Lew Bryson

Default Is there a consumer's beer contest?

"Scott T. Jensen" > wrote in message
> After watching a Food Network special on The Great American Beer Festival,
> I'm wondering if there's a beer contest where the judges secretly buy beer
> out of stores (the brewer not knowing which store) and then use these to
> compare against each other. This seems more honest judging process to
> determine which is the best beers that us consumers can purchase than the
> specially brewed, bottled, packaged, and delivered beer submitted to The
> Great American Beer Festival. Anyone know of any beer contest(s) so
> structured?

I cannot believe you guys went through all this discussion and horseshit
when there IS such a contest. The US Beer Tasting Championship buys beers in
the store (across a fairly good-sized region; they DO also accept donated
beers from brewers) and judges them. Is it perfect? Of course not. But
Victory and Dogfish Head regularly participate in this one because there are
no fees. I supply this for informational purposes only, as I have no
interest in partaking in this thread otherwise. USBTC is at
http://www.usbtc.com

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Expletive Deleted

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Scott T. Jensen wrote:

> "Oh, Guess" wrote:
> > "Scott T. Jensen" wrote:
> > >[...] This seems more honest judging process to
> > >determine which is the best beers that us consumers can
> > >purchase than the specially brewed, bottled, packaged,
> > >and delivered beer submitted to The Great American
> > >Beer Festival.

> > Eh? The beer submitted to GABF for judging is
> > wha-wha-what? The beer for judging is normally from
> > plain bottles, and is poured out of sight of the judges by
> > stewards. The judges normally see nothing but the beer...

> What you've said so far is true and was shown on the special, but that
> doesn't really mean anything as far as whether the beer was store-bought or
> specially made for the judging ... as they showed on the special.

What they showed on the special was Garrett Oliver hand bottling some of
his normally draught-only Brooklyn Brewery beers.

Expletive Deleted

Default Is there a consumer's beer contest - GABF Judging.

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Scott T. Jensen wrote:

> "Cwrw42" > wrote:
> > As the individual who was responsible for making sure that
> > our samples for judging and the kegs for the festival floor
> > were delivered on time I can state catagorically that we did
> > not brew or package special samples for the competition.

> I'm just saying what I saw and heard on that special. That you do this is
> fine, but the special clearly showed that extra care was taken by other
> contestants that wouldn't normally be done for the average consumer's beer
> bought from them.

You missesd some important detail. Aside from those brewed and bottled at
Matt's, the Brooklyn Brewery beers are draught at the brewpub.
Garrett was simply bottling those beers so they could be submitted. Its
nothing special.
Expletive Deleted

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Douglas W. Hoyt wrote:

> Maybe it's better not to have an annual contest, but to do what the Beverage
> Testing Institute does:
> http://www.tastings.com/search_beer.lasso
>
> Or for that matter, www.ratebeer.com !

Yep, now theere's your consumer beer contest. Beers are sampled mostly as
is from store shelves and draught in bars. Of course most have the
decency not to rate a beer thats obviously past its prime or has been
mishandled, but for beers that are prone to those kinds of off-tastes, the
consumer ought to know that, and it will be reflected somewhat at
ratebeer.

Its also a large representative sample, except it doesn't really represent
people who drink beer but don't like it (i.e. the swill chuggers of the
world)
Douglas W. Hoyt

horseshit when there IS such a contest. The US Beer Tasting Championship

We were just trying to wake you from your slumber. Thanks for that
URL--it is a very USEful award list because these are beers that people can
actually FIND somewhere!

Dan Iwerks

Expletive Deleted > wrote in
nn.edu:

>> Maybe it's better not to have an annual contest, but to do what the
>> Beverage Testing Institute does:
>> http://www.tastings.com/search_beer.lasso
>>
>> Or for that matter, www.ratebeer.com !
>>

> Yep, now theere's your consumer beer contest. Beers are sampled
> mostly as is from store shelves and draught in bars. Of course most
> have the decency not to rate a beer thats obviously past its prime or
> has been mishandled, but for beers that are prone to those kinds of
> off-tastes, the consumer ought to know that, and it will be reflected
> somewhat at ratebeer.
>
> Its also a large representative sample, except it doesn't really
> represent people who drink beer but don't like it (i.e. the swill
> chuggers of the world)

Plus, as someone else will likely point out, Ratebeer tends to attract a
majority of people who like big, aggressive beers (including me).
Pilsners fare comparably badly against, say imperial stouts. That being
said, from a pure data standpoint, it's got the most beer-related data
points of any place on the planet I know of.
Dan Iwerks thinks that the beer you're drinking probably sucks.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
Expletive Deleted

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, it was written:

> Expletive Deleted > wrote in
> nn.edu:

> >> Maybe it's better not to have an annual contest, but to do what the
> >> Beverage Testing Institute does:
> >> http://www.tastings.com/search_beer.lasso
> >>
> >> Or for that matter, www.ratebeer.com !
> >>

> > Yep, now theere's your consumer beer contest. Beers are sampled
> > mostly as is from store shelves and draught in bars. Of course most
> > have the decency not to rate a beer thats obviously past its prime or
> > has been mishandled, but for beers that are prone to those kinds of
> > off-tastes, the consumer ought to know that, and it will be reflected
> > somewhat at ratebeer.
> >
> > Its also a large representative sample, except it doesn't really
> > represent people who drink beer but don't like it (i.e. the swill
> > chuggers of the world)

> Plus, as someone else will likely point out, Ratebeer tends to attract a
> majority of people who like big, aggressive beers (including me).
> Pilsners fare comparably badly against, say imperial stouts. That being
> said, from a pure data standpoint, it's got the most beer-related data
> points of any place on the planet I know of.

yup, and even with that kind of bias, if one wants to know what the best
pilsners are, one can search by top ratings in that category and get good
information.
Douglas W. Hoyt

best pilsners are, one can search by top ratings in that category and get
good information.

True. It's still a cold shower to see all those top ratings at about 3.7 on
a 5 point scale where other styles are well into the 4's. It makes you
wonder what's wrong with those other styles!

And as regards 'big' beers, I picked up a six of Dogfish Head 60 Minute the
other day, and it is knockout. Completely delicious. Makes me weep.
It has all the flowery complexity that I like in Bell's Two-Hearted, but
with even more intricate gothic zooming, yet it scores below other IPA's
that are impenetrable walls of hops.

Dan Iwerks

"Douglas W. Hoyt" > wrote in
:

> best pilsners are, one can search by top ratings in that category and
> get good information.
>
> True. It's still a cold shower to see all those top ratings at about
> 3.7 on a 5 point scale where other styles are well into the 4's. It
> makes you wonder what's wrong with those other styles!
>
> And as regards 'big' beers, I picked up a six of Dogfish Head 60
> Minute the other day, and it is knockout. Completely delicious.
> Makes me weep. It has all the flowery complexity that I like in Bell's
> Two-Hearted, but with even more intricate gothic zooming, yet it
> scores below other IPA's that are impenetrable walls of hops.

Ah, fine choice. I tend to waffle between that, Hop Devil, or Dominion's
New River Pale as the finest IPA/APAs I've ever had. Still like the
monsters, as stuff like Ruination and Dreadnaught have lots of
complexity, love the battle between the mega-hops and huge malts.

When I first had 60 Minute IPA on draft, I loved it. Now that I can get
the bottled version, the draft just isn't as good any more. Something
about the character of the bottled version makes it incredibly unique,
doesn't seem to carry over to the kegged version. Would love to try it
casked, would be great to compare it directly to the bottled to see the
differences.
Dan Iwerks thinks that the beer you're drinking probably sucks.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
Lew Bryson

"Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message
> When I first had 60 Minute IPA on draft, I loved it. Now that I can get
> the bottled version, the draft just isn't as good any more. Something
> about the character of the bottled version makes it incredibly unique,
> doesn't seem to carry over to the kegged version. Would love to try it
> casked, would be great to compare it directly to the bottled to see the
> differences.

Actually, the first time I had 60 Minute on draft, I was amazed at how much
like the bottle it was. It's still good, but hasn't been like that since.
Dunno what happened.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

fr0glet

Scott T. Jensen > blurted:
> This isn't some conspiracy theory. What I state was SAID by
> microbrewers on the show, SHOWN on the show, and even one of the
> JUDGES that entered in his own beer (Dark Chocolate Stout ... if I
> remember correctly) was shown specially hand-bottling his own beer
> and stating why he's doing it.

Well, if you saw it on TV, it MUST be true!

fr0glet

Expletive Deleted

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Lew Bryson wrote:

> "Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message
> > When I first had 60 Minute IPA on draft, I loved it. Now that I can get
> > the bottled version, the draft just isn't as good any more. Something
> > about the character of the bottled version makes it incredibly unique,
> > doesn't seem to carry over to the kegged version. Would love to try it
> > casked, would be great to compare it directly to the bottled to see the
> > differences.

> Actually, the first time I had 60 Minute on draft, I was amazed at how much
> like the bottle it was. It's still good, but hasn't been like that since.
> Dunno what happened.

I recall my first and only sampling of the 60 minute: from cask on a
Friday the Firkenteenth at the Grey Lodge sometime in 2001. It was
lovely...as was the Flying Fish Farmhouse ale. Dangit I miss that! Now
I gotta put up with stuff like that silly ass beer dinner in the other
thread.