Bruce

Default Colonial Williamsburg Tavern???

Just caught a travel show about Colonial Williamsburg. They mentioned
that everything recreated there is true to the period including the
tavern. Does this mean they are serving the types of ale available in
the colonies at the time of Revolution and dispensed correctly for the
time? Does anyone know? Might be an interesting beer trip if the ale
and method of dispensing are recreated.

Bruce
vincent p. norris

>Just caught a travel show about Colonial Williamsburg. They mentioned
>that everything recreated there is true to the period including the
>tavern.

I can't vouch for that, but I can tell you that many millions of J.D.
Rockefeller's dollars were spent, and extreme care was taken, by
archaeologists, historians, etc., to make the restoration as accurate
as humanly possible.

>Does this mean they are serving the types of ale available in
>the colonies at the time of Revolution and dispensed correctly for the
>time?

Don't know about that, either. I flew my little puddle jumper in and
planned to fly out later, so it was tea for me. IIRC, Tom Jefferson,
Pat Henry and that crowd drank tankards of rum, not ale. Men were men
in those days.

> Might be an interesting beer trip if the ale and method of dispensing are recreated.

It is a hell of an interesting trip even if you have to drink (Retch!)
bud or millers. It's a fantastic place. I've been there half a dozen
times, and am ready to return.

vince norris
dgs

Bruce wrote:

> Just caught a travel show about Colonial Williamsburg. They mentioned
> that everything recreated there is true to the period including the
> tavern. Does this mean they are serving the types of ale available in
> the colonies at the time of Revolution and dispensed correctly for the
> time?

No, they don't go quite that far. I think the closest you'll come to
something like that are the Yards ales brewed for a colonial-style
restaurant in downtown Philadelphia, but that's obviously not anywhere
near Williamsburg.

> Does anyone know? Might be an interesting beer trip if the ale
> and method of dispensing are recreated.

They aren't. The best you can do for beer in Williamsburg is to
walk to a more commercial part of town and park your arse at the
Green Leaf, where a pretty good selection of microbrews are on offer,
but they're all keg - none of them are cask-conditioned.
--
dgs

Lew Bryson

"dgs" > wrote in message
> Bruce wrote:
>
>> Just caught a travel show about Colonial Williamsburg. They mentioned
>> that everything recreated there is true to the period including the
>> tavern. Does this mean they are serving the types of ale available in
>> the colonies at the time of Revolution and dispensed correctly for the
>> time?

> No, they don't go quite that far. I think the closest you'll come to
> something like that are the Yards ales brewed for a colonial-style
> restaurant in downtown Philadelphia, but that's obviously not anywhere
> near Williamsburg.
>
>> Does anyone know? Might be an interesting beer trip if the ale
>> and method of dispensing are recreated.

> They aren't. The best you can do for beer in Williamsburg is to
> walk to a more commercial part of town and park your arse at the
> Green Leaf, where a pretty good selection of microbrews are on offer,
> but they're all keg - none of them are cask-conditioned.

If you do want to do the Colonial Williamsburg thing and drink good beer,
you can get in at Chowning's Tavern ("Choo-nings") where they have
Williamsburg Brewing's ColoniAle, which is, surprisingly, a saison-style
beer, pretty good stuff. Keep an eye out for Williamsburg Brewing and Old
Dominion taps; I've had them at the King's Arms, also.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Joel

dgs > wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>> Just caught a travel show about Colonial Williamsburg. They mentioned
>> that everything recreated there is true to the period including the
>> tavern. Does this mean they are serving the types of ale available in
>> the colonies at the time of Revolution and dispensed correctly for the
>> time?

>No, they don't go quite that far. I think the closest you'll come to
>something like that are the Yards ales brewed for a colonial-style
>restaurant in downtown Philadelphia, but that's obviously not anywhere
>near Williamsburg.
>
>> Does anyone know? Might be an interesting beer trip if the ale
>> and method of dispensing are recreated.

>They aren't.

It certainly sounds like they have a wonderful niche
that needs filling. Maybe it's time to semi-retire to
Williamsburg...
--
Joel Plutchak "I said nothing, because I knew that this spited him more
plutchak@[...] than any retort, and that every time he shouted at me he

Glenn P

I think Chownings also serves Liebotschaner Cream Ale on draught, specially
brewed by the Lion in Wilkes Barre,PA...

m...