Rosalba e Massimo

Addi' Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:33:55 +0200, FujiGirl scrisse:

>my fellow beer lovers swear this is the best trappist ever made. since i
>[and my partner] love trappist it's inevitable we must make that trip down
>south [210km] and get a few of these from the monastery one of these days.
>they no longer sell it to the shops, you see. my current trappist
>favourites are Rochefort 8 and Gouden Carolus. yours?

a few months ago, dining with a couple of friends, we had both Westy 12
and Roch 10 - the drinks that night included also my friend's
barleywine, maybe some other beers, a good local Nebbiolo wine (BTW we
are in Italy) and a selection of aged single malts whiskies... a good
way to get prepared to a HB judging the day after ;-))
Well back to the trappists: my friend was for the W12, his wife
preferred the R10, I was in between; but the interesting thing was that
we all 3 agreed that anyway R10 is *bigger". Yes, despite whay I read
and what I remembered, Rochfort 10 is *more*: in aroma, flavour,
intensity, complexity... a challenge to your palate! W12 was also rich,
big, complex etc, but subtler and more drinkable. That evening, having
drunk so much and so "big", if I wanted another bottle it would have
been Westy and not Rochefort.

In other tastings, in other evenings, Rochefort 10 was just heavenly
perfect, the right beer for me.

If you have the chance, I do suggest a parallel tasting of these 2 great
trappist ales.

BTW, Rochefort 10 is stronger (though just slightly) than Westvleteren
12. R10 is 11.3% abv, W12 lately oscillates between 10.2% and 10.8%. A
friend measured the final gravity of a W12 and we calculated an OG of
about 1095.

ciao from Italy
max

--
Please reply he rosamax (at ISP fastwebnet.it
"A Quart of Ale is a Dish for a King" - Shakespeare (A Winter's Tale)
Steve Jackson

"Filip Geerts" > wrote in message

> BTW:
> Westvleteren Trappist is only sold to individual customers. Every customer
> promises not to sell the beer to others.

Is that really still the policy, Filip, or are people ignoring it? Because I
have purchased more than a few bottles of Westvleteren from retail stores
and pubs in the States.

-Steve

Russ Perry Jr

"FujiGirl" > wrote:
> my first Orval was a bit strange...but i'm learning to
> like it more and more.

Good girl. Got a sister? :-)

> anyone else like lambic? oh god, i know i know.......''it's a
> girrrrrrl's beer", right?! hehehe......my current lambic fav
> is Timmerman's gueze. i find many too sweet, especially kriek.

If you prefer a gueze over a kriek, I think you don't have to
worry about the "girl's beer" thing very much...

Have you tried the Lindeman's Cuvee Rene Gueze? I need to retry
that some day, but if you like gueze you'll probably like that
one just fine.
--
//*================================================= ===============++
|| Russ Perry Jr 2175 S Tonne Dr #114 Arlington Hts IL 60005 ||
Douglas W. Hoyt

I really do, as the icing on the cake after an evening of Belgian imbibing.
Even after rounds of Piraats and Val Dieus and St. Bernards, a late lambic
is the kiss on the cheek.

Nick Dempsey

Steve Jackson wrote:

> Quality over quantity, my friend.

Indeed. Thingofitis, I've yet to have a Westy that didn't taste like it
had been mishandled and sitting on a warm shelf or in a hot container
for some time before it got to me. The Bernardus stuff is flying off the
shelves these days.

Seems a trip to Belgium is in order to do some proper investigation.

--NPD

FujiGirl

"Steve Jackson" > wrote in message
> "Filip Geerts" > wrote in message
>>
>> BTW:
>> Westvleteren Trappist is only sold to individual customers. Every
>> customer
>> promises not to sell the beer to others.

> Is that really still the policy, Filip, or are people ignoring it? Because
> I have purchased more than a few bottles of Westvleteren from retail
> stores and pubs in the States.
>
> -Steve

that's exactly what it says on the brewery's website
http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.html
steve, how long ago did you last purchase your Westies? we're all getting
conflicting reports indeed.

damnit all to hell, anyone is orgarnising a trip down to the brewery and
cafe de vrede? ))))))

FujiGirl

"Steve Jackson" > wrote in message
> "Filip Geerts" > wrote in message
>>
>> BTW:
>> Westvleteren Trappist is only sold to individual customers. Every
>> customer
>> promises not to sell the beer to others.

> Is that really still the policy, Filip, or are people ignoring it? Because
> I have purchased more than a few bottles of Westvleteren from retail
> stores and pubs in the States.
>
> -Steve

that's exactly what it says on the brewery's website
http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.html
steve, how long ago did you last purchase your Westies? we're all getting
conflicting reports indeed.

damnit all to hell, anyone is orgarnising a trip down to the brewery and
cafe de vrede? ))))))

FujiGirl

"Russ Perry Jr" > wrote in message
> "FujiGirl" > wrote:
>> my first Orval was a bit strange...but i'm learning to
>> like it more and more.

> Good girl. Got a sister? :-)
>
>> anyone else like lambic? oh god, i know i know.......''it's a
>> girrrrrrl's beer", right?! hehehe......my current lambic fav
>> is Timmerman's gueze. i find many too sweet, especially kriek.

> If you prefer a gueze over a kriek, I think you don't have to
> worry about the "girl's beer" thing very much...
>
> Have you tried the Lindeman's Cuvee Rene Gueze? I need to retry
> that some day, but if you like gueze you'll probably like that
> one just fine.
> --

i had a Lindeman's something Cassis just last week. not the one you mention
but the lambic cassis artisanal. i'll look for the cuvee on saturday
[thanks for the tip!]. tonight i'm trying out the 'mort subite' for the
first time. doesn't the name of the drink make you a bit
nervous...heheh....

sorry Russ, i'm the only girl in the family.

FujiGirl

"Douglas W. Hoyt" > wrote in message >
> I really do, as the icing on the cake after an evening of Belgian
> imbibing.
> Even after rounds of Piraats and Val Dieus and St. Bernards, a late
> lambic
> is the kiss on the cheek.

my first lambic gueuze i thought it was champagne. lovely aroma and
prestigeous. been a fan since.
sometimes i have a nice lambic or rochefort 8 as 'dessert' later in the
evening.

FujiGirl

"Douglas W. Hoyt" > wrote in message >
> I really do, as the icing on the cake after an evening of Belgian
> imbibing.
> Even after rounds of Piraats and Val Dieus and St. Bernards, a late
> lambic
> is the kiss on the cheek.

my first lambic gueuze i thought it was champagne. lovely aroma and
prestigeous. been a fan since.
sometimes i have a nice lambic or rochefort 8 as 'dessert' later in the
evening.

Russ Perry Jr

"FujiGirl" > wrote:
> i had a Lindeman's something Cassis just last week. not the one
> you mention but the lambic cassis artisanal. i'll look for the
> cuvee on saturday [thanks for the tip!].

No sweat. I couldn't find it for the longest time, then ran
across it at the Blind Pig in Champaign IL (back when it was
cool). The conversation went something like this:

Bartender: "You know it's a little higher alcohol?"
Me: "Uh huh"
Bartender: "You know it's a big bottle?"
Me: "Uh huh"
Bartender: "You know it's $18?"
Me: "Uh huh"
Bartender: "Still want it?"
Me: "Uh huh"

It was interesting... I'm not a huge gueze fan -- especially
now -- but it was sure worth it.

> tonight i'm trying out the 'mort subite' for the first time.
> doesn't the name of the drink make you a bit nervous...heheh....

Heh, yeah. I had to work my way up from Delerium Tremens to
Mort Subite (namewise, naturally).

> sorry Russ, i'm the only girl in the family.

Heh, I was kidding anyway (or was I? :-). Where are you from
anyway? Some beers on your page I haven't seen... Are you in
the NL?

And why Fujiirl? You're not an Atari fan, are you?
--
//*================================================= ===============++
|| Russ Perry Jr 2175 S Tonne Dr #114 Arlington Hts IL 60005 ||
|| 847-952-9729 [NEW!] VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR! ||
++================================================ ================*//
Russ Perry Jr

"FujiGirl" > wrote:
> i had a Lindeman's something Cassis just last week. not the one
> you mention but the lambic cassis artisanal. i'll look for the
> cuvee on saturday [thanks for the tip!].

No sweat. I couldn't find it for the longest time, then ran
across it at the Blind Pig in Champaign IL (back when it was
cool). The conversation went something like this:

Bartender: "You know it's a little higher alcohol?"
Me: "Uh huh"
Bartender: "You know it's a big bottle?"
Me: "Uh huh"
Bartender: "You know it's $18?"
Me: "Uh huh"
Bartender: "Still want it?"
Me: "Uh huh"

It was interesting... I'm not a huge gueze fan -- especially
now -- but it was sure worth it.

> tonight i'm trying out the 'mort subite' for the first time.
> doesn't the name of the drink make you a bit nervous...heheh....

Heh, yeah. I had to work my way up from Delerium Tremens to
Mort Subite (namewise, naturally).

> sorry Russ, i'm the only girl in the family.

Heh, I was kidding anyway (or was I? :-). Where are you from
anyway? Some beers on your page I haven't seen... Are you in
the NL?

And why Fujiirl? You're not an Atari fan, are you?
--
//*================================================= ===============++
|| Russ Perry Jr 2175 S Tonne Dr #114 Arlington Hts IL 60005 ||
|| 847-952-9729 [NEW!] VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR! ||
++================================================ ================*//
Tim Everding

On 2004-09-14, FujiGirl > wrote:
> that's exactly what it says on the brewery's website
> http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.html
> steve, how long ago did you last purchase your Westies? we're all getting
> conflicting reports indeed.

Westvleteren is still available in the Chicago area.

Actually, except for Orval, I've seen all of the Trappists available
for sale in town. (Maybe Orval is there too, I just haven't noticed
it.)

Tim

Tim Everding

On 2004-09-14, FujiGirl > wrote:
> that's exactly what it says on the brewery's website
> http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.html
> steve, how long ago did you last purchase your Westies? we're all getting
> conflicting reports indeed.

Westvleteren is still available in the Chicago area.

Actually, except for Orval, I've seen all of the Trappists available
for sale in town. (Maybe Orval is there too, I just haven't noticed
it.)

Tim

Tim Everding

On 2004-09-14, FujiGirl > wrote:
> that's exactly what it says on the brewery's website
> http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.html
> steve, how long ago did you last purchase your Westies? we're all getting
> conflicting reports indeed.

Westvleteren is still available in the Chicago area.

Actually, except for Orval, I've seen all of the Trappists available
for sale in town. (Maybe Orval is there too, I just haven't noticed
it.)

Tim

Steve Jackson

"FujiGirl" > wrote in message

> steve, how long ago did you last purchase your Westies? we're all getting
> conflicting reports indeed.

Had some at a pub in Portland less than a month ago. Not sure if it's still
being sold in Chicago or not. I haven't lived there for two and a half years
now. I've never seen it in the LA area, where I am now.

> damnit all to hell, anyone is orgarnising a trip down to the brewery and
> cafe de vrede? ))))))

Someone should. Hell, everyone should.

-Steve

Steve Jackson

"FujiGirl" > wrote in message

> steve, how long ago did you last purchase your Westies? we're all getting
> conflicting reports indeed.

Had some at a pub in Portland less than a month ago. Not sure if it's still
being sold in Chicago or not. I haven't lived there for two and a half years
now. I've never seen it in the LA area, where I am now.

> damnit all to hell, anyone is orgarnising a trip down to the brewery and
> cafe de vrede? ))))))

Someone should. Hell, everyone should.

-Steve

Steve Jackson

"Tim Everding" > wrote in message

> Actually, except for Orval, I've seen all of the Trappists available
> for sale in town. (Maybe Orval is there too, I just haven't noticed
> it.)

Orval can definitely be found in Chicago.

-Steve

Steve Jackson

"Tim Everding" > wrote in message

> Actually, except for Orval, I've seen all of the Trappists available
> for sale in town. (Maybe Orval is there too, I just haven't noticed
> it.)

Orval can definitely be found in Chicago.

-Steve

Grafix8888

>Is that really still the policy, Filip, or are people ignoring it? Because I
>have purchased more than a few bottles of Westvleteren from retail stores
>and pubs in the States.
>
>-Steve

I've been able to find westy 8 and 12 as well as Rochefort 8 and 10, and Achel
8 in the SF bay area for a couple years now. Great prices too ($7 for the westy
and Achel, $5 for the Rochefort)

mike

Grafix8888

>Is that really still the policy, Filip, or are people ignoring it? Because I
>have purchased more than a few bottles of Westvleteren from retail stores
>and pubs in the States.
>
>-Steve

I've been able to find westy 8 and 12 as well as Rochefort 8 and 10, and Achel
8 in the SF bay area for a couple years now. Great prices too ($7 for the westy
and Achel, $5 for the Rochefort)

mike
March

> > damnit all to hell, anyone is orgarnising a trip down to the brewery and
> > cafe de vrede? ))))))

> Someone should. Hell, everyone should.

Fujigirl, you're in Noord Brabant, right? Next year April 23 local zythos
branches O.B.E.R. and HOP organize a trip to West-Flanders, visiting
Rodenbach, Dolle Brouwers, and De Vrede in Westvleteren. Our bus leaves from
Roosendaal NL, picking up some members of the Roosendaals Bierguild, next
stop is our hometown just acros the border Essen, then Antwerp.

If you're interested look for the contact page at our website.www.ober.be

Cheers,

Gunter Mertens
www.ober.be
www.zythos.be

March

> > damnit all to hell, anyone is orgarnising a trip down to the brewery and
> > cafe de vrede? ))))))

> Someone should. Hell, everyone should.

Fujigirl, you're in Noord Brabant, right? Next year April 23 local zythos
branches O.B.E.R. and HOP organize a trip to West-Flanders, visiting
Rodenbach, Dolle Brouwers, and De Vrede in Westvleteren. Our bus leaves from
Roosendaal NL, picking up some members of the Roosendaals Bierguild, next
stop is our hometown just acros the border Essen, then Antwerp.

If you're interested look for the contact page at our website.www.ober.be

Cheers,

Gunter Mertens
www.ober.be
www.zythos.be

March

> > damnit all to hell, anyone is orgarnising a trip down to the brewery and
> > cafe de vrede? ))))))

> Someone should. Hell, everyone should.

Fujigirl, you're in Noord Brabant, right? Next year April 23 local zythos
branches O.B.E.R. and HOP organize a trip to West-Flanders, visiting
Rodenbach, Dolle Brouwers, and De Vrede in Westvleteren. Our bus leaves from
Roosendaal NL, picking up some members of the Roosendaals Bierguild, next
stop is our hometown just acros the border Essen, then Antwerp.

If you're interested look for the contact page at our website.www.ober.be

Cheers,

Gunter Mertens
www.ober.be
www.zythos.be

FujiGirl

"March" > wrote in message >
>> > damnit all to hell, anyone is orgarnising a trip down to the brewery
>> > and
>> > cafe de vrede? ))))))

>> Someone should. Hell, everyone should.

> Fujigirl, you're in Noord Brabant, right? Next year April 23 local zythos
> branches O.B.E.R. and HOP organize a trip to West-Flanders, visiting
> Rodenbach, Dolle Brouwers, and De Vrede in Westvleteren. Our bus leaves
> from
> Roosendaal NL, picking up some members of the Roosendaals Bierguild, next
> stop is our hometown just acros the border Essen, then Antwerp.
>
> If you're interested look for the contact page at our website.www.ober.be
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gunter Mertens
> www.ober.be
> www.zythos.be

Gunter, many thanks for the tip! maybe my Dutchie and i will join you guys
in the spring.

FujiGirl

"March" > wrote in message >
>> > damnit all to hell, anyone is orgarnising a trip down to the brewery
>> > and
>> > cafe de vrede? ))))))

>> Someone should. Hell, everyone should.

> Fujigirl, you're in Noord Brabant, right? Next year April 23 local zythos
> branches O.B.E.R. and HOP organize a trip to West-Flanders, visiting
> Rodenbach, Dolle Brouwers, and De Vrede in Westvleteren. Our bus leaves
> from
> Roosendaal NL, picking up some members of the Roosendaals Bierguild, next
> stop is our hometown just acros the border Essen, then Antwerp.
>
> If you're interested look for the contact page at our website.www.ober.be
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gunter Mertens
> www.ober.be
> www.zythos.be

Gunter, many thanks for the tip! maybe my Dutchie and i will join you guys
in the spring.

March

> "Steve Jackson" > wrote in message
> > "Filip Geerts" > wrote in message

> >> Westvleteren Trappist is only sold to individual customers. Every
> >> customer
> >> promises not to sell the beer to others.

> > Is that really still the policy, Filip, or are people ignoring it?

Because
> > I have purchased more than a few bottles of Westvleteren from retail
> > stores and pubs in the States.

Westvleteren is available in café Spijtighen Duvel in Turnhout, not so far
from the Dutch Border.
Also brouwershuis in Baarle-Hertog has it I presume. Kapelse drankenhandel
in Kapellen has it for sale too from time to time.
It might still be the policy that it's 'illegal' to sell, but I don't think
anyone cares.
Lucky for those who don't live close to the abbay.

Cheers, Gunter

www.ober.be

March

> "Steve Jackson" > wrote in message
> > "Filip Geerts" > wrote in message

> >> Westvleteren Trappist is only sold to individual customers. Every
> >> customer
> >> promises not to sell the beer to others.

> > Is that really still the policy, Filip, or are people ignoring it?

Because
> > I have purchased more than a few bottles of Westvleteren from retail
> > stores and pubs in the States.

Westvleteren is available in café Spijtighen Duvel in Turnhout, not so far
from the Dutch Border.
Also brouwershuis in Baarle-Hertog has it I presume. Kapelse drankenhandel
in Kapellen has it for sale too from time to time.
It might still be the policy that it's 'illegal' to sell, but I don't think
anyone cares.
Lucky for those who don't live close to the abbay.

Cheers, Gunter

www.ober.be

Bill Benzel

Grafix8888 ) wrote:
:
: I've been able to find westy 8 and 12 as well as Rochefort 8 and 10, and Achel
: 8 in the SF bay area for a couple years now. Great prices too ($7 for the westy
: and Achel, $5 for the Rochefort)
:

Mike, I'm making a pilgrimage to Toronado next month -- would love to hunt
down some bottled Westy.

Care to share your store location(s)?

--
Bill

reply to sirwill1 AT same domain as above

Canadian Balloon Inflator

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Steve Jackson wrote:

> "Mike Roebuck" > wrote in message
>
> > Westvleteren only sell direct, at the door of the monastery. You can
> > have a mximum of two cases, and that's it (unless things have changed
> > recently).

> Things changed, and not all that recently. As long ago as 2000 or 2001, I
> was buying Westvleteren in Chicago. I bought some in Portland a month ago.
> It is imported into the States, although it's not like it's here in
> overwhelming numbers.

Nervertheless I believe its still only sold at the gate. Importers then
smack labels on them and ship them to the US.
Thats why its sorta hard to find and expensive.
Canadian Balloon Inflator

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Steve Jackson wrote:

> "Mike Roebuck" > wrote in message
>
> > Westvleteren only sell direct, at the door of the monastery. You can
> > have a mximum of two cases, and that's it (unless things have changed
> > recently).

> Things changed, and not all that recently. As long ago as 2000 or 2001, I
> was buying Westvleteren in Chicago. I bought some in Portland a month ago.
> It is imported into the States, although it's not like it's here in
> overwhelming numbers.

Nervertheless I believe its still only sold at the gate. Importers then
smack labels on them and ship them to the US.
Thats why its sorta hard to find and expensive.
Canadian Balloon Inflator

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, FujiGirl wrote:

> "Steve Jackson" > wrote in message
> > "Filip Geerts" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> BTW:
> >> Westvleteren Trappist is only sold to individual customers. Every
> >> customer
> >> promises not to sell the beer to others.

> > Is that really still the policy, Filip, or are people ignoring it? Because
> > I have purchased more than a few bottles of Westvleteren from retail
> > stores and pubs in the States.
> >
> > -Steve
> >

> that's exactly what it says on the brewery's website
> http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.html
> steve, how long ago did you last purchase your Westies? we're all getting
> conflicting reports indeed.
>
> damnit all to hell, anyone is orgarnising a trip down to the brewery and
> cafe de vrede? ))))))

I've read in many reports that despite the restrictions imposed by the
monks selling at the monastery, the beer is indeed re-sold. The labels
placed on the bottles are not even the monastery's own doing, as they only
come with variously colored crowns.
As I understand it, people affiliated with the importer line up and buy
their 2 cases when the new batch is released. They then label it, ship
it, etc. With quite a markup.

Its available in most major US markets.

Canadian Balloon Inflator

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, FujiGirl wrote:

> "Steve Jackson" > wrote in message
> > "Filip Geerts" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> BTW:
> >> Westvleteren Trappist is only sold to individual customers. Every
> >> customer
> >> promises not to sell the beer to others.

> > Is that really still the policy, Filip, or are people ignoring it? Because
> > I have purchased more than a few bottles of Westvleteren from retail
> > stores and pubs in the States.
> >
> > -Steve
> >

> that's exactly what it says on the brewery's website
> http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.html
> steve, how long ago did you last purchase your Westies? we're all getting
> conflicting reports indeed.
>
> damnit all to hell, anyone is orgarnising a trip down to the brewery and
> cafe de vrede? ))))))

I've read in many reports that despite the restrictions imposed by the
monks selling at the monastery, the beer is indeed re-sold. The labels
placed on the bottles are not even the monastery's own doing, as they only
come with variously colored crowns.
As I understand it, people affiliated with the importer line up and buy
their 2 cases when the new batch is released. They then label it, ship
it, etc. With quite a markup.

Its available in most major US markets.

Grafix8888

I get mine from a place in Layfeyette (about 20 min east of SF) The name is
escaping me right now but I'll check on it when I get home and let you know. I
haven't been there for a few months so I'm not sure about the current
selection. The Wole Foods near 4th and Mission also had Achel and Rochefort
(and maybe westy) as well as aventinus eisbock when I was in there about a
month ago. Prices were a bit higher but still decent.

mike

zeno

In article >, Grafix8888
> wrote:

> I get mine from a place in Layfeyette (about 20 min east of SF) The name is
> escaping me right now but I'll check on it when I get home and let you know. I
> haven't been there for a few months so I'm not sure about the current
> selection. The Wole Foods near 4th and Mission also had Achel and Rochefort
> (and maybe westy) as well as aventinus eisbock when I was in there about a
> month ago. Prices were a bit higher but still decent.
>
> mike

Aventinus Eisbock is one amazing drink....

A local store has a 5 year old vintage paper wrapped regular Aventinus
that I will probably try.
zeno

In article >, Grafix8888
> wrote:

> I get mine from a place in Layfeyette (about 20 min east of SF) The name is
> escaping me right now but I'll check on it when I get home and let you know. I
> haven't been there for a few months so I'm not sure about the current
> selection. The Wole Foods near 4th and Mission also had Achel and Rochefort
> (and maybe westy) as well as aventinus eisbock when I was in there about a
> month ago. Prices were a bit higher but still decent.
>
> mike

Aventinus Eisbock is one amazing drink....

A local store has a 5 year old vintage paper wrapped regular Aventinus
that I will probably try.
Mike Roebuck

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:37:03 -0400, Canadian Balloon Inflator
> wrote:

>I've read in many reports that despite the restrictions imposed by the
>monks selling at the monastery, the beer is indeed re-sold. The labels
>placed on the bottles are not even the monastery's own doing, as they only
>come with variously colored crowns.
>As I understand it, people affiliated with the importer line up and buy
>their 2 cases when the new batch is released. They then label it, ship
>it, etc. With quite a markup.
>
>Its available in most major US markets.

That's very interesting. I've never, ever seen Westvletere bottles
labelled. As you write, the coloured crown tell you which beer is in
the bottle.

--

Regards

Mike