David Horne

Default British pubs with waitresses

Alan Harrison > wrote:

> "MrFalafel" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > Slug and Lettuce ranks just behind Wetherspoons pubs as the most
> > souless pubs in the UK. Most airport lounges have better atmosphere
> > (and beer) than those places

> I don't agree. I've generally found Wetherspoon's OK, or better, on beer
> quality, and I like the "no recorded music, no big screen football" policy
> amenable (tho' I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the latter plague has
> found its way into the one in Charing X Road). They are also refreshingly
> cheap in London, where most boozers charge over two quid a pint.

I'd also mention they usually have large, well-ventilated non-smoking
areas. I couldn't care a bit about the ambience of a pub if I have to
inhale other people's smoke- which is why I usually don't go to pubs
with "ambience."

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Deep Freud Moors

Alan Harrison > wrote in message

> "MrFalafel" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > Slug and Lettuce ranks just behind Wetherspoons pubs as the most
> > souless pubs in the UK. Most airport lounges have better atmosphere
> > (and beer) than those places

> I don't agree. I've generally found Wetherspoon's OK, or better, on beer
> quality, and I like the "no recorded music, no big screen football" policy
> amenable (tho' I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the latter plague has
> found its way into the one in Charing X Road). They are also refreshingly
> cheap in London, where most boozers charge over two quid a pint.

I have never found a pub in London where beer costs around £2 a pint!
Usually it's up around the £3 mark!
---
DFM

Paul Shirley

In message
<1g2jcx1.3bbbx91r7kmonN%this_address_is_for_spam@y ahoo.co.uk>, David
Horne > writes
>Alan Harrison > wrote:
>
>> "MrFalafel" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>
>> > Slug and Lettuce ranks just behind Wetherspoons pubs as the most
>> > souless pubs in the UK. Most airport lounges have better atmosphere
>> > (and beer) than those places

>> I don't agree. I've generally found Wetherspoon's OK, or better, on beer
>> quality, and I like the "no recorded music, no big screen football" policy
>> amenable (tho' I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the latter plague has
>> found its way into the one in Charing X Road).

You're going to be really upset then: JDW have announced a move toward
music in more pubs, driven by its success in Lloyds No1 outlets.

>I'd also mention they usually have large, well-ventilated non-smoking
>areas. I couldn't care a bit about the ambience of a pub if I have to
>inhale other people's smoke- which is why I usually don't go to pubs
>with "ambience."

I've taken advantage of many JDW smoke free areas, only one (The
Imperial in Exeter) was actually smoke free. Smoke free areas are a
cruel joke in almost all cases ;(

--
Paul Shirley: email anti-spammed
Swan&Rushes,Leicester: Cider&Cheese festival this weekend

Default British pubs for sociologists

Hi,

yea but you still have to settle up at the end based on the number and
sometimes type of plates you've got stacked up... and there's still the
matter of getting beer to go with the sushi...

--
"Disperse, you rebels -- Damn you, throw down your arms and disperse!"
Maj. John Pitcairn (British Army), Lexington, Mass., April 19, 1775

MrFalafel

"Deep Freud Moors" > wrote in message >.. .
> Alan Harrison > wrote in message
> >
> > "MrFalafel" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >
> > > Slug and Lettuce ranks just behind Wetherspoons pubs as the most
> > > souless pubs in the UK. Most airport lounges have better atmosphere
> > > (and beer) than those places

> > I don't agree. I've generally found Wetherspoon's OK, or better, on beer
> > quality, and I like the "no recorded music, no big screen football" policy
> > amenable (tho' I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the latter plague has
> > found its way into the one in Charing X Road). They are also refreshingly
> > cheap in London, where most boozers charge over two quid a pint.
> >

> I have never found a pub in London where beer costs around £2 a pint!
> Usually it's up around the £3 mark!
> ---
> DFM

Cittie of York pub on Holborn, near Chancery Lane tube station, is a
Samuel Smiths pub and sells very good beer for under £2 a pint. Plus,
it has very interesting historical decor, atmosphere and is a great
place to meet people. This is the type of pub most tourists want to
see rather than a sterile hotel lobby like Wetherspoons pubs.

MrFalafel

"Alan Harrison" > wrote in message >...
> "MrFalafel" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > Slug and Lettuce ranks just behind Wetherspoons pubs as the most
> > souless pubs in the UK. Most airport lounges have better atmosphere
> > (and beer) than those places

> I don't agree. I've generally found Wetherspoon's OK, or better, on beer
> quality, and I like the "no recorded music, no big screen football" policy
> amenable (tho' I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the latter plague has
> found its way into the one in Charing X Road). They are also refreshingly
> cheap in London, where most boozers charge over two quid a pint.
>
> Alan Harrison

Different strokes for different folks, but the atmosphere of a pub is
as important as the pints they serve.

The Wetherspoons in Islington is usually full of old men muttering to
themselves before shuffling off with their plastic bags. The patrons
of the wetherspoons in Camden is a veritable whos-who of mental
illness and the wetherspoons in Farringdon is where people go before
commiting suicide from boredom. If you've found a wetherspoons to your
liking then congratulations. But would you really recommend one of
them to a tourist who's interested in experiencing 'a London pub'?
David Horne

Paul Shirley > wrote:

> You're going to be really upset then: JDW have announced a move toward
> music in more pubs, driven by its success in Lloyds No1 outlets.

Well, I won't go to them, then.

> >I'd also mention they usually have large, well-ventilated non-smoking
> >areas. I couldn't care a bit about the ambience of a pub if I have to
> >inhale other people's smoke- which is why I usually don't go to pubs
> >with "ambience."

> I've taken advantage of many JDW smoke free areas, only one (The
> Imperial in Exeter) was actually smoke free. Smoke free areas are a
> cruel joke in almost all cases ;(

The ones I've been in were well-ventilated, and in some cases,
completely cut off from smoking areas.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
David

> > I've taken advantage of many JDW smoke free areas, only one (The
> > Imperial in Exeter) was actually smoke free. Smoke free areas are a
> > cruel joke in almost all cases ;(

On us smokers undoubtedly. No smoking at the bar. I must loan my cigar
when I approach the bar for drinks with the obscure ruling.
Dave
David Horne

David > wrote:

> On us smokers undoubtedly. No smoking at the bar. I must loan my cigar
> when I approach the bar for drinks with the obscure ruling.

Oh, my heart bleeds for you.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk

congokid

In article >, MrFalafel
> writes

>Cittie of York pub on Holborn, near Chancery Lane tube station, is a
>Samuel Smiths pub and sells very good beer for under £2 a pint. Plus,
>it has very interesting historical decor, atmosphere and is a great
>place to meet people. This is the type of pub most tourists want to
>see rather than a sterile hotel lobby like Wetherspoons pubs.

It's practically my local, though for some unknown [1] reason most
people I work with tend to drink at Holborn Colony on Brooke Street.

[1] - most likely because it's the nearest drinking hole to the office.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Alan Harrison

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> The Wetherspoons in Islington is usually full of old men muttering to
> themselves before shuffling off with their plastic bags.

Now, if it was the Uxbridge one, that could be me!

> If you've found a wetherspoons to your
> liking then congratulations. But would you really recommend one of
> them to a tourist who's interested in experiencing 'a London pub'?

Depends how well I know the area, and what I know about it. Generally
they're a safe bet in a strange place. I would certainly recommend, say, the
one in Broad Street, Birmingham, over the nearby "yoof" venues.

Alan Harrison

Samantha Hall

HEY YOU I WORK FRO WETHERSPOON YOUR NOT GOING TO THE RIGHT ONES THE PUB I
WORK AT HAS THE BEST ATMOSPHERE FRIENDLY STAFF GOOD LOOKING BAR STAFF AND
THE BEST BEER IN TOWN AND THE SLUG AND LETTUCE IS WAY BEHIND US ON SALES
MORON
"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> (MikeMcG) wrote in message

. com>...
> > Reid© > wrote in message

>. ..
> > > Following up to Andy Bolstridge

waitress

> > > sounds like my sort of place.

> > hmm, keg only draught beer (IIRC Stella, Kronenbourg &
> > JohnSmithSmooth*) in a town which until recently boasted one of the
> > best old breweries in the country (Brakspear - "one of the best"
> > because it was a beautiful old place & made great beer) & Henley still
> > has one of my favourite pubs - The Bird In Hand, where (shock!) you
> > still have to go to the bar yourself to get simple food & stunningly
> > good cask beers.
> >
> > (* actually I'm thinking of Henley's BarMed, but I suspect the range
> > in S&L isn't much better)
> > cheers
> > MikeMcG

> Slug and Lettuce ranks just behind Wetherspoons pubs as the most
> souless pubs in the UK. Most airport lounges have better atmosphere
> (and beer) than those places. They are better avoided at all costs.
> You can always find a good local near a Slug and Lettuce, there is
> never a need to go into one.

Hatunen

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:58:18 +0100, "Samantha Hall"
> wrote:

>HEY YOU I WORK FRO WETHERSPOON YOUR NOT GOING TO THE RIGHT ONES THE PUB I
>WORK AT HAS THE BEST ATMOSPHERE FRIENDLY STAFF GOOD LOOKING BAR STAFF AND
>THE BEST BEER IN TOWN AND THE SLUG AND LETTUCE IS WAY BEHIND US ON SALES
>MORON

You used to be a telegrapher, right?

or is using one of the text/speech things

--
"Disperse, you rebels -- Damn you, throw down your arms and disperse!"
Maj. John Pitcairn (British Army), Lexington, Mass., April 19, 1775

Reid©

Following up to Samantha Hall

>MORON

Don't be so hard on yourself with your sig file, "Sam" would be
fine.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:43:50 +0100, Reid© wrote:

> Following up to Samantha Hall

>>MORON

> Don't be so hard on yourself with your sig file, "Sam" would be
> fine.

LOL !
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Adrian

Samantha Hall ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

>> Slug and Lettuce ranks just behind Wetherspoons pubs as the most
>> souless pubs in the UK. Most airport lounges have better atmosphere
>> (and beer) than those places. They are better avoided at all costs.
>> You can always find a good local near a Slug and Lettuce, there is never
>> a need to go into one.

> HEY YOU I WORK FRO WETHERSPOON YOUR NOT GOING TO THE RIGHT ONES THE PUB I
> WORK AT HAS THE BEST ATMOSPHERE FRIENDLY STAFF GOOD LOOKING BAR STAFF AND
> THE BEST BEER IN TOWN AND THE SLUG AND LETTUCE IS WAY BEHIND US ON SALES
> MORON

So.....

JDW has illiterate staff who bellow abuse at customers, while thinking that
sales figures are the sole arbiter of which pub is "better" from a customer
point of view?

Okay...... This might explain quite a bit....

Any JDW Management lurking? That's Samantha Hall, works at one of your pubs
with a S&L nearby. She might benefit from a bit of charm training...
Arthur Figgis

As Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:58:18 +0100 appeared fresh and rosy-fingered,
"Samantha Hall" > wrote:

>HEY YOU I WORK FRO WETHERSPOON YOUR NOT GOING TO THE RIGHT ONES THE PUB I
>WORK AT HAS THE BEST ATMOSPHERE FRIENDLY STAFF GOOD LOOKING BAR STAFF AND
>THE BEST BEER IN TOWN AND THE SLUG AND LETTUCE IS WAY BEHIND US ON SALES
>MORON

Is the reason this message came so long after the others in the thread
because there is only one person serving up messages, but three
assorted managers stood watching that one person? Maybe the Caps Lock
key is broken, but it is "against policy" to warn people of this
before they try to type?
--
Arthur Figgis
PeterE

Arthur Figgis ]> wrote:
> As Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:58:18 +0100 appeared fresh and rosy-fingered,
> "Samantha Hall" > wrote:
>
>> HEY YOU I WORK FRO WETHERSPOON YOUR NOT GOING TO THE RIGHT ONES THE
>> PUB I WORK AT HAS THE BEST ATMOSPHERE FRIENDLY STAFF GOOD LOOKING
>> BAR STAFF AND THE BEST BEER IN TOWN AND THE SLUG AND LETTUCE IS WAY
>> BEHIND US ON SALES MORON

> Is the reason this message came so long after the others in the thread
> because there is only one person serving up messages, but three
> assorted managers stood watching that one person? Maybe the Caps Lock
> key is broken, but it is "against policy" to warn people of this
> before they try to type?

Not to mention Samantha being a top-poster, of course....

--
http://www.stockportpubs.org.uk
"If laws are to be respected, they must be worthy of respect."

Alan

In message >, PeterE
> wrote
>Arthur Figgis ]> wrote:
>> As Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:58:18 +0100 appeared fresh and rosy-fingered,
>> "Samantha Hall" > wrote:
>>
>>> HEY YOU I WORK FRO WETHERSPOON YOUR NOT GOING TO THE RIGHT ONES THE
>>> PUB I WORK AT HAS THE BEST ATMOSPHERE FRIENDLY STAFF GOOD LOOKING
>>> BAR STAFF AND THE BEST BEER IN TOWN AND THE SLUG AND LETTUCE IS WAY
>>> BEHIND US ON SALES MORON

>> Is the reason this message came so long after the others in the thread
>> because there is only one person serving up messages, but three
>> assorted managers stood watching that one person? Maybe the Caps Lock
>> key is broken, but it is "against policy" to warn people of this
>> before they try to type?

>Not to mention Samantha being a top-poster, of course....

All pints served in a JDW outlet have a large top of froth.
--
Alan

MikeMcG

] (Arthur Figgis) wrote in message >...
> As Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:58:18 +0100 appeared fresh and rosy-fingered,
> "Samantha Hall" > wrote:
>
> >HEY YOU I WORK FRO WETHERSPOON YOUR NOT GOING TO THE RIGHT ONES THE PUB I
> >WORK AT HAS THE BEST ATMOSPHERE FRIENDLY STAFF GOOD LOOKING BAR STAFF AND
> >THE BEST BEER IN TOWN AND THE SLUG AND LETTUCE IS WAY BEHIND US ON SALES
> >MORON

> Is the reason this message came so long after the others in the thread
> because there is only one person serving up messages, but three
> assorted managers stood watching that one person? Maybe the Caps Lock
> key is broken, but it is "against policy" to warn people of this
> before they try to type?

Samantha (turn the caps-lock off, &/or calm down & accept the
possibility that...) someone may have criticised JDW as being soulless
& lacking atmosphere (& you disagree) because you have different
experiences & expectations of pubs in general? I have had pleasant
enough nights in a couple of JDWs, but they've not added much to the
night, apart from (regularly, but not always) fairly good beer & a
roof; wheras stunning pubs have character, warmth, excellent beer,
memorableness (is that even a word?) and more which IMO are things
that chain-pubs (JDW,Pitcher&Piano,AllBarOne,Hogshead,Firkin,etc,e tc)
seldom achieve one of, never mind several or all of them.

I've just spent the night in a ScotCo (orchard inns?) chain pub & it
was pleasant enough (e.g. OK beer range, & they happily exchanged the
2 off pints they served me! plus q a fun pubquiz) but despite the beer
range, pleasant furnishings, decent wine list, nice food on offer,
etc, etc; it was only OK, nothing special - and even at their best
that's all that I think chain pubs ever will be; but that's OK for me,
because I think there's enough of us who want more than McDonalds to
eat, & chainpub to drink, & Dido to listen to...
cheers
MikeMcG
Steve Jackson

"MikeMcG" > wrote in message
om...

> I've just spent the night in a ScotCo (orchard inns?) chain pub & it
> was pleasant enough (e.g. OK beer range, & they happily exchanged the
> 2 off pints they served me! plus q a fun pubquiz) but despite the beer
> range, pleasant furnishings, decent wine list, nice food on offer,
> etc, etc; it was only OK, nothing special - and even at their best
> that's all that I think chain pubs ever will be; but that's OK for me,
> because I think there's enough of us who want more than McDonalds to
> eat, & chainpub to drink, & Dido to listen to...

Being a Yank, my experience with Weatherspoon and the other pubcos is pretty
limited to a couple trips to the UK. But, it strikes me that bashing JDW and
their ilk is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, roughly the equivalent of
my coming up with the startling observation that McDonald's is hardly as
good as a nice local restaurant with a great burger made from freshly ground
chuck with a roll made from the local bakery, etc.

It also strikes me that jumping on the JDW-bashing bandwagon is a bit
disingenuous. Maybe from a business perspective this is true, but in terms
of pub character, they're hardly monolithic. The handful of Weatherspoon's
pubs I've been in have all been remarkably different in character, fitting
the neighbrohood, the building it's in, etc. Sure, there are commonalities,
some overly commercial aspects. But I give them credit for not being a
cookie-cutter chain, as opposed to so many American chains (whether simple
restaurants or drinks places) where every outlet is virtually
indistinguishable from any other, with identical decor and often identical
layouts.

I can think of one Weatherspoons I've been in (in Middleton, if I remember
right) that was downright pleasant. I can think of another one, in central
Manchester, that was downright sterile and ridiculously trendoid. Of course,
both of these (and another in Manchester) were visited during the record
heat wave in August, and they all had air conditioning, so they were quite
delightful just for being able to not be drenched in sweat just from sitting
around. That could skew my impressions...

It seems to me better to judge the merits of each individual outlet than to
tar the entire chain with the same brush.

-Steve

plutchak joel peter

Hatunen > wrote:
> wrote:
>>HEY YOU I WORK FRO WETHERSPOON YOUR NOT GOING TO THE RIGHT ONES THE PUB I
>>WORK AT HAS THE BEST ATMOSPHERE FRIENDLY STAFF GOOD LOOKING BAR STAFF AND
>>THE BEST BEER IN TOWN AND THE SLUG AND LETTUCE IS WAY BEHIND US ON SALES
>>MORON

>You used to be a telegrapher, right?

No, it's just so loud in that pub that she has to shout all the
time.
--
Joel Plutchak <plutchak@[...]> | Boneyard Union of Zymurgical Zealots

"I don't like beer. I tried it once and thought it was terrible."
- Overheard at a restaurant

The Pubs of Oxford James Baker Beer 0 23-03-2010 11:32 PM
Pubs near M.I.T. Bruce Weaver Beer 5 31-10-2006 01:15 AM
most pubs in britain?? [email protected] Beer 1 17-04-2006 06:40 PM
brew pubs in NYC pink ataraxia Beer 4 20-04-2004 12:36 AM
Seattle pubs Will Vaughan Beer 5 04-11-2003 03:40 AM