news.verizon.net

Default Freezing

Delurk - newbie- love reading your posts but I don't believe that I know
enough about beer - yet!

I bought a bottle of Piraat and one of SN Celebration Ale last night at a
local bottle shop (the only bottle shop in Pgh). Anyway I left them in the
car overnight, the low was 7degrees. The Piraat did not freeze, but the SN
was slush.
My questions a

Did the higher alcohol content of the Piraat keep it from freezing?

I put the frozen beer in the fridge. Will it be drinkable?

TIA - Barb

news.verizon.net wrote:

> Did the higher alcohol content of the Piraat keep it from freezing?

Sure seems like your little science experiment proved that.

> I put the frozen beer in the fridge. Will it be drinkable?

Yes. In the best of shape? Possibly not for the beer, but certainly
they'll be no harm done to you if you drink it.

Garry Simmons

> (the only bottle shop in Pgh).

Not sure where you were, but D's Six Packs and Dogs in Regent Square has
like 800 different beers in the back (warm), probably 300 of them in the
cooler up front for consumption on premises and a half dozen (usually) good
beers on tap. Mix and match all you want. Lots of interesting Belgian stuff
too if you're into that.

Garry

news.verizon.net

That is exactly where I was, it was packed. We wanted to sit for a while
and drink a few, had to go up to Murphy's and wait till the crowd thinned
out!
"Garry Simmons" > wrote in message
> > (the only bottle shop in Pgh).

> Not sure where you were, but D's Six Packs and Dogs in Regent Square has
> like 800 different beers in the back (warm), probably 300 of them in the
> cooler up front for consumption on premises and a half dozen (usually)

good
> beers on tap. Mix and match all you want. Lots of interesting Belgian

stuff
> too if you're into that.
>
> Garry

Lew Bryson

"news.verizon.net" > wrote in message
> Delurk - newbie- love reading your posts but I don't believe that I know
> enough about beer - yet!

If you're buying Piraat, you probably know enough to post.

> I bought a bottle of Piraat and one of SN Celebration Ale last night at a
> local bottle shop (the only bottle shop in Pgh). Anyway I left them in

the
> car overnight, the low was 7degrees. The Piraat did not freeze, but the SN
> was slush.
> My questions a
>
> Did the higher alcohol content of the Piraat keep it from freezing?

Maybe, but it might have been the bigger bottle if you got the 750 ml.

> I put the frozen beer in the fridge. Will it be drinkable?

Hell yeah.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

news.verizon.net

Thanks Lew, I consider that a compliment coming from you!
"Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
om...
> "news.verizon.net" > wrote in message
> > Delurk - newbie- love reading your posts but I don't believe that I know
> > enough about beer - yet!

> If you're buying Piraat, you probably know enough to post.
>
> > I bought a bottle of Piraat and one of SN Celebration Ale last night at

> > local bottle shop (the only bottle shop in Pgh). Anyway I left them in

> the
> > car overnight, the low was 7degrees. The Piraat did not freeze, but the

SN
> > was slush.
> > My questions a
> >
> > Did the higher alcohol content of the Piraat keep it from freezing?

> Maybe, but it might have been the bigger bottle if you got the 750 ml.
>
> > I put the frozen beer in the fridge. Will it be drinkable?

> Hell yeah.
>
> --
> Lew Bryson
>
> www.LewBryson.com
> Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
> available at <www.amazon.com>
> The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
> or respond to it. Spam away.

Jimmy Brokaw

news.verizon.net sat down at the computer and pounded the following into
the keyboard:

> I put the frozen beer in the fridge. Will it be drinkable?

When worrying about frozen beer, the biggest thing to watch out for
isbursting of the cap. If it bursts completely off, it's obvious, but you
also need to look for minor deformations that just barely break the
airtight-ness of the seal.

If everything looks good, chances are your beer is too.

--
\\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.

Visit
http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
"Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!

Freezing Ham [email protected] General Cooking 2 08-12-2010 01:18 AM
Freezing [email protected] Preserving 2 21-07-2007 06:25 PM
Re-Freezing OJ Terry General Cooking 1 11-11-2006 07:07 AM
What about freezing this George Newton General Cooking 5 15-10-2005 03:36 AM
Help with freezing please Daisy General Cooking 9 21-07-2005 09:19 PM