Bruce Weaver

Lew Bryson wrote:

>>>Had it, bought it again, certainly in the style of dry stout.

>>Had it, thought it sucked, found out the next day it was brewed by A-B.
>>Felt good about myself that my intense dislike of it had nothing to do
>>with the fact A-B brewed it.

> Pick it out as "the sucking one" in a blind tasting with Guinness, Murphy's,
> and Beamish, and I'll be impressed.

I'll just have a Black Wych, thanks. :-|

--
Bruce Weaver

www.angelfire.com/wv/bwhomedir
Bill Benzel

Joel ) wrote:
: Bill Benzel > wrote:
: >Joel ) wrote:
: >: >: "Nels E. Satterlund" > wrote:
: >: >: > ..."Bare Knuckle Stout" ...
: >:
: >: Is that the stout they were pouring at the GABF?
: >
: >Definitely not as I was not at GABF. Also did not run into it in the
: >staging area at WBC while stewarding and I'm not sure it was entered as
: >that was back in March and I ran into it more like July this year.
:
: I'm struggling to figure out how you not being at
: GABF and not seeing it at WBC means it was a different
: A-B stout that I tasted at the GABF. Has A-B brewed
: and marketed more than one stout in the past six months?

Sorry, I misunderstood the question -- so the answer to both the original
and the new question is a resounding "I don't know."

I read your first one as asking whether I'd tried it at GABF.

Some days I really detest this medium. I am soooo misunderstood.

--
Bill

reply to sirwill1 AT same domain as above
Alexander D. Mitchell IV

> Just had a damn near perfect pour of Guinness yesterday, and I'm not sure
> I'd agree with you. I want to try this blind tasting myself, because I

think
> it might be an eye-opener. Blind comparison tastings are very educational.
> Everyone should do them more often. Wish I could, but Cathy refuses to

wear
> a blindfold and pour beers nekkid.

Skipping the image of yer wife (whom I've never met) nekkid.........

"Blind" tastings have turned out to be perhaps the strongest and most
educational weapon in our beer-tasting travails. On a very frequent basis,
fellow brewers/imbibers and I subject each other to "here, drink this" or
"Surprise us, Casey--within reason" in a bar with 65 taps and 300+ bottles.
In the case of the latter, out of the tap list I can almost always pick out
what the beer is, or come down to only two possibilities.

It's not enough to pick out the beer. You have to be able to say why you
like that beer, or dislike it--what's good and what's bad, and why you
decided it's this particular beer (even if you've never had it before!).
The power of suggestion is enormous. Labeling, as Jim Koch can tell you, is
everything. When the biases that make you order, or not order, certain
beers are eliminated, anything can happen.

You have never lived in this beer hobby until you've: 1) seen a homebrewer
reject a beer he himself made but couldn't recognize; and 2) had a brewer
literally beg you for the recipe for a high-alcohol beer he himself made six
years before you poured it for him, but drank up within two months.

Even more evil is to pour four beers in a row, with disguised or removed
labels, and tell them "one of these beers is a normal beer; one is a spiced
ale; one is an ale with something weirdly different about it, and one is a
honey ale--pick them out and elaborate." I had to do this recently with a
set of wines where one of the wines had been widely rumored to be illegally
doctored with ingredients not listed on the label; I contrasted them with
openly-"doctored" and un-"doctored" wines with a panel of experts. We came
to the conclusion that there were ways one could pull off the character in
question without the adulteration of which the winery was accused.

Most evil of all is a stunt I've seen pulled in formal tastings at the
Brickskeller in Washington, DC. Either deliberately or accidentally, after
you've been subjected to several of the night's beers and have been taking
notes as appropriate, they'll suddenly tell you, "Ooops, sorry, we made a
mistake--we switched #3 and #4 on your list." Usually this can only be done
with new beers or casks that no one in the bar is likely or able to
recognize; you can't exactly pull that with a Guinness and a Murphy's, or a
Bass and a Boddington's. Or can you?

Try it yourself. You'll learn more that way.

Lew Bryson

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote in message
> Most evil of all is a stunt I've seen pulled in formal tastings at the

I was at a tasting once where three of us were in a room, and the beers were
poured in another room -- we didn't know what style they were supposed to
be, what brewery they were from, not even if they were bottled, canned, or
draft. We had everything from pilsner to abbey to dunkelweizen to IPA...and
I sat and listened to two certified beer judges wax eloquent about how
wonderful the dubbel was, the dubbel that turned out to be a
dunkelweizenbock. Educational.

> Try it yourself. You'll learn more that way.

Ayup. Even if you can't do it blind, comparison tastings are still useful. I
like to do my whiskey tasting that way, tasting new whiskeys against "known
quantities." Really brings out the differences.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Lew Bryson

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote in message
> Most evil of all is a stunt I've seen pulled in formal tastings at the

I was at a tasting once where three of us were in a room, and the beers were
poured in another room -- we didn't know what style they were supposed to
be, what brewery they were from, not even if they were bottled, canned, or
draft. We had everything from pilsner to abbey to dunkelweizen to IPA...and
I sat and listened to two certified beer judges wax eloquent about how
wonderful the dubbel was, the dubbel that turned out to be a
dunkelweizenbock. Educational.

> Try it yourself. You'll learn more that way.

Ayup. Even if you can't do it blind, comparison tastings are still useful. I
like to do my whiskey tasting that way, tasting new whiskeys against "known
quantities." Really brings out the differences.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Craig Bergren

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:49:08 -0500, Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

> Labeling, as Jim Koch can tell you, is everything.

How true. Back in the spring of 1978 I was sitting in my dorm room
drinking a bottle of Hamm's I purchased on sale at the low price of $ 2.99
a case. One of my floor mates started making fun of me for drinking such
inferior beer. Some of you may remember that Olympia brewery had recently
purchased Hammm's and was making a marketing push in the midwest with an
ad campaign that alluded to some fairy like creatures called Artesians
that made Olympia so much better than whatever we used to drink. They had
a slogan "it's the water". Now I being a good midwesterner grew up in the
"land of sky blue waters" knew that it was the "water best for brewing"
and challenged my fellow student to a bind taste testing. Actually, my
cynical thesis was that as Olympia had bought up Hamm's, the beer was
identical, only the packaging was different and he was paying $6 / case
for the label.

My room mate presided over the tasting, being from Peoria, he was a Pabst
man (also $2.99 / case). Low and behold, they actually did taste
different. I was successful choosing Hamm's as my beer while the Artesians
also preferred Hamm's, proving my thesis wrong while proving Jim Koch
correct.

Nels E. Satterlund

Craig Bergren wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:49:08 -0500, Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
>

>>Labeling, as Jim Koch can tell you, is everything.

> How true. Back in the spring of 1978 I was sitting in my dorm room
> drinking a bottle of Hamm's I purchased on sale at the low price of $ 2.99
> a case. One of my floor mates started making fun of me for drinking such
> inferior beer. Some of you may remember that Olympia brewery had recently
> purchased Hammm's and was making a marketing push in the midwest with an
> ad campaign that alluded to some fairy like creatures called Artesians
> that made Olympia so much better than whatever we used to drink. They had
> a slogan "it's the water". Now I being a good midwesterner grew up in the
> "land of sky blue waters" knew that it was the "water best for brewing"
> and challenged my fellow student to a bind taste testing. Actually, my
> cynical thesis was that as Olympia had bought up Hamm's, the beer was
> identical, only the packaging was different and he was paying $6 / case
> for the label.
>
> My room mate presided over the tasting, being from Peoria, he was a Pabst
> man (also $2.99 / case). Low and behold, they actually did taste
> different. I was successful choosing Hamm's as my beer while the Artesians
> also preferred Hamm's, proving my thesis wrong while proving Jim Koch
> correct.

In a non blind taste test between Coors and Bud (I don't normally drink
either) I found Bud was sweeter with coarser carbonation while the Coors
has a slight sour note and finer carbonation. I'd rather have the Bud
flavor with the Coors carbonation
But if I buy this style I buy Miller because that's what my wife will drink.
I will ocassionaly buy Hamm's because that is what my Dad drank.

Nels

--
Nels E Satterlund I don't speak for the company, specially here
<-- Use this address for personal Email
p. clouston

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 03:07:21 GMT, "Lew Bryson"
> wrote:

>Pick it out as "the sucking one" in a blind tasting with Guinness, Murphy's,
>and Beamish, and I'll be impressed.

Blind tasting is a great way to test your taste buds. We do it
regularly with commercial beers at homebrew club meetings.
You have no preconceptions of the beers or their mystiques. We usually
at least know the general style or area the beers are from, but the
results can still be eye opening.

Pete Clouston
Lawrence (KS) Brewers Guild
http://www.sunflower.com/~homebrew

Popularity of the small and medium-size Adidas Porsche Design world-trade[_2_] General Cooking 0 22-10-2010 02:15 AM
medium-size oranges werwiniskp Baking 0 18-03-2009 04:49 PM
medium-size oranges werwiniskp Baking 0 18-03-2009 04:48 PM
Medium, Medium Rare Joelle General Cooking 23 13-02-2005 05:01 AM
List of medium-sized and mega breweries. Adjustments appreciated. Scott Jensen Beer 7 07-12-2004 02:05 PM