deMoMo

Default Looking for a specific beer

Before I begin, let me start by saying that I know little to nothing
about the beermaking process. Normally I would ask my husband this
question, but since I'm trying to find a beer for him for Christmas
(better late than never!) I can't ask him.

My husband and I were talking about the beermaking process the other
day, and he mentioned that there is some place where the beer is
brewed in open vats, instead of in closed containers. I seem to think
that it's somewhere in Europe, but I'm sure that doesn't help much!

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance.

- Melinda Hartman
March

"deMoMo" > schreef in bericht
> My husband and I were talking about the beermaking process the other
> day, and he mentioned that there is some place where the beer is
> brewed in open vats, instead of in closed containers. I seem to think
> that it's somewhere in Europe, but I'm sure that doesn't help much!
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Could that be a geuze or lambic perhaps?

Belgium is the name of the country. These small artisanal brewers need all
support they can get.

names of the good stuff a

Cantillon Geuze 100% lambik
3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze (3 fountains)
Hanssens Oude Geuze
Lindemans cuvée René
Boon Marriage Parfait
Girardin
and a few more

Note that these brewers also have a nice kriek beer available (Cherry beer)
Taste goes from super sweet (Lindemans) to very sour (Cantillon)

Check out http://welcome.to/horal for more information,

Cheers, and I think your husband will be pleased when you find one of those
above.

Gunter
www.ober.be

Bill Benzel

deMoMo ) wrote:
:
: My husband and I were talking about the beermaking process the other
: day, and he mentioned that there is some place where the beer is
: brewed in open vats, instead of in closed containers. I seem to think
: that it's somewhere in Europe, but I'm sure that doesn't help much!
:

That would be Belgiumand you're probably looking for a style generally
called Lambic. Please let us know what part of the planet you live in so
we can help you find a place to go buy -- this is not easy stuff to find
on an everyday basis.

--
Bill

reply to sirwill1 AT same domain as above
The Submarine Captain

Bill Benzel wrote:

>deMoMo ) wrote:
>:
>: My husband and I were talking about the beermaking process the other
>: day, and he mentioned that there is some place where the beer is
>: brewed in open vats, instead of in closed containers. I seem to think
>: that it's somewhere in Europe, but I'm sure that doesn't help much!
>:
>
>That would be Belgiumand you're probably looking for a style generally
>called Lambic.

Erm, may I very bluntly point out that many British breweries use open
fermenters as well, and that quite a few lager breweries in countries
such as Germany, Switzerland, Austria, the Czech Republic or Poland also
do make the primary fermentation to their beers in open fermenters...
So I wouldn't link "open fermenter" to "lambic" that exclusively... (

--
Warning : you may encounter French language beyond this point.

A propos de visions, voyez-vous toujours passer des bancs de baleines dans le ciel nocturne ?
(F'murrr)

Laurent Mousson, Berne, Switzerland

Lew Bryson

"The Submarine Captain" > wrote in message
> Bill Benzel wrote:
> >deMoMo ) wrote:
> >: My husband and I were talking about the beermaking process the other
> >: day, and he mentioned that there is some place where the beer is
> >: brewed in open vats, instead of in closed containers. I seem to think
> >: that it's somewhere in Europe, but I'm sure that doesn't help much!
> >
> >That would be Belgiumand you're probably looking for a style generally
> >called Lambic.
> >

> Erm, may I very bluntly point out that many British breweries use open
> fermenters as well, and that quite a few lager breweries in countries
> such as Germany, Switzerland, Austria, the Czech Republic or Poland also
> do make the primary fermentation to their beers in open fermenters...
> So I wouldn't link "open fermenter" to "lambic" that exclusively... (

Yeah, Magic Hat and Shipyard in the U.S. spring to mind as major examples of
open fermenter breweries as well. Chances are that the husband WAS talking
about lambics...but not anywhere near a certainty. Sorry, darling.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Bill Benzel

Lew Bryson ) wrote:
: > Erm, may I very bluntly point out that many British breweries use open
: > fermenters as well, and that quite a few lager breweries in countries
: > such as Germany, Switzerland, Austria, the Czech Republic or Poland also
: > do make the primary fermentation to their beers in open fermenters...
: > So I wouldn't link "open fermenter" to "lambic" that exclusively... (
:
: Yeah, Magic Hat and Shipyard in the U.S. spring to mind as major examples of
: open fermenter breweries as well. Chances are that the husband WAS talking
: about lambics...but not anywhere near a certainty. Sorry, darling.
:

I'm aware of that -- Ommegang uses open fermenters as well -- And Anchor.

I just kind of got "lambic" out of the context of that question. In my
experience, when people go to some lengths to bring up open fermentation
in a discussion of a beer style they're typically talking lambic!

--
Bill

reply to sirwill1 AT same domain as above
deMoMo

Lambic! That's it! As soon as I read it I couldn't figure out why I
had forgotten it.

I live in Rochester, NY and I'll be heading over to Beers of the
World. As far as I know, it's the only place nearby with much of a
selection. I could probably do better in Buffalo or Syracuse, but I
don't have time for an extra hour each way, when I still have to get
ready for Christmas Eve dinner!

Thank you to everyone for your help. You're great!

- Melinda.

(Bill Benzel) wrote in message >.. .
> deMoMo ) wrote:
> :
> : My husband and I were talking about the beermaking process the other
> : day, and he mentioned that there is some place where the beer is
> : brewed in open vats, instead of in closed containers. I seem to think
> : that it's somewhere in Europe, but I'm sure that doesn't help much!
> :
>
> That would be Belgiumand you're probably looking for a style generally
> called Lambic. Please let us know what part of the planet you live in so
> we can help you find a place to go buy -- this is not easy stuff to find
> on an everyday basis.

Bill Benzel

deMoMo ) wrote:
: Lambic! That's it! As soon as I read it I couldn't figure out why I
: had forgotten it.
:
: I live in Rochester, NY and I'll be heading over to Beers of the
: World. As far as I know, it's the only place nearby with much of a
: selection. I could probably do better in Buffalo or Syracuse, but I
: don't have time for an extra hour each way, when I still have to get
: ready for Christmas Eve dinner!
:
: Thank you to everyone for your help. You're great!
:
: - Melinda.
:

That is an excellent store I'm told -- I have a couple of friends who
visited on recent trips to Rochester. You should do well there -- try to
get a selection including at least one Lindeman's, one Hansen's, one Oud
Beersel and one Cantillon. Line 'em up for a tasting and get back to us
sometime with your preferences.

--
Bill

reply to sirwill1 AT same domain as above
The Submarine Captain

Bill Benzel wrote:

>I just kind of got "lambic" out of the context of that question. In my
>experience, when people go to some lengths to bring up open fermentation
>in a discussion of a beer style they're typically talking lambic!

Fair enough... Nevertheless kind of funny, as most of the fermentation
process, once the wort has been seeded with wild yeasts, in such
breweries as Cantillon, actually takes place in not-quite-open oak
casks... ;o)))

--
Warning : you may encounter French language beyond this point.

.... te voilà donc avec l'estomac plein de foin et les pieds humides !! Tu n'as pas honte ?
(F'murrr)

Laurent Mousson, Berne, Switzerland

The Submarine Captain

Bill Benzel wrote:

>[...] one Hansen's, [...]

If you meet any Hanssen's, I'd advise you to stay away from the
strawberry one. I found it to taste very much like, erm, well... vomit.
The oud gueuze is IMHO a much better bet

--
Warning : you may encounter French language beyond this point.

.... te voilà donc avec l'estomac plein de foin et les pieds humides !! Tu n'as pas honte ?
(F'murrr)

Laurent Mousson, Berne, Switzerland

Lew Bryson

"deMoMo" > wrote in message
om...
> Lambic! That's it! As soon as I read it I couldn't figure out why I
> had forgotten it.
>
> I live in Rochester, NY and I'll be heading over to Beers of the
> World. As far as I know, it's the only place nearby with much of a
> selection. I could probably do better in Buffalo or Syracuse, but I
> don't have time for an extra hour each way, when I still have to get
> ready for Christmas Eve dinner!

Beers of the World will do you fine, they've got an excellent lambic
selection. Premier Gourmet in Buffalo might be better, but not by a large
margin.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Bill Benzel

The Submarine Captain ) wrote:
: Bill Benzel wrote:
:
: >[...] one Hansen's, [...]
: >
: If you meet any Hanssen's, I'd advise you to stay away from the
: strawberry one. I found it to taste very much like, erm, well... vomit.
: The oud gueuze is IMHO a much better bet
:
:

I've never seen the strawberry -- if you run into their Mead Gueuze and
feel obligated to try it, make sure you chill almost to freeezing and open
it outdoors -- they're explosive. It's not all that great -- I'd
actually recommend passing on it.

--
Bill

reply to sirwill1 AT same domain as above
Oh, Guess

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:23:54 +0100, The Submarine Captain
> wrote:

>Bill Benzel wrote:
>
>>[...] one Hansen's, [...]
>>

>If you meet any Hanssen's, I'd advise you to stay away from the
>strawberry one. I found it to taste very much like, erm, well... vomit.
>The oud gueuze is IMHO a much better bet

You've been remarkably unlucky then. I've had fine bottles of
Hanssens Oudbeitje (the strawberry lambic). Nowt vomitous about
it at all. Mind you, you're spot-on about the Oude Gueze.
--
Nobody You Know

Specific foods Errol General Cooking 3 07-12-2007 04:14 PM
FA: 1-Day-Left: 6 Books: BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER! (Beer Tasting, Logs, Drinking Games, etc.) Mike[_26_] Marketplace 0 07-07-2007 01:18 PM
Any help on specific recipe apprecaaited mm General Cooking 11 08-06-2007 09:14 PM
Looking for a specific green tea. Mydnight Tea 19 28-11-2004 02:21 PM
specific gravity subflood Winemaking 5 01-11-2004 11:15 PM