Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer,rec.crafts.brewing

Default Beer formula recently discovered from 1825 Archives

Formula for beer from the year1825 has just been discovered in archives.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/889159-...r-for-just-11p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** A recipe for beer made with treacle has been discovered – but no one
knows just how strong it really is.

It was written by ale lover Thomas Denton, who was determined to recreate
his favourite tipple, London Porter.

For 72 pints of stout, you will need a peck of barley, 4oz of hops, 7lb of
treacle and several gallons of boiling water.

Mr Denton, of Goole, east Yorkshire, also recommended letting the potent
brew ferment for seven days.

Sam Bartle, from East Riding’s archive service, said: 'The instructions are
quite simple but anyone wanting to try out the recipe would have to do so at
their own risk.

'Following the recipe would produce a huge amount of beer, 72 pints, and it
actually recommends a nine gallon cask for brewing.

'For it to be tried in most modern homes it would probably require some
scaling down of the quantities.'

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/889159-...-------------1 Peck = 9.01 litres or 2 gallons.It looks easy to make and is ready in seven days. To me it seems in-expensive to make, since treacle could be purchased inbulk. Novice grateful for any tips on trying to make this one. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer,rec.crafts.brewing

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:42:24 -0000, "john east"
> wrote:

>Formula for beer from the year1825 has just been discovered in archives.
>

>http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/889159-...r-for-just-11p
>

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>*** A recipe for beer made with treacle has been discovered – but no one
>knows just how strong it really is.
>

>It was written by ale lover Thomas Denton, who was determined to recreate
>his favourite tipple, London Porter.
>

>For 72 pints of stout, you will need a peck of barley, 4oz of hops, 7lb of
>treacle and several gallons of boiling water.
>

>Mr Denton, of Goole, east Yorkshire, also recommended letting the potent
>brew ferment for seven days.
>

>Sam Bartle, from East Riding’s archive service, said: 'The instructions are
>quite simple but anyone wanting to try out the recipe would have to do so at
>their own risk.
>

>'Following the recipe would produce a huge amount of beer, 72 pints, and it
>actually recommends a nine gallon cask for brewing.
>

>'For it to be tried in most modern homes it would probably require some
>scaling down of the quantities.'
>

> http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/889159-...-------------1 Peck = 9.01 litres or 2 gallons.It looks easy to make and is ready in seven days. To me it seems in-expensive to make, since treacle could be purchased inbulk. Novice grateful for any tips on trying to make this one. Thanks

Doesn't sound very good, and only 4 Oz. of hops?

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer,rec.crafts.brewing

"Tom Biasi" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:42:24 -0000, "john east"
> > wrote:
>

>>Formula for beer from the year1825 has just been discovered in archives.
>>

>>http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/889159-...r-for-just-11p
>>

>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>*** A recipe for beer made with treacle has been discovered - but no one
>>knows just how strong it really is.
>>

>>It was written by ale lover Thomas Denton, who was determined to recreate
>>his favourite tipple, London Porter.
>>

>>For 72 pints of stout, you will need a peck of barley, 4oz of hops, 7lb of
>>treacle and several gallons of boiling water.
>>

>>Mr Denton, of Goole, east Yorkshire, also recommended letting the potent
>>brew ferment for seven days.
>>

>>Sam Bartle, from East Riding's archive service, said: 'The instructions
>>are
>>quite simple but anyone wanting to try out the recipe would have to do so
>>at
>>their own risk.
>>

>>'Following the recipe would produce a huge amount of beer, 72 pints, and
>>it
>>actually recommends a nine gallon cask for brewing.
>>

>>'For it to be tried in most modern homes it would probably require some
>>scaling down of the quantities.'
>>

>> http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/889159-...-------------1
>> Peck = 9.01 litres or 2 gallons.It looks easy to make and is ready in
>> seven days. To me it seems in-expensive to make, since treacle could be
>> purchased inbulk. Novice grateful for any tips on trying to make this
>> one. Thanks

> Doesn't sound very good, and only 4 Oz. of hops?
>
> Tom

Awright. Turn in your beer drinking permission slip. Commenting on a beer
you've never tasted is heresy in the beer world.

I'd like to taste it, but only if someone else went to all the work, and I
didn't have to make a 9 gallon taste test.

Beer drinkers have such a fine palate. I used to tend bar. Had a regular
who would come in, and order two beers because if I only brought him one,
he's be finished before I came round again. Nice gun, good tipper. Used to
comment on how good his taster was. After three or four, I slipped him a
glass of something he didn't drink. How's that ****? Great, he said. I
told him that I had switched to a brand he expressly stated he didn't like.

Proved my point.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer,rec.crafts.brewing

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 16:36:17 -0800, "Steve B" > wrote:

>Beer drinkers have such a fine palate. I used to tend bar. Had a regular
>who would come in, and order two beers because if I only brought him one,
>he's be finished before I came round again. Nice gun, good tipper. Used to
>comment on how good his taster was. After three or four, I slipped him a
>glass of something he didn't drink. How's that ****? Great, he said. I
>told him that I had switched to a brand he expressly stated he didn't like.
>
>Proved my point.
>
>Steve

Proved your point and lost your tip?
BTW: What kind of gun did he have?

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer,rec.crafts.brewing

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 16:36:17 -0800, "Steve B" > wrote:

>"Tom Biasi" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:42:24 -0000, "john east"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>Formula for beer from the year1825 has just been discovered in archives.
>>>

>>>http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/889159-...r-for-just-11p
>>>

>>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>*** A recipe for beer made with treacle has been discovered - but no one
>>>knows just how strong it really is.
>>>

>>>It was written by ale lover Thomas Denton, who was determined to recreate
>>>his favourite tipple, London Porter.
>>>

>>>For 72 pints of stout, you will need a peck of barley, 4oz of hops, 7lb of
>>>treacle and several gallons of boiling water.
>>>

>>>Mr Denton, of Goole, east Yorkshire, also recommended letting the potent
>>>brew ferment for seven days.
>>>

>>>Sam Bartle, from East Riding's archive service, said: 'The instructions
>>>are
>>>quite simple but anyone wanting to try out the recipe would have to do so
>>>at
>>>their own risk.
>>>

>>>'Following the recipe would produce a huge amount of beer, 72 pints, and
>>>it
>>>actually recommends a nine gallon cask for brewing.
>>>

>>>'For it to be tried in most modern homes it would probably require some
>>>scaling down of the quantities.'
>>>

>>> http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/889159-...-------------1
>>> Peck = 9.01 litres or 2 gallons.It looks easy to make and is ready in
>>> seven days. To me it seems in-expensive to make, since treacle could be
>>> purchased inbulk. Novice grateful for any tips on trying to make this
>>> one. Thanks

>> Doesn't sound very good, and only 4 Oz. of hops?
>>
>> Tom

>Awright. Turn in your beer drinking permission slip. Commenting on a beer
>you've never tasted is heresy in the beer world.
>
>I'd like to taste it, but only if someone else went to all the work, and I
>didn't have to make a 9 gallon taste test.
>
>Beer drinkers have such a fine palate. I used to tend bar. Had a regular
>who would come in, and order two beers because if I only brought him one,
>he's be finished before I came round again. Nice gun, good tipper. Used to
>comment on how good his taster was. After three or four, I slipped him a
>glass of something he didn't drink. How's that ****? Great, he said. I
>told him that I had switched to a brand he expressly stated he didn't like.
>
>Proved my point.

Obviously you did, but afterwards was he *still* a good tipper?

----
Diogenes

The wars are long, the peace is frail
The madmen come again . . . .

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer,rec.crafts.brewing

"Tom Biasi" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 16:36:17 -0800, "Steve B" > wrote:
>

>>Beer drinkers have such a fine palate. I used to tend bar. Had a regular
>>who would come in, and order two beers because if I only brought him one,
>>he's be finished before I came round again. Nice gun, good tipper. Used
>>comment on how good his taster was. After three or four, I slipped him a
>>glass of something he didn't drink. How's that ****? Great, he said. I
>>told him that I had switched to a brand he expressly stated he didn't
>>like.
>>
>>Proved my point.
>>
>>Steve
>>

> Proved your point and lost your tip?
> BTW: What kind of gun did he have?
>
> Tom

He took it very well, actually. And I never ever slipped him a substitute
again. Even told him that now that I'd made my point that there was no need
to repeat it. If I saw him hit the door, I'd draw two and have them ready.
That was enough to keep his tipping streak alive. Yeah, that, and when he
was down to 1/4th of a beer, have another ready. And if he said he didn't
want another, I'd just say, well, then don't pay for something you don't
want, and he'd drink it or part, or I'd dump it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer,rec.crafts.brewing

"Diogenes" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 16:36:17 -0800, "Steve B" > wrote:
>

>>"Tom Biasi" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:42:24 -0000, "john east"

>>> Doesn't sound very good, and only 4 Oz. of hops?
>>>
>>> Tom

>>Awright. Turn in your beer drinking permission slip. Commenting on a
>>beer
>>you've never tasted is heresy in the beer world.
>>
>>I'd like to taste it, but only if someone else went to all the work, and I
>>didn't have to make a 9 gallon taste test.
>>
>>Beer drinkers have such a fine palate. I used to tend bar. Had a regular
>>who would come in, and order two beers because if I only brought him one,
>>he's be finished before I came round again. Nice gun, good tipper. Used
>>comment on how good his taster was. After three or four, I slipped him a
>>glass of something he didn't drink. How's that ****? Great, he said. I
>>told him that I had switched to a brand he expressly stated he didn't
>>like.
>>
>>Proved my point.

> Obviously you did, but afterwards was he *still* a good tipper?

Yeah. He took it well.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer

The above recipe is intriguing to me. It appears to be not a very
wimpy beer, but fairly strong, and could be classified similar to a
Baltic-style porter. Here's my best guess of how I would tackle it:

5 gallon recipe
OG~1.070
ABV~7%
IBU~34
SRM~29

7.25 lb British mild ale malt
3.5 lb British treacle
2 oz Kent Goldings (leaf hops, 5.5% alpha, 60 minutes)
Wyeast 1313 London ale yeast

Make a reasonably big starter a couple days in advance. Mash the malt
alone at 158 F for 1 hour -- thick mash of about 0.9 qts/lb. Infuse
with boiling water and sparge as normal. Bring to boil, add treacle
and hops, and boil for an hour as normal. Chill to 64 F and pitch
yeast. Ferment 7 days at 64 F. Secondary if desired. Prime and
bottle or keg as normal.

I might have to try this recipe one day. It will require some bravery
as the character of treacle/molasses can be pretty severe. But it
should be interesting to try, once anyway. If anyone out there wants
to try it, let me know how it turns out!

--
David M. Taylor
"Just a drink, a little drink, and I'll be feeling GOOooOOooOOooD!!"
Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer

Sounds like a lot of treacle to me for 5 gallons...let me know how it
turns out...

Ace

On 2-12-2012 05:21, David M. Taylor wrote:
> The above recipe is intriguing to me. It appears to be not a very
> wimpy beer, but fairly strong, and could be classified similar to a
> Baltic-style porter. Here's my best guess of how I would tackle it:
>
> 5 gallon recipe
> OG~1.070
> ABV~7%
> IBU~34
> SRM~29
>
> 7.25 lb British mild ale malt
> 3.5 lb British treacle
> 2 oz Kent Goldings (leaf hops, 5.5% alpha, 60 minutes)
> Wyeast 1313 London ale yeast

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer

On 2/11/12 11:21 PM, David M. Taylor wrote:
> The above recipe is intriguing to me. It appears to be not a very
> wimpy beer, but fairly strong, and could be classified similar to a
> Baltic-style porter. Here's my best guess of how I would tackle it:
>
> 5 gallon recipe
> OG~1.070
> ABV~7%
> IBU~34
> SRM~29
>
> 7.25 lb British mild ale malt
> 3.5 lb British treacle
> 2 oz Kent Goldings (leaf hops, 5.5% alpha, 60 minutes)
> Wyeast 1313 London ale yeast
>
> Make a reasonably big starter a couple days in advance. Mash the malt
> alone at 158 F for 1 hour -- thick mash of about 0.9 qts/lb. Infuse
> with boiling water and sparge as normal. Bring to boil, add treacle
> and hops, and boil for an hour as normal. Chill to 64 F and pitch
> yeast. Ferment 7 days at 64 F. Secondary if desired. Prime and
> bottle or keg as normal.

Too much treacle in it for me. That doesn't make it wrong, just not my
personal taste. I've brewed with treacle, and a little goes a long way
in my opinion.

Oddly enough, I could not find a listing for Wyeast 1313. 1028 is
"London Ale". Typo, or just a variant?

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer

Steve Bonine > wrote in :

> Too much treacle in it for me. That doesn't make it wrong, just not my
> personal taste. I've brewed with treacle, and a little goes a long way
> in my opinion.

There's treacle and then there's treacle. Dark treacle has that
distinctive, strong molasses taste (which I can't stand), but
the golden treacle doesn't. I don't know what sort "British
treacle" is, but if it's the lighter variety, 3 lbs may not
overwhelm your palate so much.

--
Cheerfully resisting change since 1959.
Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer

On 12 Feb 2012 20:08:08 GMT, Bart Goddard >
wrote:

>Steve Bonine > wrote in :
>

>> Too much treacle in it for me. That doesn't make it wrong, just not my
>> personal taste. I've brewed with treacle, and a little goes a long way
>> in my opinion.

>There's treacle and then there's treacle. Dark treacle has that
>distinctive, strong molasses taste (which I can't stand), but
>the golden treacle doesn't. I don't know what sort "British
>treacle" is, but if it's the lighter variety, 3 lbs may not
>overwhelm your palate so much.

Do you think there is enough hops for that much sweetness?

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer

Tom Biasi > wrote in
:

> Do you think there is enough hops for that much sweetness?

Not for me. But if the treacle is very light, perhaps it
ferments out fairly dry...?

--
Cheerfully resisting change since 1959.
Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer

Use the light kind of treacle, not the dark stuff. The BU:GU ratio is
about 0.5, so there should be plenty of bitterness. Treacle is 90%
fermentable so it's not going to turn out to be sweet really, which is
also why I specified a thick mash at 158 F to help compensate for what
would otherwise be a very very dry beer.

--
David M. Taylor
"Just a drink, a little drink, and I'll be feeling GOOooOOooOOooD!!"
-- Genesis, 1972-ish
Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer

:

>> Do you think there is enough hops for that much sweetness?

>Not for me. But if the treacle is very light, perhaps it
>ferments out fairly dry...?

The peck of barley from back then probably wouldn't.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer

Tom Biasi > wrote in
:

> On 12 Feb 2012 20:46:52 GMT, Bart Goddard >
> wrote:
>
>>Tom Biasi > wrote in
m:

>>> Do you think there is enough hops for that much sweetness?

>>Not for me. But if the treacle is very light, perhaps it
>>ferments out fairly dry...?

> The peck of barley from back then probably wouldn't.

You'd just have to use a simple quintuple-decoction mash.
It takes three days, but while you're waiting on the
protein rest, you can churn your butter.

--
Cheerfully resisting change since 1959.