Lew Bryson

Default My Best Of 2003

I just put up my Best Of list for 2003 on my website:
http://www.lewbryson.com/buzzin.htm

It was fun to do, though not, I think, overly controversial. I mean, Victory
as the best local brewery? Duh.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Garry Simmons

"Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
om...
> I just put up my Best Of list for 2003 on my website:
> http://www.lewbryson.com/buzzin.htm
>
> It was fun to do, though not, I think, overly controversial. I mean,

Victory
> as the best local brewery? Duh.

Fun read Lew. I know what you mean about this years Celebration Ale. I'm
down to the last six-pack on my FOURTH case. And I'm the only one drinking
it. Drinking one as I type actually. Do you knowi if any of the Victory Hop
Wallop made it west to the 'burgh?

Garry

Bill Becker

"Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
om...
> I just put up my Best Of list for 2003 on my website:
> http://www.lewbryson.com/buzzin.htm
>
> It was fun to do, though not, I think, overly controversial. I mean,

Victory
> as the best local brewery? Duh.
>
> --
> Lew Bryson
>
> www.LewBryson.com
> Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
> available at <www.amazon.com>
> The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
> or respond to it. Spam away.

That was a great read, Lew.

I agree about Victory; I agree about how disappointing the 120 minute ale
is;
not being an experienced Bourbon drinker, I found the MacTarnahans
Blackwatch a bit much.
I bought a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel to see if it could shed any
light on the situation. Is this considered
a good product?

Best regards,
Bill

Bill Becker

"Garry Simmons" > wrote in message
t...

> "Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I just put up my Best Of list for 2003 on my website:
> > http://www.lewbryson.com/buzzin.htm
> >
> > It was fun to do, though not, I think, overly controversial. I mean,

> Victory
> > as the best local brewery? Duh.

> Fun read Lew. I know what you mean about this years Celebration Ale. I'm
> down to the last six-pack on my FOURTH case. And I'm the only one drinking
> it. Drinking one as I type actually. Do you knowi if any of the Victory

Hop
> Wallop made it west to the 'burgh?
>
> Garry

Oops...thanks for reminding me of the Celebration ale. It's the first year
this brew has shown up in Casper, Wyoming....
and it kicks major ass!!

Best regards,
Bill

PS: No Bigfoot for me this year, I guess. :^(

Lew Bryson

"Garry Simmons" > wrote in message news:c20Kb.1448
> "Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
> > I just put up my Best Of list for 2003 on my website:
> > http://www.lewbryson.com/buzzin.htm
> >
> > It was fun to do, though not, I think, overly controversial. I mean,

> Victory
> > as the best local brewery? Duh.

> Fun read Lew. I know what you mean about this years Celebration Ale. I'm
> down to the last six-pack on my FOURTH case. And I'm the only one drinking
> it. Drinking one as I type actually. Do you knowi if any of the Victory

Hop
> Wallop made it west to the 'burgh?

I don't know if any Hop Wallop made it west of Lancaster, Garry. We just
kind of sucked it all down.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Lew Bryson

"Bill Becker" > wrote in message news:bta2ns$4umqk$1@ID-
> "Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
> > I just put up my Best Of list for 2003 on my website:
> > http://www.lewbryson.com/buzzin.htm
> >
> > It was fun to do, though not, I think, overly controversial. I mean,

> Victory
> > as the best local brewery? Duh.

> That was a great read, Lew.

Thanks, Bill!

> I agree about Victory; I agree about how disappointing the 120 minute ale
> is;
> not being an experienced Bourbon drinker, I found the MacTarnahans
> Blackwatch a bit much.
> I bought a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel to see if it could shed

any
> light on the situation. Is this considered
> a good product?

Er, uh...hell YEAH! What year did you get? The 1994? The recent ones are
just real good stuff. It's not for every bourbon drinker (and who says it
should be?), but it's definitely good whiskey.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Rod

FOAD. I hate Besof of messages that don't say right in the subject line "I'm
giving my crappy opinion about something no one cares about, don't bother
reading
it if you don't give a rat's rectum."

"Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
om...
> I just put up my Best Of list for 2003 on my website:
> http://www.lewbryson.com/buzzin.htm
>
> It was fun to do, though not, I think, overly controversial. I mean,

Victory
> as the best local brewery? Duh.
>
> --
> Lew Bryson
>
> www.LewBryson.com
> Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
> available at <www.amazon.com>
> The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
> or respond to it. Spam away.

Lew Bryson

"Rod" > wrote in message news:n76Kb.5707
> FOAD. I hate Besof of messages that don't say right in the subject line

"I'm
> giving my crappy opinion about something no one cares about, don't bother
> reading
> it if you don't give a rat's rectum."

Sorry to have roused you out of your hole, Rod. Here, have a Pabst and go
back in.

--
Lew Bryson

"GOOD or SHITE?" -- Michael Jackson, "Thriller", 1982
www.lewbryson.com

Joel Plutchak

Bill Becker > wrote:
>"Lew Bryson" > wrote:
>> I just put up my Best Of list for 2003 on my website:
>> http://www.lewbryson.com/buzzin.htm

>I agree about how disappointing the 120 minute ale is;

Huh. And here I thought people were absolutely raving
about that one (eh, or maybe just on b[]radvocate.com).
I bought too bottles. My wife and I split the first one,
and we both agreed is was horribly sweet and underattenuated.
The second bottle will be donated to the local homebrew club
for additional commentary.
--
Joel Plutchak "We had all slipped into a silence of exquisite
plutchak@[...] fatigue with no wit to woo us. It was a special
Lew Bryson

"Joel Plutchak" > wrote in message
> Bill Becker > wrote:
> >I agree about how disappointing the 120 minute ale is;

> Huh. And here I thought people were absolutely raving
> about that one (eh, or maybe just on b[]radvocate.com).
> I bought too bottles. My wife and I split the first one,
> and we both agreed is was horribly sweet and underattenuated.
> The second bottle will be donated to the local homebrew club
> for additional commentary.

All that. But what do you think of the idea of peeling it back to a
fully-attenuated resin-burner at about 16% ABV?

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Joel Plutchak

Lew Bryson > wrote:
>"Joel Plutchak" > wrote in message
>> Bill Becker > wrote:
>> >I agree about how disappointing the 120 minute ale is;

>> ...horribly sweet and underattenuated...

>All that. But what do you think of the idea of peeling it back to a
>fully-attenuated resin-burner at about 16% ABV?

Sounds fine to me. I liked the 90-minute 'cause it
was not only quite hoppy but had some nice malt to it.
And wasn't underattenuated.
--
Joel Plutchak "We had all slipped into a silence of exquisite
plutchak@[...] fatigue with no wit to woo us. It was a special
silence. No lambs, just owls." - Neil Innes
Dan Iwerks

Nice calls. Haven't had the Bourbon Barrel Stout, but have half a
growler of Dominion's Oak Barrel Stout in my fridge at home.
Spectacular stuff. I thought Dominion was good before, but the last
year or two they've really cranked it up a notch. Thought their baltic
porter Winter Ale was killer this year, and if this year's Millenium
barleywine is as good as last year's I'll be a damn happy man.

Best beer I discovered this year was Dominion's New River Pale Ale. It's
admittedly nowhere near complex, but is probably the best session beer
I've ever had. Beautifully citric, great malt balance, and a wondrously
sticky, creamy palate. Best APA I've ever had by a long shot.
Dan Iwerks thinks that the beer you're drinking probably sucks.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
Lew Bryson

"Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message
> Nice calls. Haven't had the Bourbon Barrel Stout, but have half a
> growler of Dominion's Oak Barrel Stout in my fridge at home.

My bad; that's what I meant. Great stuff.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Dan Iwerks

"Lew Bryson" > wrote in news:4AhKb.3874$I%5.2551
@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com:

> "Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message
>> Nice calls. Haven't had the Bourbon Barrel Stout, but have half a
>> growler of Dominion's Oak Barrel Stout in my fridge at home.

> My bad; that's what I meant. Great stuff.

Ah then, yeah. Another good thing is it's starting to get distributed
locally outside the brewery. Famed local dive The Vienna Inn (across the
street from the Fresh Fields in Vienna with the great selection)
allegedly has it on tap at the moment, so you can get your Oak Barrel
Stout with their famed chili dogs or other classic greasy spoon fare.
Dan Iwerks thinks that the beer you're drinking probably sucks.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
Bill Becker

"Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
news
> Er, uh...hell YEAH! What year did you get? The 1994? The recent ones are
> just real good stuff. It's not for every bourbon drinker (and who says it
> should be?), but it's definitely good whiskey.
>
> --
> Lew Bryson
>
> www.LewBryson.com
> Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
> available at <www.amazon.com>
> The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
> or respond to it. Spam away.

Bottled in August 1993.

Best regards,
Bill

Oh, Guess

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 04:55:47 GMT, "Rod" >
wrote:

>FOAD. I hate Besof of messages that don't say right in the subject line "I'm
>giving my crappy opinion about something no one cares about, don't bother
>reading
>it if you don't give a rat's rectum."

Go **** yourself, assmunch. Bryson contributes more to these beer
newsgroups in five minutes than you'll ever be able to figure out
in your entire life.
--
Nobody You Know

Expletive Deleted

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Lew Bryson wrote:

> "Joel Plutchak" > wrote in message
> > Bill Becker > wrote:
> > >I agree about how disappointing the 120 minute ale is;

> > Huh. And here I thought people were absolutely raving
> > about that one (eh, or maybe just on b[]radvocate.com).
> > I bought too bottles. My wife and I split the first one,
> > and we both agreed is was horribly sweet and underattenuated.
> > The second bottle will be donated to the local homebrew club
> > for additional commentary.

> All that. But what do you think of the idea of peeling it back to a
> fully-attenuated resin-burner at about 16% ABV?

that's how I'd like to see it. Was there some commentary in the latest
All About Beer about how drinkable that beer is, that you can drink it in
"pints"?
Silliness, I say.

Lew Bryson

"Expletive Deleted" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Lew Bryson wrote:
> > All that. But what do you think of the idea of peeling [120 Minute IPA]

back to a
> > fully-attenuated resin-burner at about 16% ABV?

> that's how I'd like to see it. Was there some commentary in the latest
> All About Beer about how drinkable that beer is, that you can drink it in
> "pints"?
> Silliness, I say.

Yeesh. Like drinking a pint of hoppy Aunt Jemima.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Bruce Reistle

"Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message

> Nice calls. Haven't had the Bourbon Barrel Stout, but

have half a
> growler of Dominion's Oak Barrel Stout in my fridge at

home.
> Spectacular stuff.

I dig it the most.

> I thought Dominion was good before, but the last
> year or two they've really cranked it up a notch. Thought

their baltic
> porter Winter Ale was killer this year, and if this year's

Millenium
> barleywine is as good as last year's I'll be a damn happy

man.

I'll stop short of saying the Baltic Porter sucked, but it
was disappointing. Try Perkuno's Hammer.

Analogy: Dominion Baltic Porter is to Perkuno's Hammer as
Heinekin is to Prima Pils.

Lew Bryson

"Bruce Reistle" > wrote in message
> "Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message
> > Nice calls. Haven't had the Bourbon Barrel Stout, but

> have half a
> > growler of Dominion's Oak Barrel Stout in my fridge at

> home.
> > Spectacular stuff.

> I dig it the most.

Happy to say Portland Brewing DID come through with a sample of
MacTarnahan's bourbon porter, got it Thursday, and I'm really looking
forward to working it into the tasting rotation soon.

> > I thought Dominion was good before, but the last
> > year or two they've really cranked it up a notch. Thought

> their baltic
> > porter Winter Ale was killer this year, and if this year's

> Millenium
> > barleywine is as good as last year's I'll be a damn happy

> man.
> >

> I'll stop short of saying the Baltic Porter sucked, but it
> was disappointing. Try Perkuno's Hammer.

Yeah. It was a bit disappointing. I wouldn't go sucked at all, but
disappointing, yeah. Although people in DC Metro thought it was great. They
need more good Baltics.

> Analogy: Dominion Baltic Porter is to Perkuno's Hammer as
> Heinekin is to Prima Pils.

I think I just heard a big "Ouch." from over by the OD brewery.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Dan Iwerks

"Bruce Reistle" > wrote in
:

>> I thought Dominion was good before, but the last
>> year or two they've really cranked it up a notch. Thought

> their baltic
>> porter Winter Ale was killer this year, and if this year's

> Millenium
>> barleywine is as good as last year's I'll be a damn happy

> man.
>>

> I'll stop short of saying the Baltic Porter sucked, but it
> was disappointing. Try Perkuno's Hammer.
>
> Analogy: Dominion Baltic Porter is to Perkuno's Hammer as
> Heinekin is to Prima Pils.

Hey now, them's fighting words. I agree it's not as good as Perkuno's
Hammer, but I don't get Heavyweight here, so I can't get it regularly.
Thought Dominion's version was pretty darn good. Certainly didn't match
up to Heavyweight's version, but that's like saying every Belgian ale
sucks because it's not quite as good as Westy 12.
Dan Iwerks thinks that the beer you're drinking probably sucks.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
JTSherman

Dan Iwerks <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message 0>...

> Hey now, them's fighting words. I agree it's not as good as Perkuno's
> Hammer, but I don't get Heavyweight here, so I can't get it regularly.
> Thought Dominion's version was pretty darn good. Certainly didn't match
> up to Heavyweight's version, but that's like saying every Belgian ale
> sucks because it's not quite as good as Westy 12.

True that Heavyweight beers are not sold in VA, but they are sold in
MD, and a short trip over the Potomac will yield some Heavyweight
beers. I have to take those trips over to MD, just to get a steady
supply of Magic Hat beers, and its always nice to get a visit or too
in at BBC and The Brewers Art. Stylistically I don't find Winter Brew
'03 as accurate as the Hammer, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that
is was a dissapointment. Sure it could have been better, I would have
liked to see the abv higher as well, but I didn't find it at all
lacking. It was a very tasty, very drinkable dark lager. Not quite up
to snuff with most of the Baltics or the Hammer, but not miles away
either.
Expletive Deleted

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Lew Bryson wrote:

> "Bruce Reistle" > wrote in message
> > "Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message
> > > Nice calls. Haven't had the Bourbon Barrel Stout, but

> > have half a
> > > growler of Dominion's Oak Barrel Stout in my fridge at

> > home.
> > > Spectacular stuff.

> > I dig it the most.

> Happy to say Portland Brewing DID come through with a sample of
> MacTarnahan's bourbon porter, got it Thursday, and I'm really looking
> forward to working it into the tasting rotation soon.

I was pretty happy with it.
Their GranLuxe Tripel has also appeared locally, and I'm fond of that one
too.

Bruce Reistle

> Yeah. It was a bit disappointing. I wouldn't go sucked at
all, but
> disappointing, yeah. Although people in DC Metro thought

it was great. They
> need more good Baltics.
>
> --
> Lew Bryson

In general, the DC area cannot compare with, say, the Philly
area. Example: Shiner products are starting to infiltrate
the taps at good beer bars. I had some respect for Shiner
in Houston because for each Shiner sold, that meant one less
Bud was sold.

And RFD = BFD. I can say this now that I live inside the DC
beltway.

Bruce Reistle

Lew Bryson

"Bruce Reistle" > wrote in message
> In general, the DC area cannot compare with, say, the Philly
> area. Example: Shiner products are starting to infiltrate
> the taps at good beer bars. I had some respect for Shiner
> in Houston because for each Shiner sold, that meant one less
> Bud was sold.
>
> And RFD = BFD. I can say this now that I live inside the DC
> beltway.

Good to know moving hasn't changed you, Bruce!

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Bruce Reistle

"Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message

> Hey now, them's fighting words. I agree it's not as good

as Perkuno's
> Hammer, but I don't get Heavyweight here, so I can't get

it regularly.
> Thought Dominion's version was pretty darn good.

Certainly didn't match
> up to Heavyweight's version, but that's like saying every

Belgian ale
> sucks because it's not quite as good as Westy 12.
> --

Not even close. It's a lot like saying "Dominion's Baltic
Porter is an inferior version of a quality Baltic Porter."

On a hedonistic scale, it's pleasant enough. And I went out
of my way to say it didn't suck, but I have high
expectations for Dominion seasonals.

Bruce Reistle

"JTSherman" > wrote in message
om...
> Dan Iwerks <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message

0>...

> > Hey now, them's fighting words. I agree it's not as

good as Perkuno's
> > Hammer, but I don't get Heavyweight here, so I can't get

it regularly.
> > Thought Dominion's version was pretty darn good.

Certainly didn't match
> > up to Heavyweight's version, but that's like saying

every Belgian ale
> > sucks because it's not quite as good as Westy 12.

> True that Heavyweight beers are not sold in VA, but they

are sold in
> MD, and a short trip over the Potomac will yield some

Heavyweight
> beers. I have to take those trips over to MD, just to get

a steady
> supply of Magic Hat beers, and its always nice to get a

visit or too
> in at BBC and The Brewers Art. Stylistically I don't find

Winter Brew
> '03 as accurate as the Hammer, but I wouldn't go so far as

to say that
> is was a dissapointment. Sure it could have been better, I

would have
> liked to see the abv higher as well, but I didn't find it

at all
> lacking. It was a very tasty, very drinkable dark lager.

Not quite up
> to snuff with most of the Baltics or the Hammer, but not

miles away
> either.

I'd agree with what you said, although I suspect my
disappointment was due to high expectations.

Lew Bryson

"Bruce Reistle" > wrote in message
> Not even close. It's a lot like saying "Dominion's Baltic
> Porter is an inferior version of a quality Baltic Porter."
>
> On a hedonistic scale, it's pleasant enough. And I went out
> of my way to say it didn't suck, but I have high
> expectations for Dominion seasonals.

Now, that is a good point. I still remember the Triple, that was ****ING
GOOD.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Chuck Cook

Lew Bryson wrote:

> "Bruce Reistle" > wrote in message
> > Not even close. It's a lot like saying "Dominion's Baltic
> > Porter is an inferior version of a quality Baltic Porter."
> >
> > On a hedonistic scale, it's pleasant enough. And I went out
> > of my way to say it didn't suck, but I have high
> > expectations for Dominion seasonals.

> Now, that is a good point. I still remember the Triple, that was ****ING
> GOOD.

****ING right it was, Lew! Chuck C.

Dan Iwerks

"Bruce Reistle" > wrote in
:

>> Yeah. It was a bit disappointing. I wouldn't go sucked at

> all, but
>> disappointing, yeah. Although people in DC Metro thought

> it was great. They
>> need more good Baltics.
>>
>> --
>> Lew Bryson

> In general, the DC area cannot compare with, say, the Philly
> area. Example: Shiner products are starting to infiltrate
> the taps at good beer bars. I had some respect for Shiner
> in Houston because for each Shiner sold, that meant one less
> Bud was sold.

Eh, the DC area's pretty disappointing tap-wise. There's more or less a
giant dead zone in between Arlington and Old Dominion out in Ashburn with
only a few options like Hard Times or Lost Dog to get something decent on
draft. Cap City's OK and I'm not a huge Swee****er fan (I live right
near it and never go), but I'm largely annoyed that there isn't a better
bar scene here in suburbian hell.

> And RFD = BFD. I can say this now that I live inside the DC
> beltway.

Uh, yeah, well. It's like the Brick, except without the charm, and it's
got lousy expensive food instead of lousy cheap food. I go there for
beer dinners and tastings, and eat in Chinatown first. Then again, I
live a half-mile outside the Beltway, so my credibility's probably shot.
Dan Iwerks thinks that the beer you're drinking probably sucks.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.

Bill Goodman

> Eh, the DC area's pretty disappointing tap-wise.

There's always the Last Chance Saloon up in Columbia MD, though that's a
bit of a hike from northern VA especially if you plan on a serious
session...
Lew Bryson

"Bill Goodman" > wrote in message
> > Eh, the DC area's pretty disappointing tap-wise.

> There's always the Last Chance Saloon up in Columbia MD, though that's a
> bit of a hike from northern VA especially if you plan on a serious
> session...

Hate to be the one to tell you, but it's true: Last Chance closed about a
month ago. No one's really clear on why. Damned shame.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

dgs

Lew Bryson wrote:

> "Bruce Reistle" > wrote in message
>
>>In general, the DC area cannot compare with, say, the Philly
>>area. Example: Shiner products are starting to infiltrate
>>the taps at good beer bars. I had some respect for Shiner
>>in Houston because for each Shiner sold, that meant one less
>>Bud was sold.
>>
>>And RFD = BFD. I can say this now that I live inside the DC
>>beltway.

> Good to know moving hasn't changed you, Bruce!

I've been to RFD. I've, um, "dined" at RFD. And I agree with
Bruce. I've talked with Dave Alaexander and like the guy, but
maybe I'm just spoiled. I also agree with Bruce about comparison
of Philly's beer-drinkin' scene vis-a-vis DC's. And I say this
as a guy who hearts Old Dominion beers.
--
dgs

Chuck Cook

Lew Bryson wrote:

> "
> > There's always the Last Chance Saloon up in Columbia MD, though that's a
> > bit of a hike from northern VA especially if you plan on a serious
> > session...

> Hate to be the one to tell you, but it's true: Last Chance closed about a
> month ago. No one's really clear on why. Damned shame.

Never made it there, Lew, but with Baltimore so close.....now that is a beer
town. Chuck C.

Lew Bryson

"dgs" > wrote in message
> Lew Bryson wrote:
> > "Bruce Reistle" > wrote in message
> >>And RFD = BFD. I can say this now that I live inside the DC
> >>beltway.

> > Good to know moving hasn't changed you, Bruce!

> I've been to RFD. I've, um, "dined" at RFD. And I agree with
> Bruce. I've talked with Dave Alaexander and like the guy, but
> maybe I'm just spoiled. I also agree with Bruce about comparison
> of Philly's beer-drinkin' scene vis-a-vis DC's. And I say this
> as a guy who hearts Old Dominion beers.

Don't mean to argue with either of you. I was referring to Bruce's
willingness -- eagerness to call 'em like he sees 'em.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Bruce Reistle

"Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message
> "Bruce Reistle" > wrote

in
> :
>
> >> Yeah. It was a bit disappointing. I wouldn't go sucked

at
> > all, but
> >> disappointing, yeah. Although people in DC Metro

thought
> > it was great. They
> >> need more good Baltics.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Lew Bryson

> > In general, the DC area cannot compare with, say, the

Philly
> > area. Example: Shiner products are starting to

infiltrate
> > the taps at good beer bars. I had some respect for

Shiner
> > in Houston because for each Shiner sold, that meant one

less
> > Bud was sold.

> Eh, the DC area's pretty disappointing tap-wise. There's

more or less a
> giant dead zone in between Arlington and Old Dominion out

in Ashburn with
> only a few options like Hard Times or Lost Dog to get

something decent on
> draft. Cap City's OK and I'm not a huge Swee****er fan (I

live right
> near it and never go), but I'm largely annoyed that there

isn't a better
> bar scene here in suburbian hell.

I live near Lost Dog. Very pricey. They serve expensive
cheater pints, and don't list the prices for the bottled
beers, which are overpriced.

> Uh, yeah, well. It's like the Brick, except without the

charm, and it's
> got lousy expensive food instead of lousy cheap food. I

go there for
> beer dinners and tastings, and eat in Chinatown first.

Then again, I
> live a half-mile outside the Beltway, so my credibility's

probably shot.

RFD lacks personality. Personality goes a long way.

2003 Jam Isabella Woodhouse Preserving 6 29-07-2008 01:59 AM
TN: 2003 Dom de la Solitude Emery Davis Wine 1 23-07-2007 05:06 PM
First Chave, Offerus 2003, then St. Josept 2003...now 2004 Chave Cotes Du Rhone Mon Coeur Richard Neidich Wine 0 14-09-2006 05:24 PM
Chave 2003 Offerus vs Chave Domain St Joseph 2003 Richard Neidich Wine 2 13-09-2006 05:19 PM
2003 Wine MaxMustermann Wine 3 10-11-2005 08:31 AM