Dan Iwerks

Default High Alcohol Content Beer

(asha34) wrote in news:d43a3d9d.0405140633.16a92ef9
@posting.google.com:

> Hi,
> I have a question for this group that might strike some of you as
> perverse. Apologies in advance. Here's the question.
> I'm having a home poker game and I'm looking for a beer with the
> most bang for the buck so to speak. I'd like pjeople to drink and be
> merry and figure that the higher the alcohol content the better. But
> I don't want to go broke in the process. Nor do I want anything so
> weirdly tasting that people won't drink it (SATB comes to mind in that
> category) Any suggestions? I've served Ommegang Abbey Ale (8.2 I
> think) and Dogfish 90. They're both delicious, were very well
> received, but I'm looking for some other good brands -- perhaps
> something a little less pricey. Any suggestions?
> Thanks for your time.

Well, while it's possible to get very good beer for a reasonable price,
it's really pretty hard to find good high-alcohol beer for cheap.
Cheaper high abv beers tend to taste like a macro mixed with corn syrup
and a shot of wood grain alcohol, so be forewarned. Also, it's hard to
put away large quantities of good, strong beer, as their complexity makes
pounding difficult.

I'd suggest just an IPA of some sort, at 6.5% or so you'll get plenty of
"bang" and it'll still be drinkable. Still, if you want ludicrously
strong stuff, here's a link to Ratebeer:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TopAlcohol.asp
Dan Iwerks thinks that the beer you're drinking probably sucks.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
Brian Lundeen

"asha34" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
> I have a question for this group that might strike some of you as
> perverse. Apologies in advance. Here's the question.
> I'm having a home poker game and I'm looking for a beer with the
> most bang for the buck so to speak.

Let me guess. You want to get everyone else so drunk they have poor
judgement at the poker table, while you sit there and secretly drink lite
beer and collect their money. ;-)

Brian

Slobby Don

Brian Lundeen wrote:

> Let me guess. You want to get everyone else so drunk they have poor
> judgement at the poker table, while you sit there and secretly drink lite
> beer and collect their money. ;-)

Lite beer? Why not Sharp's or something else NA? I found a winning
strategy for poker in Vegas. If there aren't enough drunks at the table you
are on, find a new table.

Nick Dempsey

asha34 wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a question for this group that might strike some of you as
> perverse. Apologies in advance. Here's the question.
> I'm having a home poker game and I'm looking for a beer with the
> most bang for the buck so to speak. I'd like pjeople to drink and be
> merry and figure that the higher the alcohol content the better. But
> I don't want to go broke in the process. Nor do I want anything so
> weirdly tasting that people won't drink it (SATB comes to mind in that
> category) Any suggestions? I've served Ommegang Abbey Ale (8.2 I
> think) and Dogfish 90. They're both delicious, were very well
> received, but I'm looking for some other good brands -- perhaps
> something a little less pricey. Any suggestions?
> Thanks for your time.

Would help to know where you're at.
Sprecher's Trippel is some fairly high octane stuff at $6 for four 16oz.
bottles, but not available too widely.
Bigfoot can be had for less than $10/sixpack in some places, no?

--NPD
Nels E Satterlund

Nick Dempsey wrote:

> asha34 wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I have a question for this group that might strike some of you as
> > perverse. Apologies in advance. Here's the question.
> > I'm having a home poker game and I'm looking for a beer with the
> > most bang for the buck so to speak. I'd like pjeople to drink and be
> > merry and figure that the higher the alcohol content the better. But
> > I don't want to go broke in the process. Nor do I want anything so
> > weirdly tasting that people won't drink it (SATB comes to mind in that
> > category) Any suggestions? I've served Ommegang Abbey Ale (8.2 I
> > think) and Dogfish 90. They're both delicious, were very well
> > received, but I'm looking for some other good brands -- perhaps
> > something a little less pricey. Any suggestions?
> > Thanks for your time.
> >

> Would help to know where you're at.
> Sprecher's Trippel is some fairly high octane stuff at $6 for four 16oz.
> bottles, but not available too widely.
> Bigfoot can be had for less than $10/sixpack in some places, no?

At the lower end ... Rainier Ale
Perferably in bottles , if they still make it that way

--
Nels E Satterlund I don't speak for the company, specially here
<-- Use this address for personal Email

Jimmy Brokaw

asha34 sat down at the computer and pounded the following into the
keyboard:

> I'm having a home poker game and I'm looking for a beer with the
> most bang for the buck so to speak. I'd like pjeople to drink and be
> merry and figure that the higher the alcohol content the better. But I

If you can get it in your area, try Clipper City's Small Craft Warning.
It weighs in at 7%, not as high as most bocks or triples, but as a
pils-bock hybrid it's far more likely to be well-received by ordinary beer
chuggers. Price is about $7/sixpack. It's made in Baltimore, I would
assume general East Coast distribution.

--
\\\\\ ----> <----
\\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.

Visit
http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
"Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!

Bruce Ticknor

On Fri, 14 May 2004 07:33:41 -0700, asha34 wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a question for this group that might strike some of you as
> perverse. Apologies in advance. Here's the question.
> I'm having a home poker game and I'm looking for a beer with the
> most bang for the buck so to speak. I'd like pjeople to drink and be
> merry and figure that the higher the alcohol content the better. But
> I don't want to go broke in the process. Nor do I want anything so
> weirdly tasting that people won't drink it (SATB comes to mind in that
> category) Any suggestions? I've served Ommegang Abbey Ale (8.2 I
> think) and Dogfish 90. They're both delicious, were very well
> received, but I'm looking for some other good brands -- perhaps
> something a little less pricey. Any suggestions?
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Ashley Adams

Don't know where you are from. In Canada Unibroue's "La Fin du Monde" is a
killer, coming in at 10 or 11 percent. Be quick, for two reasons.
1) Unibroue has been bought by sleemans which usaually means bad thuings
for a good beer.

2) you have about 3 seconds to pour this beer after the cap is off.
Otherwise it goes off like a hand grenade.

Another good choice would be "Bavaria 8.6"
The name say's it all.

Nemsis

Uncle Shoe's beer tasting committee.
http://www.sympatico.ca/hambrock9

The Legendary SmearMaster

Camo Silver Ice, 6-pack, 16 ounce cans, 9.0 alc by vol

strong beer

The Legendary SmearMaster

Oh yea, and its about $5.60 for a sixer of it.

Expletive Deleted

On Tue, 18 May 2004, The Legendary SmearMaster wrote:

> Camo Silver Ice, 6-pack, 16 ounce cans, 9.0 alc by vol

The Camo line of malt liquors is among the trashiest of all. Its like
rocket fuel.
Worth trying though, in the name of research.

Speaking of high Alcohol content Joseph Coulter[_9_] Wine 3 08-03-2011 03:06 AM
Alcohol content Frances Winemaking 0 21-04-2005 05:03 PM
Alcohol content Graham Gilbert Winemaking 9 13-04-2005 12:47 AM
Alcohol Content R-D-C Winemaking 64 17-01-2005 09:09 PM
High Alcohol Content Beer asha34 Beer 0 14-05-2004 03:33 PM