Dustin Kellogg

Default what beer?

Hello, I have always been a beer drinker, but really have drank Budweiser my
whole life, mostly because thats what my friends drink. I am looking for a
beer thats not so bitter as budweiser, maybe a little sweeter taste? can
anyone point me in the right direction. I have tried fosters, corona,
Guiness but I think thats about it, and I dont really care for any of those
especially Guiness. thank you very mucy. if you can be of help please email
me at ..

dgs

Dustin Kellogg wrote:

> Hello, I have always been a beer drinker, but really have drank Budweiser my
> whole life, mostly because thats what my friends drink.

So in other words, you don't like beer.

> I am looking for a
> beer thats not so bitter as budweiser, maybe a little sweeter taste? can

If you think Budweiser is bitter, you should probably give up beer
altogether. Budweiser is deliberately formulated to have as little
bitterness as any hopped beverage might have.

> anyone point me in the right direction. I have tried fosters, corona,

Austrialian equivalent of Budweiser (and brewed in North America under
contract) and Mexican fizzy lager. Oy, the risks some people take with
flavor!

> Guiness but I think thats about it, and I dont really care for any of those
> especially Guiness. thank you very mucy. if you can be of help please email
> me at ..

You post on Usenet, you read answers on Usenet. Everything you've
posted indicates that beer is not the beverage for you. Switch to
Bacardi Breezers or Zima or any of those other sugary alcopops.
--
DGS

fastfwd

> > I am looking for a
> > beer thats not so bitter as budweiser, maybe a little sweeter taste? can

> If you think Budweiser is bitter, you should probably give up beer
> altogether. Budweiser is deliberately formulated to have as little
> bitterness as any hopped beverage might have.

Why be such a beer snob? If the guy wants to try something better why would
you discourage him so much? The more people drinking something besides the
macros the better in my opinion.

> You post on Usenet, you read answers on Usenet. Everything you've
> posted indicates that beer is not the beverage for you. Switch to
> Bacardi Breezers or Zima or any of those other sugary alcopops.
> --
> DGS

Dustin, I'm fairly new to all of this, but I would say try something like
Newcastle Brown. I asked the question of what to offer somebody new to good
beer not too long ago and that was the answer. Goto: www.beeradvocate.com
and sign up there. Lots of helpful info and helpful people. The question
you ask is a valid one in my opinion. I always hated Budweiser myself
before I started into drinking better beer - I haven't tried one since.
It's perfectly normal for you to take a little while to acquire the taste
for good beer. The plus side is that there are thousands of them out there
to explore once you get hooked on the flavors. You may find yourself
wanting to travel a bit to find beers that aren't available in your area.
It's fun! Enjoy!

--
A sickened mind and spirit
The mirror tells me lies

THX 1138

Douglas W. Hoyt

little sweeter taste?

You might like the Chimay Blue label. It's from Belgium. It has a nice
edge of sweetness.

Oh, Guess

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:58:20 -0500, "fastfwd" >
wrote:

>> > I am looking for a
>> > beer thats not so bitter as budweiser, maybe a little sweeter taste? can

>> If you think Budweiser is bitter, you should probably give up beer
>> altogether. Budweiser is deliberately formulated to have as little
>> bitterness as any hopped beverage might have.

>Why be such a beer snob?

'Cause it's fun! C'mon, try it!

> If the guy wants to try something better why would
>you discourage him so much?

Because sometimes, a person has to recognize a fundamental truth.
And that truth just might be that said person doesn't really like the
taste of beer.

> The more people drinking something besides the
>macros the better in my opinion.

You're right in this regard, but if a person doesn't like the taste of
beer - robust malt, perhaps some hop bitterness (but not always!),
maybe an interesting fruity flavor from the yeast - why shove it down
that person's throat? There are people out there who simply don't
like the taste of honest, well-made beer.

>Dustin, I'm fairly new to all of this, but I would say try something like
>Newcastle Brown.

Why?

> I asked the question of what to offer somebody new to good
>beer not too long ago and that was the answer. Goto: www.beeradvocate.com
>and sign up there. Lots of helpful info and helpful people. The question
>you ask is a valid one in my opinion.

Of course it's valid. I asked the question myself once - long before
I knew of such a thing as Usenet and rfdb. It was the dark, primitive
era of the 1970's, after all.

>It's perfectly normal for you to take a little while to acquire the taste
>for good beer.

Point. But first - one must learn to drink, enjoy, and savor good
beer. And one must be motivated to do so.

> The plus side is that there are thousands of them out there
>to explore once you get hooked on the flavors. You may find yourself
>wanting to travel a bit to find beers that aren't available in your area.

I only wish this was true. I only wish I didn't know so many people -
especially my fellow countrymen - who were stuck in their little
suburban Bud-Light-swilling groove. Well, actually, I know a *lot* of
people who aren't, and I salute them. So, fine. Dustin, get out
there and hang those cojones over the razorblade. Please, realize
that bitter flavors are to be savored, not abhorred. Learn to enjoy
the robust maltiness of a rich ale, the piercing hop flavors of an
IPA, the rich fruity flavors of a Bavarian-style hefeweizen. But
whatever you do - quit drinking Bud. Bud is a beer made with one
thought in mind: people don't really want beer with rich flavors.
The premise of Bud is to offer a beer with as bland a flavor profile
as possible. Eschew this. Learn to savor the very things that make
beer good. M'kay?
--

Nobody You Know

Brendan Halpin

"fastfwd" > writes:

> > > I am looking for a
> > > beer thats not so bitter as budweiser, maybe a little sweeter taste? can

> > If you think Budweiser is bitter, you should probably give up beer
> > altogether. Budweiser is deliberately formulated to have as little
> > bitterness as any hopped beverage might have.

> Why be such a beer snob? If the guy wants to try something better why would
> you discourage him so much? The more people drinking something besides the
> macros the better in my opinion.

Why take the post seriously at all? Most likely it's a troll with
the flames diverted to some innocent third party's e-mail address.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-390476; Room F2-025 x 3147
Lew Bryson

"Oh, Guess" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:58:20 -0500, "fastfwd" >
> wrote:

<OP said...>> >> > I am looking for a

can

> >> If you think Budweiser is bitter, you should probably give up beer
> >> altogether. Budweiser is deliberately formulated to have as little
> >> bitterness as any hopped beverage might have.

> >Why be such a beer snob?

> 'Cause it's fun! C'mon, try it!

Jeez, Don, so's shooting fish in a barrel, then, I guess.

> > If the guy wants to try something better why would
> >you discourage him so much?

> Because sometimes, a person has to recognize a fundamental truth.
> And that truth just might be that said person doesn't really like the
> taste of beer.

How the hell would he (or you) know that if all he's tried are Bud,
Foster's, and Guinness? You're cutting him off too soon. (Yes, I realize he
may have just been trolling...but then why feed him?)

> > The more people drinking something besides the
> >macros the better in my opinion.

> You're right in this regard, but if a person doesn't like the taste of
> beer - robust malt, perhaps some hop bitterness (but not always!),
> maybe an interesting fruity flavor from the yeast - why shove it down
> that person's throat? There are people out there who simply don't
> like the taste of honest, well-made beer.

But you didn't know this guy WAS one (because what he said he didn't like
was mass-made stuff!), and you wrote him off and jumped up and down on his
head with your golf spikes on! Hell, we don't even know if he DOESN'T like
hops, just that he thinks Bud is too bitter. He CAN'T really think that,
it's physically impossible...unless what he really doesn't like is the
carbonation level, and we can address that. I'm thinking cask-conditioned
Troegs Hopback Amber as a control. Anyway, the problem here is that you've
got a guy ASKING for help, a NEWBIE in our dying newsgroup, someone who
might blossom into a regular like Bill Becker...and you pilloried him. Oh,
HE'S gonna be back, you bet.

> >Dustin, I'm fairly new to all of this, but I would say try something like
> >Newcastle Brown.

> Why?

Cuz it's not bitter? Maybe? Cuz he actually read the guy's post?

> > I asked the question of what to offer somebody new to good
> >beer not too long ago and that was the answer. Goto:

www.beeradvocate.com
> >and sign up there. Lots of helpful info and helpful people. The

question
> >you ask is a valid one in my opinion.

> Of course it's valid. I asked the question myself once - long before
> I knew of such a thing as Usenet and rfdb. It was the dark, primitive
> era of the 1970's, after all.

So he's an idiot because he's asking it now? He's what, calendrically
challenged?

> >It's perfectly normal for you to take a little while to acquire the taste
> >for good beer.

> Point. But first - one must learn to drink, enjoy, and savor good
> beer. And one must be motivated to do so.

So...it's going to take you a while to acquire the taste for good beer, but
you've got to learn to enjoy and savor it first? BLAT, that's noise. And as
far as the motivation...he's HERE, isn't he?

> > The plus side is that there are thousands of them out there
> >to explore once you get hooked on the flavors. You may find yourself
> >wanting to travel a bit to find beers that aren't available in your area.

> I only wish this was true. I only wish I didn't know so many people -
> especially my fellow countrymen - who were stuck in their little
> suburban Bud-Light-swilling groove. Well, actually, I know a *lot* of
> people who aren't, and I salute them. So, fine. Dustin, get out
> there and hang those cojones over the razorblade. Please, realize
> that bitter flavors are to be savored, not abhorred. Learn to enjoy
> the robust maltiness of a rich ale, the piercing hop flavors of an
> IPA, the rich fruity flavors of a Bavarian-style hefeweizen. But
> whatever you do - quit drinking Bud. Bud is a beer made with one
> thought in mind: people don't really want beer with rich flavors.
> The premise of Bud is to offer a beer with as bland a flavor profile
> as possible. Eschew this. Learn to savor the very things that make
> beer good. M'kay?

Hold on. Not everyone likes and savors every flavor component possible in
beer. I know significant numbers of people who don't like IPAs that roll
like kitties in catnip over weizenbock; similarly, there are a LOT of people
I would consider bona fide geeks who "just don't get Belgians." Are they
idjits? Nay.

And I'd have to say that Bud and its ilk are not about bland. They're about
alcohol, and that's what gets the whole industry in trouble.

I like you, Don, you know that. You know a hell of a lot about beer,
particularly about out-of-the-way places to find really great beer. But man,
you got a bad habit of dropping on newbies like a ton of blivets. It ain't
doing the cause a bit of good, and in the end, that doesn't do us -- or
you -- any favors. JMO.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

plutchak joel peter

fastfwd > wrote:
>> > I am looking for a
>> > beer thats not so bitter as budweiser, maybe a little sweeter taste? can

>> If you think Budweiser is bitter, you should probably give up beer
>> altogether. Budweiser is deliberately formulated to have as little
>> bitterness as any hopped beverage might have.

>Why be such a beer snob? If the guy wants to try something better why would
>you discourage him so much? The more people drinking something besides the
>macros the better in my opinion.

That would be good advice for somebody who wabted more
flavor in their beer, but this bozo troll wanted a beer
LESS BITTER THAN BUDWEISER! I thought it was particularly
bad trolling, but even if he was serious, the answer above
fits.
--
Joel Plutchak <plutchak@[...]> | Boneyard Union of Zymurgical Zealots

"I don't like beer. I tried it once and thought it was terrible."
- Overheard at a restaurant
plutchak joel peter

Lew Bryson > wrote:
>I know significant numbers of people who don't like IPAs that roll
>like kitties in catnip over weizenbock...

I've tasted a lot of beers, but I must admit I've never
tasted (or even seen) an IPA that rolled like a kitty in
catnip over weizenbock. Come to think of it, I've never
seen catnip over weizenbock. Or catnip over any style of
beer, for that matter.
--
Joel Plutchak <plutchak@[...]> | Boneyard Union of Zymurgical Zealots

"I don't like beer. I tried it once and thought it was terrible."
- Overheard at a restaurant
Lew Bryson

"plutchak joel peter" > wrote in message
> Lew Bryson > wrote:
> >I know significant numbers of people who don't like IPAs that roll
> >like kitties in catnip over weizenbock...

> I've tasted a lot of beers, but I must admit I've never
> tasted (or even seen) an IPA that rolled like a kitty in
> catnip over weizenbock. Come to think of it, I've never
> seen catnip over weizenbock. Or catnip over any style of
> beer, for that matter.

Jeez, you act like I made my living at this stuff or something...

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Brian Lundeen

"plutchak joel peter" > wrote in message

> That would be good advice for somebody who wabted more
> flavor in their beer, but this bozo troll wanted a beer
> LESS BITTER THAN BUDWEISER! I thought it was particularly
> bad trolling, but even if he was serious, the answer above
> fits.

I disagree. I have found beers for people who hate beer. Most of the
complaints I get from beer-haters is its too bitter. Megaswill doesn't seem
bitter by our standards, but it still has a bitter edge.

There's 4 directions your taste buds can go. Bitter, sweet, sour, salty.
Well, you're not going to find a salty beer, so if you don't like bitter,
that leaves two directions.... sweet and sour.

He could explore the malty sweet styles such as bocks or the tart styles
such as lambics. My wife won't drink beer, but she does like a fruit-infused
lambic or wheat beer. A friend of mine likes Rodenbach. There are beers even
for people that think they hate beer.

Sure, the OP might be a troll, but others might feel the same way and find
some serious advice useful.

Brian

MikeMcG

"Douglas W. Hoyt" > wrote in message >...

> little sweeter taste?
>
> You might like the Chimay Blue label. It's from Belgium. It has a nice
> edge of sweetness.

yeah, & it's not all heavy like Guiness :~)
dgs

Lew Bryson wrote:

> "Oh, Guess" > wrote in message
>
>>On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:58:20 -0500, "fastfwd" >
>>wrote:

> <OP said...>> >> > I am looking for a

> can

>>>Why be such a beer snob?

>>'Cause it's fun! C'mon, try it!

> Jeez, Don, so's shooting fish in a barrel, then, I guess.

Okay, so I was being just a wee tad smartass here... well, a
very big wee tad.

>>> If the guy wants to try something better why would
>>>you discourage him so much?

>>Because sometimes, a person has to recognize a fundamental truth.
>>And that truth just might be that said person doesn't really like the
>>taste of beer.

> How the hell would he (or you) know that if all he's tried are Bud,
> Foster's, and Guinness? You're cutting him off too soon. (Yes, I realize he
> may have just been trolling...but then why feed him?)

Point.

>>> The more people drinking something besides the
>>>macros the better in my opinion.

>>You're right in this regard, but if a person doesn't like the taste of
>>beer - robust malt, perhaps some hop bitterness (but not always!),
>>maybe an interesting fruity flavor from the yeast - why shove it down
>>that person's throat? There are people out there who simply don't
>>like the taste of honest, well-made beer.

> But you didn't know this guy WAS one (because what he said he didn't like
> was mass-made stuff!), and you wrote him off and jumped up and down on his
> head with your golf spikes on! Hell, we don't even know if he DOESN'T like
> hops, just that he thinks Bud is too bitter. He CAN'T really think that,
> it's physically impossible...unless what he really doesn't like is the
> carbonation level, and we can address that.

The OP gave precious little other info, though. In the absence of other
info, what do you have to go on?

> I'm thinking cask-conditioned
> Troegs Hopback Amber as a control.

How do you know that this beer is available to the OP?

> Anyway, the problem here is that you've
> got a guy ASKING for help, a NEWBIE in our dying newsgroup, someone who
> might blossom into a regular like Bill Becker...and you pilloried him. Oh,
> HE'S gonna be back, you bet.

Perhaps he ain't. Perhaps he's ballsy and he will. Perhaps if he had
Bill's attitude in the first place? Bill doesn't come across as a troll
and never had. I can't say that about the OP (Dustin) in this thread.
Of course, the OP is quite welcome to disclaim that he intended to
troll, and that indeed it was a bonafide question.

>>>Dustin, I'm fairly new to all of this, but I would say try something like
>>>Newcastle Brown.

>>Why?

> Cuz it's not bitter? Maybe? Cuz he actually read the guy's post?

Newky Broon doesn't taste much of anything, though. But if ya gotta
start somewhere, okay.

>>> I asked the question of what to offer somebody new to good
>>>beer not too long ago and that was the answer. Goto:

> www.beeradvocate.com
>
>>>and sign up there. Lots of helpful info and helpful people. The

> question
>
>>>you ask is a valid one in my opinion.

>>Of course it's valid. I asked the question myself once - long before
>>I knew of such a thing as Usenet and rfdb. It was the dark, primitive
>>era of the 1970's, after all.

> So he's an idiot because he's asking it now? He's what, calendrically
> challenged?

*sigh* No. He came across as a troll. Back in the good ol' daze,
you didn't troll Usenet because you wanted to see what the beer geeks
would say. You headed down to Ye Olde GoodBeer Shoppe in your town
(if there was such a thing) and asked the proprietor questions. Or
you picked up books - y'know, like those things you've written which
are getting the good reviews and all - and read 'em first. Or, in the
more modern context, you lurked on the newsgroup for a while, to see
what was up and what was discussed, before making a post that was
either kinda naive (in which case, yep, I was OTT in my reply), or
a troll.

>>>It's perfectly normal for you to take a little while to acquire the taste
>>>for good beer.

>>Point. But first - one must learn to drink, enjoy, and savor good
>>beer. And one must be motivated to do so.

> So...it's going to take you a while to acquire the taste for good beer, but
> you've got to learn to enjoy and savor it first? BLAT, that's noise. And as
> far as the motivation...he's HERE, isn't he?

He's here (or was, anyway). Whether the OP is actually motivated that
way is still uncertain.

>>> The plus side is that there are thousands of them out there
>>>to explore once you get hooked on the flavors. You may find yourself
>>>wanting to travel a bit to find beers that aren't available in your area.

>>[...] So, fine. Dustin, get out
>>there and hang those cojones over the razorblade. Please, realize
>>that bitter flavors are to be savored, not abhorred. Learn to enjoy
>>the robust maltiness of a rich ale, the piercing hop flavors of an
>>IPA, the rich fruity flavors of a Bavarian-style hefeweizen. But
>>whatever you do - quit drinking Bud. Bud is a beer made with one
>>thought in mind: people don't really want beer with rich flavors.
>>The premise of Bud is to offer a beer with as bland a flavor profile
>>as possible. Eschew this. Learn to savor the very things that make
>>beer good. M'kay?

> Hold on. Not everyone likes and savors every flavor component possible in
> beer. I know significant numbers of people who don't like IPAs that roll
> like kitties in catnip over weizenbock;

Damn. You been drinkin', aintcha? I only wish that *I* had composed
that sentence.

> similarly, there are a LOT of people
> I would consider bona fide geeks who "just don't get Belgians." Are they
> idjits? Nay.

Fair 'nuff.

> And I'd have to say that Bud and its ilk are not about bland. They're about
> alcohol, and that's what gets the whole industry in trouble.

Then my advice is still right: quit drinking Bud. A-B sells half the
beer in the USA anyway.

> I like you, Don, you know that. You know a hell of a lot about beer,
> particularly about out-of-the-way places to find really great beer. But man,
> you got a bad habit of dropping on newbies like a ton of blivets. It ain't
> doing the cause a bit of good, and in the end, that doesn't do us -- or
> you -- any favors. JMO.

Yeah, you have a point. Perhaps my troll detector has a bit of a hair-
trigger, and went kerblooie on the wrong target. Okay, so we got a noob
who may or may not be here again, and so far, there have been a few
suggestions: a casked amber ale, Newkie Broon, ... what else? A fruit-
flavored sweet lambic, like Belle-Vue or De Troch or Lindemans? Or a
fruit-flavored Belgian brown like Liefmans Kriek? Ephemere from
Unibroue? Hoegaarden Wit to get away from the allegedly-bitter flavors
that the OP claims not to like?
--
DGS

Douglas W. Hoyt

You mean that bitter stuff?

Douglas W. Hoyt

find some serious advice useful.

Krikey yes. SOMEbody has got to get conversation going. And bitter Bud is
a fun one.

Lew Bryson

"dgs" > wrote in message
> Lew Bryson wrote:
> > I'm thinking cask-conditioned
> > Troegs Hopback Amber as a control.

> How do you know that this beer is available to the OP?

Oh, screw him, I want to do the experiment on myself; I figger I'll have to
have at least six pints a day for a week to prove my hypothesis.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Steve Jackson

"Brian Lundeen" > wrote in message

> There's 4 directions your taste buds can go. Bitter, sweet, sour, salty.
> Well, you're not going to find a salty beer, so if you don't like bitter,
> that leaves two directions.... sweet and sour.

Or maybe bitter. I've seen plenty of people who say they don't like
"bitter," when it's not actually a bitter taste they're reacting to. There's
something they don't like there, they can't put their finger on it, and
that's the best they can come up with. It may actually be the acetaldehyde
flavor in Bud they don't like, or the corny/sulfury notes in some industrial
lagers have or any of the other things in there that aren't particularly
tasty.

-Steve

Oh, Guess

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 02:35:05 GMT, "Lew Bryson"
> wrote:

>"dgs" > wrote in message
>> Lew Bryson wrote:
>> > I'm thinking cask-conditioned
>> > Troegs Hopback Amber as a control.

>> How do you know that this beer is available to the OP?

>Oh, screw him, I want to do the experiment on myself; I figger I'll have to
>have at least six pints a day for a week to prove my hypothesis.

Now that's the Lewie I know and wuv. Drink up, big guy.

Had a nice little session earlier today sampling Unibroue's
range. Not a bad thing to do on a Wednesday.
--
Nobody You Know

plutchak joel peter

Douglas W. Hoyt > wrote:

>find some serious advice useful.
>
>Krikey yes. SOMEbody has got to get conversation going. And bitter Bud is
>a fun one.

Alsmost as good as the guy who railed (in the rec.crafts.brewing
newsgroup IIRC) on Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as undrinkable hop juice.
--
Joel Plutchak <plutchak@[...]> | Boneyard Union of Zymurgical Zealots

"I don't like beer. I tried it once and thought it was terrible."
- Overheard at a restaurant
plutchak joel peter

Douglas W. Hoyt > wrote:

>You mean that bitter stuff?

Bitter, as heavy as 10W30 motor oil, and really, really
alcoholic. Nasty stuff, that.
--
Joel Plutchak <plutchak@[...]> | Boneyard Union of Zymurgical Zealots

"I don't like beer. I tried it once and thought it was terrible."
- Overheard at a restaurant

Lew Bryson

> >You mean that bitter stuff?

> Bitter, as heavy as 10W30 motor oil, and really, really
> alcoholic. Nasty stuff, that.

"Guinness isn't a drink, it's a meal in a glass!"
--Any number of dipshits on Epinions

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

The Submarine Captain

Brian Lundeen wrote:

>I disagree. I have found beers for people who hate beer. Most of the
>complaints I get from beer-haters is its too bitter. Megaswill doesn't seem
>bitter by our standards, but it still has a bitter edge.

A lady I know, who "doesn't like beer" encountered a glass of Anchor
Liberty, I treacherously slipped into her hand a few months back.
Whithin minutes she was looking very happy, and told me "y'know, I like
that one because it's not bitter" ... there you are, three times the
bitterness units of a Bud, yet it does not seem bitter... just shows how
biased the idea of bitterness people have can be.

Cheers !

Laurent

--
Warning : you may encounter French language beyond this point.

- Dis, tu as un bottin...
- Oui, je sais, on me l'a souvent dit !!
- UN ANNUAIRE !
(F'murrr)

Laurent Mousson, Berne, Switzerland