Scott T. Jensen

Default Who are the "bad boys" of beer brewing these days?

Which beer(s) are trying to position themselves as "bad boys"? The beer of
the rule-breaker, the fearless, the anti-establishment, and the rebel? For
example, has any beer company (I'm assuming a micro-beer) paid to have
product placements in porn movies? Yes, yes, I know that the concept of
beer and sex is far-fetched and unthinkable, but humor me. ;-) What other
things have these "bad boys" done to try to establish themselves as "bad
boys"? Or are there none? Are all beer companies (micro-brewers included)
going after the Boy Scout image instead?

Scott Jensen
--
Peer-to-peer networking is the entertainment industry's future.
Read the white paper "The P2P Revolution" to learn about it.

Ben

Scott T. Jensen wrote:

> Which beer(s) are trying to position themselves as "bad boys"? The beer of
> the rule-breaker, the fearless, the anti-establishment, and the rebel? For
> example, has any beer company (I'm assuming a micro-beer) paid to have
> product placements in porn movies? Yes, yes, I know that the concept of
> beer and sex is far-fetched and unthinkable, but humor me. ;-) What other
> things have these "bad boys" done to try to establish themselves as "bad
> boys"? Or are there none? Are all beer companies (micro-brewers included)
> going after the Boy Scout image instead?
>
> Scott Jensen

I think Snatch cornered the market with their "Dubbel Penetration"

Um, actually I can't think of any. It does seem ridiculously easy to
come up with good names though. ;-)

Ben

--
Squirting rubbing alcohol up your
nose is rather unpleasant.
Joel

In article >, Scott T. Jensen > wrote:
>Which beer(s) are trying to position themselves as "bad boys"? The beer of
>the rule-breaker, the fearless, the anti-establishment, and the rebel?

There are three that immediately come to mind that
more or less lean that way. Stone Brewing (San Marcos,
CA USA) with its Arrogant ******* "you are not worthy"
shtick, Three Floyd's Brewing (Munster, IN USA) with the
"It's Not Normal" motto and viewpoint, and Flying Dog
(Aspen/Denver, CO USA) with the gonzo label illustrations,
"Good Beer. No Shit" motto, and beer names like "Doggie
Style."
--
Joel Plutchak

"I never let anything as tenuous as moral standards get in the way of
drinking beer." - Jon Binkley in rec.food.drink.beer
Douglas W. Hoyt

Didn't they also have the "Menage A Tripel"?

Bill Benzel

:
: There are three that immediately come to mind that
: more or less lean that way. Stone Brewing (San Marcos,
: CA USA) with its Arrogant ******* "you are not worthy"
: shtick.....

Stone as "bad boys" -- maybe from afar but not so. The "You're not
worthy" bit is not about that at all.

These guys are the single largest money raiser for Surfrider Foundation
annually as a result of their anniversary events as well as a hell of a
lot of other charitable events.

Suggest you have a look at their web site ( http://www.stonebrew.com )
and tell me what you find that portrays them as bad boys.

Do bad boys spend years petitioning the government to make the phrease
"Imperial Russian Stout" acceptable to ATF?

http://www.stonebrew.com/vblog/TTBletterBLURRED.jpg

Locally, Stone's image among average consumers of "good beer" and beer
geeks alike is quite the opposite.

--
Bill
AT DOT

Lew Bryson

"Bill Benzel" > wrote in message news:AyW%e.171$_%
> Suggest you have a look at their web site ( http://www.stonebrew.com )
> and tell me what you find that portrays them as bad boys.
>
> Do bad boys spend years petitioning the government to make the phrease
> "Imperial Russian Stout" acceptable to ATF?
>
> Locally, Stone's image among average consumers of "good beer" and beer
> geeks alike is quite the opposite.

I strongly suspect the OP's question on "breaking rules" and
"anti-establishment" meant the beer geek establishment, and supposed style
category rules, not actual anti-social behavior. I could be wrong...but I
wouldn't bet much on it.

--
Lew Bryson

God Bless America.
"They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither Liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.

Scott T. Jensen

"Lew Bryson" > wrote:
> "Bill Benzel" > wrote:
>> Suggest you have a look at their web site ( http://www.stonebrew.com )
>> and tell me what you find that portrays them as bad boys.
>>
>> Do bad boys spend years petitioning the government to make the
>> phrease "Imperial Russian Stout" acceptable to ATF?
>>
>> Locally, Stone's image among average consumers of "good beer"
>> and beer geeks alike is quite the opposite.

> I strongly suspect the OP's question on "breaking rules" and
> "anti-establishment" meant the beer geek establishment, and supposed
> style category rules, not actual anti-social behavior. I could be
> wrong...but I wouldn't bet much on it.

First, being a "bad boy" doesn't mean you're a blood member of the Hell's
Angels. It means you're what I said in my original post.

And being a rebel means rebelling against the system (as does being
anti-establishment). Their fight against the ATF would qualify for that ...
though that's not exactly an epic struggle. It can mean against the
conformist ways of an industry as well.

And "bad boys" can and do raise donations for causes they believe in. They
don't "just" feed on the living like vampires. *rolls eyes* Think a young
Marlon Brando, James Dean, and such. Being a "bad boy" isn't a put-down but
a compliment. They're exciting and living on the edge. Not tying knots to
earn an establishment's merit badge. ;-)

Scott Jensen
--
Peer-to-peer networking is the entertainment industry's future.
Read the white paper "The P2P Revolution" to learn about it.
http://www.adservius.com/pdf/P2P_Revolution.pdf

Bill Benzel

In rec.food.drink.beer Scott T. Jensen > wrote:
: "Lew Bryson" > wrote:
:> "Bill Benzel" > wrote:
:>> Suggest you have a look at their web site ( http://www.stonebrew.com )
:>> and tell me what you find that portrays them as bad boys.
:>>
:>> Do bad boys spend years petitioning the government to make the
:>> phrease "Imperial Russian Stout" acceptable to ATF?
:>>
:>> Locally, Stone's image among average consumers of "good beer"
:>> and beer geeks alike is quite the opposite.
:>
[...]

Looks like you guys caught me in my own kind of reversed thinking -- to
me rebels are good guys, establishment are bad guys.

Pardon my faux-pas -- while the guys at Stone have not yet paid to place
product in a porn movie (AFAIK) they are definitely "bad to the bone" in
the sense you attribute to it. They also happen to be some of the
finest human beings I've had the opportunity to meet (arrogance
notwithstanding).

-- Bill

AT DOT
reply to bbenzel adelphia net
Joel

Bill Benzel > wrote:
>Stone as "bad boys" -- maybe from afar but not so. The "You're not
>worthy" bit is not about that at all.

Methinks we have different definitions of the term
"bad boys."
--
Joel Plutchak

"I never let anything as tenuous as moral standards get in the way of
drinking beer." - Jon Binkley in rec.food.drink.beer
John S.

Scott T. Jensen wrote:
> Which beer(s) are trying to position themselves as "bad boys"? The beer of
> the rule-breaker, the fearless, the anti-establishment, and the rebel?

I can't conceive of a beer company that would purposely define ar brand
that way. For what purpose...to drive away sales?????

> For
> example, has any beer company (I'm assuming a micro-beer) paid to have
> product placements in porn movies?

Which example were you offering???

Said slightly differently, why would any beer company interested in
making profits for the long term do something so shortsighted...

> Yes, yes, I know that the concept of
> beer and sex is far-fetched and unthinkable, but humor me. ;-)

Yes, that pretty much goes without saying. Remember beer companies are
not like a dying motorcycle company that has to figure out a way to
rebrand it's products or die.

What other
> things have these "bad boys" done to try to establish themselves as "bad
> boys"? Or are there none? Are all beer companies (micro-brewers included)
> going after the Boy Scout image instead?

Sure there are some marginal brewers that use names akin to Dead Black
Toad. The name is usually more interesting than the beer. The bwewers
with staying power usually go for names and branding that appeals to a
broader audience and is less offensive.