Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Benzel

Default Worst Winter Beers (So Far)

Steve Jackson > wrote:

:You can't subvert what you haven't first mastered.

Man, like, that's seriously F**KING great bumpersticker material. Just
look at it, take a big Zen step and, without trying, erase all the
contextual history of the thread from your mind and look at those words
again.

:You can't subvert what you haven't first mastered.

Now you can see how the care and feeding of trolls and idiots can, and
does, inspire brilliance.

Maybe I'll <unplonk> this kid for a day or two just to see if he
listens.

--
Bill
AT DOT
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Dan Iwerks

"jazzkid" > though dead, wrapped in plastic, said
ups.com:

> "Kerouac's
> writing was rhythmic and structured in its own way and wasn't just some
>
> dork throwing misspelled words onto a page and proclaiming himself to
> be
> a writer."
> really? you knew him? you knew what he was about ?

Yeah, great guy. Had lunch with him last week. He told me to tell you
that he's tired of you shitting on his name and that it takes far more
talent to write well without structure than it does to be more
traditional. Oh, and you don't have the talent.

> keep throwing.....by the way jazz meters while often flow in rhythm
> flow in whats called free time....just like me....free
> to **** you guys off...and vise versa

Yes, they flow in rhythm, with their own internal structure. Believe it
or not, I have actually heard of this "jazz" stuff you speak of. You
have no structure, no style, and no clue. You are a bad writer
attempting to justify his lack of skill under a convenient umbrella of
"free verse". You're not just rambling onto the page. You're ingorant
and uncreative and you don't even have enough talent to be vaguely
derivative of the writers you claim to admire. Go. Away.
Dan Iwerks is to be replaced by Dan Iwerks 2, Electric Boogaloo.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Benzel

Dan Iwerks > wrote:

: You have no structure, no style, and no clue. You are a bad writer
: attempting to justify his lack of skill under a convenient umbrella of
: "free verse". You're not just rambling onto the page. You're ingorant
: and uncreative and you don't even have enough talent to be vaguely
: derivative of the writers you claim to admire. Go. Away.

But Dan, according to your well known and respected .sig this is YOUR
responsibility, not his. Please change your opinion of him so that we
can all benefit. If you were to elevate your opinon of him then he'll
become successful, handsome, rich, famous and talented and we'll all be
able to say "I knew him when...."

Big TIA!!

--
Bill
AT DOT
reply to bbenzel adelphia net
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Alexander D. Mitchell IV

"Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
. ..
> If we throw enough stones, will you shut up and go the hell away?

Stone Brewing? Can I help empty the bottles first, or are we throwing full
ones?

Cone to think of it, I may still have a bottle of Brimstone's Stone Beer in
my basement..............

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote
in :

> "jazzkid" > wrote in message
> oups.com..
> .
>> ahhem.....where did i say Bud was a homebrewer?
>> corn HAS been an adjunct in beer since brewers arrived in
>> the u.s. since it IS a native grain..innocent mistake,
>> burn a cross in my yard...

> Let's point out that not everyone out there abides by the
> German Reinheitsgebot, or Purity Law, of 1516--the one
> widely cited that all German beers must use only water,
> malted barley,

Appended to include "malted grain." Wheat and rye among them.
I'll never understand why they have not yet embraced corn...

> hops, and yeast. Not even the Germans obey
> this any more.

Dang EEC. Or EU. Or whatever it's called. Whatever it is,
it's now voluntary, and many (if not most) German brewers still
follow the Reinhietsgestupid (Protectionist bullshit that meant
and means nothing.)

> And I'm also a homebrewer especially fond of throwing all
> kinds of weird adjuncts in my beers.
> But corn (and corn sugar) gets dissed for particular
> reasons. It's cheap, it adds almost no discernible
> positive attributes to better beer recipes,

I suspect you haven't attempted a PrePro or an Abbey. Or even a
trad Bitter or fruit beer (And **** the rest of you in advance:
I had an Oud Beersel Kriek the other day, and while not
spectacular is was very much enjoyable.) Adjuncts have a
legitimate place in brewing, period.

> and it fuels
> every bad memory of folks' first homebrew, particularly in
> the cases of folks who bought certain cans of extract and
> followed the directions on the can label.

In my experience homebrewing, I have never, once, ever found
adjuncts to contribute to hangovers. Not once. Ever. If this
were so, mead (or wine) would be undrinkable.

In my experience homebrewing, most bad first memories are due to
a buttload of hops. Or a high-grav mess ala Arrogant *******.
Or poor fermentation management.

Joella the 'Chak once said something like: "Color doesn't turn
new beer drinkers away, hops do." That is, Guinness is a good
training-wheels beer, Pliny the Elder is not.

If your homebrew is inducing hangovers, spend the $200 on a
garage fridge and tighter-than-OEM thermostat.

> Insofar as "constructive criticism", I suggest simply "grow
> up". Lew and I get PAID for what we write.

That lends EXTRA SPECIAL weight to your comments.

> (Imagine
> drinking booze and coming out with more money than when you
> started.)

Er, um...how do I put this? Only an asshole would take charity
out of the building. Goes into the tip jar if nothing else.
Me, I admit that I've only come out not paying anything.

> If you are content to slather your "stream of
> consciousness" blather online, far be it from me to stop
> you, but as long as your material is semi-coherent, full of
> misspellings, and riddled with half-truths, don't ever
> expect a positive reception except from those who know even
> less than you do.

Oh. Crap. That makes sense to me. Consider the above friendly
chiding.

Scott Kaczorowski
Long Beach, CA
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joel

Scott Kaczorowski > wrote:
>Joella the 'Chak once said something like: "Color doesn't turn
>new beer drinkers away, hops do." That is, Guinness is a good
>training-wheels beer, Pliny the Elder is not.

Either that was an early conclusion, or you got it
only half right. I think both color and bitterness turn
off inexperienced beer drinkers. I'm convinced I could
serve colored Bud to people and most of them would
think it was robust and high in alcohol. Just like
draught Giuness [sic].

And Guinness *is* a good training wheels beer.
--
Joel Plutchak "Eat everything. Have fun." - Julia Child.
plutchak at [...]
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Steve Jackson

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote in message

> But corn (and corn sugar) gets dissed for particular reasons. It's cheap,
> it adds almost no discernible positive attributes to better beer recipes,

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no. ********. Etc.

Enormous numbers of English bitters are brewed using corn and/or corn sugar.
And they're excellent beers.

The problem is not corn. It's the *proportion* that's the problem in beers
like Miller and Coors (or the crappy kit homebrews you mention).

-Steve

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Alexander D. Mitchell IV

> I suspect you haven't attempted a PrePro or an Abbey. Or even a
> trad Bitter or fruit beer (And **** the rest of you in advance:
> I had an Oud Beersel Kriek the other day, and while not
> spectacular is was very much enjoyable.) Adjuncts have a
> legitimate place in brewing, period.

Let's see............ over in my homebrew rack, there's a peach lambic, a
peach mead, a heavily-spiced Xmas beer, a black-cherry-and-honey stout, a
pumpkin ale (well, technically Blue Hubbard squash), and a future
prickly-pear beer to go with the prickly-pear mead and the honeysuckle
meads............ Oh, and the ciders.

I'm all for adjuncts, personally. But given my personal experiences with
corn/corn sugar as an adjunct, I'd have to be brewing someone else's beers
before I use corn.

>> and it fuels
>> every bad memory of folks' first homebrew, particularly in
>> the cases of folks who bought certain cans of extract and
>> followed the directions on the can label.

> In my experience homebrewing, I have never, once, ever found
> adjuncts to contribute to hangovers. Not once. Ever. If this
> were so, mead (or wine) would be undrinkable.

<snip>

I never said anything about hangovers. What I was referring to was
unpalatable/undrinkable beers--typically with corn sugars, tart and
offensive flavors. And usually, it's the result of someone following
exactly the directions on a can of malt extract, which say something on the
order of "dissolve the contents of this can and four cups of corn sugar in
hot water....."

>> Insofar as "constructive criticism", I suggest simply "grow
>> up". Lew and I get PAID for what we write.

> That lends EXTRA SPECIAL weight to your comments.
>
>> (Imagine
>> drinking booze and coming out with more money than when you
>> started.)

> Er, um...how do I put this? Only an asshole would take charity
> out of the building. Goes into the tip jar if nothing else.
> Me, I admit that I've only come out not paying anything.

* I don't mean "going out drinking and not paying for it". Were any of us
that lucky. I mean going out drinking, writing about the experiences and
news, getting paid for it, and finding that the pay for the writing is more
than you spent for the month on beer.

>> If you are content to slather your "stream of
>> consciousness" blather online, far be it from me to stop
>> you, but as long as your material is semi-coherent, full of
>> misspellings, and riddled with half-truths, don't ever
>> expect a positive reception except from those who know even
>> less than you do.

> Oh. Crap. That makes sense to me. Consider the above friendly
> chiding.

Well............... there may be hope yet.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote
in :

> I'm all for adjuncts, personally. But given my personal
> experiences with corn/corn sugar as an adjunct, I'd have to
> be brewing someone else's beers before I use corn.

I think corn can be used to good effect in brewing. But fair
'nuff.

>> In my experience homebrewing, I have never, once, ever
>> found adjuncts to contribute to hangovers. Not once.
>> Ever. If this were so, mead (or wine) would be
>> undrinkable.
>>

> <snip>
>
> I never said anything about hangovers. What I was
> referring to was unpalatable/undrinkable beers--typically
> with corn sugars, tart and offensive flavors.

I stand by my statement. Hangovers, tartness...all about
mishandling the ferment, not the adjuncts themselves.

How 'bout this: I know personally someone in Ohio who makes
'meads' from nothing but corn syrup from the local grocery.
Corn syrup, water, yeast, and NOTHING more. I don't know how to
make that more clearerer. He has a wall full of blue ribbons
and gold medals and score sheets that say things like "fabulous
honey character!"

Now, I realize this is a (poor) reflection on mead judges, but
the point is: A fermented beverage can be made from nothing
other than what would normally be considered an adjunct and be
considered a good beverage. No tartness, no unpalatableness.

> And usually,
> it's the result of someone following exactly the directions
> on a can of malt extract, which say something on the order
> of "dissolve the contents of this can and four cups of corn
> sugar in hot water....."

I realize you exaggerate for effect, but I've never seen that
recipe or anything like it, not even in an abbey-style.

>>> Insofar as "constructive criticism", I suggest simply
>>> "grow up". Lew and I get PAID for what we write.

>> That lends EXTRA SPECIAL weight to your comments.
>>
>>> (Imagine
>>> drinking booze and coming out with more money than when
>>> you started.)

>> Er, um...how do I put this? Only an asshole would take
>> charity out of the building. Goes into the tip jar if
>> nothing else. Me, I admit that I've only come out not
>> paying anything.

> * I don't mean "going out drinking and not paying for it".
> Were any of us that lucky. I mean going out drinking,
> writing about the experiences and news, getting paid for
> it, and finding that the pay for the writing is more than
> you spent for the month on beer.

That is not what you said. Not even sort of.

>>> If you are content to slather your "stream of
>>> consciousness" blather online, far be it from me to stop
>>> you, but as long as your material is semi-coherent, full
>>> of misspellings, and riddled with half-truths, don't ever
>>> expect a positive reception except from those who know
>>> even less than you do.

>> Oh. Crap. That makes sense to me. Consider the above
>> friendly chiding.
>>

> Well............... there may be hope yet.

Back atcha.

Scott Kaczorowski
Long Beach, CA
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Douglas W. Hoyt

One method is to distill the corn, and age it in a charred oak barrel.
Then after drinking the, um, bourbon, use the barrel to store a kick-ass
barleywine for six months like the one last year at Tyranena brewery in Lake
Mills. The first time I had it, I wondered what on earth I was going to do
with the rest of the $3 pint after drinking the first sip. But then, like a
moth to a flame, I kept going back for more. The barleywine alone is
palate-imploding enough, but the six-month bourbon kick of this product made
the whole experience like being dragged through a swamp full of alligators
and mung-lizards with grain silos exploding left and right while a volcanic
cleft emits half-cooled, half-bubbling quasi-organic substances into the
swampwaters from the center of the earth while the sky is dense with
frenetic tornadic activity mysteriously drawing in vegetal matter, tree
frogs, and foreign primordial essences from the Amazon rain forest. This is
somewhat an understatement of the true depth of the flavor.

Such is a worthwhile use of corn. Tyranena does not have the
bourbon-barrel barleywine this year that I have seen, though.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Alexander D. Mitchell IV

> How 'bout this: I know personally someone in Ohio who makes
> 'meads' from nothing but corn syrup from the local grocery.
> Corn syrup, water, yeast, and NOTHING more. I don't know how to
> make that more clearerer. He has a wall full of blue ribbons
> and gold medals and score sheets that say things like "fabulous
> honey character!"
>
> Now, I realize this is a (poor) reflection on mead judges, but
> the point is: A fermented beverage can be made from nothing
> other than what would normally be considered an adjunct and be
> considered a good beverage. No tartness, no unpalatableness.

*IF this is indeed true, he's committing fraud (either by winning with a
drink that isn't made according to style), or else he's the only one
entering the particular competition. I know mead makers and "judges" that
would probably spot that stuff a mile away. (But boy, have you given me an
idea for a "ringer" for the next nead competition tasting.........)

I am in no way denying that corn a) can make a drinkable, even desirable
fermented drink or b) can be added to beer. What I will stand behind is
saying that a beer using any sizeable quantity of corn sugar or maize is
not likely to win over any serious beer snobs, whether or not they know the
corn is in there or not. I've had some very interesting corn-augmented malt
liquors made by breweries in my area (Dogfish Head's Liquor de Malt and
Ellicott Mills' M.F. Malt Liquor, as two); although they both are enormous
improvements over the Crazy Horse or Colt 45 one finds in the gutters,
they're still both about the last beers I would drink from the respective
breweries.

>> And usually,
>> it's the result of someone following exactly the directions
>> on a can of malt extract, which say something on the order
>> of "dissolve the contents of this can and four cups of corn
>> sugar in hot water....."

> I realize you exaggerate for effect, but I've never seen that
> recipe or anything like it, not even in an abbey-style.

*Okay, granted, I'm not in the homebrew shop right now, but I do just happen
to have three really old (and empty) malt-extract cans from England in my
basement. Technically, the directions were on the little round instruction
sheet they put in under the cap of the can that also held the yeast.

Both the Arkells Strong Bitter and Kellar Premium Lager and the Edme Amber
instructions give two options: two cans for five gallons, or one can and a
quantity of corn sugar. I have friends that made their first homebrews
following the latter instructions; they were universally thin in body,
somewhat acidic and wine/cider-like, maybe they could have been called
"Belgian-style" if one stretched the imagination a bit. Whatever they were,
they were nothing like a bitter, a lager, or a pale ale. One friend was
sloppy in his sanitation, the other two meticulous. And every experienced
brewer that tasted the stuff said the same thing: "You followed the corn
sugar recipe, didn't you? Never do that again; go with the all-malt
extract."

And I myself did the same thing, with the Arkells Strong Bitter. I still
have one last bottle left of it. Wretched stuff. The last two bottles of
the second, all-malt batch should be like old Ballantines IPA, save for the
green glass.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Steve Jackson

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote in message

> What I will stand behind is saying that a beer using any sizeable
> quantity of corn sugar or maize is not likely to win over any serious beer
> snobs, whether or not they know the corn is in there or not.

Well, there's the rub. What's a "sizeable" quantity? Five to 10 percent? If
so, then I guess beer snobs won't really be won over by a lot of English
bitters. Twenty, thirty percent? Then I guess my beer snob friends who've
been quite impressed with various pre-prohibition lagers that contain that
much corn had an off day.

Corn is not inherently flawed, as you continue to imply. It's all in how
it's used, and whether or not there's anything else going on with the beer.
As with any ingredient. About the only ingredient that a beer doesn't suffer
from in excess is barley.

-Steve

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

Default OT homebrew, was Worst Winter Beers (So Far)

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote
in :

>> How 'bout this: I know personally someone in Ohio who
>> makes 'meads' from nothing but corn syrup from the local
>> grocery. Corn syrup, water, yeast, and NOTHING more. I
>> don't know how to make that more clearerer. He has a wall
>> full of blue ribbons and gold medals and score sheets that
>> say things like "fabulous honey character!"
>>
>> Now, I realize this is a (poor) reflection on mead judges,
>> but the point is: A fermented beverage can be made from
>> nothing other than what would normally be considered an
>> adjunct and be considered a good beverage. No tartness,
>> no unpalatableness.

> *IF this is indeed true,

It is.

> he's committing fraud (either by
> winning with a drink that isn't made according to style),
> or else he's the only one entering the particular
> competition.

I agree. The guidelines clearly say: "Honey's gotta be in
there."

> I know mead makers and "judges" that would
> probably spot that stuff a mile away.

Well, I'm a "judge" and I've got recipes in Bees Lees and
I've had it and I'm telling you it is a reasonable facsimile.
I promise you you would be surprised. Maybe not impressed,
but surprised.

There are so many problems with judging, it's difficult to
know where to start...But what often happens is someone who
has little to no experience with a certain style/category
finds themselves sitting at that table. Because of this, I
know homebrewers who don't make very good beer and who can't
enter enough contests. They also have walls full of blue
ribbons and feel this validates their brewing ability. I
feel it means they got lucky through repetition.

> I am in no way denying that corn a) can make a drinkable,
> even desirable fermented drink or b) can be added to beer.
> What I will stand behind is saying that a beer using any
> sizeable quantity of corn sugar or maize is not likely to
> win over any serious beer snobs, whether or not they know
> the corn is in there or not.

I think those two statements are somewhat at odds with each
other (yes, I see the "sizeable"). Adjuncts can make a good
beer; adjuncts cannot make a beer to impress the snobs among
us.

First of all, **** the beer snobs.

Second of all, it seems to me that you are focusing on Miller
and ignoring English Bitter and Tripel.

>>> And usually,
>>> it's the result of someone following exactly the
>>> directions on a can of malt extract, which say something
>>> on the order of "dissolve the contents of this can and
>>> four cups of corn sugar in hot water....."

>> I realize you exaggerate for effect, but I've never seen
>> that recipe or anything like it, not even in an
>> abbey-style.
>>

> *Okay, granted, I'm not in the homebrew shop right now, but
> I do just happen to have three really old (and empty)
> malt-extract cans from England in my basement.
> Technically, the directions were on the little round
> instruction sheet they put in under the cap of the can that
> also held the yeast.
>
> Both the Arkells Strong Bitter and Kellar Premium Lager and
> the Edme Amber

I used Geordie's.

> instructions give two options: two cans for
> five gallons, or one can and a quantity of corn sugar. I
> have friends that made their first homebrews following the
> latter instructions; they were universally thin in body,
> somewhat acidic and wine/cider-like, maybe they could have
> been called "Belgian-style" if one stretched the
> imagination a bit. Whatever they were, they were nothing
> like a bitter, a lager, or a pale ale. One friend was
> sloppy in his sanitation, the other two meticulous. And
> every experienced brewer that tasted the stuff said the
> same thing: "You followed the corn sugar recipe, didn't
> you? Never do that again; go with the all-malt extract."

I've also had that beer. Hell, I've made that beer.

My (actually "our") crowning achievement was something we
ended up calling Romulan Ale. My brew partner and I started
to try to make a light ale (whatever that is) for St. Patty's
circa 1987 using two cans of light Geordie's. There were
three or four dumbasses in the other room going quickly
through two cases of Bud and a six of Guinness and a six of
Bass (as were we). They'd swoop in to the kitchen...we were
just as stupid/impaired as they were...At one point an entire
5lb bag of C&H got dumped into the kettle. At pitching, we
added an entire (1oz?) bottle of green food coloring (you
could taste it in the finished "product"). At the end of the
ferment, the whole mess was pale blue. Go figure. But hence
the name. The stuff was drinkable, but it was thin and
vinous and just nasty.

I do get your point. I do.

The thin-ness comes from the very low amount of
unfermentables contributed by the extract. While the OG may
be within the range of the target beer, the sugar will
ferment completely away and the FG will be nowhere close.
You would get a very similar beer were you to simply use the
one can of extract and leave the sugar out entirely. The
corn sugar in that recipe is meant to make it cheaper, not
equivalent to the two-can recipe. If the argument (not your
argument) is that 2lbs of sugar will yield the same or
similar results to a can of extract...think about it for a
sec. As far as vinous...I think that also comes from the
zero body (and therefore the over-assertion of the bittering
hops in the extract) and/or the crappy yeast that is often
used with these kits. Also, I don't believe there's a
sanitation problem here. These types of beers are almost
always made by rank novices (nothing wrong with that) and are
almost always fermented at a too-high temp. And over-hopped,
and gypsumed/salted ala Papapazian and...just generally
dicked around with.

You can't blame the corn sugar. You just can't. IMO.

Scott Kaczorowski
Long Beach, CA

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

"Steve Jackson" > wrote in

> About the only ingredient that a beer doesn't
> suffer from in excess is barley.

Wheat? Rye? Hops? Candi? So you're buying Arrogant *******
by the case now, right?

You are like a god to me.

Spinster the Prude
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joel

Scott Kaczorowski > wrote:
(Joel) wrote in
:

>> Scott Kaczorowski > wrote:
>>>Joella the 'Chak once said something like: "Color doesn't
>>>turn new beer drinkers away, hops do." That is, Guinness
>>>is a good training-wheels beer, Pliny the Elder is not.

>> Either that was an early conclusion, or you got it
>> only half right.

>Rethinking...You said "color puts new beer drinkers off less
>than high-hop rates."
>
>Closer?

What, you expect me to remember what I think? Fat
chance.

But probably closer. Or even close.
--
Joel Plutchak "Eat everything. Have fun." - Julia Child.
plutchak at [...]
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joel

Steve Jackson > wrote:
>"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote:
>> What I will stand behind is saying that a beer using any sizeable
>> quantity of corn sugar or maize is not likely to win over any serious beer
>> snobs, whether or not they know the corn is in there or not.

>Well, there's the rub. What's a "sizeable" quantity? Five to 10 percent? If
>so, then I guess beer snobs won't really be won over by a lot of English
>bitters. Twenty, thirty percent? Then I guess my beer snob friends who've
>been quite impressed with various pre-prohibition lagers that contain that
>much corn had an off day.
>
>Corn is not inherently flawed, as you continue to imply. It's all in how
>it's used, and whether or not there's anything else going on with the beer.
>As with any ingredient. About the only ingredient that a beer doesn't suffer
>from in excess is barley.

I recently participated in a brew session where a full
*half* the fermentable ingredients by weight (which means
well over half by % fermentable sugars after mashing)
was corn sugar. I was dubious, but have tasted the
resulting beer and it was more than merely drinkable--
it was actually pleasant, and had more flavor than
take-your-pick megabrew.
--
Joel Plutchak "Eat everything. Have fun." - Julia Child.
plutchak at [...]
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Alexander D. Mitchell IV

> My (actually "our") crowning achievement was something we
> ended up calling Romulan Ale. My brew partner and I started
> to try to make a light ale (whatever that is) for St. Patty's
> circa 1987 using two cans of light Geordie's. There were
> three or four dumbasses in the other room going quickly
> through two cases of Bud and a six of Guinness and a six of
> Bass (as were we). They'd swoop in to the kitchen...we were
> just as stupid/impaired as they were...At one point an entire
> 5lb bag of C&H got dumped into the kettle. At pitching, we
> added an entire (1oz?) bottle of green food coloring (you
> could taste it in the finished "product"). At the end of the
> ferment, the whole mess was pale blue. Go figure. But hence
> the name. The stuff was drinkable, but it was thin and
> vinous and just nasty.

So YOU'RE the one.

There's a bottle of Romulan Ale sitting on my friend's beer shelf today
(western suburbs of Baltimore).

The glass of the bottle is stained blue.

Do you need a photo for your collection?

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote
in :

>> My (actually "our") crowning achievement was something we
>> ended up calling Romulan Ale. My brew partner and I
>> started to try to make a light ale (whatever that is) for
>> St. Patty's circa 1987 using two cans of light Geordie's.
>> There were three or four dumbasses in the other room going
>> quickly through two cases of Bud and a six of Guinness and
>> a six of Bass (as were we). They'd swoop in to the
>> kitchen...we were just as stupid/impaired as they
>> were...At one point an entire 5lb bag of C&H got dumped
>> into the kettle. At pitching, we added an entire (1oz?)
>> bottle of green food coloring (you could taste it in the
>> finished "product"). At the end of the ferment, the whole
>> mess was pale blue. Go figure. But hence the name. The
>> stuff was drinkable, but it was thin and vinous and just
>> nasty.
>>

> So YOU'RE the one.

Heh! But no, it was not widely distributed.

> There's a bottle of Romulan Ale sitting on my friend's beer
> shelf today (western suburbs of Baltimore).
>
> The glass of the bottle is stained blue.
>
> Do you need a photo for your collection?

Please. . Please send a pic. My brew partner
at the time is still I of my best friends. We will toast
you.

Spinster McPrude McAsswipe O'Dumbass
Long Beach, CA

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Jon Binkley

Scott Kaczorowski wrote:

> Spinster McPrude McAsswipe O'Dumbass

You forgot "Can't taste malt".

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

"Jon Binkley" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Scott Kaczorowski wrote:
>
>> Spinster McPrude McAsswipe O'Dumbass

> You forgot "Can't taste malt".

Dropping out of the stratosphere, guided by a memory sharper than a herd of
elephants, Binkley delivers beer-grade ordnance on target!

--
Lew Bryson

"As for talking shit in this NG, Lew, you're the undisputed king, and
that's no SHITE." -- Bob Skilnik, 1/31/02

www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

"Jon Binkley" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Scott Kaczorowski wrote:
>
>> Spinster McPrude McAsswipe O'Dumbass

> You forgot "Can't taste malt".

Malt is natural
Malt is good
Not everybody brews with it
But everbody should

Snottie
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
dgs

Jon Binkley wrote:

> Scott Kaczorowski wrote:
>
>>Spinster McPrude McAsswipe O'Dumbass

> You forgot "Can't taste malt".

You have one too many words at the end of that quote.

And Spot forgot "DeNutjob."

Happy Thanksgiving to all you loons out there. Drink up!
--
dgs
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
dgs

Scott Kaczorowski wrote:

> "Steve Jackson" > wrote in
>

>>About the only ingredient that a beer doesn't
>>suffer from in excess is barley.

> Wheat? Rye? Hops? Candi? So you're buying Arrogant *******
> by the case now, right?
>
> You are like a god to me.

Your "god" isn't terribly fond of DFH 120 Minute "IPA," which
suffers from one hell of an excess of barley.

Consistency, foolish hobgoblin, etc. Bow down before your *true*
god, puny one. My eyes will flash red and you will know terror!
--
dgs

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

dgs > wrote in
:

> Scott Kaczorowski wrote:
>
>> "Steve Jackson" > wrote in
>>

>>>About the only ingredient that a beer doesn't
>>>suffer from in excess is barley.

>> Wheat? Rye? Hops? Candi? So you're buying Arrogant
>> ******* by the case now, right?
>>
>> You are like a god to me.

> Your "god" isn't terribly fond of DFH 120 Minute "IPA,"

I've found the 90 Minute to be less than spectacular. One-, or
maybe two-dimensional. But I dare not say that here.

I've not had the 120, but I have had the WWS - a beer even I can
taste the malt in.

> which suffers from one hell of an excess of barley.

"Malted" barley? Is that good?

> Consistency, foolish hobgoblin, etc. Bow down before your
> *true* god, puny one. My eyes will flash red and you will
> know terror!

What can I do to appease you, Oh Greater-than-Jackson? Oh Melkor.
Oh he who is possessive of the Ability to Taste Malt and whose
Penis is Almost too Big to be of Use. What? Huh? Any ideas?

Your Humble, Filthy Douchebag

-- Currently waiting for joint compound to dry and drinking a
Prima Pils. Is the latter fundamentally different from, say,
Budweiser? If so, I don't "get" "it."
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
dgs

Scott Kaczorowski wrote:

> dgs > wrote in
> :
>
>>Your "god" isn't terribly fond of DFH 120 Minute "IPA,"

> I've found the 90 Minute to be less than spectacular. One-, or
> maybe two-dimensional. But I dare not say that here.

IAVB,M.

> I've not had the 120, but I have had the WWS - a beer even I can
> taste the malt in.

For two beers that appear to be made in a similar manner (one assumes
that Sam & co. didn't come up with two entirely separate processes for
making superstrong ales, anyway), they are poles apart in drinkability.
WWS is far more drinkable than the 120, which can be awfully cloying.

>>which suffers from one hell of an excess of barley.

> "Malted" barley? Is that good?

It's *all* good.

>>Consistency, foolish hobgoblin, etc. Bow down before your
>>*true* god, puny one. My eyes will flash red and you will
>>know terror!

> What can I do to appease you, Oh Greater-than-Jackson? Oh Melkor.

Who said anything about "Greater-than-Jackson?" We do not bother
with puny concepts such as "greatness." Personally, I'd rather be
drinkin' something great instead of being someone great.

> Oh he who is possessive of the Ability to Taste Malt and whose
> Penis is Almost too Big to be of Use. What? Huh? Any ideas?

See, here's where your problem might lie. I quit using my penis
to taste malt long ago. Got it shrunk down to manageable size, too.

But that Boss Porter I had with a slab o' St. Louis-stylee ribs last
night was just such a blooming fount o' malt. Really, Spot, Polish
porters: seek 'em out and dig on them, 'cause they're so great and malty
and stuff. Like dark satin on the tongue, they are.

> Your Humble, Filthy Douchebag

Hey, who promoted you to "Douchebag" when my back was turned? Why,
I oughta...

> -- Currently waiting for joint compound to dry and drinking a
> Prima Pils. Is the latter fundamentally different from, say,
> Budweiser? If so, I don't "get" "it."

Only in the sense that "10" is different from, say, "45" or so. But
if you talk to an A-B brewmaster, and yes I did indeed do that recently,
you will learn that all beers that go well past that "10" are, well,
unbalanced. There. I said it. I don't believe it either.

Drying compound joints these days? And here I thought you Just Said No
To Drugs.
--
dgs
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

dgs > wrote in
:

> Scott Kaczorowski wrote:
>
>> "Malted" barley? Is that good?

> It's *all* good.

Um. No. No it's not.

> But that Boss Porter I had with a slab o' St. Louis-stylee
> ribs last night was just such a blooming fount o' malt.
> Really, Spot, Polish porters: seek 'em out and dig on them,
> 'cause they're so great and malty and stuff. Like dark
> satin on the tongue, they are.

I have definitely been remiss on the Baltic Porters. The local
goodbeerlickher store (Morry's) seems to have none any more. I
thought Jackson was full of fungus-infested weasels on crack when
he said Morry's is...experiencing less glory than before. I was
skeptical at first. But, dammit, he's right. ****! ****es me
right off.

>> Your Humble, Filthy Douchebag

> Hey, who promoted you to "Douchebag" when my back was
> turned? Why, I oughta...

Once again you focus on "Douchebag." The rank is still "Filthy."

> Drying compound joints these days?

Greenboard. Kid's clubhouse. A glorified garden shed, but it is
a thing of beauty. I even bought an 8" disco ball for it. 15"
DVD player...nicer carpet than what's in the house...redwood
common (and fly) rafters...and a gorgeous 2x6 ridge beam. The
roof-sheathing and facia (but not the drip edge) are on and the
kids are *right at this very moment* painting the interior (which
I got the finish sanding and priming done by 0800 this morning).
Well...got up at 0600, made coffee...call it 0810.

So there.

Thankyouverymuch.

> And here I thought you Just Said No To Drugs.

Not me. Ethanol is a drug. I prefer Belgian and WestCoastUS
delivery systems (but not necessarily in that order). But you
knew that you great big Teddy bear of a god (to me).

Are you going on The Trip with Dingle****? Bring me sumtin'.
Whouldja? Please?

Snottie Spazorowski
The Beach that is Long, CA

ObCompletelyMaltless: The gib elttob of Lindeman's Framboise
went over *huge* on the Day of Thanks. Not quite huge but still
very, very well appreciated was HotD Fred.
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Becker

I'm not that fond of the Coors Winterfest that I tried last month. Pretty
good balance between the malt and hops but it lacks complexity ie it could
use some spice...like nutmeg.

"grifty" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm trying one right now called Weyerbacher Winter Ale. Nice label w/ a
> snowman but the beer has a bitter taste, almost like a bad light beer
> and no outstanding trait except unpleasant.
>
> Any more so far? I'm wondering about the Sam Adams Winter mixer 12 pack.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
dgs

Scott Kaczorowski wrote:

> dgs > wrote in
> :
>
>>Scott Kaczorowski wrote:
>>
>>>"Malted" barley? Is that good?

>>It's *all* good.

> Um. No. No it's not.

You take that back! Is too!

>>Really, Spot, Polish porters: seek 'em out and dig on them,
>>'cause they're so great and malty and stuff. Like dark
>>satin on the tongue, they are.

> I have definitely been remiss on the Baltic Porters.

They are a manifold pathway into the World o' Malt.

> thought Jackson was full of fungus-infested weasels on crack when
> he said Morry's is...experiencing less glory than before. I was
> skeptical at first. But, dammit, he's right. ****! ****es me
> right off.

Serves you right. Jackson has evolved beyond mere snobbery, as have
many of us. To even question his brain waves on the matter is to
question your value as a beer-drinking sentient being. So mote it be.

>>>Your Humble, Filthy Douchebag

>>Hey, who promoted you to "Douchebag" when my back was
>>turned? Why, I oughta...

> Once again you focus on "Douchebag." The rank is still "Filthy."

I have issues with promoting anyone to "Douchebag," "Filthy" or
otherwise. You can retain your rank for now.

>>Drying compound joints these days?

> Greenboard. Kid's clubhouse.

Y'know, I'm kinda bewildered at your current level of sproggage.
I think I didn't get the memo. What's the sitch here?

>>And here I thought you Just Said No To Drugs.

> Not me.

Thankew, Jeebus.

> Ethanol is a drug. I prefer Belgian and WestCoastUS
> delivery systems (but not necessarily in that order). But you
> knew that you great big Teddy bear of a god (to me).

You really do need to get that Polish Porter thang goin' on, then.
Really worthwhile is what that is.

> Are you going on The Trip with Dingle****? Bring me sumtin'.
> Whouldja? Please?

Er ... who? Where? Ain't planned no trip with no Dingle**** in ...
well, ever, 'cause I don't even know who Dingle**** might be (this
time). Did go to Germany, Poland, and Austria last summer though.
*Loved* Krakow. First beer there was Zywiec Porter. I could do that
again in a heartbeat.

> Snottie Spazorowski
> The Beach that is Long, CA

Is this like that Hungarian Madonna interview? "Hello, friend who is a
girl..."

> ObCompletelyMaltless: The gib elttob of Lindeman's Framboise
> went over *huge* on the Day of Thanks. Not quite huge but still
> very, very well appreciated was HotD Fred.

Not bad. We knocked back a nice bottle of semillon blanc at the T-Day
buffet. Back to beer on Friday - the aforementioned Black Boss with
dinner, and Far West Fat Dubbel and half of a bottle of 10-yo Saison
de Pipaix afterwards. Fat Dubbel: yes, more malt. 10-yo Saison de
Pipaix: cidery, sour, probably the last year of life left, and Herself
appreciated it after a rather sweet glass of "Oud Beersel" Kriek which
actually was nothing more than a kegged version of Boon Kriek. About
as sweet as that Lindemans Framboise. Nice as a kids' drink, but for
grownups... oh, wait, we've been here already, haven't we?
--
dgs

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

dgs > wrote in
:

> Scott Kaczorowski wrote:
>
>> I have definitely been remiss on the Baltic Porters.

> They are a manifold pathway into the World o' Malt.

That's fine. But I apparently can't taste the stuff.

The "remiss" statement was, you know, well, 'cause I'm a Pollack
(capital "P", yes), and I feel an atunemenifestation. No, a
kinship. No, a vague feeling that maybe I should buy products
from distant lands that I'm 3 generations away from. No, a
whirring sound. No, that's not it...

> Serves you right. Jackson has evolved beyond mere
> snobbery, as have many of us. To even question his brain
> waves on the matter is to question your value as a
> beer-drinking sentient being. So mote it be.

God's Eye?

>>>Drying compound joints these days?

>> Greenboard. Kid's clubhouse.

> Y'know, I'm kinda bewildered at your current level of
> sproggage. I think I didn't get the memo. What's the sitch
> here?

Grok sproggage not.

> Did go to Germany,
> Poland, and Austria last summer though.

Oh *shit* that's right! Do tell.

>> The Beach that is Long, CA

> Is this like that Hungarian Madonna interview? "Hello,
> friend who is a girl..."

"Dissatisfied I am."

>> ObCompletelyMaltless: The gib elttob of Lindeman's
>> Framboise
>> went over *huge* on the Day of Thanks. Not quite huge but
>> still very, very well appreciated was HotD Fred.

> Not bad. We knocked back a nice bottle of semillon blanc
> at the T-Day buffet. Back to beer on Friday - the
> aforementioned Black Boss with dinner, and Far West Fat
> Dubbel and half of a bottle of 10-yo Saison de Pipaix
> afterwards. Fat Dubbel: yes, more malt. 10-yo Saison de
> Pipaix: cidery, sour, probably the last year of life left,
> and Herself appreciated it

But did you get lucky?

> after a rather sweet glass of
> "Oud Beersel" Kriek which actually was nothing more than a
> kegged version of Boon Kriek.

A shame, that. I 'bout American Pie'd my pants when I saw the
Oud Beersel Kriek on a shelf near me recently. Silly me hadn't
kept up on the Belgium [sic] Brewing News (or even the
Celebrator FTM).

I was hard-pressed to find that damn horse, but s/he was there.
Not the from-the-brewery-pink-washed experience of yore I was
hoping for.

> About as sweet as that Lindemans Framboise.

The 90yo grandma and the 65yo mommyinlaw thought it was the bees
knees. I hadn't had it in a while and thought it might be a
nice departure from the usual Schramsberg (sp) Blanc de Blanc
(or whatever). I was right.

I was threatened with disownment (a substantial sum and
therefore a threat I will not take lightly) but for a similar
bottle of Peche for Xmas morn.

So **** you.

> Nice as a kids' drink, but for
> grownups... oh, wait, we've been here already, haven't we?

Not really. I over-reacted and shut down what could have been a
useful discussion.

D'oh.

Scott Engles
Long Beach, CA
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

"Scott Kaczorowski" > wrote in message
> dgs > wrote in
>> beer-drinking sentient being. So mote it be.

> God's Eye?

My Lord, a Niven/Pournelle reference on rfdb, and last week a Tim Powers
reference on B**rA*vocate. I'm becoming mainstream...no, strike that.

Still nice to see.

--
Lew Bryson

"GOOD or SHITE?" -- Michael Jackson, "Thriller", 1982
www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Nels E. Satterlund

Lew Bryson wrote:
> "Scott Kaczorowski" > wrote in message
>
>>dgs > wrote in
>>
>>>beer-drinking sentient being. So mote it be.

>>God's Eye?

> My Lord, a Niven/Pournelle reference on rfdb, and last week a Tim Powers
> reference on B**rA*vocate. I'm becoming mainstream...no, strike that.
>
> Still nice to see.

and on the gripping hand ...

Just had to de-lurk to say it.
Haven't found an seasonal beers to my taste this year (11 six packs +
some 22 oz-ers)
Did like the He-Brew and the Rouge (SP?)
So far on the taste list (best I can remember and spelling errors not
withstanding)
Jubale Ale, Winter Hook, Snow Cap, Anderson Valley Winter Soltist, Hoppy
brewing winter something (don't remember it's name, didn't care for it),
Wasail, Snowplow porter, Shipyard Winter ale, Winter Welcome, Widmeirs
Winter Beer (Can't remember it's name), Sudwerks Winter bock and at
least 2-4 other who's names escape me right at the moment.

Nels

--
Nels E Satterlund I don't speak for the company, specially here
<-- Use this address for personal Email
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Nels E. Satterlund

Scott Kaczorowski wrote:
> dgs > wrote in
> :

>>Nice as a kids' drink, but for
>>grownups... oh, wait, we've been here already, haven't we?

> Not really. I over-reacted and shut down what could have been a
> useful discussion.
>
> D'oh.

Did try to get my 18 yr old's impression on this but she was more
interested in being able to play beer snob. Did say she wouldn't drink
warm American (or corona) beer.
Got the "Yeah we know" eye roll when I mentioned empty calories and
extra weight and driving.

Nels

--
Nels E Satterlund I don't speak for the company, specially here
<-- Use this address for personal Email
My Lurkers motto: I read much better and faster, than I type.
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

"Nels E. Satterlund" > wrote in message
> Lew Bryson wrote:
>> "Scott Kaczorowski" > wrote in message
>>>dgs > wrote in

>>>God's Eye?

>> My Lord, a Niven/Pournelle reference on rfdb, and last week a Tim Powers
>> reference on B**rA*vocate. I'm becoming mainstream...no, strike that.
>>
>> Still nice to see.
>>

> and on the gripping hand ...

Well, rape my lizard, another one!

> Just had to de-lurk to say it.

And by God, when you de-lurk, you don't fool around!

--
Lew Bryson

Their clothes are weird, their music sucks and they drink
malternatives. And now you tell me they probably don't think Sierra
Nevada is cool? This is what the passage of years does to you: It
makes everyone around you more stupid. -- Michael Stewart 6/24/02

www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
dgs

Scott Kaczorowski wrote:

> dgs > wrote in
> :
>

>>Scott Kaczorowski wrote:
>>
>>>I have definitely been remiss on the Baltic Porters.

>>They are a manifold pathway into the World o' Malt.

> That's fine. But I apparently can't taste the stuff.

Don't make me come down there and beat some (malt) sense into
you. Not that I would, but don't make me.

> The "remiss" statement was, you know, well, 'cause I'm a Pollack

You're a fish? That would be "Pollock."

>>Serves you right. Jackson has evolved beyond mere
>>snobbery, as have many of us. To even question his brain
>>waves on the matter is to question your value as a
>>beer-drinking sentient being. So mote it be.

> God's Eye?

Listen! The Stars!

>>Y'know, I'm kinda bewildered at your current level of
>>sproggage. I think I didn't get the memo. What's the sitch
>>here?

> Grok sproggage not.

Rugrats. Yoof. Chilluns. Under-18s.

>>Did go to Germany,
>>Poland, and Austria last summer though.

> Oh *shit* that's right! Do tell.

To tell: Koelsch and a little beer festival to start, unfiltered
but GOOD lager at my uncle's birthday party, lunch at a Dortmund
brewpub before flying off to Krakow's Polish beer (lagers unexciting,
porters uniformly excellent), then Berlin's monster International
Beerfestival for just one day (shoulda made it two), then down to
Vienna where beers ranged from UTTER SHITE (infected brewpub stuff) to
FFFFFFFFFGOOD (Ottakringer lagers fresh from the conditioning tanks,
numerous others), then finally to Düsseldorf for much Altbier drinking
with an expat whose posts used to be far more numerous in rfdb.

Told.

>>>The Beach that is Long, CA

>>Is this like that Hungarian Madonna interview? "Hello,
>>friend who is a girl..."

> "Dissatisfied I am."

No, I don't think they were channeling Yoda.

>> 10-yo Saison de
>>Pipaix: cidery, sour, probably the last year of life left,
>>and Herself appreciated it

> But did you get lucky?

I'm *always* lucky. Don't need to "get."

>>after a rather sweet glass of
>>"Oud Beersel" Kriek which actually was nothing more than a
>>kegged version of Boon Kriek.

> A shame, that. I 'bout American Pie'd my pants when I saw the
> Oud Beersel Kriek on a shelf near me recently. Silly me hadn't
> kept up on the Belgium [sic] Brewing News (or even the
> Celebrator FTM).

It's now a Boon label or something. A mere shadow of its former
self, dangnabbit.

> I was hard-pressed to find that damn horse, but s/he was there.
> Not the from-the-brewery-pink-washed experience of yore I was
> hoping for.

No, which was what led us to downing a ten-year-old bottle of
Saison de Pipaix. Guaranteed sourness with that one.

>>About as sweet as that Lindemans Framboise.

> The 90yo grandma and the 65yo mommyinlaw thought it was the bees
> knees. I hadn't had it in a while and thought it might be a
> nice departure from the usual Schramsberg (sp) Blanc de Blanc
> (or whatever). I was right.

Um, yeah. Well, we've now documented that Lindemans Framboise is
a clear winner with the "women past a certain age" demographic.
Next up: Redbach?

> I was threatened with disownment (a substantial sum and
> therefore a threat I will not take lightly) but for a similar
> bottle of Peche for Xmas morn.

Pussy. I quit talking to family years ago. Sanity beats
inheritance in my case.

> So **** you.

And my horse? Mister, don't you have something for my horse?

>>Nice as a kids' drink, but for
>>grownups... oh, wait, we've been here already, haven't we?

> Not really. I over-reacted and shut down what could have been a
> useful discussion.

Gosh, really? How introspective of you. Good thing we're not
discussing (or disgusting) should-have-been-defrocked Catholic
priests or something.
--
dgs
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Nels Satterlund

Lew Bryson wrote:
> "Nels E. Satterlund" > wrote in message

>>>My Lord, a Niven/Pournelle reference on rfdb, and last week a Tim Powers
>>>reference on B**rA*vocate. I'm becoming mainstream...no, strike that.
>>>
>>>Still nice to see.
>>>

>>and on the gripping hand ...

> Well, rape my lizard, another one!
>

>>Just had to de-lurk to say it.

> And by God, when you de-lurk, you don't fool around!

Well the other news group I hangout in is R.A.SF.F rasseff as we call it.

Nels
Drinking a Coast Range Maduro Porter ... not bad, a little light.
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Russ Perry Jr

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote:
> So YOU'RE the one.

Actually, Scott's beer was just a coincidence... The Romulan Ale
you're thinking about was made by some brewery in Mexico.

> There's a bottle of Romulan Ale sitting on my friend's beer shelf
> today [...]
>
> The glass of the bottle is stained blue.

Heh, mine was too. The bluish foam was interesting, but as you
might expect, it tasted a bit crappy.
--
//*================================================= ===============++
|| Russ Perry Jr 2175 S Tonne Dr #114 Arlington Hts IL 60005 ||
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

dgs > wrote in
:

> Scott Kaczorowski wrote:
>
> > dgs > wrote in
> > :

> Don't make me come down there and beat some (malt) sense
> into you. Not that I would, but don't make me.

I dares ya. Double. Pick up Binkley on the way down.

As point of clarification: I've had plenty o' Baltic Porters.
Leastways, those that were available 'round here when they were
all the rage (and rightly so) several years ago. I simply
haven't sought them out recently (no, I don't know why) and
neither have I simply stumbled across them for one of those "oh
yeah!" moments.

> Told.

And what did you bring me? Wait...don't tell me...will I get
nothing and like it?

> >>About as sweet as that Lindemans Framboise.

> > The 90yo grandma and the 65yo mommyinlaw thought it was
> > the bees knees. I hadn't had it in a while and thought
> > it might be a nice departure from the usual Schramsberg
> > (sp) Blanc de Blanc (or whatever). I was right.

> Um, yeah. Well, we've now documented that Lindemans
> Framboise is a clear winner with the "women past a certain
> age" demographic. Next up: Redbach?

Had dinner with some guy last night and we talked about this
very beer and its possible uses. His point was that it should
be viewed as a fruit beer and not a lambic. Mine would be that
beers like this have their place and if it doesn't pass
someone's snob test then, that's fine. But don't tell me I
didn't enjoy this beer or that it's somehow an abomination in
the eyes of Quaffir.

> > I was threatened with disownment (a substantial sum and
> > therefore a threat I will not take lightly) but for a
> > similar bottle of Peche for Xmas morn.

> Pussy. I quit talking to family years ago. Sanity beats
> inheritance in my case.

Two houses in Santa Monica. Two. I'll do hideous, unspeakable
things to remain in favor. But the Lindeman's was/is not one of
them. I hadn't had "it" in a while and found "it" quite
enjoyable.

> > So **** you.

> And my horse?

And your horse. Or goat, sheep, whatever you can get your hands
on.

Spott

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Jon Binkley

Scott Kaczorowski wrote:> dgs > wrote in

> > Don't make me come down there and beat some (malt) sense
> > into you. Not that I would, but don't make me.

> I dares ya. Double. Pick up Binkley on the way down.

Speaking of MALT, I was genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised
recently with the improved quality of bottled Gordon Biersch Märzen.
Not a limp-dick-caramel-malt-poseur any more, but some authentic
German-style MALT flavor. Not quite on par with the real deal,
but certainly on par with, say, Saxer Amber of memory (RIP),
which makes it about the best domestic Amber/Oktoberfest/Märzen
regularly available to me.

Mind you, I'm talking about the bottled stuff from San Jose, not the
variably SHITE-to-GOOD draught versions from any of the ubiquitous,
variably SHITE-to-GOOD GB brew pubs.

ObSubjectLine:

Cheap cases of SNCA at Bay Area Costco's do not suck.

May well be a bad winter-But a good Stew/Soup Winter Kswck General Cooking 98 05-09-2009 08:08 PM
Speaking of Winter Beers/Ales Joel[_1_] Beer 1 01-12-2007 02:20 PM
The Winter Beers Are Out Already ? !! grifty Beer 1 18-10-2006 06:30 AM
Winter Beers [email protected] Beer 4 11-12-2005 06:56 PM
Saranac 12 Beers of Winter Announced J. Alstrom Beer 0 12-10-2005 01:17 AM