vincent p. norris

Default ?? Yuenglinhg sold to Germans??

A friend told me he'd heard a rumor that Yuengling, America's oldest
brewery, was sold to a German firm. I find it hard to believe (and
hope it isn't true).

Anyone know the facts?

Thanks. vince norris

vincent p. norris wrote:
> A friend told me he'd heard a rumor that Yuengling, America's oldest
> brewery, was sold to a German firm. I find it hard to believe (and
> hope it isn't true).
>
> Anyone know the facts?
>
> Thanks. vince norris

Google News doesn't mention it at all (and, considering the history of
Yuengling, it'd be very surprising, to say the least). Did come across
this interesting article in the business mag INC, dated 6/24, which
notes that Yuengling is now the #5 brewer in the US.

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20040701/yuengling.html

But what I found more interesting was this statement:

Jim Koch still has a few signs lying around his office that proclaim
Boston Beer Co.
the oldest brewery in America. These days, however, Dick Yuengling lays
claim to those
bragging rights -- and has no intention of relinquishing them.

Yuengling was founded in 1829 and is legally considered the oldest
continually operating
brewery in the nation. Boston Beer Co. started brewing a year earlier,
in 1828,
but took a brief hiatus in the 1970s before Koch purchased it in 1984.

Now, there was a Boston Beer Co. that existed from 1828 to 1856 (not the
1970's, as noted) but I've NEVER heard that Koch claims it's the same
"brewery" or company as his. I know his father (or grandfather?) worked
at a number of breweries but can't recall hearing BBC mentioned as being
one of them but I suppose it's possible. But can it really be said that
Koch "bought" the "original" Boston Beer Company, or did he possibly
just buy the rights to the name from some corporate owner? I've also
never heard him claim to be the "oldest brewery" or make any claim
linking him to the original Boston Beer Company.

Also, was the family ever involved with the old Dunkirk, NY Koch Brewery?

TN: 2 Germans, 1 Bordeaux DaleW Wine 5 22-07-2008 08:58 PM
WTN two Germans Ian Hoare[_3_] Wine 1 24-12-2007 04:58 PM
Anybody have any opinions on the 2003 Germans? Jaybert41 Wine 19 29-09-2004 07:46 PM
2003 beaujolais and germans John Taverner Wine 3 19-08-2004 09:20 AM