time. People like your writing style because it helps validate their own
> shitty writing, like a bunch of teenagers praising each other's mopey
> poetry about how the world just doesn't understand them. Kerouac's
> writing was rhythmic and structured in its own way and wasn't just some
> dork throwing misspelled words onto a page and proclaiming himself to be
> a writer.
>
> "It is not my fault that crtain so-called bohemian elements have found in
> my writings something to hang their peculiar beatnik theories on."--Jack
> Kerouac.

Ay, Dan. Another promessing ununderstood young artist, nipped in the bud by
a harsh, material world. You ought to be ashamed of your success. ;^}
Joris

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

If we throw enough stones, will you shut up and go the hell away?

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
jazzkid

I've been very interested in the beer I'm drinking since 1981:
>April of 1981.

" A mere child, you are."

i bet they quite a selection of shitty beers back in 81....
i can only remember sammy adams and sierra being the only decent
domestic beers around....

" Your writing style is not vaguely akin to Kerouac or Ginsberg."
thanks....im not trying to be them.
if you throw enough stones, maybe ill go away......

"Kerouac's
writing was rhythmic and structured in its own way and wasn't just some

dork throwing misspelled words onto a page and proclaiming himself to
be
a writer."
really? you knew him? you knew what he was about ?

keep throwing.....by the way jazz meters while often flow in rhythm
flow in whats called free time....just like me....free
to **** you guys off...and vise versa

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
dgs

jazzkid wrote:

> i bet they quite a selection of shitty beers back in 81....

Anyone with a clue could find the good stuff in 1981 (and before).

> i can only remember sammy adams and sierra being the only decent
> domestic beers around....

Miracle worker, you are. Boston Brewing didn't exist back in 1981,
ergo no "sammy adams."

> " Your writing style is not vaguely akin to Kerouac or Ginsberg."
> thanks....im not trying to be them.

Whoever you're trying to be, you really suck at it.

> if you throw enough stones, maybe ill go away......

Save us the trouble. Just go away.
--
dgs
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Steve Jackson

"jazzkid" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> i bet they quite a selection of shitty beers back in 81....
> i can only remember sammy adams and sierra being the only decent
> domestic beers around....

That's quite a memory you've got there. Sam Adams didn't exist in 1981,
except as a figure in American history books. And unless you lived very,
very close to Chico, CA, or knew someone who was muling bottles back home
for you, you weren't getting much SN then either.

But who cares? Beer dick wagging is so boring, and it's something that every
regular poster around here can do quite well. I could ramble on about how
many countries I've drunk beer in, how many of some of the rarest yet most
desired beers I've consumed, how many years old Westvleteren or Cantillon
I've had, blah blah blah. No one cares. I don't even care, really.

> " Your writing style is not vaguely akin to Kerouac or Ginsberg."
> thanks....im not trying to be them.

Good thing. Because you have a long way to go.

Any moron can not pay attention to spelling, sentence structure, proper
narrative, logic, etc. and claim they're following in the steps of Ginsberg,
cummings, etc. Anyone who thinks what that's what they were about is so
missing what they were about it's beyond funny. They didn't write that way
because they were illiterate; they were subverting language and traditional
structures in very deliberate ways with very deliberate aims. Faulkner
didn't write seven-page sentences because he was a lazy **** who didn't know
how to use a period; he was doing it for very specific reasons.

> keep throwing.....by the way jazz meters while often flow in rhythm
> flow in whats called free time....just like me....free
> to **** you guys off...and vise versa

Even free-form jazz follows a structure and knows and respects the rules of
music. You can't subvert what you haven't first mastered.

But, this isn't a lit or music NG.

Talk beer, don't talk beer. We slap the shit out of each other around here
all the time. Getting ****y and defensive about it is so dull. If you stand
behind what you say and the bumpkin way you say it, then be a man about it
instead of whining.

-Steve

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joel

jazzkid > wrote:
>I've been very interested in the beer I'm drinking since 1981:
>>April of 1981.

>i bet they quite a selection of shitty beers back in 81....
>i can only remember sammy adams and sierra being the only decent
>domestic beers around....

Boston Beer Company (brewer of Samuel Adams beers)
started in 1984.
--
Joel Plutchak "Eat everything. Have fun." - Julia Child.
plutchak at [...]
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Benzel

:
: and hey editor in chief.....its My style of writing..stream of
: conciousnes..
: all of my readers who sent me positive feedback liked it and understood
: it.
:
: my style of writing comes from j.kerouacs stream of conciousness
: writing/
: similiar to jazz improvisation....why dont you go edit Allen Ginsbergs
: 'HOWL'
: or Kerouac's 'ON THE ROAD' ....but be careful, you might have a
: heartattack with
: all the gramatical inconsistencies in there...
: i wrote the artical in an intoxicated stream of thought,
: practicing HTML.....as for spam....what am i selling? nothing..
: people have found the links very educational.
: you dont like it, you dont wanna hear it...eat shit!
:

<plonk>

--
Bill
AT DOT

May well be a bad winter-But a good Stew/Soup Winter Kswck General Cooking 98 05-09-2009 08:08 PM
Speaking of Winter Beers/Ales Joel[_1_] Beer 1 01-12-2007 01:20 PM
The Winter Beers Are Out Already ? !! grifty Beer 1 18-10-2006 06:30 AM
Winter Beers [email protected] Beer 4 11-12-2005 05:56 PM
Saranac 12 Beers of Winter Announced J. Alstrom Beer 0 12-10-2005 01:17 AM